Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/30/2021 6:42:05 AM   
Mock726

I am having trouble figuring out how to withdraw troops from an enemy controlled island. I can get an empty amphibious TF to the island, and keep it there for a while, but the troops don't load whatever combination of orders I try. The BB's in the TF absorb the damage from the coastal guns, so the Troop carrying vessels are not being sunk, they are not loading either. I am wondering what combination of mode and orders is needed, for both the Amphib TF and the ground units.
The Japanese heavily outnumber the Allied units and attack or bombard every turn. There are six Allied units, do some need to stay while others load? The amphib has five times as much capacity as is required to carry them all.
Post #: 1
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/30/2021 11:07:29 AM   
btd64

What scenario, date, ships? Are the troops still in combat mode? You only have 18 posts, but can you now post screen shots of the TF and the Ground units?....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 2
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/30/2021 11:25:53 AM   
RangerJoe

Combat mode and amphibious TF should load your troops. You should see at least one device loaded per ship if the orders are working. It will take awhile to load.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/30/2021 1:36:45 PM   
BBfanboy

An alternative is to form a Fast Transport TF and order it to the hex, then change the mission type to "Pick Up Troops". That option is only available after the destination is set. The troops and some light equipment will be loaded but the heavy gear is left behind. Troops should be in Combat Mode. This will not be enough to pick up all the troops you have but getting cadres out to ensure part of the unit survives should be a goal.

Patrol aircraft can also carry out a "Pick Up Troops" mission, but might balk at the enemy controlled hex. Normally they do this mission to extract a zombie unit from a non-base coastal hex with no enemy troops.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 4
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/31/2021 4:46:11 AM   
Mock726

After much experimentation I figured out the problem.

When an Amphib TF is made the default values are “Retirement Allowed” and “Unload Cargo”.
When the TF is sailing to the pickup island it is empty, so these are fine.

Turn 1 the TF arrives at the pickup island, empty, you must have selected “Remain on Station” to get it to stick there. Because you can't pre-select the units to be removed and must do it after arrival.

Turn 2 you can select which units the TF will pickup.

Turn 3 the TF loads the units you selected. BUT, if you left the TF set on “Unload Cargo” it will then immediately unload them, that same turn.

Once the “load these” orders have been given you CAN change the order “Remain on Station” to “Retirement Allowed” as you prefer. But you MUST change the “Unload Cargo” to “Do Not Unload” if you have not already done so.

Note: When the TF was loading/unloading on the same turn defenders shot at the Amphib TF, a lot. When the Amphib TF just loads and leaves it did not get shot at. So if you Amphib TF is being shot at a lot it is because you are unloading stuff. Scrolling notes in lower left also contained messages about elements of the units on the island “merging”. Thus showing they were in fact divided, loaded, then immediately unloaded and merged. All in one turn.

I might have assumed that the Retirement/No Retirement command would be triggered as soon as the loading was completed. Nope, after loading it then checks that Unload/No Unload flag and only after executing that does it finally check the Retirement Allowed versus Remain on Station flag. Sequences of events do have consequences.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/31/2021 6:20:35 AM   
BBfanboy

You are getting there, but a few things are not quite right:

When you first dispatch the Amphib TF on turn 1, you can set "Remain on Station" at that point. You do not have to wait for it to arrive - indeed, if it still has "Retirement Allowed" and has enough operations points left on the turn it arrives, it will start its return journey before you have a chance to change that order. Another wrinkle - sometimes if there is an enemy threat like bomber aircraft within range of the target hex, the TF will balk at going into that zone. To overcome this you should go to the TF Routing page and change the orders to "Direct" routing and "Absolute" threat tolerance. Having an aggressive commander for the TF also helps ensure the mission is carried out.

You can set "Do Not Unload" before your TF starts the mission so that you do not forget it when the TF arrives at the target hex.

Once you have selected the units to load, you can set the destination that you want the TF to go to. If you change the TF orders to "Retirement Allowed" without setting a new destination it will retire to its home base. Often that is not where you want to take the troops. Leaving the TF with "Remain on Station" and setting the destination you want to take the troops to will ensure the TF goes there and remains there until you get a chance to change the load orders to "Unload Cargo".

The enemy did not fire at your troops and ships during the withdrawal because they did not have a CD Unit or Naval Fortress at their base. The artillery and machine guns that their other units had fired during your landing phase but the game seems to model the enemy being pushed back way from the beaches so that your withdrawal did not face the same attack.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 6
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 7/31/2021 8:40:06 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mock726

When an Amphib TF is made the default values are “Retirement Allowed” and “Unload Cargo”.

Turn 1 the TF arrives at the pickup island, empty, you must have selected “Remain on Station” to get it to stick there. Because you can't pre-select the units to be removed and must do it after arrival.

Turn 3 the TF loads the units you selected. BUT, if you left the TF set on “Unload Cargo” it will then immediately unload them, that same turn.

Once the “load these” orders have been given you CAN change the order “Remain on Station” to “Retirement Allowed” as you prefer. But you MUST change the “Unload Cargo” to “Do Not Unload” if you have not already done so.

Note: When the TF was loading/unloading on the same turn defenders shot at the Amphib TF, a lot. When the Amphib TF just loads and leaves it did not get shot at. So if you Amphib TF is being shot at a lot it is because you are unloading stuff. Scrolling notes in lower left also contained messages about elements of the units on the island “merging”. Thus showing they were in fact divided, loaded, then immediately unloaded and merged. All in one turn.

I might have assumed that the Retirement/No Retirement command would be triggered as soon as the loading was completed. Nope, after loading it then checks that Unload/No Unload flag and only after executing that does it finally check the Retirement Allowed versus Remain on Station flag. Sequences of events do have consequences.

There was no need to "figure" this out, particularly as you haven't done it correctly for a naval evacuation anyway.

The correct technique to effect a naval evacuation is detailed in s.6.3.3.4 of the manual. Who da thunk the answer would be contained in a section titled "Naval Evacuations". Tricky those devs who wrote the manual, hiding the answer in plain sight.

Alfred

(in reply to Mock726)
Post #: 7
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:12:41 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

There was no need to "figure" this out, particularly as you haven't done it correctly for a naval evacuation anyway.

The correct technique to effect a naval evacuation is detailed in s.6.3.3.4 of the manual. Who da thunk the answer would be contained in a section titled "Naval Evacuations". Tricky those devs who wrote the manual, hiding the answer in plain sight.

Alfred

Dude, many of us have politely asked you to chill-out with your patronizing responses.

What is your malfunction? Mock was sharing with us how he figured it out so there was no pressing need for you to open your dirty, filthy mouth.

God knows you wouldn't mouth off to me like you did to him if we we're in the same room.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:50:40 AM   
mattj78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Dude, many of us have politely asked you to chill-out with your patronizing responses.

What is your malfunction? Mock was sharing with us how he figured it out so there was no pressing need for you to open your dirty, filthy mouth.

God knows you wouldn't mouth off to me like you did to him if we we're in the same room.

people like Alfred keep people away from this forum and as a result the game it really is a turn off considering how good this community is he is a wrecking ball

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 9
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 4:21:15 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Oh look, the troll Rusty1961 is back.

The troll who in a decade plus of being on this forum, has failed to provide any correct game advice. Whose own game posts have always demonstrated a complete and utter lack of game skill and knowledge.

A troll who never misses an opportunity to jump in to make an ad hominem post, which is totally unrelated to the threads subject matter, against anyone who has ever forensically demonstrated the inaccuracies of his souffle "contributions".

A troll who has claimed to be an engineer but whose lack of logic in addressing AE problems raises serious questions as to how he ever qualified and worked as one.

Yes, a troll whose every single AE post were to be deleted, not a single piece of AE knowledge would be lost.

A troll whose every OT thread demonstrates the validity of the old saying, "misery loves misery". Never constructive, but like a pig in mud, always relishing an opportunity to disparage, on a fact free basis, public officials and programs.

Yes, the troll is back. Soon to make another ad hominem attack because let's face it, he is the scorpion of the famous fable.

Alfred

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 10
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 4:45:03 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattj78

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

people like Alfred keep people away from this forum and as a result the game it really is a turn off considering how good this community is he is a wrecking ball

Another fact free ad hominen poster.

Where is your track record of providing value to the game. Or are you the sorcerers apprentice when it comes to the world of trolldom.

Where is your evidence to support your claim. Ever considered that people contact me disproving your baseless claim.

Your post demonstrates you prefer to allow detailed incorrect technique to be posted. Commentary posted in such a manner that it easily misleads inexperienced players to incorrectly believe it is the correct technique.

You find me a problem, well go back to your echo chamber where everyone's ego is massaged irrespective of the merits of the comment. I don't award participation certificates to the little kids who run last; only podium finishers get a medal. An echo chamber which is very similar to the fable of the land of the blind where the one eyed was king.

Alfred

(in reply to mattj78)
Post #: 11
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 5:27:20 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Alfred provides a lot of good information for those people who will accept it. But people do need to read the manual and then find out what is there, then if things work differently ask questions.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 12
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 1:17:51 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Alfred provides a lot of good information for those people who will accept it. But people do need to read the manual and then find out what is there, then if things work differently ask questions.

Irrelevant. It isn't what he says, it is how he says it. But you have a file of Neo-Nazi symbols you routinely post so I really find everything you say to be deleterious to all rational discourse.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 1:18:42 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Another fact free ad hominen poster.

Where is your track record of providing value to the game. Or are you the sorcerers apprentice when it comes to the world of trolldom.

Where is your evidence to support your claim. Ever considered that people contact me disproving your baseless claim.

Your post demonstrates you prefer to allow detailed incorrect technique to be posted. Commentary posted in such a manner that it easily misleads inexperienced players to incorrectly believe it is the correct technique.

You find me a problem, well go back to your echo chamber where everyone's ego is massaged irrespective of the merits of the comment. I don't award participation certificates to the little kids who run last; only podium finishers get a medal. An echo chamber which is very similar to the fable of the land of the blind where the one eyed was king.

Alfred

Like I said, you're a keyboard tough-guy.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 1:44:26 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Irrelevant. It isn't what he says, it is how he says it. But you have a file of Neo-Nazi symbols you routinely post so I really find everything you say to be deleterious to all rational discourse.

Then you should give an accurate answer to the questions that people ask.

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 15
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:31:55 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Full-blown collection of Neo-nazi memes. You really are a winner.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:34:25 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

He is. People are afraid of him-why I don't know- but I'm always going to call him out when he spews his hate against people who make simple comments or observations.

(in reply to mattj78)
Post #: 17
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:36:06 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Of all the "people" on this forum who could tell anyone else to chill out with the slightest bit of credibility, you are the very last one on the list. Just go away.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 18
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 2:44:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 19
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 3:30:11 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Why Matrix tolerates your celebration of Nazism is illuminating.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 3:37:26 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Just relax . . .

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 21
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 3:54:29 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Of all the "people" on this forum who could tell anyone else to chill out with the slightest bit of credibility, you are the very last one on the list. Just go away.

Apparently you prefer to see what I write as you've had how many years to put me on "block"?

Actions speak louder than words.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 22
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 3:56:19 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Just relax . . .

Notice how comfortable the "Alfred sycophants" are with RJ's display of neo-Nazi memes? Never do they take him to task for said displays.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 23
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 4:21:22 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Just relax . . .

Notice how comfortable the "Alfred sycophants" are with RJ's display of neo-Nazi memes? Never do they take him to task for said displays.

For you . . .

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 24
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 5:32:57 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Apparently you prefer to see what I write as you've had how many years to put me on "block"?

When and where I choose to use the green button doesn't change the fact that you are the forum member with the least credibility when you tell anyone else to chill.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 25
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 6:38:05 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

When and where I choose to use the green button doesn't change the fact that you are the forum member with the least credibility when you tell anyone else to chill.

You choose not to use said button as you obviously care about what I have to say and you are addicted to the drama you create.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 26
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 8:05:11 PM   
rustysi

Security!!!!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 27
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 8:06:58 PM   
rustysi

People, people, let's not get our panties in a bunch.

Its been a bad enough day for me as it is.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 28
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/1/2021 8:22:40 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

People, people, let's not get our panties in a bunch.

Its been a bad enough day for me as it is.

Just relax!

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 29
RE: Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island - 8/3/2021 2:42:10 PM   
Lowpe

Wow, kind of sorry I opened this thread!

Back to the OP...this is by far and away one of my favorite orders and very frequently used as I generally play Japan.

There is definitely some depth in the orders here, and the local task force and ship Captains also make their own decisions based on local conditions and intel -- it is always quite exciting as you generally can't predict exactly what will happen.

Pay specific attention to do not unload option, and the risk & path settings for the task force, and the distance and fuel available on the ships and when you set the home port.

Enjoy!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Withdrawing troops from enemy controlled island Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI