Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Week 55

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Week 55 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 5:26:38 AM   
erikbengtsson

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

I agree deeply with Hyla above.

In more than one game I quickly faced Soviets that were super prepared in CPP (Which as force multiplier benefits them a lot due to many units - and in the way CPP are spent).
The '41 WAll of Soviets was already amazing - and at the first battering Soviets take they can just slip slightly away, maybe sacrifice 1-2 hexes of division(s) and reshape a sturdy line.
Germans wasted their CPP to achieve that little.

Perhaps the Soviet player should not be able to have assault HQ's until December 41. And perhaps it should be restricted during spring and summer of 42 too?

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 301
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 10:33:56 AM   
quantas

Thanks a lot for this AAR. I enjoyed it and learned a lot while reading your posts and ideas.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 302
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 10:38:13 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: quantas

Thanks a lot for this AAR. I enjoyed it and learned a lot while reading your posts and ideas.

You're very welcome. I'm sure you will find even more entertainment in our game while I try to avoid an early death as the Axis.

(in reply to quantas)
Post #: 303
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 1:20:51 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: erikbengtsson

quote:

In more than one game I quickly faced Soviets that were super prepared in CPP (Which as force multiplier benefits them a lot due to many units - and in the way CPP are spent).
The '41 WAll of Soviets was already amazing - and at the first battering Soviets take they can just slip slightly away, maybe sacrifice 1-2 hexes of division(s) and reshape a sturdy line.

Perhaps the Soviet player should not be able to have assault HQ's until December 41. And perhaps it should be restricted during spring and summer of 42 too?

That would be a very good step in the right direction.

(in reply to erikbengtsson)
Post #: 304
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 1:28:31 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

while I try to avoid an early death as the Axis.

I feel your sentiments here. You gave other Soviets the insight now you will see the wrath from the other side. Now it feels like I am playing you when I play against another Soviet. But I have no illusions of Grandeur, I too as Germany will get beaten into pulp before 44 in my game. Welcome to the club M60 on the German side.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 305
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 2:19:05 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Perhaps the Axis player should go where they are not.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

Post #: 306
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 2:43:16 PM   
M60A3TTS

Just a reminder, I have had a chance to practice building the Red Army during beta testing. Here was a result from a game against a couple testers at about the same time of the game. This didn't end long before release.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 307
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 2:50:10 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Perhaps the Axis player should go where they are not.

Great idea!!! Only a couple of problems. 1). Supply network dictates advance thus obvious avenues. 2). Soviets usually there way in advance 3). see #1

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 308
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 2:55:15 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Just a reminder, I have had a chance to practice building the Red Army during beta testing. Here was a result from a game against a couple testers at about the same time of the game. This didn't end long before release.

Ya, it will be the norm here shortly. The AP, Assualt HQ, replacement rate & other factors grow the Red Army into a power house by 42 and in 43 into an unstoppable force. Maybe I am wrong... I hope but think not.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 309
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:01:39 PM   
AlbertN

The more I read the more I grow worried - that screenshot above shows elite german formations just mass surrendering in June '42.

Another problem I regularly saw is that Soviets attacks are often scott free.
Minimalistic losses or the like. Commissars clearly allowed bayonet assaults to stop at the first artillery fire from Germans; instead of sending Soviet troops to the butchery.

But I see already in '41 extreme operational capability in the hands of -some- Soviet players, that smash Panzer Regiments all over the place.
Either Germans pocket using divisions, or they get mauled. - Sure the Soviets lose a quantity of armour too but it seems they replace it like nuts. Same is for ... pretty much anything, perception wise.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 310
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:11:11 PM   
freeboy

In my axis vs ai the reds are dying in 100k plus range per turn in winter nov dec 42
the losses above do not represent all situations they will likely go over 8 million men lost in the weeks to come in my game.
Weather is the worst enemy I have

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 311
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:31:16 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

In my axis vs ai the reds are dying in 100k plus range per turn in winter nov dec 42
the losses above do not represent all situations they will likely go over 8 million men lost in the weeks to come in my game.
Weather is the worst enemy I have

Yeah, unfortunately the AI isn't maxing out the capabilities of the Soviet Army :(

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 312
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:37:38 PM   
jubjub

quote:

The more I read the more I grow worried - that screenshot above shows elite german formations just mass surrendering in June '42.

Minimalistic losses or the like. Commissars clearly allowed bayonet assaults to stop at the first artillery fire from Germans; instead of sending Soviet troops to the butchery.

But I see already in '41 extreme operational capability in the hands of -some- Soviet players, that smash Panzer Regiments all over the place.
Either Germans pocket using divisions, or they get mauled. - Sure the Soviets lose a quantity of armour too but it seems they replace it like nuts. Same is for ... pretty much anything, perception wise.

After turn 3 or 4, you can't expect a panzer division - much less a regiment - to hold it's own on the front line unless it's in woods, behind a river, or supported by motorized regiments/divisions. They're my #1 target that I look for as the Soviets.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 313
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:47:12 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

I believe the German units shown surrendering were surrounded. Once they run out of hexes to retreat to in the end they will mass surrender in that way.

I think the Devs need much more data before they can make decisions on balance. Particularly data from games between players at a more average level.

If the top players are able to see ways that they can win with the Soviets in 43 that in itself is not a problem - that is the whole point of them being top players. The issue comes if either the overall balance is off so that a large majority of Soviet players at all levels are winning by that date. Or alternatively if the best players play each other to show that there is a balance issue that is insurmountable no matter what the level of skill.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 314
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 4:47:38 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34
Well done M60! I reserve the right for your first official match for WITE3 (or War in Europe....)

Thanks Dave. You're always first in line for re-matches.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 315
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 5:13:49 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Well done M60! I reserve the right for your first official match for WITE3 (or War in Europe....)

I absolutely admire Smokindave. :) Great guy!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 316
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 5:26:20 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

Now I get it, thank you for the explanation.

By the way, I would love to see a game between you and HLYA. :)

Well we wouldn't want to disappoint you...

Stay tuned.

Post #: 317
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 5:26:25 PM   
jubjub

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

I think this touches on the main issue I see. CPP build up just happens too fast. Historically, it took months to build up for an offensive in one sector, not two weeks. I think this is the main reason that the Soviets can sustain offensives much longer than they were able to historically.

I think an elegant solution is to subject CPP build up to leadership rolls. This would give the Axis an edge in building up their armies, as well as slow down the rate of CPP build up for both sides. It does seem kind of silly that almost everything in game has to be rolled for, but the most important stat in the game is an automatic buff every turn.

Post #: 318
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 7:25:05 PM   
erikbengtsson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jubjub

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think this touches on the main issue I see. CPP build up just happens too fast. Historically, it took months to build up for an offensive in one sector, not two weeks. I think this is the main reason that the Soviets can sustain offensives much longer than they were able to historically.

I think an elegant solution is to subject CPP build up to leadership rolls. This would give the Axis an edge in building up their armies, as well as slow down the rate of CPP build up for both sides. It does seem kind of silly that almost everything in game has to be rolled for, but the most important stat in the game is an automatic buff every turn.

Reading that, it seems like a very good suggestion.

(in reply to jubjub)
Post #: 319
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 7:41:16 PM   
AlbertN

At the same time there should be some formula to have CPP loss similar to the one defending.

To lose 50% of the CPP if X attacks is an absolute.
A matter is a division attacking a regiment or a fortified unit; and another is a division attacking another division.

Post #: 320
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 7:42:50 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jubjub

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reading that, it seems like a very good suggestion.

Not really, because it wouldn't likely yield the kind of definitive results you are looking for. CPP buildup would most likely be tied to leader admin ratings.

Someone once did a thread that showed how the Axis had so many more good leaders than the Soviets, and I had problems with their conclusions from the beginning. In this case, the Soviets have no less than 41 leaders with an admin value of 6 or more. A rating of 6 is considered to be a good one. They have a dozen leaders at 7.

Yes, the Germans have far more, but that isn't the point. The point is the Soviets have enough to get done what needs to be done in key areas of the map. Not every part of the front is gearing up for an offensive at any one time.

Post #: 321
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 8:13:07 PM   
AlbertN

Agreeing with M60 there now that I read that stance.

Especially as Soviets are not that short of Admin Points to substitute leaders on need - or at least I've that perception in general.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 322
RE: Week 55 - 8/19/2021 11:30:49 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

quote:

I absolutely admire Smokindave. :) Great guy!

Your making me blush......by the way I've been "studying" your AAR's lately in an attempt to improve my play. I'm counting on you to show us axis players the way to Moscow. Don't let us down.

Post #: 323
RE: Week 55 - 8/22/2021 10:52:17 PM   
Hardradi

Finally got back to finishing your AAR. Really enjoyed it. Awesome tips.

A terrifying build up of force. Historically, if this had played out, Operation Unthinkable would have been on the table.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 324
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 12:16:44 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

Tyronec and Roadwarrior are far better players than me & I believe Tyronec said it the best on the current state of the game. I can only parapharse it but went something on the line of, "if you don't take the Soviet out in 41 early 42 then the Soviets will grow massive and Germany will die in 44". Of course Tyronec put it much more elegantly.

I do think that the game does favor the Soviets. But it isn't that bad at the moment, I think...

I think this is an excellent point, and I am coming to agree with this. I am about to start a Stal to Berlin as Germany vs. a good opponent (Speedysteve) and I expect to get quashed. In testing I played the other side vs. Loki, and by early '44 was rolling toward Romania.

I don't think the solution is necessarily to help the Germans in '41 take out the Soviet Union, but rather some later help for the Germans....not sure how, since 1943 turns into a feedback loop where Soviets win, increase morale, get stronger, while Germans constantly doing the opposite.

I really don't know the cure......the game certainly favors a supplied attacker, especially in clear terrain

The crux is the casualty rate to the Soviets. The Soviets can control the flow in 41 with retreat & retreat and retreat.
The Germans are hard pressed to do anything about it if the Soviets retreat correctly.
To have a chance the Germans have to surround then force surrender many many Soviets and it isnt going to happen in WITE2.
By the time the Germans get to a Soviet line the units are rested, with good leaders, well supplied.
Thus when the germans do attack the casualties are way low and Soviets retreat from a combat with minimial losses.
Then during their turn the Soviets just rotate out the Divisions that got hit for a rest.
I saw this and was no way I was going to play the Soviets again in WITE2 and decided to end a game before even getting started when I came back this month.
I like a challenge and thus went back fully to the German side. On top of that my game is a no early end which will be "Hell on Earth" for me to even survive til 1944.
I don't think it can be done as Germany. But that is just me looking into my crystal ball.

Don't even get me started on the free AP's given tot he Soviets by mid 1943. 1500 AP is a very large number of AP to do anything with.
If you are going to give APs then subdivide the gifted AP where you have the normal AP you get a turn then break it down to what it was given for and only can be used for it.
Thus the AP for Cav should only be used to purchase Cav & not build a whole bunch of forts instead.

+1 to HLYA
Great AAR by the way and grats to you both on your game.

The logistics system currently is at the heart of the unhistorical results we see in the AARs

1. SHC is unhistorically rewarded to retreat a few hexes a turn until the logistic chain stops GHC in the center and south. An Army that is simply marching forward turn after turn and hardly fighting is using very few supplies, this is just basic math!!!!!! Supplies shortages for Germans and Russians were caused by heavy fighting or fuel by long advances, not both sides holding hands taking a summer walk together 30 miles a week to the east.
2. So moral, KIA and factory loses are far lower than historical, supplies for some reason are low based on a lack of combat and long summer walks?????
3. By 1942 German Army is at 1943 levels and Russian Army at 1944 levels. There is no 1942, which is why games will end in 44.
The massive encirclements of spring and summer of 1942 are not possible because SHC has 1/2 dozen Armies that can easily break open almost any pocket in 1942, when historically that simply was not the case. Supplies and replacements were a major issue in 42 for SHC, but not in this game. The combat tempo of 41 is simply not happening and a logistics system that is hard wired to output data that says the combat tempo is high when it simply is low, very low if the hand holding is done right.
4. The logistics system is a single system for both sides when historically it simply was not. This is by far the biggest problem with the game.
5. Because of the logistic system (1 system for both sides) simply is not working historically; it causes a feedback loop where the attacker never runs out of supplies after summer of 41.
When historically the Russians took months to build up supplies for major operations and then had to stop after some small gains because they ran out.

Summer 1941 was a blood bath. The Russians caused supply issues for the Germans, because they attacked causing shortages and delaying German advances. The 1941 supply issues were not caused long summer walks.

The logistic system appears to need allot of tweaking, allot.

Sadly I would have to say 1.0 is more of a historical simulation than 2.0. No idea if the logistics system can be fixed or if the will is their to fix it's clear short coming.

< Message edited by RoadWarrior -- 8/27/2021 12:32:12 PM >

Post #: 325
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 2:00:51 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoadWarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tyronec and Roadwarrior are far better players than me & I believe Tyronec said it the best on the current state of the game. I can only parapharse it but went something on the line of, "if you don't take the Soviet out in 41 early 42 then the Soviets will grow massive and Germany will die in 44". Of course Tyronec put it much more elegantly.

I do think that the game does favor the Soviets. But it isn't that bad at the moment, I think...

I think this is an excellent point, and I am coming to agree with this. I am about to start a Stal to Berlin as Germany vs. a good opponent (Speedysteve) and I expect to get quashed. In testing I played the other side vs. Loki, and by early '44 was rolling toward Romania.

I don't think the solution is necessarily to help the Germans in '41 take out the Soviet Union, but rather some later help for the Germans....not sure how, since 1943 turns into a feedback loop where Soviets win, increase morale, get stronger, while Germans constantly doing the opposite.

I really don't know the cure......the game certainly favors a supplied attacker, especially in clear terrain

The crux is the casualty rate to the Soviets. The Soviets can control the flow in 41 with retreat & retreat and retreat.
The Germans are hard pressed to do anything about it if the Soviets retreat correctly.
To have a chance the Germans have to surround then force surrender many many Soviets and it isnt going to happen in WITE2.
By the time the Germans get to a Soviet line the units are rested, with good leaders, well supplied.
Thus when the germans do attack the casualties are way low and Soviets retreat from a combat with minimial losses.
Then during their turn the Soviets just rotate out the Divisions that got hit for a rest.
I saw this and was no way I was going to play the Soviets again in WITE2 and decided to end a game before even getting started when I came back this month.
I like a challenge and thus went back fully to the German side. On top of that my game is a no early end which will be "Hell on Earth" for me to even survive til 1944.
I don't think it can be done as Germany. But that is just me looking into my crystal ball.

Don't even get me started on the free AP's given tot he Soviets by mid 1943. 1500 AP is a very large number of AP to do anything with.
If you are going to give APs then subdivide the gifted AP where you have the normal AP you get a turn then break it down to what it was given for and only can be used for it.
Thus the AP for Cav should only be used to purchase Cav & not build a whole bunch of forts instead.

+1 to HLYA

The logistics system currently is at the heart of the unhistorical results we see in the AARs

1. SHC is unhistorically rewarded to retreat a few hexes a turn until the logistic chain stops GHC in the center and south. An Army that is simply marching forward turn after turn and hardly fighting is using very few supplies, this is just basic math!!!!!! Supplies shortages for Germans and Russians were caused by heavy fighting or fuel by long advances, not both sides holding hands taking a summer walk together 30 miles a week to the east.
2. So moral, KIA and factory loses are far lower than historical, supplies for some reason are low based on a lack of combat and long summer walks?????
3. By 1942 German Army is at 1943 levels and Russian Army at 1944 levels. There is no 1942, which is why games will end in 44.
The massive encirclements of spring and summer of 1942 are not possible because SHC has 1/2 dozen Armies that can easily break open almost any pocket in 1942, when historically that simply was not the case. Supplies and replacements were a major issue in 42 for SHC, but not in this game. The combat tempo of 41 is simply not happening and a logistics system that is hard wired to output data that says the combat tempo is high when it simply is low, very low if the hand holding is done right.
4. The logistics system is a single system for both sides when historically it simply was not. This is by far the biggest problem with the game.
5. Because of the logistic system (1 system for both sides) simply is not working historically; it causes a feedback loop where the attacker never runs out of supplies after summer of 41.
When historically the Russians took months to build up supplies for major operations and then had to stop after some small gains because they ran out.

Summer 1941 was a blood bath. The Russians caused supply issues for the Germans, because they attacked causing shortages and delaying German advances. The 1941 supply issues were not caused long summer walks.

Sadly I would have to say 1.0 is more of a historical simulation than 2.0. No idea if the logistics system can be fixed or if the will is their to fix it's clear short coming.

You are not wrong. I believe many feel the same.

I still believe the crux is the 2 Assault HQ's given to the Soviets. The Assault HQ's are like the Soviets recover their fiasco mess in just a few turns and now can go toe to toe with Germany. (don't even get me started why Assault HQ's have 45 points worth of units can attach to them, that is insane. should be less units in assault, not more! But that is just me I guess) Coupled with the Soviets constantly retreating and getting full CCP & rest staying out of the reach of the Germans. You can get close in the North and fight but you aren't going to get the casualties you need to survive a long Game. In the the South you will be extremely lucky to get anything of value casualty wise on a runner. In the Center you can get some encirclements but you are still dealing with poor terrain and long supply lines. Thus if the Soviets put their 2 assault HQ's in the right place the Soviet casualties can stay low the whole of 41 if done correctly, have high defense values. There is definatly some work that needs to be done in the game.

(in reply to RoadWarrior)
Post #: 326
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 2:10:01 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1 to HLYA

Brief thought #1 on this - I don't think we have enough data at this point - how many AARs have gone well into 42? I can just think of this game (which IMHO doesn't tell us a great deal given the differing levels of experience of the two players); Loki v SpeedySteve; jubjubs 'comeback' AAR that he started in 42 (which seems to be following a more historical path) and the GloriousRuse v Bobo AAR that was going on pre-release.

Brief thought #2 - I disagree on the logistics system. Not so much that I don't think it has any flaws/problems - more that it is miles better than WITE1 where you could supply all of your panzer armies at the end of a single rail line etc.

Brief thought #3 - If there is an issue with the Soviets being able to retreat too easily and avoid losses I think the simpler way to deal with it is to look at the victory conditions. So for example I'd maybe move the current 1st January check to 1st December and set the mark at something like the cities historically taken + 40VPs or something like that. So the Soviet player would have to fight further forward in the South to prevent the Axis player getting too many time bonuses and the 'fringe' victory cities in the centre like Rzhev/Tula/Orel (which many Axis players are reluctant to take at the moment because of the risk of losing them and the time bonus in the Soviet counter-offensive) become more contested.

Brief thought #4 As a general principle the way I see it is that as long as the Devs/players are satisfied that various mechanics are working 'adequately' and that the very broad pattern of the outcomes are historical (so you aren't seeing the Axis taking Moscow every game or the Soviets continuing their winter counteroffensive all the way to Berlin etc) it makes more sense to try and balance the game through the victory point system rather than having a situation where the balance 'pendulum' keeps on swinging between the two sides as the developers fiddle with mechanics.

EDIT

Agree on the Assault HQs - they just don't quite feel 'right' at the moment in the way they are working. If the HQs are going to have an effect on CPPs it makes more sense to me for the rule to be that units in Assault HQs lose half as many CPPs when attacking rather than regaining them twice as quickly.

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 8/27/2021 2:23:43 PM >

(in reply to RoadWarrior)
Post #: 327
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 3:30:43 PM   
AlbertN

VPs are very rarely a good way to balance the game. Because the 'final picture' is 'final'. A player has to get there, a player needs to have some fun. If PlayerA(xis in this case) is to take the beating without hopes from Winter 41 til surrender date ... or just play for the same of 'sticking there' but really not enjoying it til '44 or '45 ... how many do that?

In general the good balancing factors are Economics and 'Quality' level of units. (How many and how good).

VPs unless netting a sudden Auto-Win (or Auto-Loss) mean little. Would the Soviet player in '41 have a 4M army and have Axis at 600 VP, or have a 5M army and have the Axis at 650 VP (Numbers are an example). I am sure in this game any Soviet player will pick the 2nd, simply because of the Snowball effect. Their position in '42 will be way better, they'll start to pound back Germany way earlier, the 50 VP difference they'll regain cheaply by being in Berlin a year ahead or so! (Concept wise).

Thus, even if I advocate deeply a more granular spreading of VP cities that is an extra.

The CCP and Assault Armies alone won't cut it - because the Soviets still can retreat an amount. Positioned their units, it will be 200 SMP / 24 * 3; instead of 200 SMP / 12 * 3, assuming units are not adjacent to Germans and have not moved. Even without Assault Armies, a generic Soviet infantry unit could move 1 hex or so and still get 20-24 CCP a turn without being in Assault mode. (The hex being hopping out of enemy ZoC and a fresh Soviet unit pops in.) It's simply math that.

Logistics, I'd not touch them yet but I feel the iffy part of Germany unable to bring Panzers to Panzer Divisions in Poland, or severely struggling to do so.

There must be a reason for the Soviets to stay and fight, in '41. And fight in kind of desperate way, not going toe to toe with Germany and shanking Axis formations. That reason to me has to be that they -must- protect their factories. If the Soviets run too quick they'll lose production. Forever. Save your gear now or have more gear in the future - call your shots.
Currently it's pratically a no brainer with guaranteed massive production later on - so one can as well save right now your troops.

My forecasting skills have other vibes for the future in the late game, just by some testing I did in the Vistula to Berlin vs the AI.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 328
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 3:46:54 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

VPs are very rarely a good way to balance the game. Because the 'final picture' is 'final'. A player has to get there, a player needs to have some fun. If PlayerA(xis in this case) is to take the beating without hopes from Winter 41 til surrender date ... or just play for the same of 'sticking there' but really not enjoying it til '44 or '45 ... how many do that?

In general the good balancing factors are Economics and 'Quality' level of units. (How many and how good).

VPs unless netting a sudden Auto-Win (or Auto-Loss) mean little. Would the Soviet player in '41 have a 4M army and have Axis at 600 VP, or have a 5M army and have the Axis at 650 VP (Numbers are an example). I am sure in this game any Soviet player will pick the 2nd, simply because of the Snowball effect. Their position in '42 will be way better, they'll start to pound back Germany way earlier, the 50 VP difference they'll regain cheaply by being in Berlin a year ahead or so! (Concept wise).

Thus, even if I advocate deeply a more granular spreading of VP cities that is an extra.

But that was my point - that the part of the VP system that would be changed would not be the 'final' victory levels in 1945 but the auto-victory levels and dates throughout the course of a game. So to use your example numbers - if 600 is theoretically an Axis autovictory then the Soviets have to take the extra million losses in order to stay in the game.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 329
RE: Week 55 - 8/27/2021 3:57:01 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1 to HLYA

Brief thought #1 on this - I don't think we have enough data at this point - how many AARs have gone well into 42? I can just think of this game (which IMHO doesn't tell us a great deal given the differing levels of experience of the two players); Loki v SpeedySteve; jubjubs 'comeback' AAR that he started in 42 (which seems to be following a more historical path) and the GloriousRuse v Bobo AAR that was going on pre-release.

Brief thought #2 - I disagree on the logistics system. Not so much that I don't think it has any flaws/problems - more that it is miles better than WITE1 where you could supply all of your panzer armies at the end of a single rail line etc.

Brief thought #3 - If there is an issue with the Soviets being able to retreat too easily and avoid losses I think the simpler way to deal with it is to look at the victory conditions. So for example I'd maybe move the current 1st January check to 1st December and set the mark at something like the cities historically taken + 40VPs or something like that. So the Soviet player would have to fight further forward in the South to prevent the Axis player getting too many time bonuses and the 'fringe' victory cities in the centre like Rzhev/Tula/Orel (which many Axis players are reluctant to take at the moment because of the risk of losing them and the time bonus in the Soviet counter-offensive) become more contested.

Brief thought #4 As a general principle the way I see it is that as long as the Devs/players are satisfied that various mechanics are working 'adequately' and that the very broad pattern of the outcomes are historical (so you aren't seeing the Axis taking Moscow every game or the Soviets continuing their winter counteroffensive all the way to Berlin etc) it makes more sense to try and balance the game through the victory point system rather than having a situation where the balance 'pendulum' keeps on swinging between the two sides as the developers fiddle with mechanics.

EDIT

Agree on the Assault HQs - they just don't quite feel 'right' at the moment in the way they are working. If the HQs are going to have an effect on CPPs it makes more sense to me for the rule to be that units in Assault HQs lose half as many CPPs when attacking rather than regaining them twice as quickly.

1. If your open minded and simply look at the newer AAR's the data is one sided. If your just here axe grinding, your not open minded and everyone can see that.
ALL the players that read the newer AARs understand that 1941 is about both sides holding hands taking a summer walk together 30 miles a week to the east. While special rules limit the German advance, if the logistics system was so good why the special rules?

2. The logistic system 2.0 is worse far worse than 1.0. Again if your open minded and read the AARs 1.0, you can see that with evenly matched players the game goes to 45.
The Russians generally go on the offensive in mid to late 43 ( OMG historical ) not spring of 42. 1.0 43-45 the Germans can put up some kind of a defense.
If your not grinding an axe 2.0 1942 Germany can't put up a defense, because SHC does not have a supply issue. The Russian logistic system was horrible, it took them months to build up enough supplies for offences.
The current system gives all sides the same system, that's not historical.

3. The VP system as is looks historicaly right to me. Changing the 1941 VP conditions does nothing to fix the core issue, its a Band-Aid on a 3 inch wide 6 inch deep knife wound.

4. Its clear to everyone ( hello ) its not working. Russia going on the offensive in 1942 after players putting in 100's only to find 2.0 yields unhistorical results, while 1.0 yields historical results.
No player I know is going to love dumping 100's of hours into a game only to find out it is flawed.

The core issue is the logistics system, if not why are there special rules for Germany in 1941. If the logistics system was not the core issue, there would be NO as in NO special rules.

I personally hope that it can be saved. Ignoring the issue and hoping the Band-Aid stops the bleeding is not going to save the patient.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Week 55 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI