Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Coral Sea-Missing CVs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Coral Sea-Missing CVs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 1:58:03 PM   
Zerosen4281857

I recently played the 'Coral Sea' scenario as the Americans, against the AI playing as the Japanese. During the campaign, aircraft from USS Lexington attacked two IJN CVs, reporting four hits on each CV. The post-battle report stated that both enemy CVs were seriously damaged and there were no further naval air attacks by the IJN for the rest of the scenario. At the end of the scenario, the ships were not listed as sunk or damaged. Did the AI scuttle the carriers?

Dave
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 3:08:35 PM   
Leandros

Damaged ships and planes are not noted in the the information screen, only in the combat report - I think...

Fred
-----

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Zerosen4281857)
Post #: 2
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 3:10:00 PM   
BBfanboy

There are a number of possibilities:

- the carriers burned up and sank (I don't think the AI scuttles damaged ships - that would entail some extra coding around assessing damage vs. possible ways to try and save the carrier. I think the AI just uses the repair capability within the carrier and at certain levels of damage, changes destination to the nearest friendly port)

- the carriers put out their fires and survived. They were then sent off-map for repairs.

- there was some FOW that showed you more bomb hits than really happened and the carriers were put out of action, but went to an on-map base to repair damage. The scenario is so short that they will never make it back into action.

You can check a few things to assess what happened:

- re-run the turns where they were damaged and listen for sinking sounds during the "ships crews repair damage" steps.
- look at the aircraft losses and see if a lot of carrier planes were ground losses - meaning they went down with the ship. This is not foolproof because the planes could have been in the air when their ship was attacked and they diverted to Rabaul or other IJ bases.
- look at the victory points by category. Sinking those two carriers would be a huge boost to the VPs for Japanese ships sunk.
- If you reached the end of the scenario, you should be able to check the losses for both sides.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 8/12/2021 3:12:22 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zerosen4281857)
Post #: 3
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 7:27:26 PM   
drum_taps

I'm finding with my limited experience with AE, I'm in late Oct 1942 in my game, it is best to look at opponent ship sinking the same you should look a death in Game Of Throne's. Unless to see the dead body your own eyes don't believe it. Even then don't. I've sunk multiple carriers more than once. And a few weeks in game time ago I got word the BB Fuso is back after I have sunk that ship 4 times already. My intelligence officers show no shame.

The Seventh can handle anything it meets. --
George Armstrong Custer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 7:33:30 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: drum_taps

I'm finding with my limited experience with AE, I'm in late Oct 1942 in my game, it is best to look at opponent ship sinking the same you should look a death in Game Of Throne's. Unless to see the dead body your own eyes don't believe it. Even then don't. I've sunk multiple carriers more than once. And a few weeks in game time ago I got word the BB Fuso is back after I have sunk that ship 4 times already. My intelligence officers show no shame.

FOG OF WAR is a beautiful thing isn't it. I once sank a Japanese CV 5 times. Twice by the same sub....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to drum_taps)
Post #: 5
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/12/2021 11:40:05 PM   
RangerJoe

You can always turn the Fog Of War off and see what actually sank. Or exit what you have and check what the other side has by loading their side. The computer does not care either way . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: Coral Sea-Missing CVs - 8/13/2021 1:25:37 AM   
drum_taps

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: drum_taps

FOG OF WAR is a beautiful thing isn't it. I once sank a Japanese CV 5 times. Twice by the same sub....GP

There was a minute, just a minute, that I thought the Fuso repeated sinkings were a running gag in the game.

The Seventh can handle anything it meets. --
George Armstrong Custer

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Coral Sea-Missing CVs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI