Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/23/2021 9:14:45 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I'm playing Brass Drum (fantastic scenario so far ! Definitely my #1)

On the America I have 12* MV-22B Ospreys loaded with Marines 24x.
When I click on 'unload cargo', nothing (or rather nobody) seems to be loaded on board of these aircrafts.

How am I supposed to use them ?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/23/2021 10:09:59 AM   
TempestII

By the looks of it, the LHA 6 contains no cargo so I therefore assume the scenario designer didn't actually want the player to load up ground forces onto the helos. It's been a while since I played the scenario so I don't know if there's a scripted cargo deployment; ie, where you fly your transports to a designated area and they auto-deploy pre-assigned units (such as the case in some of the Northern Fury battles).
I've only been playing CMO for 18 months but I'm aware that older versions didn't have the option to utilise cargo like you're trying to do so scripted deployments were the only way to simulate invasions.

If the LHA did contain cargo - infantry, mortars, MANPADs etc, you load them via the following feature:
Screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17wcOyGhSWHO5yVEJHgamUVuQMCt9Q20G/view?usp=sharing

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/23/2021 3:09:27 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

I don't know if there's a scripted cargo deployment; ie, where you fly your transports to a designated area and they auto-deploy pre-assigned units

Yep. But how will I know if this is the case ? I also checked the special actions nbut nothing apart from rescuing downed pilots. So far my Ospreys stay on board the America, useless ...

(in reply to TempestII)
Post #: 3
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 3:59:54 AM   
stww2

If a scenario wants you to land ground units somewhere, that will almost always be made very clear in the briefing. In Brass Drum, the Ospreys are likely there primarily to simulate occupied deck space (and be casualties if you manage to get the LHA damaged or sunk). When I played this scenario, I found two uses for them:

1) CSAR: the Ospreys (when equipped with a Ferry loadout) have a longer range and loiter time than the dedicated CSAR helicopters on the carrier, making them useful if you want to keep assets airborne and on standby to rescue any downed pilots. Given the technological disparity between the two sides it would probably be quite a feat to actually lose any manned aircraft, but better safe than sorry...

2) Recon: There are a plethora of vessels in the vicinity of the US LHA and CVN groups at the start. One would assume most of (or perhaps all) of the vessels are neutral, but, again, better safe than sorry. The Ospreys are perfect for getting visual IDs on all of these craft, thus leaving the more hazardous recon activities for more specialized units.

For both of these missions I would set the Osprey to ferry loadouts, as their marine loadouts are essentially just deadweight.

< Message edited by stww2 -- 10/24/2021 4:01:42 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 2:11:27 PM   
BDukes

Hi guys on this one

1) This scenario was created for CMANO and updated to CMO so it predates cargo for the most part.
2) The orders didn't (and don't) include amphibious operations so the original designer and/or updater didn't want it. See a copy of the orders from the scenario below.

So, there isn't much doing here other than you just want it to do something it doesn't. Good news is the game comes with an editor. You can update any scenario with whatever you'd like or just put a tech ticket in asking for a feature change.

quote:

Execution
Zumwalt SAG is to transit the Straits of Hormuz and arrive in the area designated OBJ within 24 hours.
America ARG and Ford CVBG are to assist with (1) by rapidly attritting Iranian military capabilites in the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz areas. In particular:
Neutralizing air fields, naval units, land-based anti-ship missile batteries and other high-order threats.
Striking the southern region Air Defence HQ north-west of Jask
Striking the Naval Operations HQ near Bandar Abbas
Reduce the Iranian IADS in the region. In particular:
SA-20, SA-10 SAM sites and long-range EW radar sites.
Fighter aircraft
Clear naval mines sufficient to allow (1) and form basis for re-establishing safe navigation of the Strait of Hormuz.

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 5
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 5:27:22 PM   
nukkxx5058

In my version of Bass Drum, it's not the Ford but the Bush ... ?!

So the Opreys with their default marines loadout are useless. In this case I will re-arm them with ferry loadouts and try to use them as recon items. Don't wand to lose 24 marines in case one is downed ...

Thanks anyway.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 6:39:42 PM   
thewood1

The Bush is a Ford Class CVN.

edit...nevermind. Its the last of the Nimitz class.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 10/24/2021 6:42:54 PM >

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 7
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 10:51:31 PM   
nukkxx5058

So does it mean there are several versions of Op Brass Drum ? I'm sure I just took the one in the official standalone scenarios pack ...
So why do I have the Bush and not the Ford ?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 10:58:48 PM   
OldSarge

It looks like the side briefing in the scenario was just typed incorrectly. I assume the scenario author originally wanted to use the Ford, but it wasn't ready for the 2017 time frame used by the scenario.

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 10/24/2021 10:59:39 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 11:03:40 PM   
thewood1

Op Brass Drum was an original scenario with CMNAO, as mentioned. It got a major overhaul when CMO was released. I think the original had the Ford and the CMO version subbed in the Bush. The briefing never got changed is what I suspect.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/24/2021 11:09:24 PM   
OldSarge

Yep, just loaded up my old CMANO copy on WIN7 and there she is!!

Attachment (1)

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/25/2021 7:30:53 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

Op Brass Drum was an original scenario with CMNAO, as mentioned. It got a major overhaul when CMO was released. I think the original had the Ford and the CMO version subbed in the Bush. The briefing never got changed is what I suspect.

Nope, the briefing is correct and mentions the Bush. I was just surprised that everybody was referring to the Ford instead.

quote:

Friendly Forces
Due to other current operations, it will be at least 48 hours before additional forces can be expected to arrive. This is the combat operational debut of the F-35B - it would be very unfortunate to lose any of these aircraft to hostile action - but their capabilities should prove useful. TLAMs are available though a number of those onboard ship have been sequestered for later use.

Surface
Bush CSG
CVN 77 George Bush [CVN 77 George Bush [Nimitz Class]]
CG 56 San Jacinto [CG 56 San Jacinto [Ticonderoga Baseline 3, VLS]]
DDG 76 Higgens [DDG 72 Mahan [Arleigh Burke Flight II]]
DDG 92 Momsen [DDG 91 Pinckney [Arleigh Burke Flight IIA]]
T-AOE 8 Arctic [AOE 6 Supply]

It's just in the "Execution" paragraph that the Ford is mentioned. I even didn't noticed it before ...
quote:

Execution
Zumwalt SAG is to transit the Straits of Hormuz and arrive in the area designated OBJ within 24 hours.
America ARG and Ford CVBG are to assist with (1) by rapidly attritting Iranian military capabilites in the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz areas. In particular:
Neutralizing air fields, naval units, land-based anti-ship missile batteries and other high-order threats.
Striking the southern region Air Defence HQ north-west of Jask
Striking the Naval Operations HQ near Bandar Abbas
Reduce the Iranian IADS in the region. In particular:
SA-20, SA-10 SAM sites and long-range EW radar sites.
Fighter aircraft
Clear naval mines sufficient to allow (1) and form basis for re-establishing safe navigation of the Strait of Hormuz.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/26/2021 8:58:00 PM   
Primarchx

Yeah, I wrote that scenario a long time ago and used the Ford. Not sure how the Bush got subbed in but there have been lots of changes to CMO since those early days. This is years before the cargo system or Lua showed up. It's great to hear people are still digging it, though!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/27/2021 6:31:03 PM   
BobTank63

It's interesting that the Ford was replaced with the Bush for realism purposes with the update to CMO, but the Zumwalt was left in with guns that actually had ammo.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 14
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/27/2021 9:01:05 PM   
Primarchx

Could of been that the Ford was still not in service the year of the scenario. That's been a hard luck ship.

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 15
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/27/2021 10:22:24 PM   
BobTank63

Yes, but neither was the ammo on the Zumwalt

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 16
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/27/2021 11:32:38 PM   
Twistedpretzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobTank63

Yes, but neither was the ammo on the Zumwalt

*is

(in reply to BobTank63)
Post #: 17
RE: Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout - 10/28/2021 8:01:45 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Yeah, I wrote that scenario a long time ago and used the Ford. Not sure how the Bush got subbed in but there have been lots of changes to CMO since those early days. This is years before the cargo system or Lua showed up. It's great to hear people are still digging it, though!

It's a great scenario ! Had a lot of fun playing it :-) Definitely in my top 3 so far.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Brass Drum - Ospreys with Marines 24x loadout Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI