Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using panzer groups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Using panzer groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using panzer groups - 8/22/2021 11:47:56 PM   
fcam1387

I find that as summer turns to autumn, the combat effectiveness of Panzer Groups significantly diminishes and the scope for large encirclements correspondingly reduces. By late September / October, is it advisable to instead press on to secure victory locations (ie cities like Kursk, Orel and Stalino) and focus less on encircling Soviet units? On some turns (especially when the mud sets in), I am unable to encircle any Soviet units as my infantry are too far behind. Any views are welcome!
Post #: 1
RE: Using panzer groups - 8/23/2021 12:02:08 AM   
AlbertN

Presently unless one can wrap up the game (autovictory) I feel to destroy Soviet assets is the long term answer.

A handful of VPs come and go ultimately, the difference between THIS or THAT number are meaningless barring closing the game with the auto victory.
Present system 'punishes' premature taking of VP locations that can be taken by a counterattack. Until there is a (needed in my opinion) change that only the side with the Initiative gains bonus VPs due to early seizing of locations.

Example: Somewhen 1941. Germany seizes let's say Orel, but snatches it barely with a Regiment! They get a nice +6 bonus. - The Soviets counterattack, dislodge that Regiment and take Orel back in '41. Since Orel was taken back much later ... the Soviets still claim +6 VP, on the spot. -- The game would require for the Germans to ... not claim Orel early; unless they can move in force. And secure it before the dreaded Winter even!

Panzers anyhow are extremely brittle and hardly replaceable due to logistic constraints and ... other factors eluding me; I use them scarcely and often the Soviets shank them hard in my games.

< Message edited by AlbertN -- 8/23/2021 12:06:06 AM >

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 2
RE: Using panzer groups - 8/23/2021 7:32:20 AM   
MarkShot

I have often wondered about doing this.

You send them deep and fast to cut key supply lines (doing so at an airfield on a town with railyard, airbase, and double tracks where you build a depot.

So, you just cut off the enemy, but what about your tanks. You fly in supplies.

I have yet actually try this.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 3
RE: Using panzer groups - 8/23/2021 11:15:39 AM   
AlbertN

Highly probably in current status that a good portion of your Ju52s will be shot down, your Panzer spearheads cut and temporarily isolated.
In the early turns it is no biggie, they may have already decent stocks and enough close-up follow units to free them.

Later on it is recipe to have units shanked and smashed.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Using panzer groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI