Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/12/2021 12:01:37 AM   
laagamer

Hey, new player here. Having a lot of trouble with this scenario.

It appears the rails can never be repaired fast enough to have any meaning in moving troops around.

The Soviets are somehow so entrenched in Odessa that they can't be cut off or removed, they only get stronger every turn, which makes no sense to me considering they're cut off. I've got them encircled with the 2nd and 3rd Hungarian Corps, and they're 5-6 hexes behind my frontline. Doesn't matter. They just keep getting stronger every turn.

And, on turn 8, a bunch of Soviet reinforcements spawned on the north side of the map about 10-15 hexes behind my troops. Which seems a bit unfair. I've now had to halt the encirclement of Kiev in order to divert entire Corps back a bajillion hexes to care of them.

What am I missing here?
Post #: 1
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/12/2021 12:22:16 AM   
Great_Ajax

The siege of Odessa was a bloodbath and it took some help from German troops to crack it and it held out until mid October despite repeated attempts to assault it. Odessa was also a major Soviet Black Sea Fleet base. The Rumanian Navy was not up to task to taking on the Soviet Navy. The Soviets still managed to evacuate over 350k civilians and soldiers out of Odessa by sea to Sevastopol before it fell. In short, Odessa is a tough nut to crack and the Hungarians aren't going to cut it.

Your forces aren't operating in a vacuum in this scenario. Panzergruppe Guderian on your left flank is chasing remnants of Soviets units into your battlespace. Thats why they are showing up in your rear. You should be getting Panzergruppe Guderian as reinforcements in that same area. Use them to help complete the encirclement around Kiev.

Rails and logistics are going to be tough. No way around it.

Trey

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/12/2021 1:50:50 AM   
DeletedUser44

Not quite sure on your avenue of advance, not entirely certain what you are up against.

The following is what has worked for me...

1. The game is more about mastering logistics than anything else. With that in mind, prioritize the rail line you intend to convert and make sure that is clear. For maximum conversion rate, you need to plan this 1 turn in advance.

2. Next priority is encirclement and destruction of Soviet units. This is very important.

3. Try to keep your Panzer / Mot. Infantry together in close proximity. Very hard to do mass encirclements if your mobile forces are all scattered across the Ukraine.

4. Reassign the mobile Hungarian and Slovakian units to your German Motorized Infantry Korps. These units are quite good and very useful, if used in conjunction with German mobile formations.

5. Odessa can be taken, but it will require the bulk of the 11th Army for at least 2 turns. But once cleared, it frees up the 11th Army and bulk of Romanians for further advances.

6. I also xfer all of my big Mortar and Super Heavy Arty to 11th Army. This may not be critical, but I like to think it helps.

7. Once you have secured some of the Black Sea ports, you can then start using them for sources of supply. But you will need Constanta to be fully stocked. I usually set Constanta to Supply Level 3 and leave it at that. Then, i set the ports I want supplies shipped to Supply Level 4.

8. Around turn 12 or 16 (cannot remember...), the Romanian Rail Repair disbands. But you will get 4 Labor construction battalions in its place. I would suggest assigning them to a free Romanian Corps and strategically placing it such that the rail lines you intend to repair fall within 5 hexes. If you find that you are not using all 4 Labor construction battalions every turn, that means they don't have enough rail hexes to reach from the HQ unit. You may need to split them up to another HQ so they do not go to waste.

Hope this helps....

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 10/12/2021 1:53:41 AM >

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 3
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/13/2021 12:02:24 AM   
laagamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Great_Ajax

The siege of Odessa was a bloodbath and it took some help from German troops to crack it and it held out until mid October despite repeated attempts to assault it. Odessa was also a major Soviet Black Sea Fleet base. The Rumanian Navy was not up to task to taking on the Soviet Navy. The Soviets still managed to evacuate over 350k civilians and soldiers out of Odessa by sea to Sevastopol before it fell. In short, Odessa is a tough nut to crack and the Hungarians aren't going to cut it.

Your forces aren't operating in a vacuum in this scenario. Panzergruppe Guderian on your left flank is chasing remnants of Soviets units into your battlespace. Thats why they are showing up in your rear. You should be getting Panzergruppe Guderian as reinforcements in that same area. Use them to help complete the encirclement around Kiev.

Rails and logistics are going to be tough. No way around it.

Trey

Thank you! I've done a considerable amount of reading on it, and appears the struggle for Odessa is indeed historically accurate! I found less information on Panzergruppe Guderain, but thank you also for the information!

Much appreciated!

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 4
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/13/2021 12:06:11 AM   
laagamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sauron_II

Not quite sure on your avenue of advance, not entirely certain what you are up against.

The following is what has worked for me...

1. The game is more about mastering logistics than anything else. With that in mind, prioritize the rail line you intend to convert and make sure that is clear. For maximum conversion rate, you need to plan this 1 turn in advance.

2. Next priority is encirclement and destruction of Soviet units. This is very important.

3. Try to keep your Panzer / Mot. Infantry together in close proximity. Very hard to do mass encirclements if your mobile forces are all scattered across the Ukraine.

4. Reassign the mobile Hungarian and Slovakian units to your German Motorized Infantry Korps. These units are quite good and very useful, if used in conjunction with German mobile formations.

5. Odessa can be taken, but it will require the bulk of the 11th Army for at least 2 turns. But once cleared, it frees up the 11th Army and bulk of Romanians for further advances.

6. I also xfer all of my big Mortar and Super Heavy Arty to 11th Army. This may not be critical, but I like to think it helps.

7. Once you have secured some of the Black Sea ports, you can then start using them for sources of supply. But you will need Constanta to be fully stocked. I usually set Constanta to Supply Level 3 and leave it at that. Then, i set the ports I want supplies shipped to Supply Level 4.

8. Around turn 12 or 16 (cannot remember...), the Romanian Rail Repair disbands. But you will get 4 Labor construction battalions in its place. I would suggest assigning them to a free Romanian Corps and strategically placing it such that the rail lines you intend to repair fall within 5 hexes. If you find that you are not using all 4 Labor construction battalions every turn, that means they don't have enough rail hexes to reach from the HQ unit. You may need to split them up to another HQ so they do not go to waste.

Hope this helps....

Thank you!

I'm definitely reading through the manual, trying to figure logistics out. I created a large pocket and crushed it, so I've got that right at least lol

In terms of attacking Odessa, since I can only stack 3 on a hex, with only 4 hexes around the city, what do I do? When I attack, I lose 12k to the enemies 2k. Just meat grinder until it falls?

Also, rails don't really matter in this scenario, do they? They don't repair fast enough?

< Message edited by laagamer -- 10/13/2021 12:12:45 AM >

(in reply to DeletedUser44)
Post #: 5
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/13/2021 1:04:25 AM   
Erik Rutins

In the full campaign, you have to cut off Odessa both by Land and Sea for a while to make it easy to take, or you need to fully devote the 11th Armee plus major airpower to it instead of just bypassing and encircling with the Romanians. The Flieger Fuhrer Ostsee moved down from the Baltic can really help with that in the campaign, but within this scenario it's a much tougher nut to crack without devoting a German Army and Luftflotte to the task. If the Soviets got enough units into the city fort, your best bet may be to encircle and bypass and seek your victory elsewhere.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis - 10/13/2021 5:10:22 PM   
Joel Billings

You need to repair the rail line running east to Dnepropetrovsk. Without it, you're units will have harder going. Rails always matter when moving forward.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tips for Destruction of the Southwestern Front - Axis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI