Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weather Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Weather Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weather Question - 8/18/2021 5:23:44 AM   
loudscott

Here is a previous convo that was close to the target: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5058900&mpage=1&key=weather%2Ctable�

Questions is as follows; Manual states the "Dominating Weather" is given by table on page 141 of the hardcover manual (See Below). You cross reference the particular hexes' given climax zone with the time of year/turn. Result is a letter indicating clear, rain, heavy rain, snow, blizzard, Thor is appearing, etc. etc. Obviously this can then be amended by the weather fronts and such, blah blah blah, rolls, rolls, checks and rolls. The question here is:

If Game Turns are a week and there are 4 weeks in month why are there only 3 columns under every month heading? What the evil hell am I missing here

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by loudscott -- 8/18/2021 5:28:06 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 7:40:15 AM   
loki100

it keys off the turn start date, so in a given month there will be at least 2 weeks with the same column (often 2 will share).

Different scenarios have different start dates so for eg week start dates per turn are different in Stal-Berlin than they are in the main campaign.

So in your case Aug I will cover any turn that has an opening day of 1-10 August and so on

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 2
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 1:52:55 PM   
loudscott

Appreciate the response Loki as always.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 3:05:00 PM   
baloo7777

I find that weather chart somewhat humorous. Playing against the Russian AI, this game I'm on right now and seemingly most others I have played through 1941, it is Turn 5 and from Turn 3 until now I have had light mud in the north (rain) and last turn (4) it was raining as far south as Kiev. I wrote about a similar problem with bad luck dice rolls on the weather in a different thread and someone questioned my having rain and light mud on Turn 3 or 4, and yet here I am again. I look at the above chart and see that July is all clear turns yet turn 3 saw rain all around the Pskov area with light mud. I should probably not keep saving over the same game save so I'd have a record, but I don't care about it enough I guess. I just seem to have bad luck over most of my AI games. My point is, the above weather table is very misleading as you can have a rain and mud area in July and August 1941, and it can make a huge difference in slowing down the advance.

JRR

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 4
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 3:27:05 PM   
loudscott

EXACTLY why I was digging into the mechanics of the whole thing. I was having the exact same issue.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 5
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 3:44:27 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

I find that weather chart somewhat humorous. Playing against the Russian AI, this game I'm on right now and seemingly most others I have played through 1941, it is Turn 5 and from Turn 3 until now I have had light mud in the north (rain) and last turn (4) it was raining as far south as Kiev. I wrote about a similar problem with bad luck dice rolls on the weather in a different thread and someone questioned my having rain and light mud on Turn 3 or 4, and yet here I am again. I look at the above chart and see that July is all clear turns yet turn 3 saw rain all around the Pskov area with light mud. I should probably not keep saving over the same game save so I'd have a record, but I don't care about it enough I guess. I just seem to have bad luck over most of my AI games. My point is, the above weather table is very misleading as you can have a rain and mud area in July and August 1941, and it can make a huge difference in slowing down the advance.

which is not what I am seeing in any of my current games.

Light rain/light mud up Pskov/Novgorod most turns post T5, rest of the front 2/3 clear turns then light rain.

The key (as in the earlier thread about this) is the relationship between that table and the various weather fronts. There is an example in the manual but you can see exactly how a given front adjusts that table in the game editor.

The table isn't misleading, its not some 'average' weather chart that the actual weather revolves around, its what happens if no front affects a given region (& even then the ground conditions will have a legacy from past events)

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 6
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 6:36:12 PM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

which is not what I am seeing in any of my current games.

Light rain/light mud up Pskov/Novgorod most turns post T5, rest of the front 2/3 clear turns then light rain.

The key (as in the earlier thread about this) is the relationship between that table and the various weather fronts. There is an example in the manual but you can see exactly how a given front adjusts that table in the game editor.

The table isn't misleading, its not some 'average' weather chart that the actual weather revolves around, its what happens if no front affects a given region (& even then the ground conditions will have a legacy from past events)

This is why I seldom post any longer... but although I don't have consecutive saves, I do have screenshots of my most recent turn, as I knew from experience in the forums that I would have to show something of what is happening.
Several screenshots follow:

Attachment (1)

JRR

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 6:37:08 PM   
baloo7777

screenshot:

Attachment (1)

JRR

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 8
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 6:38:06 PM   
baloo7777

more screenshots:

Attachment (1)

JRR

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 9
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 6:38:59 PM   
baloo7777

Final Screenshot:

Attachment (1)

JRR

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 10
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 6:42:32 PM   
baloo7777

I perhaps have much worse luck on dice rolls in the weather, but this has happened in 3 of 6 games vs Russian AI in 1941 campaign scenario for me. It can be a gamechanger if it happens 2-4 turns in a row. It's not everywhere, but often in the North towards Leningrad and Smolensk.

JRR

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 11
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 7:16:27 PM   
loudscott

I'm with you bro. Turn 5, middle of July and I have mud in the North AND the Central......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 12
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 7:18:48 PM   
loudscott

AND here is the forecast for next turn (Turn 6)....rain all the way down to the Black Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 13
RE: Weather Question - 8/18/2021 7:25:18 PM   
loki100

quote:

This is why I seldom post any longer... but although I don't have consecutive saves, I do have screenshots of my most recent turn, as I knew from experience in the forums that I would have to show something of what is happening.
Several screenshots follow:

not a comment on the accuracy of your reports, the nature of the system is a degree of variation.

But my observation is equally accurate as to what I'm seeing and have 3 games on the go and not seeing anything that is unusual.

I also think that its best to assume that light mud is normal and clear a bonus, but thats a mindset I picked up playing WiTW

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 14
RE: Weather Question - 8/19/2021 1:28:03 AM   
freeboy

well I dont know who wrote the scripting of the weather mayve formula would be but man.. I have sept to nov 42 rain rain rain and more rain.. seriously hampers much of my efferts to tame the red bear

Not a complaint but harsh
OK its the firs turn in nov some of the north has snow.. not a single clear turn in forever

< Message edited by freeboy -- 8/19/2021 1:33:07 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Weather Question - 8/19/2021 6:03:37 AM   
Kursk1943

Don't complain about rain. In one game as Axis I experienced Blizzard nearly all over the map from end of Nov 41 till mid of March 42. That's bad wheather! Didn't have an army worth the name afterwards...

< Message edited by Kursk1943 -- 8/19/2021 6:04:48 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Weather Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI