Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 1/31/2020 4:24:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

We'll be revealing new features in time, but I guarantee if you have WITE you will be interested in WITE2 once you read about all the improvements.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 31
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 1:04:05 AM   
bobarossa

Never guarantee things. If WITE2 takes more time to play than WITE, I will NOT be interested. I loved Grigsby's early games but when I realized it would take me an entire day to play 1 day of the Bombing the Reich campaign (in 1999), I realized he had lost touch with me. Couldn't even get to autumn 1941 in WITE before losing interest (of course I restarted twice to correct mistakes).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 4:50:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

Well, I wouldn't have said that if I weren't sure that it will have a very broad appeal among wargamers who enjoyed WITE. However, you're right to say that preferences can vary widely. Let me rephrase and just say that I am very sure.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 33
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 7:59:30 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Actually the air system for WitW is really not that bad once you get the hang of it.

Its bad listen to the three moves ahead podcast episode on WITW they agree.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 34
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 12:52:53 PM   
budd

The air system doesn't seem to bad to me. I don't go to deep into the nuts and bolts of the air system but people can if they want to, and the results don't seem awful when the computer runs it. Thing is, is that there are plenty of lighter wargames, games with less detail, games that take less time but not to many people making the highly detailed monster games. What I always appreciated about WITE/WITW is that there really not that hard to play, you can go into highly detailed play if you want to, taking hours for your turns but it's not required. I've had WITE for quite a few years now, and maybe put in about 500 hours into it and I've never played the grand campaign......yet, hope to one day, it's a bridge to far for me right now. I've had plenty of fun playing the smaller scenarios, especially the " Road to" scenarios. Of course YMMV.

I didn't get WITE on release, not for a few years, there wasn't that many smaller scenarios in release to justify the premium price of the game for me. I hope there are a bunch of "Road to" scenarios , but if not, I'll wait.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 35
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 2:46:53 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: comte

quote:

Actually the air system for WitW is really not that bad once you get the hang of it.

lets be clear - you and some others find it problemmatic? Ok, fair opinion but that is what it is. I like the WiTW air model, the whole strategic air war would be utterly unplayable if it was based around the WiTE1 air systems. You lose some of the obsessive micro-control that the WiTE1 model allows and need to replace it with a bit of preplanning.

I can do a WiTW campaign airphase as the allies in around 10 mins once I have the OOB in place, I'd still be clicking on recon flights in WiTE1.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 36
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/1/2020 4:41:47 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: comte

quote:

Sorry but really don’t care about some pod castors opinions, I can make up my own mind.

I am basing my own experience with the new WITW air system and after watching the four provided tutorial videos and playing 4 games thus far I stand by what I stated.

The air system is really not that bad or hard to use. Works just fine.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 37
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/2/2020 1:13:26 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Well, I wouldn't have said that if I weren't sure that it will have a very broad appeal among wargamers who enjoyed WITE. However, you're right to say that preferences can vary widely. Let me rephrase and just say that I am very sure.

While your at it Eric, see if 2 by 3 can do a remake of War Between the States somewhat like what Strategic Command did in remaking SCWWI going from tiles to hexes. whereas WBTS could go from WEGO to hexes.

Post #: 38
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/2/2020 2:06:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating
whereas WBTS could go from WEGO to hexes.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 39
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/2/2020 4:04:51 PM   
operating

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating
whereas WBTS could go from WEGO to hexes.

Ya, I knew that was a bit of a "stretch", however the idea is to do a remake of the game, or possibly for 2by3 to create a new approach for a Civil War game, maybe like WITE, or perhaps a dressed down version of WITE in a Civil War setting. Is it too much to ask? Or not?

Post #: 40
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/2/2020 4:25:41 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

Finishing War in the East 2 has top priority for 2by3 and it is expected to be feature complete within the next quarter, which means that a final release date will depend on final testing and polish time, but we expect it will be a 2020 release.

Post #: 41
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/3/2020 1:34:01 PM   
gekkoguy35

A monster WITE/WITW style Civil War game would be awesome! You could totally leave the air aspect of the war up to the AI to manage. Just pop up a balloon here or there and it's good! ;)

< Message edited by gekkoguy35 -- 2/3/2020 1:35:09 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 42
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/3/2020 2:50:33 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy35

A monster WITE/WITW style Civil War game would be awesome! You could totally leave the air aspect of the war up to the AI to manage. Just pop up a balloon here or there and it's good! ;)

But there wouldn't be tanks!
A remake of GG's War Between the states would be nice.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 43
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/3/2020 5:35:00 PM   
gamer78

Looking forward to it. War in the East was great but couldn't get into War in the West much. Air war was too complicated for me. Although smaller scale amount land units.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 44
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/3/2020 6:35:25 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78
[...]couldn't get into War in the West much. Air war was too complicated for me. Although smaller scale amount land units.

Same. Air model in WITW turned me off. But anyway, I'm not too fan of the Western front anyway. But I know that one day i will seriously try WITW.

A monster game "War In Europe" starting in June 41 (WITE+WITW) would be amazing !

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 45
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/3/2020 8:00:12 PM   
RedLancer

We do get it that people have found the WitW air system, which removed the abstraction of WitE, challenging. For WitE2 we are working extremely hard developing an improved command and control system for air units that allows a good balance between those who want to automate most of the air war and those who want to micromanage individual air groups and their pilots. Achieving that balance is no easy task. We are almost there, after significant time and effort, demonstrating how we listen and our commitment to providing a game that appeals to as many of you as possible.

The new system - called Air Operational Groups (AOGs) allows the player (or the AI on their behalf) to group Air Units together and control them (or allow the AI to do so) in support of the ground war. My personal way of explaining this is that what the new system does is to group air units together across a wide area (that takes into account actual airfields with their precise size and location) into a single entity which was in WitE represented by the moveable Air Base counter. I think it is an elegant solution.

I share a screenshot that shows where we are at today. The named AOG 'boxes' show both where the AOGs are and also provide the gateway to controlling them in game. As I have said the labels are sort of like counters but as you can expect from a 2by3 game there is more to them than just that...

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 46
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/4/2020 4:21:16 PM   
coachi

Can you back patch it to witw after release
Post #: 47
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/5/2020 5:59:17 AM   
nukkxx5058

This new air system looks good !

(in reply to coachi)
Post #: 48
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/5/2020 1:15:55 PM   
operating

What's frustrating is trying to make direct contact with 2by3 http://www.2by3games.com/ , thus having middlemen act as surrogates for what they are working on, or what they might consider working on.

< Message edited by operating -- 2/5/2020 1:20:14 PM >

Post #: 49
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/11/2020 1:57:21 PM   
eskuche

Interesting display modes. Unit designations probably a little less useful for SU. Is it possible there will be a quick switch button between view modes?

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 50
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 2/11/2020 5:21:44 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

We do get it that people have found the WitW air system, which removed the abstraction of WitE, challenging. For WitE2 we are working extremely hard developing an improved command and control system for air units that allows a good balance between those who want to automate most of the air war and those who want to micromanage individual air groups and their pilots. Achieving that balance is no easy task. We are almost there, after significant time and effort, demonstrating how we listen and our commitment to providing a game that appeals to as many of you as possible.

The new system - called Air Operational Groups (AOGs) allows the player (or the AI on their behalf) to group Air Units together and control them (or allow the AI to do so) in support of the ground war. My personal way of explaining this is that what the new system does is to group air units together across a wide area (that takes into account actual airfields with their precise size and location) into a single entity which was in WitE represented by the moveable Air Base counter. I think it is an elegant solution.

I share a screenshot that shows where we are at today. The named AOG 'boxes' show both where the AOGs are and also provide the gateway to controlling them in game. As I have said the labels are sort of like counters but as you can expect from a 2by3 game there is more to them than just that...

The new air system looks like super promising!
Seeing these organizations this way is great, also for immersion.

Flieger Fuhrer
Koluft
Korps
Gruppen
Geschwadern

Damn, I want to play a Luftwaffe only campaign :]

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 51
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 3/29/2020 1:21:54 PM   
vonreichsmueller

Any news here?

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 52
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 12/3/2020 10:16:15 AM   
wargamer69

I join the question - Any news here?

(I started playing with War in Russia in 1987 for 8-bit Atari and since then I've been a I'am huge fan of GG games :)

This was almost 33 years ago ;)

youtube: "Atari 8 bit computer - playing a turn of 'War in Russia' by SSI"

(in reply to vonreichsmueller)
Post #: 53
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 12/3/2020 1:53:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please watch the Wargames of 2021 stream today on our Twitch channel.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wargamer69)
Post #: 54
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 12/7/2020 1:44:36 AM   
zasgard

I didn't see any mention of Steel Tigers......vaporware or no?

Post #: 55
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 12/7/2020 8:17:53 AM   
Protonic2020

I could alpha test Steel Tigers, IF i meet the games system requirements and i doubt that. For some reason, i just have a hunch from the name of it. (It´s called "hunch" right?).
Would be my first Alpha EVA! Cool. Word. Alright.

Think for yourself and never let others do it for you

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 56
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 12/7/2020 2:38:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

Steel Tigers is 2by3's next project as soon as WITE2 is finished and released. We tried working on both at the same time for a while, but it was too much of a load, so Steel Tigers has been on the back burner while WITE2 was completed.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Protonic2020)
Post #: 57
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 8/22/2021 9:56:43 AM   
Jotte

So.. a bit of necro here but... Anything new here since WitE2 is out now?

< Message edited by Jotte -- 8/22/2021 10:09:49 AM >

Post #: 58
RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 - 8/23/2021 2:48:18 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy35

But there wouldn't be tanks!
A remake of GG's War Between the states would be nice.

I didn't really care for it, to be honest.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: An Update on 2by3's plans for 2020 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI