Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/26/2021 4:21:43 PM   
Fenarid

One of the best thought trees. It would be epic if we could get similar in DW2.

youtu.be/E6mOF6vV424
Post #: 1
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/26/2021 5:18:38 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Well its a pretty looking tech tree in line with the art style of dark ages hack n slash. But seems like it would be a bit out of place in a sci fi based 4x rts?

Don't get me wrong I think they could probably spruce up the look up the tech tree for dw2 but in the end its rarely something I ever look at unless I am stacking up skills to train.

I'd rather they spend their art budget somewhere else.

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 2
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/26/2021 5:48:38 PM   
Fenarid

I didn't mean the visual side. The technical side of this tree is very interesting and forces choices.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 3
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 3:53:59 AM   
TSBasilisk

The May update video has some information on the tech trees and a brief look at it.

The tech trees are planned to be somewhat variable so you're likely not going to get the same one between one game and the next.

< Message edited by TSBasilisk -- 8/27/2021 3:54:19 AM >

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 4
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 6:14:45 AM   
Bleek

The game has been in development for years and years. We're close to launch (relatively speaking).

You can assume at this late stage the tech tree isn't changing and is likely complete.

(in reply to TSBasilisk)
Post #: 5
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 8:21:47 AM   
Fenarid

I hope you are wrong. Last time, as they showed the technology tree, it looked like ****.

< Message edited by Fenarid -- 8/27/2021 8:49:11 AM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 6
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 9:06:30 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fenarid

I hope you are wrong. Last time, as they showed the technology tree, it looked like ****.

The new tree is a HIDDEN tree where the path will change from one game to the next... so you can't just select the same technologies every game and end up in the same place.

It is not like the game you pointed to as that is VERY different. In a game like DW2 you still have to follow a certain logical path as we talk about a natural progress in technology so you can't just connect any technology with any other technology willy nilly, there have to be some logic to it.

Suffice to say the tech tree will be quite interesting to explore and not the same every-time you play the game.

There is the option to have a static tree if you like for people that don't like the hidden more random nature of the tree, but that is an option... options is good.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 8/27/2021 9:08:28 AM >

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 7
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 12:19:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

You said above that you were not speaking about the visual side, but based on your next comment, it sounds like you are? I can say that the tech tree has more techs and more choices than in DW1. At the same time, it's IMHO visually better than in DW1, but it looks nothing like the link you shared so you'll have to see what you think of the choices once you play it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/27/2021 4:01:53 PM   
Fenarid

It all looked bad, the technical and visual aspect. But I don't care (for now) about the visual one, I know it's a placeholder.
I just don't like classic tech trees. I must have seen them too many times, and I like to make tough decisions like which tech to skip. Classic tech trees rarely give such opportunity. One of the few things that was well done in Endless Space 2 was the tech tree. Where all technologies could be reserched, but rarely we had enough time to do so. This forced prioritizing some technologies and skipping others.

< Message edited by Fenarid -- 8/27/2021 8:31:35 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/30/2021 10:08:11 AM   
wetpig

In Distant Worlds 1 you could lower the research speed to the point where choosing your research became a choice that could represent a decade or more worth of research and therefore time investment. I like huge galaxies and i felt in DW1 that you got warp tech that allowed you to traverse the galaxy to quickly, so I made the tech ultra slow.

I also modded the drives to be slower with less range as well but that's off topic.

So if your worried about getting all techs or not having meaningful choices I'm pretty sure the tech speed (cost) option will make you happy :).

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 10
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/30/2021 12:02:38 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

It all looked bad, the technical and visual aspect. But I don't care (for now) about the visual one, I know it's a placeholder.
I just don't like classic tech trees. I must have seen them too many times, and I like to make tough decisions like which tech to skip. Classic tech trees rarely give such opportunity. One of the few things that was well done in Endless Space 2 was the tech tree. Where all technologies could be reserched, but rarely we had enough time to do so. This forced prioritizing some technologies and skipping others.

In most games this has to do with pace... if you slowed down research high enough you produce the same effect. Given that you now will have a hidden tree and don't know the exact path in every game and combining that with slow technology research you will get exactly what you want.

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 11
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/31/2021 7:36:33 AM   
Fenarid

Partly. If the tech tree is linear and there are no branches, then there will be no decision to be made.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 12
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/31/2021 11:04:18 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Partly. If the tech tree is linear and there are no branches, then there will be no decision to be made.

As it change from game to game and you don't know exactly how it is laid out you can't say it is linear. Connection will certainly not be pure random either so you will likely know what is likely to come up, you just can't be sure in what order they will come up.

If you combine this with slow enough technology you will never be able to research everything you end up in something quite interesting the will provide hard decisions every-time you play.

To be honest the type of tree you mentioned in the first post would not work for a game like this at all...

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 13
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/31/2021 2:53:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I can assure you the tech tree has branches and there are decisions to make.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fenarid)
Post #: 14
RE: Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? - 8/31/2021 8:18:25 PM   
Fenarid

Good to hear(read) it. If you need any extra input, you have my beta application.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Cen we get tech tree like in Wolcen ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI