Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Russo-German War 1941-45

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 4/29/2020 5:48:31 PM   
fulcrum28

how do you repair railways in this scenario as German?

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 31
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 4/29/2020 6:34:40 PM   
Hellen_slith

iirc, it is auto-repair (but which can be helped by nearby engineers / supply)

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 32
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 4/30/2020 11:48:20 AM   
cathar1244

This is from the scenario description document.

quote:

Bautrupp:
These units are for railroad repair and were designed specifically for easier playability. They can move only by rail, and will repair damaged rail lines nearest their location. Repairs take place automatically between turns, and require no action by the player. A bautrupp unit need not be directly adjacent to broken rail lines in order to make repairs, just nearby or in the vicinity. It should be sufficient to keep these units several hexes behind the front and out of harms way. The game engine repairs rail hexes each turn automatically, and it will tend to focus on broken rail lines near any bautrupp units [embarked or not]. Therefore, the player can easily channel rail repairs to specific important areas. Because it is a large map you may not notice all repaired hexes as they can occur anywhere.

These units will all reconstruct, but there is no need to put them in harm's way so you really shouldn't lose any of them. Note that if you hit the '.' [period, dot] key on the keyboard, you can easily cycle thru these units [if they are embarked as they should be].

The maximum number of Axis Rail Repairs is set to twelve, although during the Axis Supply Collapse the maximum number is reduced to three [from November 16th, 1941 to March 1st, 1942]. During this time period it may be best to concentrate all Bautrupp units in one area in order to see any effect.

Cheers

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 33
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 12:32:47 PM   
Cpl GAC

I'm bored that Gerry is always gray, SS always black, Soviets red, etc. So, I colored the Russo-German War Soviet and German counters to look more like the country's colors - a combination of vehicle colors and uniform colors.

The main Soviet colors are their olive drabs (and that putty-colored blanket over their shoulder), Shock & Guards have red, the tanks are dark green foregrounds and white like their turret unit markings, NKVD and Air are that mix of uniform light and dark blues on the drab, Naval has black, Opolchenyie in black and brown (like a working person's coat)...

Gerry is true Feldgrau (mouse gray too), the tanks have Panzer Grau and the rose of their shoulder board trim, the Luftwaffe has Luftwaffe Blue, Supply has the light blue of their shoulder board trim, Coastal artillery crimson because crimson trim shoulder boards of the artillery.

AND the Waffen SS is their camo blouse color... (so are the SS MPs, but worth it...)

I did a lot of actual hex color research and seeing pink/rose on German armor is different - BUT historically relatable.

Attachment (1)

If you're STILL making Panzer IIs after seeing your first T-34... you're probably going to lose.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 34
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 12:38:43 PM   
Cpl GAC

Here's Ivan - the elite main color shows in the upper right naval piece.

Attachment (1)

If you're STILL making Panzer IIs after seeing your first T-34... you're probably going to lose.

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 35
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 1:20:25 PM   
Lobster

My eyes. Aghhhhhhhhh...

Attachment (1)

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 36
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 1:45:50 PM   
Cpl GAC

What I read was the rose for the Panzer troops was an inside joke while hiding from everyone they were building the war machine up. I always know where the panzers are...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 2:25:50 PM   
fulcrum28

Beautiful work!

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 38
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 2:31:05 PM   
fulcrum28

could you try to make each German army with slightly different tones or colors for visual identification? The colors you chose are great and very realistic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 39
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 3:45:49 PM   
Cpl GAC

Here's the German hex color "cheat sheet" to decimal color # I built as I was checking the appearances. The tutorial on it made it easy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 40
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 7:16:26 PM   
sPzAbt653

Make sure that the following Formations have separate colours from the rest:

German 1.Kavallerie Div
German Axis Nachsch Kol

All Axis Minors, each country has it's own color scheme

Soviets Coastal Army

These Formations withdraw by Colour. Therefore, if they are not separate, you will have a problem.

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 41
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/8/2021 9:02:59 PM   
Cpl GAC

I didn't do it "in" the editor - I followed Bob Cross's fantastic tutorial. So the 1st Kavallerie is still "unit color code #13" (but their color combination is now historical yellow gold trim foreground on panzer grau background, and all the OKH is on Feldgrau main color (and the Luftwaffe field divisions too because they were given color code #12 and I'm not changing that). Soviet Coastal same - unit color code #92. I didn't re-color the Axis Minors.

Note - Gerry Supply actually uses unit code #71 here - which is the Finnish main color in this scenario.

Let me know if this part needs a different thread - I'm assuming it withdraws color code #13, not the decimal color combo gray/gray/black/black. Does anyone know if that's correct?

My thought is one would almost be better starting in the COL file and changing/adjusting 8 color codes (2 columns - example; not only #10-#14 for OKH but expand the main color to #10-#18). As there are 22 "columns" of main colors, use 3-4 sets as one main color - THEN you could color Armies and Fronts for shorter-term scenarios instead of putting the Luftwaffe Field Divisions in the OKH and the Supply "in with the Finns" - IF the program doesn't read color in blocks of 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 42
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 2:38:15 AM   
sPzAbt653

The program goes by the Numbers as seen in the chart that you posted [not by the actual colors]. So those numbers correspond to the chart [which is what is seen in the Editor but that doesn't show the numbers] or to the COL File Line #'s.

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 43
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 1:53:00 PM   
Cpl GAC

Thank you for clarifying that - the 1st Kavallerie is still <COLOR ID="13" .

Really well-done scenario, very much appreciated.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 44
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 3:41:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Think how trivially easy this is to do under TOAW IV, compared to TOAW III.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 45
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 3:51:06 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Depends what you're trying to achieve. I masked different colour schemes as the same scheme by copying and renaming the existing files, allowing me to leverage the "Withdraw Army" event to save me entering in masses and masses of "withdraw unit" events.

I was at a loss as to how to replicate this in TOAW IV so I went ahead and made all the "Withdraw Unit" events. A real pain in the arse.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 46
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 3:57:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Depends what you're trying to achieve. I masked different colour schemes as the same scheme by copying and renaming the existing files, allowing me to leverage the "Withdraw Army" event to save me entering in masses and masses of "withdraw unit" events.

I was at a loss as to how to replicate this in TOAW IV so I went ahead and made all the "Withdraw Unit" events. A real pain in the arse.

I was referring to re-colorizing the counters.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 47
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 5:30:36 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

That's exactly what I was doing. I was taking green counters and turning them into grey counters. I didn't want a new colour, I wanted to copy an existing colour.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 48
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 6:26:19 PM   
Cpl GAC

I don't want to open a can of worms, but if this chart is true, then recolored COLOR ID="4" fights and cooperates like COLOR ID="25", but you can withdraw all COLOR ID="4", make 4 and 5 look like 25 then upgrade 5, etc. If it's not true then you have to grind it out as you have.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 7:13:55 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

That's exactly what I was doing. I was taking green counters and turning them into grey counters. I didn't want a new colour, I wanted to copy an existing colour.

Re-colorizing the counters has no effect on withdrawal events, Army or otherwise.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 50
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 8:59:25 PM   
Lobster

§§ Withdraw an Army: All units with exactly
the same icon color scheme (foreground
and background) as a selected unit will be
withdrawn from the Theater. This includes
Reinforcements not yet on the Map.

§§ Withdraw Unit/Army and Disband Unit
Events: ... require a unit specification.

Only the original color applies. Shoulda been changed to the edited color long ago.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 9/9/2021 9:00:51 PM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Post #: 51
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/9/2021 10:24:44 PM   
Cpl GAC

An example color code line is; <COLOR ID="10" MainBackground="5070163" Background="16777215" Foreground="7106155" Numbers="16777215"/>

I'm not a programmer, but I bet Withdraw an Army was most likely based on "all units <COLOR ID="10"" , not all units having "MainBackground="5070163" Background="16777215" Foreground="7106155" Numbers="16777215"/> .

The program should act like "withdraw <COLOR ID="10" BUT <COLOR ID="22" MainBackground="5070163" Background="16777215" Foreground="7106155" Numbers="16777215"/> would not withdraw even though visually to us it looks the same because it's COLOR ID=# is different.

Hence my chart/question above - if the gold columns are true, then I doubt COLOR #22 withdraws because the program is only looking for COLOR #10... BUT COLOR #10 AND COLOR #22 should fully cooperate on Force Support and Army Support because for cooperation it needs to look past <COLOR ID=# to the Mainbackground= color and then the Background= color unless it's told "Internal Support" first.

But I could be way wrong. Mainbackground= #s (what we see as the counter's base color) are in groups of 5 and it might have some step about that before going to Mainbackground=.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 52
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 12:32:01 AM   
Lobster

When the word icon is used replace it with unit or counter. The phrase 'icon color scheme' is used in other places in the manual. I think it's fairly clear what is meant: (sarcasm intened)

§§ Internal Support: Units assigned to the
Formation may only freely cooperate with others
in the same Formation. Limited cooperation is
possible with units using the same icon color
scheme
; no cooperation is possible with units
using a different icon color scheme.

§§ Army Support: Units assigned to the
Formation may only freely cooperate with
others in the same Formation, or those using
the same icon color scheme (icon and symbol
color
)...

§§ Withdraw an Army: All units with exactly
the same icon color scheme (foreground
and background
) as a selected unit will be
withdrawn from the Theater. This includes
Reinforcements not yet on the Map.

Unit Standard Icon Colors
Icon colors are significant. Remember that each
degree of separation you select in your icon color
schemes
will add a degree of separation in unit
cooperation. Maximum cooperation is possible
between units with identical icon color schemes.
Less cooperation is available between icons with
similar background colors and different foreground
(symbol) colors. Very little cooperation is possible
between units with different icon base colors.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 9/10/2021 12:35:44 AM >

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 53
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 8:26:45 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Re-colorizing the counters has no effect on withdrawal events, Army or otherwise.

Exactly. I wanted to use the different colours to make the units withdraw, and it was easy to then mask the different colours by swapping in a different graphics file.

Now... I'm sure it's possible, but I found it quicker to go build an extra 100 or so events than figure out how.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 54
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 1:31:16 PM   
Cpl GAC

Here's what I think is going on in the database architecture and how to solve your problem, Golden. Lobster, I put icon color scheme in bold for you...

I've never built a scenario and I'm not planning on starting that learning curve, but it's easy enough to test if someone would try it. It just requires recoloring 10 lines of color code in this three Army example - trival.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 1:57:17 PM   
Lobster

The program will only use the original colors. Ignores what you do to change them. All you are changing are the graphics that are seen in the game. The original colors are still used for things like cooperation. It's hard coded unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 9/10/2021 1:59:39 PM >

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 56
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 2:23:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The program will only use the original colors. Ignores what you do to change them. All you are changing are the graphics that are seen in the game. The original colors are still used for things like cooperation. It's hard coded unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

I'm perfectly clear on that. The change is purely for the benefit of the player- who doesn't want to see red, green and blue German infantry just because they're withdrawn by different "withdraw army" events

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 57
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 2:48:48 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Now... I'm sure it's possible, but I found it quicker to go build an extra 100 or so events than figure out how.

It would have been easier to figure out how - practically trivial, in fact. And then you would have known how to do what almost every scenario designer is now going to be doing on almost every new design: getting the colors perfect!

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 58
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 3:15:06 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I'm not a programmer, but I bet Withdraw an Army was most likely based on "all units <COLOR ID="10""

It's based on the Unit # as seen in the color charts posted here. This way the program can tell that 5 is similar to 6 thru 9, but different from 65 thru 69. The confusion is that because those numbers are not seen by the user, whoever typed up the explanation used 'color' as a definition instead of 'scheme #3' or 'Icon #5' or some such. In reality, the program has no idea what color units are.

DL the chart and keep it handy and you will have a heads up on sanity

(in reply to Cpl GAC)
Post #: 59
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 - 9/10/2021 3:23:48 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

quote:

It would have been easier to figure out how - practically trivial, in fact. And then you would have known how to do what almost every scenario designer is now going to be doing on almost every new design: getting the colors perfect!

Only because we are forced to. It used to be MUCH easier by using 'copy color' in any graphics program. 'Color Swap' would require one program and three clicks-done. The new process for IV requires eight programs and is cumbersome and time consuming. Plus it restricted the game to using only one set of counters. Plus it ruined many scenarios that used custom icon sets. These are contributing factors to why so many designers have left to work on other games.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI