Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[RESOLVED] Error Message

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [RESOLVED] Error Message Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[RESOLVED] Error Message - 10/9/2021 6:20:17 PM   
FifthDomain

Hi

I tried to load my scenario and it generated an Error which asked me to report to the dev team for investigation.

ERROR - Unable to load scenario! Please copy this entire text and submit it to the dev team for investigation. Exception: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command - Modern Operations\Scenarios\Defence of the Relm v4.scen' because it is being used by another process. Exception source: mscorlib Stack Trace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode) at Command_Core.ScenContainer.(String ) at Command.LoadScenario.(String , String )

Thanks

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 10/15/2021 2:37:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 7:43:16 PM   
Dimitris

Hi,

It sounds like another process (likely another instance of Command) has a lock on that file.

Can you try to bring up Task Manager, go to the tab "Details" and kill all instances of the process "Command.exe"? Then try again.

Thanks.

(in reply to FifthDomain)
Post #: 2
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 8:59:08 PM   
FifthDomain

Hi Dimitris

I was trying to reload the scenario I was currently testing when I got this message.

It worked fine after I closed command down then opened it back up I just posted because it asked me to report it.

On a side note is there anyway I can get the game to utilise more threads on my computer its only using 4 threads and I have 32 available, I want to run scenarios with 50,000+ units but I keep getting system out of memory messages and I have no memory shortages my end. If it will help I can upload what ever info you might require next time it happens (turning auto save off helped this a bit).

Thanks for your time, Sam

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 9:15:00 PM   
michaelm75au

The message log can grow somewhat and this takes up memory.
Players say that clearing the log every so often (esp when logging lots of messages), can help with the OOM.

Michael

Post #: 4
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 9:37:21 PM   
FifthDomain

Cheers Michaelm I'll look at that next time I hadn't even looked at message log because I was just testing to see how much CPU usage it was doing (less than 10%), the memory shortage is not on my computer though.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 10:11:50 PM   
Dimitris

50K AUs? Are you a pro user per chance?

Post #: 6
RE: Error Message - 10/9/2021 11:12:57 PM   
FifthDomain

I wish I had access to the pro version and database editing its hard work implementing delta templates to Hundreds of units. I've spent months creating delta templates effectively Modernising Naval and Air Unit to do what I want (Mostly Adding the most up-to-date Radar and Weapons Systems).

What I intend to do when I finally get all the editing and renaming done on all the units is too run the game in editor and I will be both the Player and the AI and conduct operations around the world from the UK against all UK interests, mostly a lot of recon, intel gathering, QRA and FON ops, but I'm sure some actual fighting will happen as well. I have no idea if it'll work in the end but those are my intentions.

I'll include an upload if anyone is interested in looking at its current status (32,000 units) I think so far but no deltas added yet. Where possible I've used import files from the forum and lifted components from other scenarios.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 1:42:09 AM   
KnightHawk75

"but I keep getting system out of memory messages ..."
You will start hitting limits in CMO around ~3.2gig, game is a 32 bit process, and .net x32 has its own limitations and overhead that reduce it down to around that level from 4gb. Your attached loads up at about 1.8g, and runs @~2.3g in the first 15sec with nothing going on any customization/templates applied, nothing moving or flying etc. See if around the time you get these error you're hitting that mark. I'd be surprised if will actually run without oom issue at 32k au depending on what the makeup and activity them are. You might need pro or headless-pro for your 50k project, but the devs can direct you better on that.

Post #: 8
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 3:14:06 AM   
FifthDomain

Thanks for your explanation KnightHawk I didn't know it had such limitations, do you know if its possible to buy pro or if the student version will have the same problem? I currently have the steam version.

If I turn grouping off there is a little zoom lag but nothing serious.

I guess for now I'll just build it and hope it goes 64 bit sometime soon or I can find a way to purchase the pro version.

I have just read as of 2020 Microsoft stopped offering 32 bit Windows to computer manufactures so they have effectively killed 32 bit on new computers and given its limitations I'm not surprised by that. Hopefully 64 bit CMO is not to far away.

I did run a test of this version with about 40 satellites added for an hour on 5x speed and it didn't stop working but certain satellites did crash it, I think they were earlier US SIGINT ones that made it run out of memory. Autosave defiantly didn't help that crashed it straight away.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 9
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 10:56:26 AM   
thewood1

I would think common sense would also come into play here. There is a limit somewhere for anything. 50,000 units just seems absolutely crazy and unplayable. 50,000 units is probably more than involved in any global conflict. Why don't you just split into smaller pieces?

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

Post #: 10
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 5:35:30 PM   
FifthDomain

Here's a thought instead of bashing on me for thinking big or not using common sense as you put it, you just don't comment on my posts unless your going to add something constructive.

From Mega-FAQ Section:

Is there an upper limit to the number of units I can have in a scenario?

The number of units that the simulator engine can handle is almost unlimited (a few billions), however the core calcs aren’t cheating as much as in earlier games and/or simulators so the more stuff you add the more calcs need to be done. Performance is also affected by units plotting complex nav paths, a lot of long-range sensors, lots of jammers, etc, etc.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 6:36:26 PM   
thewood1

I'm not bashing you, but having a 50,000 unit scenario would make me pause a little when pointing out an error message. I think you've found the upper limit.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

Post #: 12
RE: Error Message - 10/10/2021 7:51:36 PM   
FifthDomain

If you read the error message it specifically told me to post it for the developers so that's what I did.

Again from the Mega FAQ from https://command.matrixgames.com/

Is there an upper limit to the number of units I can have in a scenario?

The number of units that the simulator engine can handle is almost unlimited (a few billions), however the core calcs aren’t cheating as much as in earlier games and/or simulators so the more stuff you add the more calcs need to be done. Performance is also affected by units plotting complex nav paths, a lot of long-range sensors, lots of jammers, etc, etc.

There are no upper limits according to that and I'm running it on a Ryzen 9 5950x 16 Cores 32 Threads processor that will ramp up to 4.9GHz so I didn't see 50,000 as that much of a problem.

I guess the limitations of 32 bit are my main stumbling block but I was not aware of them until KnightHawk75 explained them.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: Error Message - 10/12/2021 8:38:48 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks for sharing. An interesting benchmark reference.

Post #: 14
RE: Error Message - 10/20/2021 10:42:14 PM   
FifthDomain

Hi Dimitris

I'm still getting the reload problem (Reloading a big scenario in editor) the error message now says - Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.

I think its related to the size of the scenario which is currently 31,000 AU. Game runs fine just trying to reload after testing causes it. No problems with normal sized scenarios.

If I exit the game to desk top and then open it again it has no problems opening then.

I've put the latest scenario version in the upload to replicate open in editor run for 1-2 mins then back to start menu and try reload the scenario again.

Using latest beta version V1.03 1147.32

As always thanks for your time if you need any more info please let me know.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 15
RE: Error Message - 10/21/2021 2:48:03 AM   
gennyo

Once upon a time I brought CMANO/CMO to a screeching crawl by about 8k+ AU.
Now it can runs somewhat with about 5x of AUs.
This One, is progress.

< Message edited by gennyo -- 10/21/2021 2:56:33 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Error Message - 10/21/2021 2:53:06 AM   
gennyo

The "Padding" error is related with file size per personal experience.
The pratical maximum loadable scenario file size is about 64M. (just round up to a round number, may be bigger or smaller)
Above that it could be unloadabale, especially anything beyond 72M.

A small trick is click the huge file, wait for the CPU to settle down, and press Load.

Post #: 17
RE: Error Message - 10/21/2021 3:23:25 PM   
FifthDomain

Its only has an issue on reloading it loads fine first time round and no real issues at 31,000. I tested it for 4 hours recently on Flame speed (34,000 AU) while adding 56 satellites and launching 220 planes, 20 subs and 20 ship at the same time just to stress it a little and it ran ok a little lag on zooming in and out but nothing serious far more than I actually intend to use at anyone time. most of my units are facilities and I do currently have 4 entire countries loaded in. Where possible I'm trying to bring numbers down but I like detail and its not having any problems running so I'm cool with the big numbers.

(in reply to gennyo)
Post #: 18
RE: Error Message - 10/21/2021 3:36:26 PM   
morphin

I think the problem is often the limits of the programming variables used (in a 32BIT Software as this is). Best would be to migrate to 64BIT and use proper variables types

Post #: 19
RE: Error Message - 11/3/2021 12:21:04 AM   
KnightHawk75

Yes there are practical limits with size of strings and what's going on. keep in mind your save files are compressed (massively) and encrypted, in many cases ie that 64mb .scen probably is really a several hundred megabyte xml file once uncompressed before then being read back in and converted to game objects when 'loaded/processed' and for awhile both are going to exist.

However "Padding is invalid and cannot be removed."
---
That's something going wrong during the decryption process it sounds like (likely a by product of some other problem hmm), wonder if something went wrong during the save process and the whole thing didn't save correctly? (I'll have to check the file you attached).

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [RESOLVED] Error Message Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI