Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

T25

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> T25 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
T25 - 8/27/2021 10:20:29 AM   
RoadWarrior

OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gundam1985)
Post #: 61
RE: T25 - 8/27/2021 10:20:57 AM   
RoadWarrior

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RoadWarrior)
Post #: 62
RE: T25 - 8/27/2021 10:21:30 AM   
RoadWarrior

Northern front

Attachment (1)

Post #: 63
RE: T25 - 8/27/2021 10:22:02 AM   
RoadWarrior

South

Attachment (1)

Post #: 64
T26 - 8/27/2021 10:23:09 AM   
RoadWarrior

SHC 16 battles with 5 held results. GHC attacked 2 times and win both times. Losses were 33k GHC to 48K SHC

Attachment (1)

Post #: 65
RE: T26 - 8/27/2021 1:54:49 PM   
Q-Ball

3.6 mil Soviets on the map is critically low for this time.....should be close to 5 mil.

1 mil in Reserves, not sure what they are doing.

Post #: 66
RE: T26 - 8/27/2021 2:13:27 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

3.6 mil Soviets on the map is critically low for this time.....should be close to 5 mil.

Still a 4.6 million man army and Roadwarrior even has 3,000,000 Russian Casualties. That is still a huge Red Army even if 1,000,000 is in reserve and it is going to do nothing but grow over the next few months. Remember 500,000 of those in Reserve came from the Nov 25th bonus they get on that turn. The Soviets will get another 200,000 men in May of 42. So by that time the Soviet Army should be BIG when the Germans TRY to go on the offensive in the spring. Add another Assault Hq for the Soviets and subtract one for the Germans in 42 and the Soviets are almost on par with the Germans.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 67
RE: T26 - 8/27/2021 2:39:47 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Still a 4.6 million man army and Roadwarrior even has 3,000,000 Russian Casualties. That is still a huge Red Army even if 1,000,000 is in reserve and it is going to do nothing but grow over the next few months. Remember 500,000 of those in Reserve came from the Nov 25th bonus they get on that turn. The Soviets will get another 200,000 men in May of 42. So by that time the Soviet Army should be BIG when the Germans TRY to go on the offensive in the spring. Add another Assault Hq for the Soviets and subtract one for the Germans in 42 and the Soviets are almost on par with the Germans.

I do think the Soviets are too strong into 1942 at the moment; a few more games need to get there to confirm, but no argument

The Manpower drops don't immediately count in reserves though; only if they get added to units in the Reserves. If they are in Manpower pool they won't show up in any OOB numbers.

In my game vs. RW, I've had fewer losses and keep the Reserves empty, but I'm already close to 5.5 mil in December

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 68
RE: T26 - 8/27/2021 4:04:56 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I do think the Soviets are too strong into 1942 at the moment; a few more games need to get there to confirm, but no argument

The Manpower drops don't immediately count in reserves though; only if they get added to units in the Reserves. If they are in Manpower pool they won't show up in any OOB numbers.

In my game vs. RW, I've had fewer losses and keep the Reserves empty, but I'm already close to 5.5 mil in December

To be honest you made some mistakes and should have a larger army than u do, but I also made a few.

I have enjoyed our summer walk in Russia. We both get an A+ for that

< Message edited by RoadWarrior -- 8/27/2021 4:06:00 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 69
RE: T26 - 8/30/2021 9:20:16 AM   
gundam1985

The Soviet army is huge and waiting for the 1942.

Post #: 70
T29 - 8/31/2021 12:22:29 PM   
RoadWarrior

Turn 27
SHC 2 battles with 0 held results. GHC attacked 0 times.
Turn 28
SHC 7 battles with 1 held results. GHC attacked 2 times with 1 held results.
Turn 29
SHC 18 battles with 3 held results, losses were 50k. GHC 2 battles with 2 held results, losses were 30k

Attachment (1)

Post #: 71
RE: T26 - 8/31/2021 12:44:31 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: gundam1985

I think you understand the logistics system far better then the others.

Your army is far more mobile than M60 and others. A fat bloated army is slow and can only grind.

Once the special rule set of 41 is over, papering over the short coming of the logistics system you dump the reserves back into your Army which will lead to a 42 SHC steam roller I am guessing.
Completely unhistorical, but we did not write the code we all just play with what we were given.

The game about logistics not the size of the ones army.

< Message edited by RoadWarrior -- 8/31/2021 12:47:45 PM >

(in reply to gundam1985)
Post #: 72
RE: T26 - 8/31/2021 4:45:48 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoadWarrior

quote:

Your army is far more mobile than M60 and others. A fat bloated army is slow and can only grind.

Once the special rule set of 41 is over, papering over the short coming of the logistics system you dump the reserves back into your Army which will lead to a 42 SHC steam roller I am guessing.
Completely unhistorical, but we did not write the code we all just play with what we were given.

you keep on mentioning this 'special rule set', what do you mean? The modelling of the real problems the Germans had with using civilian trucks (of many makes) or integrating their train stock into the Soviet system?

Post #: 73
RE: T26 - 8/31/2021 6:06:57 PM   
AlbertN

If I well understand the issue is that hardly Germans can achieve historical results as of now - which should be the 'Average' of the game. How many Axis players get to Orel, Rostov, Kursk etcetera.
And how many can also keep a good portion of these through the coming winter?

Gundam is a good player though - he beated my Germans hands down by turn 10, with his Soviets having stalled at dead point the whole Axis advance north of the Dnepr to Leningrad. (By stalled I mean having turned it into a 0-1 hex trench war slog) - So he'll give you some good hell.

< Message edited by AlbertN -- 9/1/2021 1:53:06 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 74
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 4:19:58 AM   
gundam1985

In fact, I'm good at playing German than Soviet.

Post #: 75
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 9:22:04 AM   
gundam1985

Here is the T29 OOB.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gundam1985 -- 9/2/2021 9:23:14 AM >

(in reply to gundam1985)
Post #: 76
T30 - 9/2/2021 11:09:35 AM   
RoadWarrior

Turn 30
SHC 28 battles with 9 held results, losses were 55k. GHC 3 battles with 2 held result, losses were 34k

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gundam1985)
Post #: 77
T30 - 9/2/2021 11:10:05 AM   
RoadWarrior

South

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 12:11:00 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

quote:

you keep on mentioning this 'special rule set', what do you mean? The modelling of the real problems the Germans had with using civilian trucks (of many makes) or integrating their train stock into the Soviet system?

Loki don’t be so defensive and simply look at the results.

Gundam is basically mocking the whole system by having 1,000,000 men in reserve and still achieving an unhistorical great 41/42 winter. SHC does not need to defend Leningrad, black sea ports, planes or those 1,000,000 men. Just run at just the right speed, because of a poorly designed logistics system.

The current model is all about SHC running at the correct speed as Q-ball and I have talked about in PMs. It has zero to do with trucks and trains, player skills ect ect. If SHC runs at the correct speed you will get unhistorically low Russian loses and an unhistorical 41/42 winter SHC offensive which German army simply can’t recover from because it causes a feedback loop and than SHC is on a unhistorical offensive in 42. This running at just the right speed tactic is used because of special rules put on the Germans logistics system.

As AlbertN points out “ the issue is that hardly Germans can achieve historical results as of now - which should be the 'Average' of the game. How many Axis players get to Orel, Rostov, Kursk etcetera. And how many can also keep a good portion of these through the coming winter?”

This is all caused by special rules to the German logistics system. If the logistics system is so great why all the special rules that cause the game to be so unhistorical?

This will become more unhistorical and more boringly predictable as more and more AARs show players how to game the poor logistics model.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 79
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 12:23:27 PM   
AlbertN

My list of Balance issues go beyond the Logistic - that is not even at the top - but it is neither 'just Assault Soviet HQs' that oversimplifies it.

Here I feel RoadWarrior went where the logistics helped them - as per where ports assisted the insufficient railroads.
There is also the other component that to take Orel and then lose it during Winter nets to the Soviets a +6 too (That is why I am insisting VPs need rework, and certainly Bonus for premature conquest only for who has the initiative).

But mostly it's the Combat Capability of the Red Army that is exceedingly overwhelming. And I do not think it's just due to Assault HQ but also due to the sheer possibility of retreating and avoid engagements til they're ready for. (Which may be a consequence of the logistic Axis hamstring) paired up with the possibility of the Soviets to bomb railyards and the like with little to no opposition.

Edit: Adding up - there is no 'steep learning curve' or 'players must master the business' excuse. A single game takes hours of one's life. If the game feels wrong, players move on (At least I do at some point if I do not see proper changes) than to waste hours trying to master a system that is perceived as flawed.

< Message edited by AlbertN -- 9/2/2021 12:26:51 PM >

Post #: 80
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 12:34:46 PM   
RoadWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

My list of Balance issues go beyond the Logistic - that is not even at the top - but it is neither 'just Assault Soviet HQs' that oversimplifies it.

Here I feel RoadWarrior went where the logistics helped them - as per where ports assisted the insufficient railroads.
There is also the other component that to take Orel and then lose it during Winter nets to the Soviets a +6 too (That is why I am insisting VPs need rework, and certainly Bonus for premature conquest only for who has the initiative).

But mostly it's the Combat Capability of the Red Army that is exceedingly overwhelming. And I do not think it's just due to Assault HQ but also due to the sheer possibility of retreating and avoid engagements til they're ready for. (Which may be a consequence of the logistic Axis hamstring) paired up with the possibility of the Soviets to bomb railyards and the like with little to no opposition.

All good points.

After March 42 the logistics system is really broken. Historically it took months for the Russians to build up supplies for limited offensives.
Currently SHC can attack all along the front 50+ times a turn and never run out of gas or ammo.

The result is weaker German resistance with each passing turn, so CCP, logistics planes and really manpower (1,000,000 men in reserve) become a non-factor for the SHC.

How amazing unhistorical is 1,000,000 men in reserve and the SHC is attacking all along the front with the german army simply melting.

I fail to see how the devs can defend this?

IT IS VERY CLEAR 2.0 is a complete flop when compaired to 1.0

< Message edited by RoadWarrior -- 9/2/2021 12:38:26 PM >

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 81
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 12:57:31 PM   
loki100

quote:

I fail to see how the devs can defend this?

IT IS VERY CLEAR 2.0 is a complete flop when compaired to 1.0

usual reminder - keep it polite

and perhaps avoid too much hyperbole?

Post #: 82
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 1:04:19 PM   
loki100

quote:

Loki don’t be so defensive and simply look at the results.

Gundam is basically mocking the whole system by having 1,000,000 men in reserve and still achieving an unhistorical great 41/42 winter. SHC does not need to defend Leningrad, black sea ports, planes or those 1,000,000 men. Just run at just the right speed, because of a poorly designed logistics system.

The current model is all about SHC running at the correct speed as Q-ball and I have talked about in PMs. It has zero to do with trucks and trains, player skills ect ect. If SHC runs at the correct speed you will get unhistorically low Russian loses and an unhistorical 41/42 winter SHC offensive which German army simply can’t recover from because it causes a feedback loop and than SHC is on a unhistorical offensive in 42. This running at just the right speed tactic is used because of special rules put on the Germans logistics system.

As AlbertN points out “ the issue is that hardly Germans can achieve historical results as of now - which should be the 'Average' of the game. How many Axis players get to Orel, Rostov, Kursk etcetera. And how many can also keep a good portion of these through the coming winter?”

This is all caused by special rules to the German logistics system. If the logistics system is so great why all the special rules that cause the game to be so unhistorical?

This will become more unhistorical and more boringly predictable as more and more AARs show players how to game the poor logistics model.

no body is being defensive, but I'd strongly suggest that its not the logistics system. I have a game to T12, I have 40 MP+ mobile units, 14+ infantry and can do very little with that asset.

The issue lies in the Soviet use of assault fronts, that solves their command problems, gets most units under good commanders, avoids the problem of how to rest and refit when on a strategic retreat, plus the movement and combat capacity to inflict serious damage.

play without that and you get the game we saw late in the beta, plenty of variation, plenty of instances of perfectly ok German players (like me) doing fine. I ran one test game into mid-42, did less well in the north, was running around the Caucasus, in other words the sort of situation you'd broadly expect to see.

You've done a good job so far of not being too Pelton like to raise no concerns ... thats something worth keeping up

Post #: 83
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 1:10:34 PM   
loki100

quote:

Edit: Adding up - there is no 'steep learning curve' or 'players must master the business' excuse. A single game takes hours of one's life. If the game feels wrong, players move on (At least I do at some point if I do not see proper changes) than to waste hours trying to master a system that is perceived as flawed.

again, in part no disagreement, I think its clear that we are not seeing what we expected, ie players sticking to WiTE1 approaches and it all coming apart. There was plenty of that in the beta as players from #1 tried to force the game onto those play concepts.

I can only report what I've seen (but have prob seen more than many on the forum), if Soviet players didn't use assault fronts before Dec 41 the game came out pretty well (both HtH and vs AI), with that there are too many advantages - and I think that links to the combat capacity point you make.

Bombing railyards is a red herring, as we've shown its the depots well back that are critical. An army HQ adds a big enough processing bonus to wipe out any harm from bombing

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 84
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 1:32:14 PM   
AlbertN

Loki - forgive me if I misunderstood how it works please correct me.

A HQ increases the Storage Capacity of a Depot - that is the sum of Railyard Size, Port Size and HQ Type.

That is not relevant to bombing the Railyard itself - that where it is of size 2 or more, adds to the capacity of mobilizing Freight around. (As per a virtual rolling stock presence)

Thus if let's say Minsk Railyard is bombed - and that is a big railyard - and from 100% goes down to 50% functionality (An abstraction); the Storage Capability drops from 60k + HQ to 30k + HQ, fine and fair!
But the rolling stock contribution to what can arrive here is halved!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 85
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 1:37:23 PM   
loki100

quote:

Loki - forgive me if I misunderstood how it works please correct me.

A HQ increases the Storage Capacity of a Depot - that is the sum of Railyard Size, Port Size and HQ Type.

That is not relevant to bombing the Railyard itself - that where it is of size 2 or more, adds to the capacity of mobilizing Freight around. (As per a virtual rolling stock presence)

Thus if let's say Minsk Railyard is bombed - and that is a big railyard - and from 100% goes down to 50% functionality (An abstraction); the Storage Capability drops from 60k + HQ to 30k + HQ, fine and fair!
But the rolling stock contribution to what can arrive here is halved!

the issue is that freight only uses depots within 30 hexes of where it entrains. So the question is how much freight entrains at Minsk? I'd suggest that at the period when its vulnerable next to none. That capacity is great later on when Minsk is well behind the lines, you use the approach of creating demand and prio #4 to build up stock and then release it by dropping priority to 3.

So unless the Soviet player is bombing Minsk when its 15+ hexes behind the front, the reduction of the railyard/rolling stock is not relevant

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 86
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 1:45:38 PM   
AlbertN

That proves my point though.

Yes it is 30 hexes - so Berlin (like a heart) pumps to Poland (supposedly nicely enough) and then there is the reliance on other Railyards to keep shuffling Freight onward.

If Minsk is kept under bombing for a few turns (let's say T1 to T3 not accounting for losses) it will delay the repairs, and thus make it less efficient for the subsequent build up when the front will move onward.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 87
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 2:33:02 PM   
Beethoven1

quote:

The issue lies in the Soviet use of assault fronts, that solves their command problems, gets most units under good commanders, avoids the problem of how to rest and refit when on a strategic retreat, plus the movement and combat capacity to inflict serious damage.

Is it really the assault fronts? In my very first game (multiplayer game also), I played as Soviets and I didn't make a single assault front until winter (because I figured at that point having not played before that it was good to use AP to replace bad commanders first, and that would also let me build forts in the meantime).

AAR here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5012736

And nevertheless I was doing a lot better than historical. Granted the Germany player definitely made mistakes and was new to the game (as I was), but nevertheless I feel like it is worth mentioning that there is at least this one example where Soviets did absolutely fine and had way lower than historical losses despite not having assault HQs. As a side note, this also is a game where Germany routed a lot of Soviet units. From the game design that is supposed to be pretty good to do and the only viable option for Germany is not supposed to be that everything has to always be isolated and eliminated. But that didn't work, there were simply too many Soviets to keep routing them all (especially in the good defensive terrain in the north, but also elsewhere). And also this was without fortress cities working. I sacrificed 7 divisions in Odessa that instantly died before it was even isolated, and after that didn't use any fortress cities. That is supposed to help Soviets, but didn't and Soviets still did fine.

< Message edited by Beethoven1 -- 9/2/2021 2:37:54 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 88
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 3:25:59 PM   
loki100

quote:

That proves my point though.

Yes it is 30 hexes - so Berlin (like a heart) pumps to Poland (supposedly nicely enough) and then there is the reliance on other Railyards to keep shuffling Freight onward.

If Minsk is kept under bombing for a few turns (let's say T1 to T3 not accounting for losses) it will delay the repairs, and thus make it less efficient for the subsequent build up when the front will move onward.

it really doesn't prove your point - sorry to be so direct but you are misunderstanding.

there is a discussion in the manual in the player's notes as to how freight moves, how that interacts with railyards etc.

What happens is freight leaves the NSS with the 'trains' it needs, it really almost never uses intermediate railyards unless it ends up in a secondary depot (where units can't access it). Then it will re-entrain if that is how you have the system set up.

Now lets say you get Minsk connected on T3 and it gets bombed to the ground. A HQ will still allow it to process so that isn't too much of an issue. It is very very unlikely to send out freight to another depot - ie use its local railyard capacity, for some time. Odds on it takes in freight and feeds it straight out to AGC till you are near Smolensk, then it might start to retain some surplus. At a later stage you can release that surplus, but we're talking say T8+ before this kicks in

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 89
RE: T26 - 9/2/2021 3:35:07 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beethoven1

quote:

Is it really the assault fronts? In my very first game (multiplayer game also), I played as Soviets and I didn't make a single assault front until winter (because I figured at that point having not played before that it was good to use AP to replace bad commanders first, and that would also let me build forts in the meantime).

AAR here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5012736

And nevertheless I was doing a lot better than historical. Granted the Germany player definitely made mistakes and was new to the game (as I was), but nevertheless I feel like it is worth mentioning that there is at least this one example where Soviets did absolutely fine and had way lower than historical losses despite not having assault HQs. As a side note, this also is a game where Germany routed a lot of Soviet units. From the game design that is supposed to be pretty good to do and the only viable option for Germany is not supposed to be that everything has to always be isolated and eliminated. But that didn't work, there were simply too many Soviets to keep routing them all (especially in the good defensive terrain in the north, but also elsewhere). And also this was without fortress cities working. I sacrificed 7 divisions in Odessa that instantly died before it was even isolated, and after that didn't use any fortress cities. That is supposed to help Soviets, but didn't and Soviets still did fine.

I am personally convinced it is the Assault HQ. I have played both sides and say with first hand knowledge it is the cause. Many may disagree with me like many do but it will come around soon enough as always.

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> T25 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI