Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Basic Supply Rules for Newbies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Basic Supply Rules for Newbies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Basic Supply Rules for Newbies - 10/6/2021 2:54:09 PM   
Taxman66

Because I was asked this in a PM, I thought I would shoot a post here to cover the critical basics of the supply rules:

HQs
A lone HQ (at full strength) receiving 6+ intrinsic (i.e. map resource) will 'push' (provide) 10.
A lone HQ (at full strength) receiving 5 intrinsic will distribute 8.
3 or 4 intrinsic will distribute 6. That means at this level the HQ will not provide enough to fully reinforce anything around it.
1 or 2 intrinsic will distribute 5.
Less than that is even worse bad news.

Damaged HQs also provide less supply.

Chain HQs:
A HQ may be supplied from another HQ. This is called chaining.
A chained HQ receiving 1 or more supply from another HQ (itself receiving an intrinsic 3 or more) will distribute 8.
A chain only exists with 1 link, i.e. 1 HQ supplier and 1 HQ receiver.
There can be multiple chains in an area, but each will be 1 link so a 2nd chain requires 2 more HQs (HQ 1 supplies HQ 2; HQ 3 supplies HQ 4).
I believe any HQ (minor/allied/major) on a side can support another on the same side, with the exception of Russia and Western Allies (iirc).
THE COMPUTER/GAME DETERMINES THESE LINKS, NOT THE PLAYER. THEY ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO FLOW THE WAY YOU WOULD PREFER.
Generally the computer will choose the better intrinsic supplied HQ (particularly if it is getting 5+) to supply the HQ getting less than 5 intrinsic. HOWEVER, the computer also prefers to have the lower valued (HQ quality) HQ supply the better (HQ quality) HQ. e.g. the computer will prefer to have Gort support Monty and not the other way around.

Land Units
Land units can be supplied from any HQ (or intrinsic), with some exceptions (Western Allies in Russia).

Air Units
Air units can only be supplied from a HQ they are supported by (or intrinsic). It is very important to remember this and keep air units a) supported by a HQ if not near high intrinsic source; and b) near that HQ. If you operate air units, be sure to check and possibly change which units nearby HQ(s) are supporting.

Land and Air Units
Upgrading and Reinforcement
With 6+ supply units can be upgraded and fully reinforced.
With 5 supply units can be upgraded and reinforced to str 8.
I think it goes 4->str 7; 3->str 6; and so on.
I'm not 100% sure about reinforcing/upgrading HQs, if chained HQs can do so or if it based solely on intrinsic

Morale and Readiness
Units with higher supply recover morale & readiness better. Units supported by a HQ get an additional bonus to recovering morale & readiness.
Units that don't move/do anything also recover better.
Operating units and Force marching units costs morale/readiness (and shells for forced marched arty iirc). Don't be afraid of this as they can recover it pretty quickly. i.e. GE units will and should force march from Poland to West Germany in order to attack timely. On the other hand it is preferable not to force march (a bit less so for operating) right into the front line.
Swapping units costs some morale/readiness; but often allows additional attacks and allows the swapped in unit to keep some/most of the entrenchment of the original unit. A unit that just swaps doesn't count as having moved so it can be reinforced or upgraded.

< Message edited by Taxman66 -- 2/14/2022 11:35:56 PM >

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Post #: 1
RE: Basic Supply Rules for Newbies - 10/6/2021 2:57:53 PM   
Taxman66

Chain HQ example

The HQ in El Alamein is distributing 8.
The HQ west of Sidi Barrani is getting 2 from Sidi (and 4 or less from Bardia).
The Western HQ would distribute 5 (Sidi) or 6 (if Bardia was at 4 or 5, meaning the HQ was getting 3 or 4 from that town).
However, the HQ in El Alamein is distributing 8 and the Western HQ is getting 1 from the El Alamein HQ. Thus the Western HQ is supported by the El Alamein HQ (Note that there is no other link possible so this one is guaranteed to be established). Thus the Western HQ also distributes 8.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taxman66 -- 2/14/2022 11:39:57 PM >

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 2
RE: Basic Supply Rules for Newbies - 10/6/2021 7:38:36 PM   
Elessar2

I believe the implication of your screenie is that the max link distance is 7, if the boosting HQ is at 8 supply, 9 if it is at 10.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 3
RE: Basic Supply Rules for Newbies - 10/6/2021 7:47:34 PM   
Taxman66

Yes, as the receiving HQ must get 1 supply from the supplying HQ.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Basic Supply Rules for Newbies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI