Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Planes in the Philippines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Planes in the Philippines Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Planes in the Philippines - 8/18/2021 9:12:14 PM   
ggeilman

It is Dec 23, 1941 and I am wondering whether it is worth trying to get any of the planes out of the Philippines. Seems like a lot of points to me. Especially the B17s that will all be withdrawn in 42. Thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/18/2021 9:19:00 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ggeilman

It is Dec 23, 1941 and I am wondering whether it is worth trying to get any of the planes out of the Philippines. Seems like a lot of points to me. Especially the B17s that will all be withdrawn in 42. Thoughts?

If at all possible, do so.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 2
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/19/2021 4:56:45 AM   
Sardaukar

B-17s are excellent in Naval Search when you have shortage of Catalinas, so by all means evacuate them.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/19/2021 5:17:54 AM   
rustysi

It may be better to withdraw those planes early, since they will withdraw anyway. By doing so you will gain PP's.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/19/2021 10:08:14 AM   
HansBolter

They will be the ONLY fighters you have to defend Australia for the first 6 months of the war.

Sure the fighters pull out by summer, but having them to defend Australia during a very critical period when the continent is otherwise completely devoid of fighters is golden.

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/19/2021 1:18:32 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Philippines B17-Ds are one of the few allied units that can seriously spoil JFB mood in the first months of war. Their range makes it possible to bomb almost any oil in the DEI theatre as soon as Japan captures it, as well as some major ports. Japan has to divert a lot of resources to counter those guys. And then there is night bombing

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 6
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/19/2021 5:14:12 PM   
drum_taps

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Philippines B17-Ds are one of the few allied units that can seriously spoil JFB mood in the first months of war. Their range makes it possible to bomb almost any oil in the DEI theatre as soon as Japan captures it, as well as some major ports. Japan has to divert a lot of resources to counter those guys. And then there is night bombing

This is something I am going to try in my next game. In my current game, where I am now at Nov 30 1942, I wish I had earlier fought harder. I did not do mass withdrawals, but I did let the US Army in the Philippines sit static, but I did buy out the B-17s. Next time I won't.

The Seventh can handle anything it meets. --
George Armstrong Custer

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 7
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/20/2021 12:18:25 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: drum_taps
quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

This is something I am going to try in my next game. In my current game, where I am now at Nov 30 1942, I wish I had earlier fought harder. I did not do mass withdrawals, but I did let the US Army in the Philippines sit static, but I did buy out the B-17s. Next time I won't.

But you do buy them out specifically for their usefulness (in human games of course, don't bother against AI). Else they would sit on Clark and repair ad infinitum under Japanese bombings. Their strength is range AND mobility.

(in reply to drum_taps)
Post #: 8
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/20/2021 10:31:26 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

They will be the ONLY fighters you have to defend Australia for the first 6 months of the war.

For a moment I thought you were referring to the B-17s. They wouldn't be the ONLY fighters, just the best.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/20/2021 10:36:22 PM   
Mike Solli

What's that saying? The Allied 4E bomber is the best fighter they have.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/21/2021 7:52:28 AM   
jdsrae

Allied attack bombers make great “fighters” too.
IJ fighter pilots seem to prefer to attack them from the front, straight into the teeth of multiple strafing guns…

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 11
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/21/2021 8:50:27 PM   
ggeilman

I am getting as many warhawks out as possible also but they are going to have to transfer from base to base in a lot of transfers. Some of them don't even have drop tanks, grr. Getting a few Cats, too.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 12
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/21/2021 10:44:07 PM   
Moltrey

Also note Ggeilman that a couple of the P-40 squadrons at Clark have excess pilots. Not only that, but the setup has most of your BEST pilots greyed out (not actively flying). It is up to you to decide if you should use these fairly experienced (for U.S.) pilots to fight the Japanese in the Philippines... or send them to the reserve pool or elsewhere to get some more training and form the core of your future Army pilot pool.
I am sure others will pitch in their opinions on this. Personally, I use them to blunt the Japanese in the PI, but some will die to the better enemy pilots. It's a tough call.

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 13
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/21/2021 10:54:06 PM   
huda0816

In my game against the AI I bought the B-17s out and left the fighters in the Phillipines. They got a lot of kills and eventually became elite pilots. After the fall of Clark with only Manila and Bataan left I evacuated all pilots by submarine (Sent them to the reserve pool) and disbanded the fighter wings. They are now training the new pilots in the States.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 14
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/22/2021 4:08:03 AM   
rustysi

quote:

In my game against the AI I bought the B-17s out and left the fighters in the Phillipines. They got a lot of kills and eventually became elite pilots.

Don't count on this in a PBEM game. There're lots of things you may get away with in an AI game that won't 'fly otherwise'.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to huda0816)
Post #: 15
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/22/2021 11:19:40 PM   
ggeilman

Christmas eve and running into a log jam with planes coming out of Singapore on Java. There is only so much room on the airfields to transfer them to Australia and they all have to go through one airbase, Denpasar. 10 ready B-17s in Darwin so far and now a squadron Blenheims. One squadron of Warhawks will spend Christmas in Darwin, wiii!!!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 12:29:22 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Christmas eve and running into a log jam with planes coming out of Singapore on Java. There is only so much room on the airfields to transfer them to Australia and they all have to go through one airbase, Denpasar. 10 ready B-17s in Darwin so far and now a squadron Blenheims. One squadron of Warhawks will spend Christmas in Darwin, wiii!!!

You can overstack the airfields just be careful if they can be attacked.

― Julia Child

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 17
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 10:45:39 AM   
Ian R

Have you discovered that if you let the rump of those squadrons be destroyed on the ground (take out all the pilots) that you can buy them back - and they come back without a withdraw date?

I have the 34th FS flying Mustangs in 1945 - it started life as the 35th PG/34th PS at Clark field, with a June 1942 withdraw date. It is the P-35 Squadron.

And before anyone demands another pro Japanese house rule, this is obviously intentional on the part of the designers - they built in the designation change.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 8/23/2021 10:46:36 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 18
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 5:20:52 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Have you discovered that if you let the rump of those squadrons be destroyed on the ground (take out all the pilots) that you can buy them back - and they come back without a withdraw date?

I have the 34th FS flying Mustangs in 1945 - it started life as the 35th PG/34th PS at Clark field, with a June 1942 withdraw date. It is the P-35 Squadron.

And before anyone demands another pro Japanese house rule, this is obviously intentional on the part of the designers - they built in the designation change.

I wouldn't jump too quickly to that conclusion re the intentions of the devs.

The entire air OOB was developed when destroyed air units couldn't be repurchased. The dev who did that work was no longer involved when the resurrection was subsequently introduced.

It might, just sayin', that when the ability to resurrect dead LCUs was introduced post AE release, the dev with overall responsibility for the land OOB, still remained with the team. You can't repurchase dead LCUs which were scheduled for withdrawal.

Alfred

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 19
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 7:19:32 PM   
Andy Mac

Alfred is correct I wasnt overly happy with the buy back of destroyed units but finally got comfortable with it for 4 reasons

1. So many un natural acts were happening to rescue fragments it was the lesser evil
2. Aus and Indian units impacted are kindo of self correctign - rebuild the 11th Indian Div feel free you will be short of most CW devices to replace combat losses
3. japanese LCU's destroyed tend to be later in war where its a choice to replace them via industry or save points for other units
4. It helped the AI be more competitive

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 20
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 8:06:33 PM   
RangerJoe

Some destroyed units were actually rebuilt such as the 4th Marines and the 31st Infantry.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 21
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 9:03:51 PM   
Andy Mac

And are included in the TOE of the marine Divs so the 4th marine Regt if rebuilt is an 'extra'

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 9:12:07 PM   
Andy Mac

Also was 31st regt rebuilt during the war ??

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 23
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/23/2021 9:12:33 PM   
Nomad

You can't rebuild the 4th Marine Regiment. It comes in as a normal reinforcement, the destroyed one is not able to be bought out.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 8/23/2021 9:13:13 PM >

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 24
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 1:27:15 AM   
RangerJoe

You can buy out the 4th Marines but they disappear. I think that the 31st Infantry was rebuilt as part of a division.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 25
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 1:28:13 AM   
RangerJoe

To improve the Philippines defense, why not make the Philippines division?

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 26
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 2:55:33 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

And are included in the TOE of the marine Divs so the 4th marine Regt if rebuilt is an 'extra'

The original 4th Marines withdraws, so can't be bought back from the dead list,, or so I thought.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 27
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 3:46:03 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

Yup another house rule. Just like I would have one against Japan using the 'get around' of bringing the first BB conversions into play in Dec '43.

When will people stop playing the code? In case you're wondering, that's a rhetorical question. Just one more reason I don't PBEM. TBH the main reason is time.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 28
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 10:59:19 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

Yup another house rule. Just like I would have one against Japan using the 'get around' of bringing the first BB conversions into play in Dec '43.

When will people stop playing the code? In case you're wondering, that's a rhetorical question. Just one more reason I don't PBEM. TBH the main reason is time.

The reason I don't play PBEM any more is a matter of history going back 30 years. It is simply this: The Axis FBs bailing out in 1942 (CWIE) or 1943 (Pacwar) when the tide turned against them.

I appreciate there are some honourable opponents who go the distance, but they are very much the minority in my experience. Hence I stick to the AI.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 29
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 3:18:41 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

What's that saying? The Allied 4E bomber is the best fighter they have.

Sending B-17s on a raid is sending the best sweepers you'll ever have.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Planes in the Philippines Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI