Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for new players

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Suggestions for new players Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for new players - 10/12/2021 1:06:53 PM   
pzgndr

With the release of the v1.23.08 update and remastered installer, players now have an easily installable version that is significantly more playable than a decade ago. Bug fixes, AI improvements, game enhancements, and more. It’s time to play this classic grand strategy wargame of the Napoleonic Wars!

New players may be wondering how to start with such a monster wargame. Some want to dive in without even skimming the manual. Good luck with that. Seriously, this game requires a little bit of study but it’s worth the journey. I offer below some suggestions to help new players get going.

1. Take a look at the Murat Tutorial, either download below or find it in the \Data\docs folder with the remastered install. That will help you navigate the user interface and learn some basics to get through a game turn with its different phases.

2. Briefly review the game manual. Understand how it’s set up and where to find more information about how to do something, what all of the different menu buttons do, etc.

3. Try playing several short games as each of the different major powers against the computer opponents. Begin to learn the unique strengths and weaknesses of each player. Refer to the player notes in the manual for ideas regarding gameplay.

4. Go back and start studying the manual regarding “how” to perform various game functions. For example, how to load a corps onto a fleet and move it to an invasion area during the naval phase, unload the corps and place a supply depot on the fleet during the land phase, and then attack during the land combat phase. Nothing is too complicated, it’s just that there’s so many different things to do.

5. By now, players want to know more about “what” to do as a major power to win a game. Refer to the strategy articles in the manual. Also review the Maxims of Napoleon to learn from the master himself. When you are ready, try PBEM and play against other people. Have fun!

Please enjoy Empires in Arms!

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestions for new players - 10/28/2021 8:10:53 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz22513
I'm sure there is a fair amount of people here on the Matrix forums like the look of this game, but are unsure of either buying the game or have the game already but are unsure how to play it correctly, if there were maybe a video lets play available created by someone who knows what the game is about and better still knows what they were doing, it would be a great help for potential new players or players who own the game but have not got a clue what's happening!

I reference the Murat Tutorial as a good first start for players. Just to get an idea of how to perform some basic functions.

Attached here is a copy of the game manual for potential new players to review. Towards the end, there are player notes and old strategy articles from The General. While the idea of a short introductory video might appeal to some, IMHO this grand strategy game has so many different facets to consider that a short video cannot do justice to. My recommendation is to simply jump in and follow the suggestions above. Players will probably find that even after playing for quite a while that they will still be unsure how to play it "correctly." Just try to make fewer mistakes than your opponents.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestions for new players - 10/31/2021 4:41:34 AM   
seydlitz22513

Reading Murat Tutorial and the game manual is one way to go yes I agree, but I'm sure the vast majority of players would prefer video tutorials and lets plays to follow, all the most popular big Matrix games have experienced gamers doing video lets plays.

Saying that I'm delighted to see the game being improved via all your hard work behind the scene, because without your dedication to enhance the game it would have withered and died, your work gives the game a bright future and I thank you for that.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/3/2021 4:30:32 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I'm sure the vast majority of players would prefer video tutorials...

Yeah I'm not going to argue with you but it's just not a priority. I ran the idea past Erik Rutins and he said the Marketing team doesn't have time for this, certainly not now during their busy season. I'm not going to do a video. I once upon a time considered rewriting Murat's tutorial ideas as a more formal tutorial document but decided to just slap his screenshots and comments as-is into a pdf and call it a day. His 'tutorial' is quite informative and humorous, and was a purely volunteer effort on his part to post all of that when he did. Certainly if you or anyone else would care to update his work or create a video, that would be great and we could host it here. But I'm guessing most players could spend their time better by simply reading the manual and playing the game. It's not that hard.

Bill

(in reply to seydlitz22513)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/3/2021 7:58:43 PM   
Aurelian

Yeah, I prefer the text rather than a video. Especially since I read far faster than any video.

And yes, I'm buying the game today.

edit: Finally, I got it.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/13/2021 1:31:05 AM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/14/2021 5:43:46 PM   
Aurelian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7W2VTXWUg

Just started looking at it.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/14/2021 11:26:29 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7W2VTXWUg
Just started looking at it.

Very nice. I did not watch all 2 hrs 21 minutes, but that's a nice video introduction from what I saw.

I'd like to add that seeing this on YouTube prompted me to see what else was out there. New players looking for some other video tutorials, AARs, and other information can find some at Empires in Arms Search on YouTube. Some are old (13 years) showing the Matrix game soon after release, but the basic mechanics of play are still the same so new players can see what's happening and how to do things. I also note one tutorial from just a couple weeks ago as a rules primer for video tabletop gaming for the EIA boardgame, but again the rules are still the same so new players can learn from it.

Bottom line is that there are in fact some video tutorials out there if new players want to review them and get something out of them. I still say that learning "how" to do something in the game isn't too difficult if you take some time to review the game manual. Learning "what" to do as a particular Major Power to play well and win is more difficult and will take quite a long while to master. As it should be...

Bill

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/15/2021 1:47:17 AM   
Aurelian

Oh, I agree. The game isn't too difficult if you review the manual. I played the board game back in the mid 1980s. And back then you *had* to read the rules.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/18/2021 6:01:15 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Reading Murat Tutorial and the game manual is one way to go yes I agree, but I'm sure the vast majority of players would prefer video tutorials and lets plays to follow, all the most popular big Matrix games have experienced gamers doing video lets plays.

I just updated the Murat Tutorial thread to be the Empires in Arms Tutorials thread, with posted links to several of the older PC version video tutorials as well as some of the newer boardgame version tutorials. The rules and mechanics of play are still essentially the same, with the difference being mouse clicks versus manual actions. Either way, new players can watch these video tutorials and learn more about the game. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Bill

Post #: 9
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/19/2021 9:15:20 PM   
seydlitz22513

Thanks much appreciated.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/26/2021 9:39:09 AM   
Elim

Hello all!Can we discuss in Discord for the EiA?

Post #: 11
RE: Suggestions for new players - 11/26/2021 10:10:19 AM   
Elim

Hello all!Can we discuss in Discord for the EiA?

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Suggestions for new players Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI