Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uxbridge Mod Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Uxbridge Mod Pacific Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/16/2021 2:37:59 PM   
Uxbridge

This is the set of modded graphics I currently use for WarPlan, in this case the Pacific version. They were made for my own benefit, but have reached such a developed state, that I feel confident to post them here as a proper mod. Either you like it or not. If it’s the latter, just remove the offending files from your campaign folder.
The five files changed, which can be used in combination or any set-up desired, are: Logistics, Resource, Terrain, Units and Weather.

Logistics:

This was the last file I corrected, and the one that I have been at odds with the longest. The original rail line was quite sufferable, but the convoy ships just looked odd and the roads scratched the map as inadvertent strokes with a watercolour brush. I do, however, sympathise fully with the work of the original graphics designer; the roads and rails are extremely difficult to get good. They live in a layer above the terrain features, and must by this be visible over a variety of changing background tones. At the same time, they need to be distinguishable and harmonize with the overall map layout. Not an easy task, I can asure you, and one that I will never claim to have mastered. What you get is my compromise. The convoys are mere dots–the magic ”Y” key will now light them up if covered in bad weather–and the land communications is made by a double light tone that, for most cases, can be easily spotted while it still blends into the map without causing annoyingly strong lines. Sometimes, in some regions, you will have to turn the units off and look carefully–the price to pay for a non-intrusive logistics design.

Resource:

Resources was one of the things I changed almost as soon as I got my hands on the game, even long before actually playing a campaign. Granted, the symbols for populated areas and resources are nicely made, very much so, but I had grave problems telling them apart, and also thought that they resembled something from a Civilization-type game rather than a hardcore war game. They had to go. The simple symbols I turned to are like those seen in GMT boardgames. Booring, but easily spotted.

Terrain:

I haven’t done much to the terrain, truly, it has been so minimal, and so gradual over time, that I can’t even remember. The foilage of woods and jungles have a higher saturation, I think, and the swamps have gone the other way. There may also be some increase in contrast on hills and montains, mainly on the Pacific map, but that should be all.

Units:

The units is something that I have changed gradually from the first time I played WarPlan some 18 months ago, up till now, with the sister game Pacific as it’s companion. Therefore, the alteration from the vanilla set-up, to the present look of the units, wasn’t as much a choice of design, rather a slow evolution in my mind as me and my PBEM-opponent spent the last year in daily competition. I have made a somewhat drastic change the last months, however. While making units for Pacific, I thought of doing something extra for the otherwise rather dull hidden-unit counters, adding a short descriptive note on them. The same was done for the garrison graphic. They were also blessed with the silhuette of a soldier. While adding nothing in particular as regards information, this minor change gave the units a certain detailed ”look” that surprised me. In fact, these units now had a more pleasant appearance than the more important frontline units. Capitalizing on this, I made the decision to add text to all units in the set-up, the result that is now included in this mod.

There is one additional change with the conters worthy of note: some of the majors air units have their basic counter colour blue instead of the normal national colour. This is to better tell them from ground units on crowded fronts. I know this won’t be to everyone’s taste, as clarity in one field sometimes leads to confusion in another. But this is how I prefer it best myself, and if you’re likewise minded, you probably like them.

Lastly, I made a radical change in the colour codes of the air units too. Earlier they were red, green, blue and some last, rearranging colour for strategic bomb units. This has now changed to: Blue=fighter, Green=support, Grey=level bomber and No-background=strategic bomber. Main reason for the change is that it’s so hard to get the red colour right. Either it screams like someone drowning, being to bright, or blend inte text and lines on the counter if made too dark. The removal lessened the number of colours to use, but I feel it did the appearance of the mod a favor.

Weather:

Weather graphics is difficult to get good. Informatively, the vanilla symbols does the job. I always want something extra. When the rainy season starts, I like to feel the want of an umbrella, and when winter comes, it should race across the map as the breath of the Grim Reaper. If you use my weather graphics, expect weather, not a soft drizzle or something from a Christmas carrol. It covers everything, and at times you may sense the need to turn it off, cause the brain can be confused by the weather patterns, making reading the units difficult even thought these are located above the thunderstorms and blizzards. Or use the vanilla version.

The graphics for Pacific can be located here. It’s a link to dropbox and the files there will always be the most updated ones:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qyybstj266z5g4v/AAAufv7gplCi7W37K7xjrM4la?dl=0

The graphics for Europe, and a copy of the text above, is located at the Europe forum:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5037309&mpage=1&key=�

To use the graphics, merely place the files in the campaign folder of the scenario being played.

Not to confuse anyone, I decided to make one post on each forum. By this I will also reach users that may only own one version of the WarPlan game. Any comments on the mod, as regards something particular to either WP Europe or WP Pacific, better be placed in the proper forum, lest I may be confused which one is refered to.

Hope you like the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 6/16/2021 2:45:30 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/16/2021 2:43:09 PM   
Uxbridge

The Burma front:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/16/2021 2:44:05 PM   
Uxbridge

The struggle in China:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 3
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/17/2021 11:49:58 AM   
Magpius

Good job here Uxbridge.
Fully agree with your assessment over the dilemmas regarding graphic selection and image balance.
(I think CEAW is a game worthy of review for the graphic styling for the resources.png)
I combined your downloads with my tiles and sea hex graphics, and the results were good.
Thanks for the hard work.
(I know how long it can take).

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 4
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/17/2021 5:40:00 PM   
Uxbridge

Had to check what CEAW was, but seeing some screenshots I remember. Think it was released at a time when there wasn't that many full European WWII games around, only games concentrating on certain campaigns. If I'm not totally mistaken, I was muddling with that game's graphics too.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 5
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/29/2021 3:11:59 PM   
andreasf

Sorry but I have a bit of a strange question. I can not manage to install any mod.
As described above, I copied the png files into the appropriate Campaigns directory but when I start the campaign, I always have the default graphics.

Then I noticed that my warplan pacific folder is located at C:\Users\gaming\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\WarPlan Pacific\Campaigns\Pacific 1941.
note the **OneDrive** ...

Can someone maybe tell me where exactly I need to copy the files? Thanks in advance!

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 6
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/30/2021 5:39:41 AM   
Uxbridge

What you are saying seems to tell that the scenarios are not on your hard drive, but out in OneDrive on the internet. This may be the reason why you can't use the mod files, but if so, I can't tell why you can use the scenarios at all. You do have the mod files in the actual scenario folder, not in the general scenarios folder? They must be in the last folder you can reach.

(in reply to andreasf)
Post #: 7
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/30/2021 7:22:29 AM   
ReneTS

I really like this mod. I do hope you will change the airplanes counters to the previous one with the stripe. It looked really good

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 8
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 6/30/2021 7:40:43 AM   
Uxbridge

We'll see. The problem was that the lesser area taken up by the stripe made it often blend into the colour of the counter. That and the problem with red with this low resolution makes cramming everything into such a restricted space difficult. But I will never really be satisfied, so new changes is to be expected.

(in reply to ReneTS)
Post #: 9
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 7/7/2021 4:14:42 PM   
Uxbridge

As with the European graphics, the Pacific has now been updated with new Oil and Resource symbols.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 10
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 7/7/2021 5:47:59 PM   
Antiope1983

thanks a lot, Sir. Your mod is so good that it should be implemented in the original game as an option .

< Message edited by Antiope1983 -- 7/7/2021 5:52:06 PM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 11
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 7/7/2021 5:57:41 PM   
Uxbridge

You're welcome. It has now reached a level where I'm beginning to feel quite satisfied myself.

(in reply to Antiope1983)
Post #: 12
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 7/7/2021 9:34:41 PM   
Magpius

Nice work Uxbridge, I had similar for my Euro mod, but actually prefer your previous set as it feels more map-like.
You mentioned you added in additional placenames on your map, are they erased when a new scenario update is released?

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 13
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 7/7/2021 10:03:52 PM   
Uxbridge

I have those in a scenario of my own, and don't think they will be erased, but they would in the original vanilla. If you haven't done it already, you can see them in my Europe thread.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 14
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 8/31/2021 3:58:12 AM   
Tanaka

Love the mod looks much better. Although I prefer the city graphics over dots. Any chance of a city graphic version?

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 15
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 8/31/2021 6:04:30 AM   
Uxbridge

Regrettably, the way I alter the graphics, I have to completely remove the old file once I'm done with the new layer, lest the two would blend into each other. There are, of course, ways around that, but would take many hours of work, maybe even days since I'm not that good with the application I use. You could try removing only the Resource file from the folder. That will see a return of the cities and other resource items, but retain the terrain and unit graphics.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 16
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 8/31/2021 6:14:51 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

Regrettably, the way I alter the graphics, I have to completely remove the old file once I'm done with the new layer, lest the two would blend into each other. There are, of course, ways around that, but would take many hours of work, maybe even days since I'm not that good with the application I use. You could try removing only the Resource file from the folder. That will see a return of the cities and other resource items, but retain the terrain and unit graphics.

Yes that is what I ended up doing is removing it. I also wanted to use your logistics but I really like the look of the railroads in this game over WarPlan. But I am using your weather and terrain files. Very nice. I even ported your weather and terrain back to WarPlan and it looks so much better! Posted about it on the forum. Maybe you can answer my question there? Thanks for considering though!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/31/2021 6:15:29 AM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 17
RE: Uxbridge Mod Pacific - 8/31/2021 7:48:13 AM   
Uxbridge

Done.

Using my Pacific graphics in Europe was interesting. Must try that myself.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 18
(sorry, a little off-topic) - 8/31/2021 11:35:06 AM   
Magpius

The terrain and logistics image files transfer quite well back into Warplan E.
I've been mixing and matching quite a few of the .png's.
Happily now, just sitting back and playing.
I even tried making an ULTRA retro map board Circa 1977 A.H. D.Day, but takes MUCH getting used to it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Magpius -- 8/31/2021 11:55:23 AM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 19
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 8/31/2021 12:13:23 PM   
Uxbridge

Looks really vintage, magpius; from a period even before I started playing.

We're going in the opposite direction. The games we play now have a lot of added placenames and small cities to enhance the feeling of detail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 20
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 8/31/2021 12:14:55 PM   
Uxbridge

Same in Asia, new cities and even rice fields.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 21
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 9/1/2021 7:49:28 AM   
Magpius

Nice work. Fully agree additional place names makes each hex/ region worth fighting for. Also noticed many of the Chinese place names need changing. Beijing only been named Peking by Westerners etc.
I started adding inland rivers onto the Australian Map, but was unable to see how to change the text formatting.
Maybe the Warplan E, Polder terrain could be tweaked for rice paddies. (Although it looks like you are using bocage)-cool.

< Message edited by Magpius -- 9/1/2021 7:51:27 AM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 22
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 9/1/2021 10:26:06 AM   
Uxbridge

Right, I wavered a bit between polder and bocage, but this choice gave a more saturated effect on the map. Game-wise the rice paddies are still plains, not bocage; I simply cloned the latter image to an empty plain space on the terrain PNG. I suspect, consulting a number of different maps, that jungle terrain and rice paddies have the same effects, shown on-map both as jungle. Otherwise vast areas that now is jungle would be the other. I let the added terrain follow open hexes along rivers, not to mess up any game balance by omitting jungle.

I really had problems with the Chinese names. To me they all spell the same, and there's a confusing mixture of old and new, Chinese and Western way of spelling. In the end I just took the first spelling I could find.

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 9/1/2021 10:30:30 AM >

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 23
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/10/2021 4:27:35 PM   
*Lava*

Very nice!

Just plopped them into my game. Quite a change!

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 24
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/10/2021 5:15:56 PM   
ncc1701e

Nice work indeed!

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 25
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/11/2021 8:08:33 PM   
Uxbridge

Glad you like them.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 26
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/12/2021 1:44:41 PM   
Meteor2

I would like to use the mod, but the ship pictures are missing in the game (???).
The units-file, which I downloaded from the dropbox is not containing any ship pictures? Correct?

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 27
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/13/2021 9:07:29 AM   
Uxbridge

Checked them and they seem ok. Are you sure you're using the Pacific counters and not those made for Europe? If the latter is the case, there will be problems with some naval units, since Pacific has more counters than Europe.

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 28
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/15/2021 11:49:18 PM   
lion_of_judah

were can one get this mod that has Czechoslovakia? Thanks

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 29
RE: (sorry, a little off-topic) - 10/16/2021 5:11:04 AM   
Uxbridge

Peace in our Time is a version that isn't posted anywhere and can be played only PBEM with a number of house rules not written down. The scenario is a result of a long period of playing between my opponent and me. I displayed it only to show the look of a map with a lot of added names on it. If you have someone to play against, I can always give you a link.

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Uxbridge Mod Pacific Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI