Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Rich info map UPDATED 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> New Rich info map UPDATED 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Rich info map UPDATED 2 - 5/31/2021 12:31:48 PM   
Skacee

Hello sirs,

here is finished new map (i use it now) which is mainly focused to give more info then Chemkids (and stock) but to keep some od its flavor.

This is the FINAL VERSION. Both stock and extended map, with les vivid colors

I understand for veterens could be cramped, so it could by usefull for some of us.
Personaly I wish this game has switch also for (and not only) for base names...

Rich info map.

Main characteristic in short:
- All bases has on map names
- Scenarios 1,2, last AndyMac Update (to 31.5.2021), stock, extended.
- based on Chemkids map,
- each terrain has its color,
- bases with HI have red square under flag, LI is blue,
- cities hex - Heavy urban dark red, Light urban orange,
- hexes with oil 80+ has black leaks, 79- brown leaks,
- navigable rivers,
- repair shipyards have R after name of base.

23.9.2021 UPDATE
- New version of the Rich info map - "1942 version"
- this version has more of 1942 maps flawor, smaller fonts
- many bugs removed (i am reworking original version of the map)

25.9.2021 UPDATE
- "1942 version" map rechecked - bugs repaired

5.2.2022 UPDATE
- "Stock version" - the most current stock map updated by Andrew Brown with all names from "rich map mod". Names of the bases are again checked and repaired. There will be Extended map as well. Many thanks to Andrew Brown and his generous support.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skacee -- 2/5/2022 7:27:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 12:08:11 AM   
Gters

Nice job!

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 2
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 1:54:05 AM   
gervabit

Do you have it in the stock version? (not extended)

(in reply to Gters)
Post #: 3
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 3:28:50 AM   
NigelKentarus

Nice

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to gervabit)
Post #: 4
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 4:49:32 AM   
Pliny

The map looks great. My only suggestion would be to have the option of downloading the same map, but with a darker palette of colors. The current seems slightly too bright for my taste.

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 5
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 9:31:34 AM   
HansBolter

Where are the "Flags"?

I see red and blue squares that are supposed to be under the flags, but see no flags at all.

Many base names are just floating in space with no idea where the associated base is actually located.

Without icons to locate bases I am underwhelmed.

Hans

(in reply to Pliny)
Post #: 6
RE: New Rich info map - 6/1/2021 10:30:12 AM   
Skacee

Hans,

these are just map files, rest of images in art folder must be left there. Then you shouldnt have any problems with flags and other icons etc.. Sorry for not describing this more clearly.

Pliny, gervabit
I have plans to issue more variations of the map, also with different styles and colors, stock version as well. It will take some time though.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: New Rich info map - 7/17/2021 8:55:25 PM   
Skacee

Hello guys,

i have finished "The Rich info map". Many errors removed, design is changed little bit. I hope it will be helpfull for you.

I have done both versions - stock and extended.

You could download it at a website for it here.

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 8
RE: New Rich info map - 7/24/2021 1:47:18 AM   
Moltrey

Thanks for the hard work Skacee, I will give it a try soon. Downloaded.

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 9
RE: New Rich info map - 7/24/2021 8:37:00 PM   
John 3rd

Nice. Will take a look.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 10
RE: New Rich info map - 9/9/2021 4:56:36 PM   
Moltrey

Skacee, you still around? Enjoying this version immensely, my only quibble is the modern font used to label seas. Rather anachronistic for me, but not bad.

Great work and a shameless bump to keep this in the fold for additional work and community attention/support.
Thanks!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 11
RE: New Rich info map - 9/11/2021 7:20:38 PM   
huda0816

I also want to say thank you!

Downloaded the map when I restarted to play witp ae some weeks ago but switched to your map just recently.

Love the aesthetics and the information provided.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 12
RE: New Rich info map - 9/23/2021 7:16:31 AM   
Skacee

Guys very thank you, and here is something new for you!

23.9.2021 UPDATE
- New version of the Rich info map - "1942 version"
- this version has more of 1942 maps flawor, smaller fonts
- many bugs removed (i am reworking original version of the map also)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skacee -- 9/23/2021 7:17:26 AM >

(in reply to huda0816)
Post #: 13
RE: New Rich info map - 9/23/2021 2:00:42 PM   
Kull

I'd recommend taking the time (probably well over an hour) to load up the map and then hover the cursor over each base to get a spelling comparison between the names on the map and those in the database. On the new 1942 map, I spotted four errors, and it was far from a comprehensive check:

Hydebarad (Map) - Hyderabad (Data)
Silhar (Map) - Silchar (Data)
Taung Gui (Map) - Taung Gyi (Data)
Nakhon Si Tammarat - Nakhon Si Thammarat (Data)

Also, the F6 key show that Calcutta has a river boundary on all 6 sides, but there isn't a river graphic separating it from the three hexes on the right (Diamond Harbor up to Jessore). I talked to Andrew Brown about that (it's an issue on the standard map as well) and while he's correct that it isn't "geographically accurate", that's beside the point since it IS that way in-game, and it's misleading (and potentially catastrophic) not to add a visual cue for the player.

That said, it's kind of a visual shock when you first load up the new map, but it's very well done and has been growing on me. Nice work.

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 14
RE: New Rich info map - 9/23/2021 2:39:06 PM   
Kull

One other thing: It looks like the road network from the "Extended Map" has been used in the "Stock Map". Not a big deal (since it's only a graphics glitch), but in Malaya there's an unnecessary small road running from Kluang to Malacca, passing through the ocean hex to the west. Similar issue in the Philippines with a small road running from Clark Field to Iba also via the ocean hex to the west. And the road from Clark to Bataan is entirely in the ocean.

Edit: Speaking of roads, the graphics are missing for the road SW from Buna toward Kokoda Trail, and the opposing one running E from Port Moresby.

< Message edited by Kull -- 9/23/2021 4:21:17 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 15
RE: New Rich info map - 9/23/2021 6:05:50 PM   
Skacee

Kull,
thank you very much. Input from experienced guy is what i am waitng for. I have already checked the map against data twice, and it is not for just an hour. So any input is welcomed, my eyes simply doesnt see it so easy. I have taken a road system from Chemkid's resource files. I will repair those things soon.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 16
RE: New Rich info map - 9/24/2021 10:48:01 PM   
Skacee

I checked the map and i repaired above mentioned errors and those new i have found. So i think is +- ok. Uploaded.

< Message edited by Skacee -- 9/24/2021 10:53:48 PM >

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 17
RE: New Rich info map - 9/25/2021 12:14:28 PM   
OnWargaming

Many thanks Skacee, I am using your map for my current Guadalcanal game and I am very pleased by it!
I like your map because is easy to understand the terrain and I found very helpful the additional base infos, moreover it is nice to see as well.

Btw, do you have a version with the railroads graphically less intrusive? In the region with lots of them the map is a bit heavy to read (like Japan and India).
Of course it is just a personal opinion about aesthetic, the map works good anyway

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 18
RE: New Rich info map - 9/25/2021 3:55:05 PM   
Kull

Thanks for the fixes. Here's a few more to look at:

Ahmadabad (Map) - Ahmedabad (Data)
Sambalp (Map) - Sambalpur (Data)
Tannan (Map) - Taonan (Data)
Jahore Bahru (Map) - Johore Bahru (Data)
Bacalod (Map) - Bacolod (Data)
Rusell Islands (Map) - Russell Islands (Data)
Mare (Map) - Mare' (Data)
Tabiteaua (Map) - Tabiteuea (Data)

Probably missed some, but my eyes are glazing over!

Edit: I recommend that you improve the reef graphics. Some of those in the Marshalls are pretty good (although even they could be improved), but the Great Barrier Reef (and most of the rest) are almost invisible.

< Message edited by Kull -- 9/27/2021 1:22:09 PM >

(in reply to OnWargaming)
Post #: 19
RE: New Rich info map - 10/1/2021 8:27:32 PM   
Moltrey

Skacee:
I have installed WITP:AE again and downloaded your latest map mods.
Outstanding work my man, just really nice. While I like the new "1942" version, my 57yr old eyes are enamored with the darker green theme. Love the use of fonts on it and of course the indicators and tasteful use of color on in-game buttons and the like. Can't say enough good things about it. You have upped my AE interest three-fold sir.

Cheers!
and keep up the great mods.
M.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 10/9/2021 4:58:43 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 20
RE: New Rich info map - 10/10/2021 3:25:11 PM   
Bleek

Really nice work, I particularly like the 1942 edition. I just wish the water was darker.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 21
RE: New Rich info map - 10/12/2021 6:12:45 PM   
Moltrey

Skacee:
I have reloaded WITP:AE and used your base enhancement mod with the first (original) fonts, indicators, etc.
While testing the mod I noticed a few things that I want to provide some constructive criticism on.

1) Mapicons: Not sure if it is something I did, but the base Naval anchor and all the ship symbols on the map itself in-game are WHITE, not a nationality-specific color. So all the ships are colorless based on a quick glance around. I ended up using some of the ALT Mapicon files to change it, but I believe you meant to use the default color schemes for the Nations, like Dutch being an orange and French light blue, etc. When I go into the ART folder and look at the mapicon files, the ground units are colored, but the upper symbols and anchor are not.

2) Ocean (Deep vs. Shallow): This is a nitpick, but the difference btw the two is not quite enough to help my eyes "pick out" the difference at a glance. I wouldn't want a drastic difference, but a bit more seems in order. Same goes for some of the ocean labels, just a bit too faint.

3) Base Name Locations: Here I just think you need another run thru the locations in-game to double check how the location looks and what things are blocked, distance from the actual base, etc. Nothing is bad, but might use some tweaking here and there.

4) Terrain Graphics: Overall I really like the more muted green scheme a lot. But perhaps a bit more to delineate between types of terrain in-game. For instance, swamps don't stand out much. I know it is another layer in Photoshop, but maybe a black ink "weed" pattern or something?

5) Game Start and Setup Screens: I understand the look you are going for here. The Pacific map in the background and basic labels. But I find my eyes get "lost" in the muted color patterns and everything blends together too much. I wouldn't want anything real bright of course. Perhaps some lower shadows on the labels and a much more defined "switch" graphic to change the side you are playing. I would like to see another pass by you on this one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I REALLY like the stuff you are coming up with and the willingness to improve things.
Thanks for listening.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 10/12/2021 6:13:14 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 22
RE: New Rich info map - 10/19/2021 10:53:04 PM   
Moltrey

Skacee:

Some more up-to-date news. Andrew Brown from the original Development Team on WITP:AE has made updated/corrected versions of both the original and extended maps.
They can be seen in the main forum titled "A map update" (original) and "Extended map - updated version now available".
I know it will mean extra work, but thought you would be interested in an official fixed map to use on the mod.

Thanks

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 23
RE: New Rich info map - 11/4/2021 5:58:25 AM   
Skacee

Hello guys,

i am slowly adapting map to your suggestions into the map, already some are finished.

But I am still between two homes right know as we are moving to another location, so time is chalenge now. Thank you for your response and help, this is was hoping for.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 24
RE: New Rich info map - 11/5/2021 11:33:13 PM   
Moltrey

Ah... GREAT news then Skacee. Congrats on the move btw.

Looking forward to what you come up with once settled in the new digs.
I will be loading it asap and "kicking the tires" for you.
Thanks!

P.S. Just a note, if the board seems a bit hyped by Andrew doing official map fixes, it is because it has been years since the last official updates. While AndyMac does some art updates strictly for scenario/AI scripting purposes, these new updates of both map styles (original and extended) are a real breath of fresh air around here.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 11/5/2021 11:58:27 PM >

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 25
RE: New Rich info map - 11/6/2021 10:48:57 AM   
OnWargaming

Thanks Skacee for the time that are you spending on it, much appreciated!

I am going to start a campaign game very soon and I am using your map with great pleasure

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 26
RE: New Rich info map - 2/5/2022 7:19:40 PM   
Skacee

Hello sirs,
i have updated the page!

Thanks to Andrew Brown help - there is the last Andrew Brown stock map with all the names of bases ready for download. This version is without LI, HI etc details, just all bases. Pls write here if there will be any errors.

Some minor bugs with mispelled names repaired as well. I will add extended version soon.

And then i will go trough previous versions and update them also.

< Message edited by Skacee -- 2/5/2022 7:21:36 PM >

(in reply to OnWargaming)
Post #: 27
RE: New Rich info map - 2/6/2022 7:10:13 PM   
Moltrey

Many thanks for taking this up again Skacee- I know it is a lot of tedious work.
Cheers!

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> New Rich info map UPDATED 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI