Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tacview: Should I ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tacview: Should I ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tacview: Should I ? - 7/31/2021 6:01:47 PM   
nukkxx5058

I'm very tempted to buy Tactview on Steam but I'm not very rich these days... so I'm still hesitating.
Should I buy it ?
Post #: 1
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 7/31/2021 6:34:44 PM   
thewood1

I bought it and it was neat...for a few games. After that, I found it was a drag on performance and didn't add much value. Haven't turned it on in quite a bit.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 7/31/2021 6:50:57 PM   
nukkxx5058

oh, I didn't consider the performance issues ... will need to investigate this further and see if it's OK for my PC. Thanks.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 7/31/2021 11:57:18 PM   
Gunner98

I did not buy it because I was worried that I would get distracted into the micro-3D. Personal choice, and I know my foibles, some of the footage is fantastic...

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/1/2021 7:09:08 AM   
nukkxx5058

I remember I tried the free version (or was it a time-limited demo, I can't remember?). It was quite nice if I remember well. But I was quite overwhelmed with the new CMO interface so I didn't pay attention too much to the 3D thing, especially regarding the potential performance drag.

Another question: apart from 3D view, does Tacview brings other features (like some battle planner/viewer or so ?)

Any way to get a demo (for a second try) or was the demo a one-shot gun ?

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/1/2021 11:24:38 AM   
thewood1

No, its just for a generic representation of the 3D battlespace.

I did dome tests and posted them when TacView option was first revealed. I'll see if I can track them down. But even on a fairly powerful rig, it was a very noticeable drag on fastest acceleration rate of the game. If you only play 1:1 up to 1:5 and have a mid-range PC, you won't notice it.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 6
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/1/2021 1:51:52 PM   
nukkxx5058

I have: Ryzen 5 1600 six-core 3.20Ghz
16 GB RAM
Win 10
Radeon rx580 8GB

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/1/2021 8:56:10 PM   
kevinkins

Hi nukkxx5058

Tacview is a "luxury item". You can have a life time of fun with CMO without it.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/2/2021 3:32:36 AM   
boogabooga

I like Tacview, but if anything it gives away how light the CMO physics/flight models are and how uncertain 3D positions actually are compared to say, DCS.

If you have a limited budget for CMO stuff, I would recommend the expansions and/or LIVE missions instead.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 9
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/3/2021 10:14:10 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

It's a personal preference in my opinion. I don't use it, it's a bit pricy and I'm already so accustomed to playing Command without it that it isn't worth the expense to me.

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 10
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/4/2021 1:39:53 PM   
p1t1o

Its great to add a little extra visual, but it doesnt add any tactical advantage and yes, there is a performance hit.

I like that it is an extra feature, but the price of Tacview is a little high for what it adds.

Buy it when you're not strapped for cash, there are better things for the money.

Unless you also have DCS, for which Tacview is much more useful.

< Message edited by p1t1o -- 8/4/2021 1:41:46 PM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 11
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/6/2021 5:38:41 PM   
HaughtKarl

I bought it with the expectation that I could watch replays through Tacview but unfortunately that feature ended up being exclusive to the pro version CMO. So unless you fly DCS I say it's not worth it or if you're curious wait until the next Steam sale.

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 12
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/6/2021 6:14:12 PM   
stww2

What would happen if you watched a replay made using CMO's built-in recorder tool? Could TacView be used with that?

Just thinking out loud here. As a practical matter, I'm not sure if anyone has actually used that tool, ever...I certainly haven't and I also never hear about it...

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 13
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/6/2021 7:45:51 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks everybody. After reading the comments I will pass. The main issue being the price and the performance drag.
So instead I will buy a DLC. Which one would you recommend?
- Kashmir
or
- Desert Storm
or
- Silent Service ?

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 14
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/6/2021 10:19:00 PM   
kevinkins

nukkxx5058

You will learn a lot about a somewhat unknown aspect of warfare if you get Silent Service. The others are great as well.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 15
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/7/2021 7:12:01 AM   
nukkxx5058

I'm really hesitating ... the ultimate goal being to have them all (I already have all previous ones).
Silent Service is definitely tempting. But Kashmir too.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 16
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/7/2021 9:26:41 AM   
thewood1

Between the two, Kashmir covers a lot more subject matter. Its got a balance of air, sea, and land.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 17
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/7/2021 12:09:19 PM   
Sardaukar

Silent Service is good.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/9/2021 11:01:42 AM   
tylerblakebrandon

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

Thanks everybody. After reading the comments I will pass. The main issue being the price and the performance drag.
So instead I will buy a DLC. Which one would you recommend?
- Kashmir
or
- Desert Storm
or
- Silent Service ?

Kashmir FIre is my favorite DLC since Chains of War. Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 19
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/9/2021 1:33:58 PM   
Mundy

I bought it originally for my debriefs in DCS. Having it work here is just a bonus.

(in reply to tylerblakebrandon)
Post #: 20
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/9/2021 3:32:59 PM   
thewood1

The above is probably the best point. If you already have it or want it for a flight simulator, it can be fun to play around with it on CMO. Otherwise, I struggle to see the long-term use.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 21
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/30/2021 4:38:42 PM   
nukkxx5058

I just opted for Kashmir. Just bought it. Will try it asap.
Thanks for your imputs guys !

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 22
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/31/2021 8:05:19 AM   
R_TEAM

have it bought just after CMO .... from the website self .... its a nice thing to visualize the going-on in simply 3D GFX - if you put the effort in to DL the CMO terrain files, it even look more better ...
It is a musst have ...... no ..... but this is practicaly going for "all" GFX advancing in hardcore strategic/war-sim games - have played PanzerStrike on the C64 ... The full Harpoon pack on Amiga ... so the fun dont realy come from the GFX - but would you like play an wargame today with C64 GFX ?? .... i am not ....

Regards

< Message edited by R_TEAM -- 8/31/2021 8:06:41 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 23
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/31/2021 8:22:55 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: R_TEAM

have it bought just after CMO .... from the website self .... its a nice thing to visualize the going-on in simply 3D GFX - if you put the effort in to DL the CMO terrain files, it even look more better ...
It is a musst have ...... no ..... but this is practicaly going for "all" GFX advancing in hardcore strategic/war-sim games - have played PanzerStrike on the C64 ... The full Harpoon pack on Amiga ... so the fun dont realy come from the GFX - but would you like play an wargame today with C64 GFX ?? .... i am not ....

Regards

I'm just afraid about the performance drag. This is why I decided to to but it for now (and the price of course. If it was 20 bucks I wouldn't hesitate)

You mentioned the CMO terrain files : Is it just for the 3D or does it has an impact on 2D satellite map too ? Like having it on local drive instead of the cloud to make loading times faster ?

(in reply to R_TEAM)
Post #: 24
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 8/31/2021 8:31:06 AM   
R_TEAM

i dont get an performance slowdown - but have an 12 core xeon cpu - 16GB RAM - and an good GPU with 8GB VRAM ... so no problems on this side
The terrain files are "only" for TacView - to show the terrain in the same textures as the sentinel2 view in CMO .... it is not for, or help CMO in any way
(and actual it takes ~10min to load up the files properly over the default Tacview terrain textures part for part - so an good addition, but far from perfect ...)

Regards

< Message edited by R_TEAM -- 8/31/2021 10:03:06 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 25
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/1/2021 8:05:40 PM   
R_TEAM

Oh - and an addition ....
CMO and TacView run better together, if you split the cpu cores self around the two ...
I have 12 Cores - TacView get 4 and CMO 8 ... (i know - overkill - but you get the idea)
Both run then even smother as before ...

Regards

(in reply to R_TEAM)
Post #: 26
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/1/2021 8:43:51 PM   
thewood1

Outside splitting cores, if you run Op Brass Drum at full time compression, measure the game time compared to real time, then do the same with TacView running, the TacView run will be 10-20% slower. I have run this test on multiple PCs and the TacView run is measurably slower. Thats on a 20 core i9 and a then on an i7. 2080 on the first one and 1660 on the second.

Thats not saying that at lower time compressions, you might not consider it an issue, but there's no free lunch. The cycles have to come from somewhere.

(in reply to R_TEAM)
Post #: 27
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/1/2021 11:22:34 PM   
R_TEAM

mhhh ....
i don't really think so, the CMO is designed to handle an high amount of cores (parralel threads) ... so i think the problem come here from the same i see ...
If you "not" distribute the cores self (windows is here not an good example of doing this "smart" ) , then both programms fight over the same cores and slow down the game.
would be interesting to see the same test with distribute a couple of cores (dont think TacView can handle self more than 4 threads...) to TacView and the other to CMO exclusively...
if then still a slow down, then it comes from the interprocess communication between CMO > TacView

Regards

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 28
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 12:41:05 AM   
thewood1

So run my test. Its fairly easy to do. Lets see what it does on your machine.

(in reply to R_TEAM)
Post #: 29
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 3:54:58 AM   
boogabooga

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Outside splitting cores, if you run Op Brass Drum at full time compression, measure the game time compared to real time, then do the same with TacView running, the TacView run will be 10-20% slower. I have run this test on multiple PCs and the TacView run is measurably slower. Thats on a 20 core i9 and a then on an i7. 2080 on the first one and 1660 on the second.

Thats not saying that at lower time compressions, you might not consider it an issue, but there's no free lunch. The cycles have to come from somewhere.

What exactly is the point of using Tacview in full time compression anyway? If anything, it's best used with 1:1 or very light time compression so that you can actually see what is going on. At 1:1, performance impact is not really noticeable, as far as I can tell.

< Message edited by boogabooga -- 9/2/2021 3:59:16 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tacview: Should I ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI