Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Birthday coupon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Birthday coupon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Birthday coupon - 10/7/2021 6:39:29 PM   
Chris0War

Just received my 3 year anniversary ticket... valid for 11 days ... will DU release before my discount coupon runs out ?

Post #: 1
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/7/2021 6:47:20 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

It would if they announce a preorder phase.

(in reply to Chris0War)
Post #: 2
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/7/2021 7:59:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

Nope, please use it on something else.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 3
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/7/2021 11:05:09 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Well, that was short and to the point.

As far as what to use it on I recommend Master of Magic with the Caster of Magic for Windows dlc.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/master-of-magic-classic-caster-of-magic-for-windows

Sweet sweet old school turn based high fantasy 4x done right and the windows dlc adds a ton of features and bug fixes etc.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 9:09:15 AM   
deMangler

I can sleep for the next week or so then.

Post #: 5
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 1:46:46 PM   
Chris0War

That was harsh! But close to reality....

After scouring the store i decided upon Ravenmark Scourge of something something

'tis actually a pretty nice game, so far ...

Post #: 6
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 4:11:21 PM   
First_Contact_Gamer

Thank you Erik, this saves me 3 refreshes of this forum a day for the next 11 days which should be one hour and 39 minutes. Now I can’t take that time and invest it in a “Learn Finnish in 2 hours!” Course! 🙂
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Nope, please use it on something else.

Post #: 7
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 5:03:07 PM   
mainebears

Yes - Being from Maine - I kind of like the short and direct approach to communication but we been teasing this game for quite awhile now. I just brought Age of Empires IV Deluxe just to have something else to do other than Stellaris and I am regretting that decision as I don't like RTS games that much. I going to have to do another thing i don't entirely like and go back to playing the Galactic Civilization IV Alpha on Epic Games client and give Stardock a chance to win back my enthusiasm despite still paying Founder edition prices for their new games.

Last we heard Distant Worlds 2 was in alpha / early beta since this spring with hopes that it might release this fall - September - October vicinity ! I am sure the developer / publisher has alot of say over when they feel a game is ready for its initial release. I listen to Brad talk about all the pros and cons of how you prepare for and determine when there will be a release of a new game to maximize profit and to gain the widest adoption and purchase by potential customers.

All that said PR wise it might be good to provide more information on when Distant Worlds 2 might actually be releasing - Obviously development wise the game, assuming it does sell well, is going to see 2 - 3 years of ongoing development and expansions. However, nothing is ever completely ready at launch - Stellaris is still being upgraded after 5 years but its showing its age even to its most die hard fans - GC III never reached potential of Stellaris sale wise even though it could be considered a better game with flawed development cycles although alot better now than it was along the years.

I just seen Erik's response. I understand it but I could quickly tell that it was something i would say if I had no thought for how it might impact anxious future customers.

In my old age now I find myself occasionally reminded of my past and how different decisions might lead to better outcomes. Never happen for me but might been wiser at the time.

Looking forward to an updated prediction of when Distant Worlds 2 might be released and wishing for a successful launch and bright future of ongoing enhancements. Be nice to have a fully windows compatible - multiprocessor supporting game engine even if at present it only has mostly the same game play content as when Distant Worlds 1 was released !!!

(in reply to Chris0War)
Post #: 8
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 10:29:03 PM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainebears

Be nice to have a fully windows compatible - multiprocessor supporting game engine even if at present it only has mostly the same game play content as when Distant Worlds 1 was released !!!

Honestly, immediately after the performance improvements, I'm most looking forward to the new 3D environment. Some people truly don't care for graphics (more power to them), but personally for me graphics can do so much when it comes to being immersed into a game. And no, good graphics are NOT a requirement for games. I enjoy Dwarf Fortress of all things. But I'd be lying to myself if I said Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be more immersive with a fully-functioning 3D environment to explore. I feel the same with Distant Worlds. The game mechanics draw me in to play, but the new graphics in DW2 will truly bring them to life.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 10/8/2021 10:30:22 PM >

(in reply to mainebears)
Post #: 9
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/8/2021 11:47:38 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, it was a quick reply. I very much appreciate everyone who is anticipating the release and checking in regularly, but be assured that you will learn more about the exact release date more than a couple of weeks before it happens and in the meantime, we'll keep providing more and more information leading up to it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 10
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/9/2021 12:42:12 PM   
Wenla

quote:

ORIGINAL: First_Contact_Gamer

Now I can’t take that time and invest it in a “Learn Finnish in 2 hours!” Course! 🙂

Good luck...

< Message edited by Wenla -- 10/10/2021 2:25:10 PM >

Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision

(in reply to First_Contact_Gamer)
Post #: 11
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/9/2021 1:38:29 PM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

Sorry, it was a quick reply. I very much appreciate everyone who is anticipating the release and checking in regularly, but be assured that you will learn more about the exact release date more than a couple of weeks before it happens and in the meantime, we'll keep providing more and more information leading up to it.

Regards,

- Erik

In the Teatime stream, the marketing guy (¿Francesco?) said release date information was going to be delivered next week.

Early next week or late next week?

Post #: 12
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/9/2021 3:02:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

I expect that discussion will happen on next week's Tea Time (Thursday).

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 13
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/9/2021 7:39:19 PM   
Chris0War

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Well, that was short and to the point.

As far as what to use it on I recommend Master of Magic with the Caster of Magic for Windows dlc.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/master-of-magic-classic-caster-of-magic-for-windows

Sweet sweet old school turn based high fantasy 4x done right and the windows dlc adds a ton of features and bug fixes etc.

already purchased the dlc but found some problems with nvidia's integer scaling and the portraying of the game.... might as well take a look again to see if this is solved now. Great suggestion though!

Post #: 14
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/11/2021 3:20:51 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

I expect [release date] discussion will happen on next week's Tea Time (Thursday).

THIS IS HUGE AND IS DESERVING OF ITS OWN POST IN THIS FORUM.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 10/11/2021 3:21:14 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/11/2021 7:28:10 PM   
First_Contact_Gamer

Agreed. This shouldn’t be buried. Erik I think as a whole folks have been very understanding and not pressuring for release to be rushed, think as everyone has said they’re just curious what info has/will be shared.

Make this more public so we can give you guys the support we want to give you and crash the tea time stream with our eagerness. :)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

quote:

I expect [release date] discussion will happen on next week's Tea Time (Thursday).

THIS IS HUGE AND IS DESERVING OF ITS OWN POST IN THIS FORUM.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 16
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/11/2021 11:23:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

I wasn't trying to bury a big announcement, just suggesting that based on what was said above, I expect Marketing will speak further at the usual Tea Time. I don't know exactly what they're going to announce yet - I'm sure I will by then.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to First_Contact_Gamer)
Post #: 17
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 3:13:08 AM   
StormingKiwi

Marketing have been kind of selective with what they promote and how. It doesn't seem like DW2 is a priority for promotion compared to other titles. I'm pretty anxious to see this one succeed.

Post #: 18
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 3:21:16 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: StormingKiwi
Marketing have been kind of selective with what they promote and how. It doesn't seem like DW2 is a priority for promotion compared to other titles. I'm pretty anxious to see this one succeed.

No, I think it's a very high priority, they've just been careful not to overhype until we were closer to release.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 19
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 3:38:17 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

This game will also get a lot of word of mouth sales from the built in fan base. I'm sure all the normal strategy game streamers will do their bit too once it gets to some sort of open beta or a journalist prerelease.

Post #: 20
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 5:49:25 AM   
StormingKiwi

quote:

quote:

No, I think it's a very high priority, they've just been careful not to overhype until we were closer to release.

Overhyping is simply a shorter way of referring to a highly successful promotional marketing campaign.

I evaluate processes by what they do, not by what they say they do. Maybe the DW2 marketing campaign is "very high priority", but that doesn't translate to measurable past action.

Post #: 21
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 9:15:03 AM   
deMangler

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainebears
I just brought Age of Empires IV Deluxe just to have something else to do other than Stellaris and I am regretting that decision as I don't like RTS games that much. I going to have to do another thing i don't entirely like and go back to playing the Galactic Civilization IV Alpha on Epic Games client and give Stardock a chance to win back my enthusiasm despite still paying Founder edition prices for their new games.

I have no time to play games ATM, but the impending DW2 is bending me out of shape... :)
I am avoiding going back to games that I wish I hadn't spent so much time playing, not mentioning any in particular (GalCiv.... oops)

However what I am finding is a good way to cope until DW2 is to play DWU in ways I never have before. There is huge scope for this.
On thing that is working for me is to play DWU as a pirate, bearing in mind that you won't be able to do this in DW2 initial release I am finding playing as a pirate better than I remember.

(in reply to mainebears)
Post #: 22
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 2:13:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Overhyping is simply a shorter way of referring to a highly successful promotional marketing campaign.

I evaluate processes by what they do, not by what they say they do. Maybe the DW2 marketing campaign is "very high priority", but that doesn't translate to measurable past action.

From where I'm sitting, it makes sense to do things the way they have done them. Hopefully by the time DW2 releases, you will have seen much more than you've seen now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 23
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 2:14:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just to be clear, they will be discussing the release this Thursday, beyond that nothing has been promised.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 24
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/12/2021 10:53:08 PM   
sinbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

Honestly, immediately after the performance improvements, I'm most looking forward to the new 3D environment. Some people truly don't care for graphics (more power to them), but personally for me graphics can do so much when it comes to being immersed into a game. And no, good graphics are NOT a requirement for games. I enjoy Dwarf Fortress of all things. But I'd be lying to myself if I said Dwarf Fortress wouldn't be more immersive with a fully-functioning 3D environment to explore. I feel the same with Distant Worlds. The game mechanics draw me in to play, but the new graphics in DW2 will truly bring them to life.

I completely agree. Immersion is everything to me. The sense of scale between planets, bases and ships, plus the different camera angles to appreciate them all. And the fully rendered planets with city lights! Hot damn, that's why I play video games.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 25
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/13/2021 3:00:44 PM   
deMangler

Just to add to the recommendations...
(Princess Bride Grandpa voice)
"There are two games that, the more you dive into them the less disappointed you are."
Distant Worlds, and Shadow Empire.
Shadow Empire is currently discounted on GOG.
:)
Trouble is, it eats your life. But until DW2 comes out it could maintain sanity.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 10/13/2021 3:01:55 PM >

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 26
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/13/2021 10:17:53 PM   
sinbuster

Have they fixed the AI turn times at all? I actually enjoyed Shadow Empire quite a bit, and I don't normally like games with card mechanics. It really scratched that Alpha Centauri itch. Turn times were just brutal though.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 27
RE: Birthday coupon - 10/14/2021 7:36:58 AM   
deMangler

quote:

ORIGINAL: sinbuster

Have they fixed the AI turn times at all? I actually enjoyed Shadow Empire quite a bit, and I don't normally like games with card mechanics. It really scratched that Alpha Centauri itch. Turn times were just brutal though.

There is an open beta. I think improvements have happened, I seem to remember something like a 20% faster turn time being mentioned lately. Also some AI fixes but the emphasis seems to be on not compromising the experience too much for people who like it.
Also - so much depends on the starting conditions and choices you make which can cause a lot of variance.

tl;dr - depends on your system but yep, turn times are probably still brutal.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Birthday coupon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote