Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Remain on Station

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Remain on Station Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 4:18:21 PM   
JorMallester

If a friendly task force has reached its destination hex with remain on station enabled, will the task force still react to enemy task forces if it has a set "React" distance set? ( In my case "3" )

I only ask this question as I have a surface combat task force consisting of a CA and three or so DD's set to remain on station just outside Hong Kong. They have been there for a few turns now and enemy TF's are just sailing by retreating from Hong Kong. At one point, an enemy TF was visible on the map in the hex next door to my own TF, and next turn resolution they just sailed further away and my own boys did nothing.

Task forces are being spotted by my naval search, as I have some Betties and Nell's doing work. I do understand that even with "React" set to a set amount (greater than zero obviously) there is still a chance your TF will not actually react; due to the "leader" making his own call, the set threat tolerance (which I have at Normal) and maybe perhaps weather having an effect?

If I am just having some poor luck, then that is totally fine with me. I just want to make sure that that is indeed what is occurring.

I did look through the manual, but could not find something to clarify my concern.

If any feedback could be offered it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
Post #: 1
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 5:03:57 PM   
WEXF

I don't pretend to be an expert, but what I think might be a better approach is to have your ships in a patrol zone that has the hex you have them in now set for PZ1, an adjacent hex as PZ2 and not have them on ROS. Just a thought.
WEXF

(in reply to JorMallester)
Post #: 2
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 5:17:07 PM   
HansBolter

Remain on Station cancels Reaction.

If you want to remain in one hex and be able to react, use a one hex Patrol Pattern.

Patrolling ships will react.

Hans

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 3
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 5:18:36 PM   
JorMallester

quote:

ORIGINAL: WEXF

I don't pretend to be an expert, but what I think might be a better approach is to have your ships in a patrol zone that has the hex you have them in now set for PZ1, an adjacent hex as PZ2 and not have them on ROS. Just a thought.
WEXF

That is also something I considered. I don't mind doing that, just looking to see if the method I am using does not work.

Thank you for the reply!

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 4
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 5:19:28 PM   
JorMallester

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Remain on Station cancels Reaction.

If you want to remain in one hex and be able to react, use a one hex Patrol Pattern.

Patrolling ships will react.

Perfect! Just needed confirmation.

Many thanks guys!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 5:45:36 PM   
Alfred

The "remain on station" order does not, ipso facto, prevent a reaction from occurring.  None the less, a Surface Combat TF with the remain on station order should not be given a reaction range because should it actually react, that action resets the remain on station order to return to home port.  The other possible orders, such as "follow" or "patrol are not similarly reset after the reaction.

Just because enemy TFs have a sufficiently high enough MDL for their icon to positioned on the map, does not mean that a reaction should have occurred.  There are many factors taken into account before a reaction might result, such as

• leader stats
  • the on the spot TF commander does not necessarily have the same intel as does the player subsequently
  • relative speed of the TFs
  • relative strengths of the TFs
  • damage, ammo and fuel status of the TF
  • strength of enemy air
  • TFs won't react if it entails moving into a known enemy minefield

Submarine and carrier TFs operate under similar considerations except that carrier TF also take into account embarked aircraft and sortie status.

As can be seen, there are many factors which can prevent a Surface Combat TF from reacting.

Alfred

(in reply to JorMallester)
Post #: 6
RE: Remain on Station - 10/1/2021 11:37:05 PM   
Ian R

Also, bombardment forces have a tendency to return to home base, after bombarding, due to ammunition expenditure.

There is a mention in the manual of what level of ammunition expenditure prompts a return to base.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Remain on Station Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI