Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick Questions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 2:21:11 PM   
loki100

put them on a large well stocked depot, that should work or in the SR if you can spare them.

remember that in the early phase as the Soviets you have an overall lack of support squads so even in the best of situations it can take a while to fit out a HQ

(in reply to erikbengtsson)
Post #: 901
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 2:36:56 PM   
erikbengtsson

While I can get Armies and Corps to the SR, I haven't been able to transfer Fronts there. How can I get a Front HQ to the SR?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 902
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 2:50:57 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: erikbengtsson

While I can get Armies and Corps to the SR, I haven't been able to transfer Fronts there. How can I get a Front HQ to the SR?

yep you're right, just tested and you can't move Fronts off the map or to the reserve. So only solution is to base them on big depots (which is where they should be in any case)

Post #: 903
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 5:24:12 PM   
freeboy

My ?
I did motorized a division as German and all seems good except the on board counter does not change showing new status which it definitely has ??? Is there a way without using edit of changing the counter?? IE counter shows as non moterized inf still

(in reply to briklebritt)
Post #: 904
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 5:37:14 PM   
loki100

I don't think so but I'm not clear how to mod things, maybe ask in the modding forum?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 905
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 6:12:28 PM   
KG_Chipaev

I've seen a lot of playthrough videos set up defensive lines with units at "every other hex." Can someone explain why this is the preferable method over a defensive line that is utilizing every hex or conversely one that is utilizing a unit with 2 hexes between them?

Thanks!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 906
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 6:19:58 PM   
loki100

its very situational, but basically ZoC consume movement and its mobility not firepower that will kill you.

so in the early game if the Soviet player sets up linear defensive lines they are risking the axis to break it at 2 spots and then pocket the central units. if they defend in every hex and in depth behind it then they are less likely to lose too much in pockets.

Once the initial phase is over, then yes usually defend with a solid line but always think of depth and think of the MP cost for some hexes (ie let the terrain defend for you)

(in reply to KG_Chipaev)
Post #: 907
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 9:00:35 PM   
freeboy

think about slowing down with too few troops

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 908
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 9:23:37 PM   
Beethoven1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

its very situational, but basically ZoC consume movement and its mobility not firepower that will kill you.

so in the early game if the Soviet player sets up linear defensive lines they are risking the axis to break it at 2 spots and then pocket the central units. if they defend in every hex and in depth behind it then they are less likely to lose too much in pockets.

Once the initial phase is over, then yes usually defend with a solid line but always think of depth and think of the MP cost for some hexes (ie let the terrain defend for you)

But in addition to ZoC, another important factor that can slow the Axis advance are combat delays. If you only have a unit every other hex, then Germany can do an attack to rout a Soviet unit out of the way. Then, typically, a combat delay will be created in the hex where the Soviet unit was. But then Germany can move into the neighboring un-defended hex without taking a combat delay.

For this reason, it can also be good to have a continuous line of defense, so that there are no paths Germany can move forward through without taking a combat delay.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 909
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/27/2021 9:27:15 PM   
loki100

agree, its a completely situational judgement. A continuous line is better but not at the expense of some defence in depth.

as so often, its a case of picking the least worst option for the circumstances

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 910
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 6:58:32 AM   
KG_Chipaev

Do railways provide any bonus to the (non-rail) movement of units in a similar way that roads do? In other words, given two nearly identical hexes, one with a railroad and one without, is there any benefit to travelling on the former in terms of movement cost?

Thanks!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 911
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 7:29:29 AM   
loki100

no - see the movement tables in section 38.7.1 for all the variables that might apply

(in reply to KG_Chipaev)
Post #: 912
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 9:11:59 AM   
glenhope

At the start of the '41 campaign the Germans do not want to release the southern soviet forces but they move the mountain div near the border west of Lvov without entering
the SU. This "captures" a hex inside the Soviet border because there is no Russian ZOC in the corner hex. This hex is south of 187 so this releases the Soviet southern forces, right? If so, oops.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 913
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 9:55:45 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: glenhope

At the start of the '41 campaign the Germans do not want to release the southern soviet forces but they move the mountain div near the border west of Lvov without entering
the SU. This "captures" a hex inside the Soviet border because there is no Russian ZOC in the corner hex. This hex is south of 187 so this releases the Soviet southern forces, right? If so, oops.

no, its both conditions that must be satisfied so its not just south of the relevant hex, its south and east. So operating south of Przemsyl is absolutely fine, just be careful if you cross the Dnestr on that sector.

(in reply to glenhope)
Post #: 914
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 10:58:17 AM   
glenhope

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: glenhope

no, its both conditions that must be satisfied so its not just south of the relevant hex, its south and east. So operating south of Przemsyl is absolutely fine, just be careful if you cross the Dnestr on that sector.

Are you sure? The rules say 'south or east'.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 915
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 1:07:33 PM   
carlkay58

You must control a hex that has BOTH coordinates > 187. If only a single coordinate is > 187 then you are okay still.

(in reply to glenhope)
Post #: 916
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 1:16:39 PM   
glenhope

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

You must control a hex that has BOTH coordinates > 187. If only a single coordinate is > 187 then you are okay still.

Thx. The rules need to be amended to make this clear because the way it is written is not the same as you have said.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 917
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 6:07:48 PM   
erikbengtsson

Is there any way for Soviet to repair rail during the early game, or do I have to wait until I can build rail repair units?

(in reply to glenhope)
Post #: 918
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/28/2021 6:57:35 PM   
loki100

quote:

Is there any way for Soviet to repair rail during the early game, or do I have to wait until I can build rail repair units?

you get some auto repair units in your starting OOB and can build some extras if you want. That should give you some capacity (given that I doubt you'll be recapturing much in the period June-December 1941). Dump them in Stavka and it will work fine.

Post #: 919
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/7/2021 9:45:01 AM   
squatter

In the combat screen, is the initial CV of the enemy shown (the figure on the left, not the final CV) the true CV of th enemy units, before HQ checks and HQ SUs are assigned etc? The question being, is this number 100% accurate?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 920
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/7/2021 9:52:53 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

In the combat screen, is the initial CV of the enemy shown (the figure on the left, not the final CV) the true CV of th enemy units, before HQ checks and HQ SUs are assigned etc? The question being, is this number 100% accurate?

yes, it will capture the base cv and all the pre-battle modifiers in 23.8.3 and 23.8.4

edit - there is a small but important issue here, the game uses recon by combat as one of its core aspects. So if you want to find out stuff, then running interdiction bombing for eg can be as useful as conventional air recon. No great help in 1941 when both sides are relatively well off for recon planes but by 1943 the Soviets are down to a couple of suitable air groups for each major front, sending out some Pe-2s on an interdiction run can compensate.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 8/7/2021 1:35:59 PM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 921
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/7/2021 1:21:13 PM   
erikbengtsson

Will Anti Air support units participate in ground combat if;

A) attached to a combat unit?
B) commited to combat by a HQ?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 922
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/7/2021 1:37:54 PM   
loki100

quote:

Will Anti Air support units participate in ground combat if;

A) attached to a combat unit?
B) commited to combat by a HQ?

yes, usual constraints that it must be the HQ that directly controls the ground units and so on. Also some AA elements are pretty useless and others like the German 88 and Soviet 85mm can readily shred any armour that they can hit.

Post #: 923
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/8/2021 5:50:37 AM   
Acidman

Two questions. Version: 1.01.00_beta exe

Playinng as the russians, I have made all tank/rifle brigades support units in HQ, or directly to units. However, I don't see the "convert" button to put these brigades back to the map.
There is no stacking in the hexm so what am I missing here?

The secon question is to change russian aircraft to the naval ones, for example IL2m3's to the torpedo version. I dont even see those planes in the pop up at all, only typical ground attackers. There are naval planes in the pool.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 924
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/8/2021 9:39:29 AM   
loki100

tank brigades are only off map support units so can't go to the map

If I remember, you get a few naval airgroups from 1943 onwards and these certainly use the torpedo variant of the Il-2. But you can't create/convert air groups.

Check the air reinforcement schedule, should give you some idea of what becomes available when

(in reply to Acidman)
Post #: 925
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 8/8/2021 11:44:49 AM   
Acidman

Thanks for answering.

What about rifle brigades? They are map units, but once I make support I can't make the map units anymore. I might missunderstand what multi-role mieans, as I thought it meant I could move those units back and forth as on/off map whenever I wanted.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 926
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 8/8/2021 3:45:26 PM   
gw15

I have a Hurricane unit in the NR but I cannot figure out how to get it on the map. It's not on the list of units when I want to add AOG's or air units. Does it require a special AOG or command?

(in reply to Jajusha)
Post #: 927
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 8/10/2021 6:09:55 AM   
James80

Perhaps I am missing something. I want to change some combat support units to an HQ and clicked on the hq and loocked for possible combat support units. The list was empty. But it was possible to push one combat support unit to that hq.

E.g.
I clicked on II Rum Corps and the list was empty. If I click on Mnt RM Crps and on an howitzer unit I can change the hq of this unit to II Rum Corps. Am I doing sth wrong? Is it WAD?

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 928
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 8/10/2021 7:00:25 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: James80

Perhaps I am missing something. I want to change some combat support units to an HQ and clicked on the hq and loocked for possible combat support units. The list was empty. But it was possible to push one combat support unit to that hq.

E.g.
I clicked on II Rum Corps and the list was empty. If I click on Mnt RM Crps and on an howitzer unit I can change the hq of this unit to II Rum Corps. Am I doing sth wrong? Is it WAD?

would really need an image but the most likely reason is the difference between the ability to push SU to a HQ (limited by the command range of the current controlling HQ) and to pull a SU to a HQ (mainly limited by the command chain).

So as an eg, at the game start 11A cannot pull SU from OKH (as it starts in the Rumanian command chain), but OKH can push SU to 11A since it is in the command range.

So your 2 corps have no command chain link (? - guess) but are in command range, so can't pull but can push.

This is one of those oddities now so deeply embedded in the core game code that I don't think can be done any other way

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 929
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 8/10/2021 12:36:22 PM   
James80

Thanks, loki

quote:

So your 2 corps have no command chain link (? - guess) but are in command range, so can't pull but can push.

This is one of those oddities now so deeply embedded in the core game code that I don't think can be done any other way

You have figured it out even without screenshots.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI