Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargaming and little pills...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargaming and little pills... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargaming and little pills... - 10/13/2021 3:45:10 PM   
RFalvo69

FROM "THE GENERAL", VOL. 2 N. 2 - JULY 1965

D-Day Used in Medical Research

By Capt. Charles Wickstrom

D-DAY has been used in the Medical Laboratories at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland, in psychological studies,
some involving the use of drugs, by the psychopharmacology group there. Between March and August of last year, 59 D-DAY games with 81 invasions were conducted under controlled conditions, involving subjects from various parts of the United States with an average age of just over 24 years. During the games both method and manner of play were carefully observed.

Games Recorded on Tape

Full video tape and sound coverage (3 TV cameras lit 2 sound tracks) enables complete replay of entire D-DAY
games whenever desirable for study of the players' moves and reactions to game situations, die rolls, and other events. An overhead camera zoomed in for close-ups of soak-off attacks and
other combat details.

In the most commonly used version, there were two Allied players and two Germans in each game. The games were conducted duplicate fashion like a team-of-four bridge match. That is, an identical starting situation is set up on two boards in different rooms (actually, the "starting" situation could be
middle or end game). One half of a team is the Allies in one room, while the other half of the same team is the Germans in the other room. The winning team is then determined by comparing the situations on the two boards at some later time. If you have three friends who also play D-DAY you might find this an interesting way to conduct your own match, with one Allied player and one German on each team (rather than two of each as here).

Game outcomes, when games were not carried to completion, were adjudicated On a "10 pt must" system. A game that goes to completion under this scoring system is scored 10 to 0. Analysis of 47 games with 69 invasions in which drugs were not administered to any of the participants reveals that scores averaged slightly over 2 to 1 in favor of the Allies (totals 316-154). That is, simply being on the Allied side gives a player, on the average, twice as good a chance of winning as a player on the German side.

Of course, the game balance may change somewhat with the skill level of the players. Results indicate that (1) a group of men who have never seen the game D-DAY before can learn to play D-DAY capably within the time period allotted, and (2) that the drugs used affected the way the men approached the game at least as much as in the actual moves they made. They became easily distracted, unconcerned, and in some cases euphoric, and forgetful, for example forgetting to move some units while moving others twice. Their overall strategy appeared to be the same, but they became lax in some details.

Games in which drugs were administered to one side hurt the Allies more when a tough invasion was required
(e. g. Pas de Calais or North Sea), but hurt the Germans more when they had a lot of regrouping to do following a southern area Allied landing. The results would thus seem to indicate that the difficulty in concentrating caused by the drug affected play mainly in cases where elaborate planning was
required. We would expect a larger dose of drug to cause breakdown of simpler planning procedures, such as conduct of an isolated attack or an unobstructed advance toward the objective.

The game of chess is also being used in similar studies. Other Avalon Hill games purchased in connection with this research program include Afrika Corps and Tactics II.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 1
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/13/2021 3:57:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

In my personal experience, 1-2 beers improves my wargaming, beyond that not so much. :-)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/19/2021 7:08:38 AM   
BBfanboy

I find that simply staying up a little longer when my brain is telling me to go to bed results in inability to focus well and many errors in the clickfest of a WITP-AE turn! More than once I have dispatched empty supply convoys because I set the convoy destination without telling it to load something! This research required 11 years of (nearly) daily play!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/19/2021 8:07:32 AM   
zakblood

nothing improves my ability to win, i'm just useless and far to cautious but enjoy it all the same, no matter what battle or period i play, day or night makes no difference to me, there not counters, there my men, my troops and i'm there commander, winning isn't as important as keeping more of them alive in my book, so yes i loose a lot and still they die, so haven't learnt my lesson yet that people die in wars no matter how much brain power and thought you put into it or how many times you try and retry the same given battle with different approaches, sometimes it's life and you have to live with it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/19/2021 12:45:09 PM   
RFalvo69

I'm more like Erik: a couple of beers help me focus. My only explanation is that normally I'm a bit fearful and cautious so the beers relax my fears and make me boldest in the right way. Drinking a couple of beers also helps me when I'm the GM of a tabletop role-playing game.

Regarding the time of the day, I know since I was a kid that I'm a night guy. I'm always alert and awake in the evening/early night and sleepy in the morning. A neuropsychiatrist friend of mine once told me that each one of us has a "gene-clock". Basically, some of us have normal sleep cycles, others are very alert already in the early morning and go to sleep in the evening (my father woke up at 5AM and went to sleep at 10PM) and some are like me. According to my friend there is nothing we can do to change this: we are literally biologically programmed to be one of the three types and no attempt to change our sleep habits will ever work. Mine is a bit of a disgrace, since we are socially pimped to admire the "early risers" and to look down to those like me - but trying to go against our gene clock means to live when your body and mental functions are at the lowest and can even cause dangerous sleep disorders, so society can suck wind.

Regarding drugs, I never tried them, not even a bit of weed. This is not out of zealous fervor or such: I simply never felt the need to try. Same with smoking: I do not smoke. I even tried, but I never finished even the first cigarette. Again, this is simply the way I am: I don't have any merit in this.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/24/2021 2:01:24 AM   
rommel222

Greetings RFalvo69,
red wine: Pinot Noir, Malbec & Merlot red wine are my fortification for wargaming (2 to 3 glasses.
As Hercule Poirot said it stimulates the little gray cells.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 6
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/24/2021 3:09:55 AM   
Curtis Lemay

I remember an article about the simulating the battle of Chancelorsville. It recommended having the Confederate player bash the Union player over the head with a club - simulating what actually happened to Hooker during the battle.

But, other than that case, I prefer to keep my wits about me while gaming.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 7
RE: Wargaming and little pills... - 10/24/2021 3:33:56 AM   
DeepBlack

A favorite war "drug" story concerns
the Union general Grant. Someone
expressed the fear to President Lincoln
that Grant was a drunk.

Lincoln Replied, "Tell me what kind of
whiskey he drinks so I can send it
to all my generals".

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargaming and little pills... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI