Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone seen the Unicorn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Anyone seen the Unicorn? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 2:06:30 AM   
Zemke

I have looked at several H vs H AARs, trying to find the one with the German player adjacent to Moscow in Dec 1941 and Leningrad isolated? Where is that unicorn?

I mean seriously, there should be some, right?

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 2:15:38 AM   
Zemke

This should be moved to the AAR section, which is where I thought I posted it, but guess not.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 4:42:34 AM   
Joel Billings

What I have seen reports of are cases of Soviet players surrendering in the first dozen turns where they have felt their position was untenable.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 1:13:03 PM   
GibsonPete

I am with you. I have heard of this 'Unicorn' but have never seen it. I wonder if it is a fairy tale. Something told to scare certain fans.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 6:10:08 PM   
carlkay58

Both HLYA and Tyronec did it against me in 41 during the playtesting (the first two games I ever played as the Soviets vs humans). I have seen several where Leningrad is isolated or falls in 41 or early 42. So many people have written off Leningrad pushes because of the bad terrain that an alert Axis player could surprise the Soviet player with a quick redirection of panzer forces. If the Axis can burst through to the Luga River line then the 10 hex limit will not allow Soviet reinforcements near Leningrad and it will take some time to move them into defensive positions.

The Axis player must do some misdirection OR put enough pressure on the Soviets in the Leningrad/Moscow/Ukraine axis that force the Soviets to have to defend everywhere. With this pressure the Soviets will have to make some decisions about where to thin the defenses. Currently the Soviet defenders appear to decide that the southern flank will be defended by supply limitations alone. It will not. If the Axis player knows their logistic system well enough you can supply a thrust out to Stalingrad in 41 without more than small supply problems. Thrusts that deep in 41 will severely damage the Soviets for 42 and later. The hit in the replacement rates alone will damage the Soviets in the long run.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 7:24:01 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Both HLYA and Tyronec did it against me in 41 during the playtesting (the first two games I ever played as the Soviets vs humans). I have seen several where Leningrad is isolated or falls in 41 or early 42. So many people have written off Leningrad pushes because of the bad terrain that an alert Axis player could surprise the Soviet player with a quick redirection of panzer forces. If the Axis can burst through to the Luga River line then the 10 hex limit will not allow Soviet reinforcements near Leningrad and it will take some time to move them into defensive positions.

The Axis player must do some misdirection OR put enough pressure on the Soviets in the Leningrad/Moscow/Ukraine axis that force the Soviets to have to defend everywhere. With this pressure the Soviets will have to make some decisions about where to thin the defenses. Currently the Soviet defenders appear to decide that the southern flank will be defended by supply limitations alone. It will not. If the Axis player knows their logistic system well enough you can supply a thrust out to Stalingrad in 41 without more than small supply problems. Thrusts that deep in 41 will severely damage the Soviets for 42 and later. The hit in the replacement rates alone will damage the Soviets in the long run.

The South is very doable for the Germans in 41. Carlkay58 is correct 100% there. Tyronec is a master at the South offense by the way. I am going to try and match Tyronec in my 2nd game against Guctony in the South but will be a first for me.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 8:40:28 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke

I have looked at several H vs H AARs, trying to find the one with the German player adjacent to Moscow in Dec 1941 and Leningrad isolated? Where is that unicorn?

Was Turn 14 in a game in the BETA from a Soviet perspective against me as Germany.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/28/2021 9:11:50 PM   
loki100

quote:

oddly this public AAR shows the Axis take Leningrad and threaten Moscow - https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4953967

even better its stickied so easy to find

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 12:58:47 AM   
Zemke

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

oddly this public AAR shows the Axis take Leningrad and threaten Moscow - https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4953967

Is that AR a Human vs Human game? It looks like an AI game.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 1:11:35 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is a human vs human. The Soviet perspective is here https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4953743 Bobo vs Gloriousruse

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 7:17:15 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

yep HtH, fairly clearly stated in the second sentence of the first post?

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

My name is Robert and with Tim we are going to give you an insight into a Gary Grisby's War in the East 2 multiplayer game. As I have more experience with the War in the East series, I will play the bad guys.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 1:29:28 PM   
karonagames

Before I stopped playing the game, I was looking at data trying to explain why the Axis are having such a tough time getting anywhere close to the December 1941 historical front line. I looked at WITE1 saves for games against the AI where I had achieved Historical Results, and compared them to saves for WITE2 also against the AI where I had fallen short of the historical front line.

I compared the relative performance of German Infantry divisions between WITE1 and 2 and was gobsmacked when I found that between turn 1 and 24, German Infantry divisions made 32% fewer attacks in WITE2 compared to WITE1. Obviously I did not deliberately make 32% fewer attacks- it must be because the combination of factors, such as Logistics,delay, weather, map changes, CPP buildup requiring units to be out of the front line etc., combining to deny the axis the same attacking tempo in WITE2 that can be achieved in WITE1.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has done similar comparisons.

I too doubt that the unicorn will seen in the foreseeable future in AARs of equally skiiled and expereinced opponents.

It's only a Game

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 3:05:26 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: karonagames

I too doubt that the unicorn will seen in the foreseeable future in AARs of equally skiiled and expereinced opponents.

Germans are pretty capable of doing this already. You just need to get the dance steps correctly orchestrated to do so, even against equally skilled Soviets. And currently many Germans are in the process of learning to "dance". I know that I now have a great deal more confidence in the Germans achieving their goals then when I first started the recent AAR. Before I chalked up my success based on inexperienced play on both sides. Now I believe what Joel Billings said is true. Thus I am learning & improving my dance.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 9/29/2021 3:06:17 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: karonagames

Germans are pretty capable of doing this already. You just need to get the dance steps correctly orchestrated to do so, even against equally skilled Soviets. And currently many Germans are in the process of learning to "dance". I know that I now have a great deal more confidence in the Germans achieving their goals then when I first started the recent AAR. Before I chalked up my success based on inexperienced play on both sides. Now I believe what Joel Billings said is true. Thus I am learning & improving my dance.

At least I hope I am improving ;-)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/1/2021 8:53:50 PM   
Zemke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yep HtH, fairly clearly stated in the second sentence of the first post?

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

My name is Robert and with Tim we are going to give you an insight into a Gary Grisby's War in the East 2 multiplayer game. As I have more experience with the War in the East series, I will play the bad guys.

I guess the Unicorn has been spotted, but rarely.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/1/2021 9:36:11 PM   
Zemke

And studying the referenced AAR, BoBo only got within 6 hexes or 60 miles from Moscow, so the Germans did not meet the historical German limit of advance by Dec 6 1941. BoBo also did not meet the German historical advance near Leningrad. Tikhvin fell on 8 Nov 1941 to the 8th Pz Div in -20 below zero weather!! Bobo is 5-6 hexes from Tikhvin.

I guess the search for the Unicorn still goes on!

< Message edited by Zemke -- 10/1/2021 10:17:44 PM >

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/1/2021 10:38:08 PM   
GloriousRuse

He also TOOK Leningrad, and opted not to launch Taifun for all the same reasons we say Taifun was a bad idea. And took Tula, as well as scoring super early bonuses on the bulk of the cities in the center steppes.

So if the Unicorn is a perfect hex by her day by day repeat of history, I think we can say that you're unlikely to see it. If the Unicorn is the Germans having succes in AGC and AGN, he most certainly qualified, much to my chagrin.

< Message edited by GloriousRuse -- 10/1/2021 10:41:41 PM >

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 12:53:04 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: GloriousRuse

He also TOOK Leningrad, and opted not to launch Taifun for all the same reasons we say Taifun was a bad idea. And took Tula, as well as scoring super early bonuses on the bulk of the cities in the center steppes.

So if the Unicorn is a perfect hex by her day by day repeat of history, I think we can say that you're unlikely to see it. If the Unicorn is the Germans having succes in AGC and AGN, he most certainly qualified, much to my chagrin.

Ultimately, in the end Logistics killed the Germans :(

(in reply to GloriousRuse)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 7:10:51 AM   
Kursk1943

...and a few Soviets!

Post #: 19
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 2:10:49 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

...and a few Soviets!

True :).

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 5:43:11 PM   
Zemke

Can the Bobo game outcome be accomplished TODAY. Can two players of similar familiarity with the game mechanics replicate what Bobo did? However even the Bobo game does not meet the historical standard of Germans are adjacent to Moscow on Dec 6 1941 and Leningrad has been isolated. The point, is War in the East 2 is trying to replicate history or is it not? A Test game should be able to match historical outcomes. War in the East is down to the Division and Regimental level, and should be able to come close. The hope is the coming changes to Ast HQs will fix this, but the problem IMO is not just the Ast HQ, but also linked to the logistical model and fatigue build up / shedding rates, National morale, in other words a series of things are out of alinement, IF the goal was to make the game match history.

And before Everyone jumps on the above statement. It was known there would be few if any ARRs that matched historical outcomes. If a historical outcomes cannot be achieved, why NOT is what should be asked. Historical advance rates could be tested by two players using a small frontage matching the same moves and attacks as the protagonist made. Road to Leningrad may be a good scenario to runs such a test. Similar tests could be done for late war scenarios to again see if historical advance rates can be matched. I made this same argument for WitE 1, that the standard should be history itself. Any military game that wants to be at the Regimental/Brigade unit scale and 10 mile hex terrain scale with one week turns should be able to get close.

The game is fun, I enjoy the game, but think WitE2 is not "there yet", more work needs to be done. I bought the game to support the effort to create such a game, and would do it again.

Post #: 21
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 6:16:54 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

If a historical outcomes cannot be achieved, why NOT is what should be asked.

A historical outcome would require historical decision making.

Neither OKW nor STAVKA in PBEM play tend to slavishly follow their historical counterparts.

Expecting a slavish recreation of what happened historically is begging for disappointment.

quote:

The game is fun, I enjoy the game, but think WitE2 is not "there yet", more work needs to be done. I bought the game to support the effort to create such a game, and would do it again.

Emphasis mine. You bought a game, not a recreation of the Eastern Front.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 6:57:52 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Neither OKW nor STAVKA in PBEM play tend to slavishly follow their historical counterparts.

Expecting a slavish recreation of what happened historically is begging for disappointment.

quote:

He recently said I should play the AI, not liking what I said about the book he wants the Soviets to follow.

So my suggestion is this: He plays both sides so he can make both sides do what he wants.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 7:51:08 PM   
Zemke

quote:

quote:

quote:

You and Aurelian seem to be are missing the point. I am asking IF the game was tested using historical as you say decision making, yes, and if so, did the results mirror history. Ideally the results should be the same. If not, then there is a problem. I am not saying players have to make those decisions, that is another thing entirely.

Aurelian, I know you think I am trying to get some sort of scripted play for the Soviets, I am not. I am only wondering how much testing was done based on historical examples. I would assume everyone is striving for that, are we not? The fun of the game for both sides is "can we change history". For the Soviets I think that means if the same decisions are not followed, then different results should come from that, which I agree with that. Same applies to the Axis, if instead they push for the South, different results should come from that, or lets say both sides tried to mirror history, then the results should be very close what took place.

Post #: 24
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 8:22:17 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You and Aurelian seem to be are missing the point. I am asking IF the game was tested using historical as you say decision making, yes, and if so, did the results mirror history. Ideally the results should be the same. If not, then there is a problem. I am not saying players have to make those decisions, that is another thing entirely.

Aurelian, I know you think I am trying to get some sort of scripted play for the Soviets, I am not. I am only wondering how much testing was done based on historical examples. I would assume everyone is striving for that, are we not? The fun of the game for both sides is "can we change history". For the Soviets I think that means if the same decisions are not followed, then different results should come from that, which I agree with that. Same applies to the Axis, if instead they push for the South, different results should come from that, or lets say both sides tried to mirror history, then the results should be very close what took place.

That's a bad premise for testing a game point-blank, and if that was the direction that testing and balance went, there would be howls of protest from all corners.

The other aspect is that it isn't how the game works. There's an element of randomness in the game that will prevent any recreation of the historical outcome with any fidelity. The game departs from history on June 1941, and after that point it only diverges further as the game progresses.

The appropriate way to look at the game is with a view that is sufficiently high level to avoid misinterpretation. Tracking specific hexes is a sure way to misinterpret the state of the game.

Looking at the high level strategic picture is best. What we see there largely mirrors history, in that the Axis make substantial gains in 1941, before slowly running out of steam as the Red Army rebuilds itself into the winter and a 1942 where there is a fine balance between the two sides.

That, to me, feels in the historical space even if a specific hex isn't reached by a specific date.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 8:23:33 PM   
GibsonPete

Zemke is making a valid point. He is simply asking for information gathered during playtesting. Information that led to decisions. Information many of us would like to know about.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 9:18:54 PM   
Joel Billings

I think one thing that is often ignored is that is that in November 1941 the Soviets had amassed several reserve Army’s near Moscow. If I recall correctly, they released one or two of them to hold onto Tula, but they held back to the others. I know few players that would let the axis drive next to Moscow when they had reserve armies sitting nearby unused. How do you factor that into your thinking? It’s for this reason that we purposely create an event to release reserves in late November, but I don’t think we hold back everything. In testing we never told players to purposely play historically. So now I can’t say that we’ve tested that, however the eye place fairly historically and we have test of that. Yes we’d like to think that everything being equal the game would play out historically. That’s our goal, but I can’t for sure that we’ve met it. I don’t think we’re that far off though. We keep finding things to fix and improve and hopefully the game will just keep getting better. In the meantime we think the game is fun to play, but of course we’re biased..

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 9:23:47 PM   
Aurelian

"ORIGINAL: Zemke

Anyway, back to the topic.

Assault HQ are the problem, fix the number the Soviets get at the start, I think is a good solution and an easy one.

If the designers want a more realistic game, and stop the "Sir Robin" retreat, I think implementing some random method that would slow or stop a certain random percentage of Soviet forces from being able to move at all or very much during the first 2 turns. This would balance the game more by implementing a solution based on history, because many Soviet units did not withdrawn for different reasons, either they never received the order to do so, or were executing pre-war plans to counter attack when they could not get through to higher HQ, or they simply were paralyzed by indecision based on rumors and the unknown and fear of making a mistake.

Read Constantine Pleshokov book, "STALIN'S FOLLY, The Tragic First Ten Days of WW II on the EASTERN FRONT". printed by Houghton Mifflin Co, NYC, NY copyright 2005"

This tells me otherwise. So, where are the solutions based on history because the Axis never took Leningrad, stripped AGC of it's panzer groups to help the other two army groups or sending von Richtofen's airgroup to AGN, or Hitler's three priorities, 1: Ukraine, 2: Leningrad (surrounded, not taken), and 3: Moscow, in that order.

Solutions based on history means Russia wins. Every time you play. So, why bother to play a game, much less buy one if you just want to get solutions based on history.

Reminds me of playing AH's Tsushima game. Always played the Russians. Always lost except for the last time I played it. Imagine all the crying about how that isn't historical, etc that I heard when I won.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 10/2/2021 9:35:32 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 9:24:44 PM   
Zemke

quote:

That's a bad premise for testing a game point-blank, and if that was the direction that testing and balance went, there would be howls of protest from all corners.

The other aspect is that it isn't how the game works. There's an element of randomness in the game that will prevent any recreation of the historical outcome with any fidelity. The game departs from history on June 1941, and after that point it only diverges further as the game progresses.

The appropriate way to look at the game is with a view that is sufficiently high level to avoid misinterpretation. Tracking specific hexes is a sure way to misinterpret the state of the game.

Looking at the high level strategic picture is best. What we see there largely mirrors history, in that the Axis make substantial gains in 1941, before slowly running out of steam as the Red Army rebuilds itself into the winter and a 1942 where there is a fine balance between the two sides.

That, to me, feels in the historical space even if a specific hex isn't reached by a specific date.

What premise do you test a historically based war game on if not history? I thought that was why we played it otherwise what's point in playing. And, once again you don't seem to understand what I am saying or just ignoring what I am saying.

At Strategic level, it falls short short of history. Players are NOT able to meet German Advance rates as currently modeled, and that is a fact. Turns 1-3 are a given, but after that it does not happen. A few "hexes" may not mean anything, but in a game where the Germans have to meet a minimum VP level or lose early, it kind of does matter, particularly if using historical advance rates and dates to measure, which the game does use.

Also, it was touted that the new victory "system" would create a dynamic of forcing the Soviets' to have to fight, and the Germans to have to push. That is only half true. The Soviets don't have to fight, and the Germans have to push.

So I pose the question, what exactly am I not getting here?

Post #: 29
RE: Anyone seen the Unicorn? - 10/2/2021 9:42:17 PM   
Zemke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I think one thing that is often ignored is that is that in November 1941 the Soviets had amassed several reserve Army’s near Moscow. If I recall correctly, they released one or two of them to hold onto Tula, but they held back to the others. I know few players that would let the axis drive next to Moscow when they had reserve armies sitting nearby unused. How do you factor that into your thinking? It’s for this reason that we purposely create an event to release reserves in late November, but I don’t think we hold back everything. In testing we never told players to purposely play historically. So now I can’t say that we’ve tested that, however the eye place fairly historically and we have test of that. Yes we’d like to think that everything being equal the game would play out historically. That’s our goal, but I can’t for sure that we’ve met it. I don’t think we’re that far off though. We keep finding things to fix and improve and hopefully the game will just keep getting better. In the meantime we think the game is fun to play, but of course we’re biased..

I have no doubt that you are trying your best with what you have and it takes time to implement any changes and test those changes for something this complex, and I appreciate that and I appreciate the amount of work done to date by you and others building/creating and testing the game. I love the game, it is the best there is out there hands down.

And thanks for answering my bottom-line question about testing. I do think a test game posted on the forms turn for turn from each player mirroring the German advance engaging Soviet units as happened historically would be very beneficial as a benchmark. Granted this realistically could only be done on one axis of advance, maybe one Army Group.

How Would it be Executed:
Each player would attack and defend with the exact units, and see how the results play out. The German plyer would also attempt to move along the same routes, the Soviet player would defend and attack where they did historically. There would not be a winner or loser, just to measure advance rates, battle out-comes and so on. During each starting turn each player would try to post each unit where it was on that date. Lots of notes taken and those posted with screen shots. This would take some research for each player, but would be fascinating to watch.

< Message edited by Zemke -- 10/2/2021 9:44:27 PM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Anyone seen the Unicorn? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI