Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How can I get better at ASW operations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> How can I get better at ASW operations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 11:40:05 AM   
fatgreta1066

Are there any tutorials or advice out there? I really don't like the sub / ASW part of the game very much, so I skip scenarios that revolve heavily around that type of operation. I'm not criticizing it, that part of the game just isn't my cup of tea. But of course, many fun scenarios include them. So when I'm managing surface units agaist sub attacks, I set up ASW patrols with all available AC, modeled as I've seen other players do in play through videos. Still, it seems to me that once I do that I'm at the mercy of the simulation. They'll find the enemy subs or they won't. I'm wondering if there are tips or tricks to be better at that type of combat (or cheat codes to auto-kill enemy subs ;-)?

Thanks,

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 4:22:46 PM   
Sardaukar

ASW is very much all about patience.

Submarines are very difficult to detect. Start with Tutorials -> Other tutorials -> Anti-submarine ASW Tutorial.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 2
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 4:58:10 PM   
thewood1

One thing to keep in mind is there is no one answer. Tactics can depend on local weather, depth, number of ships in area, type of sensor, land proximity, etc. You have to have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. All the above parameters can change with one lost helicopter, travel, and other random events. I have always found a layered defense works best, but each layer is going to have to adjust to the above.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 7:52:16 PM   
maverick3320

Well if you're trying to get better at something, I would think the first thing you would do is...start doing it?

I mean, it's like saying you want to learn to run but you actively avoid running.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 9:48:46 PM   
Rondor11

My favorite tactic is to use Shift-Right Click to get the define area options and choose circle. Then you can set a range for your helio assets to work within. There are all kinds of ways to customize the circle to better concentrate your focus depending the the tactical situation.

You can have the ref points attached to your group was well so they move along with it as it gets into position.

Good Luck!

Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 5
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 10:33:43 PM   
cdnice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rondor11

My favorite tactic is to use Shift-Right Click to get the define area options and choose circle. Then you can set a range for your helo assets to work within. There are all kinds of ways to customize the circle to better concentrate your focus depending the the tactical situation.

You can have the ref points attached to your group was well so they move along with it as it gets into position.

Good Luck!

/\
/ \
/ \

This!! Game changer if you did not already know how to do this. Once I learned this scenarios became much more manageable and enjoyable. Doing one off's all the time time for larger ASW scenarios can get very confusing.

(in reply to Rondor11)
Post #: 6
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/26/2021 10:57:56 PM   
kevinkins

All good advice above. Another tip is to create a tiny (I mean tiny) one on one sub vs destroyer scenario and just find and kill the sub. It's a slow process even on a tiny scale. But rewarding. You can set up the enemy sub's patrol so you don't exactly know where it is and have to find it. But place the surface ship and sub close enough that scenario is done in an hour or two.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Rondor11)
Post #: 7
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/27/2021 7:12:01 PM   
BobTank63

HLE Steam guide has a list of recommended scenarios that help one learn various game aspects. I'd try looking at the ASW section and playing a few of the scenarios there.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 8
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/27/2021 7:16:13 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobTank63

HLE Steam guide has a list of recommended scenarios that help one learn various game aspects. I'd try looking at the ASW section and playing a few of the scenarios there.

Thanks for the shoutout!

As for ASW in general, so much depends on the situation and what assets you have available. The best general way to go about it is to understand what capabilities your assets have, and try to maximize sonar coverage to the best of your ability.

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 9
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/30/2021 6:47:47 PM   
fatgreta1066

Thanks to all of you who offered actual advice, I appreciate it.

Chris

Post #: 10
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/30/2021 6:56:03 PM   
BeirutDude

One thing I di, and we did in the Cold War is take control of the aircraft and fly real patterns.

For example (and an obvious on) a "Barrier Pattern" of alternating Deep/Shallow, string Sonobouys overlapping in a Chokepoint or in front of a sub's anticipated position.

When you've acquired a sub then drop a Hexagonal pattern near and around the sub, again overlapping shallow and deeps strings.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

Post #: 11
RE: How can I get better at ASW operations? - 10/31/2021 2:24:59 PM   
fatgreta1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobTank63

Wow, lots of great info in Steam, I'm glad I finally activated my Steam keys for games. Thanks for the mention.

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> How can I get better at ASW operations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI