Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sturm Squad Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Scenario Data / Map Issues >> Sturm Squad Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sturm Squad Problem - 8/13/2021 2:51:15 PM   
AngularMan

So I started the Vistula to Berlin Campaign an noticed some odd behaviour of Sturm Squads. As you can see in the screenshot, something seems to be wrong with their performance AND the displayed numbers. Clearly, 0.7 HPE * 80 Elements should be 56 and not 6 hits (which is an abysmal performance compared to the other infantry squads).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AngularMan -- 8/13/2021 3:00:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sturm Squad Problem - 8/13/2021 2:56:37 PM   
AngularMan

Here is the Savegame. I think this scenario will be hard enough for the Germans without their Sturm Squads not being able to hit a barn door ;)

Edit: OK, I sifted through some of the other opening battles in this scenario and it doesn't seem to be a problem with the StG 44, the Pioneer 44 squads seem to hit just fine with it. But the Sturm Squads(-), of which there are quite a few, are hilariously bad. Supposedly, they have 8 modern assault rifles, but they hit less with them than Rifle Squads 43 with 5 regular Karabiner 98!

Maybe I am not understanding the battle system well enough, but that sure seems fishy to me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AngularMan -- 8/13/2021 6:31:53 PM >

(in reply to AngularMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Sturm Squad Problem - 8/13/2021 6:28:05 PM   
DrHiramTemple

Can't comment on the effectiveness of sturm squads, but I've noticed a display error wherein hits-per-elements less than 0.1 will drop their leading zero after the decimal, so a 0.05 will display as 0.5. You can see this quite obviously if you sort by HPE on the combat screen. Doing the math, the sturm squads have a true HPE of .075, so that seems to be what's happened here.

(in reply to AngularMan)
Post #: 3
RE: Sturm Squad Problem - 8/13/2021 6:36:22 PM   
AngularMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrHiramTemple

Can't comment on the effectiveness of sturm squads, but I've noticed a display error wherein hits-per-elements less than 0.1 will drop their leading zero after the decimal, so a 0.05 will display as 0.5. You can see this quite obviously if you sort by HPE on the combat screen. Doing the math, the sturm squads have a true HPE of .075, so that seems to be what's happened here.

You are correct, I just noticed that, too.

By the way, here is another battle in which you can see that the Sturm Squads are outperformed by regular Rifle Squads 43:

It's really a regular occurrence.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AngularMan -- 8/13/2021 6:43:28 PM >

(in reply to DrHiramTemple)
Post #: 4
RE: Sturm Squad Problem - 8/14/2021 4:50:16 PM   
AngularMan

Playing around with the editor, I think I found a more serious problem. Giving the Squad more StGs, or more ammunition, all that didn't solve the problem.

And then it hit me, the reason why the Pioneer44 squads perform similarly with only 2 StG44s is that the quantity modifier doesn't matter much, if at all. So I gave the Sturm Squad 4x2 StGs instad of 1x8 StGs, and voilà, they performed much better and closer to expectation. Both squads should have 8 StGs, but the outcome is far from the same.

Unfortunately that points to much bigger problems with infantry fights: squads with more diverse weaponry perform better. Even an additional pistol is better than just adding another StG44via the quantity modifier. Thus, squads restricted to just one weapon tend to perform poorly.

Maybe that's WAD, but I don't know why it would be ... I don't think 4x2 should be better than 1x8

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AngularMan -- 8/14/2021 5:14:46 PM >

(in reply to AngularMan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Scenario Data / Map Issues >> Sturm Squad Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI