Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing windows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> North Africa Scenario Open Beta >> NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing windows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing windows - 4/29/2021 1:02:43 AM   
Christolos

So I posted about this here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=5010258

But I have now found that the issue is with the NA scenario.

What I did was play a PBEM NA scenario turn, quit the game, and then restarted my computer and got the Windows blue screen of death which coincided with a 1.6 Gb memory dump. So it has nothing to do with switching from one PBEM game to another, just playing the NA scenario.

To confirm this, after my computer recovered from the blue screen restart, I played a PBEM 39 scenario turn and did the same thing, i.e., quit the game and restarted the computer, but this time, did not get the blue screen of death message/memory dump.
This leads me to believe that there is some issue with the NA scenario causing this. It could be that this only occurs with the NA scenario played by PBEM, as I played it quite a bit against the AI first and never noticed the issue.

Alvaro, please help!

C

< Message edited by Christolos -- 4/29/2021 1:03:02 AM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Post #: 1
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 4/29/2021 6:24:12 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I used to be in I.T. support and usually BSODs are usually some hardware issue.

#1 PC specs
#2 Operation System
#3 Is it only N.A. campaign or is it all scenarios?
#4 Post the error log when it comes back up.

Error game logs are here
C:\Users\"your user ID"\AppData\LocalLow\Kraken Studios\WarPlan\player.log

Easiest fix is uninstall, reinstall, update in case anything got corrupted.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 2
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 4/29/2021 6:24:36 PM   
AlvaroSousa

How did I not see this message yesterday?

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 3
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 4/29/2021 9:08:54 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

I used to be in I.T. support and usually BSODs are usually some hardware issue.

#1 PC specs
#2 Operation System
#3 Is it only N.A. campaign or is it all scenarios?
#4 Post the error log when it comes back up.

Error game logs are here
C:\Users\"your user ID"\AppData\LocalLow\Kraken Studios\WarPlan\player.log

Easiest fix is uninstall, reinstall, update in case anything got corrupted.

Hi Alvaro,

Many thanks for your attention to this matter!

#1:

#2: Windows 10

#3: I have not tried any other scenario yet except for the NA scenario first against the AI, where I never really noticed the issue, but in this case I never restarted the computer except with hard restarts, so... I only noticed the issue once I started playing the NA scenario by PBEM followed by some PBEM turns with the 39 scenario, then back to some PBEM NA turns in which I noticed the top bar menu screens appearing blank and eventually becoming completely locked, but only after about maybe 3 or 4 turns or so (I can't remember exactly). The game never suffered any CTDs, so I have no game error messages in the player.log that I can see, nor any files in the crash folder. This forced me to force quit (because the game was locked/frozen) using the Task Manager. I then proceeded to restart the computer, and only then did I see the BSOD upon restarting, which I could recover from. I also noticed a huge memory dump had occurred (with CCleaner). I then tried to see what would happen if I only played one turn of my NA PBEM game and then restart the computer, i.e., before it could freeze up, and I again noticed the BSOD (and memory dump) upon restarting.

4#: I see nothing by way of any text that could be related to an error in the player.log file I currently have, but maybe that is because the file gets refreshed each time...or is it a running log? I will reproduce the issue and see what it shows and post it in a follow-up post.

I ran a full hardware (Dell support) diagnostics on my computer and everything is fine.

My understanding is that, yes, while BSODs can indicate some hardware issues, they can also occur when Windows encounters some issues that it cannot handle, which I presume could sometimes mean software related issues. These software related issues typically involve improperly installed or corrupted software, or settings, meaning that it is usually fixable. So reinstalling could be the fix, I hope.

Would reinstalling cause me to lose the current PBEM games I have going?

Best regards,

C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Christolos -- 4/29/2021 9:37:18 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Post #: 4
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 5/2/2021 1:13:22 AM   
AlvaroSousa

Reinstalling would not damage PBEM games.

When does the BSOD happen? When it loads? When you end turn?

If you are having one it is possible the graphics memory is bad. Update and check direct X

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 5
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 5/4/2021 9:20:21 PM   
Christolos

So my issue was due to bad memory management, which I found and was able to fix with a system scan (sfc/scanow) following the steps indicated here: https://recoverit.wondershare.com/computer-problems/windows-10-blue-screen-memory-management.html

C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Christolos -- 5/4/2021 9:22:19 PM >

-Aristotle-

Post #: 6
RE: NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing wi... - 8/12/2021 12:30:39 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Good you got it resolved.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> North Africa Scenario Open Beta >> NA scenario causing memory dumps due to crashing windows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI