Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITE2, GREAT Game!!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 2:02:46 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I have invested a great amount of time in games throughout my life. But WITE1 & WITE2 I have sunk the most time in by a great amount. Steam time alone is close 15,000 hours over two accounts now but I had even more time before steam was released than that. Sad isn't it? If I had to calculate the time to money spent on these two titles for the amount of enjoyable game play I have had it would be by FAR the greatest investment I have ever had. I have argued with my wife, refused to pick up pizza, not taken out trash, played sick, told fibs to play, forgot to pick up the kids from school, took off from work, go to Starbucks to play and numerous other oddities so I could sink more time in WITE & WITE2 so the wife wouldn't see me playing. I would not trade that time for anything nor the game.

So, I just wanted to say, "Thank you" to all involved in bringing these games to us. I know the game is a "Labor of Love" of what the Europa series was trying to do & I see that happening here with WITE2 to War in Europe rumors. I LOVE the game and the dedication that has brought this into being.

Thank you much for everything!!!

****Changed title to keep point of thread to not lose the message.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 10/27/2021 4:40:49 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 2:06:42 AM   
MarkShot

A serious question for you.

You must know the game pretty well.

Is it still a challenge?

How do you get a challenge? Don't the maps become bit known?

Are you just playing to beat your best score?

Thanks.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 2
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 2:13:53 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Is it still a challenge?

Thanks.

I only play H2H where I feel the true challenge lies and only the Grand Campaign game. I will occasionally play a scenario but that is very rare.

***I have beaten the game on Hard back in BETA but have not tried Impossible.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 3
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 2:22:20 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Is it still a challenge?

Thanks.

I only play H2H where I feel the true challenge lies and only the Grand Campaign game. I will occasionally play a scenario but that is very rare.

***I have beaten the game on Hard back in BETA but have not tried Impossible.

So Yes, it is still a challenge and the BEST DAMN game I have played. Hence my LOVE for it and the amount of time I have put into it. This speaks volumes to those who brought this to fruition.

Post #: 4
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 2:41:50 AM   
GibsonPete

No offense but I prefer to snuggle with my soul mate and enjoy taking her to see Dune or The Free Guy over playing WITE 2. The game is great but it is still a game and she is well, real. Of course as I post this she is in bed sleeping.

Post #: 5
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 3:56:01 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: GibsonPete

No offense but I prefer to snuggle with my soul mate and enjoy taking her to see Dune or The Free Guy over playing WITE 2. The game is great but it is still a game and she is well, real. Of course as I post this she is in bed sleeping.

;-)

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 6
RE: WITE2, More fun than having a wife... Just don't le... - 10/27/2021 4:21:40 AM   
MarkShot

One needs to find happiness with the hand they are dealt rather than asking the dealer for another hand (doesn't happen).

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

Post #: 7
WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 4:32:12 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

One needs to find happiness with the hand they are dealt rather than asking the dealer for another hand (doesn't happen).

I believe I know the reference but want to make sure before commenting.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 10/27/2021 4:34:33 AM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 8
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 4:58:36 AM   
MarkShot

I see you changed the title ... a better title.

I was just writing a friend and telling him one of things I really like about WITW and WITE2 is the level of detail put into supply.

I have played games which do particular things better than this series, but never ones that do so many things well in a single game.

It is very impressive.

As a professional ... if you ask me what I would call XYZ Game. I would answer "a program". This is one of the few games, I think it is fair to characterize as a "small scale system".

This is not simply hyperbole. This whole simulation of a sequence of processes with data flowing from each step to the next is very much a systems approach (Albeit one indicative of 1970's computer batch processing. But it was the standard for system construction at the time.)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

Post #: 9
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 5:55:17 AM   
laagamer

It's the best made hex wargame I've ever encountered.

If you're a professional historian of the Eastern Front, this game should be a mandatory part of your graduate level courses.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 10
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 7:35:38 AM   
Zovs

Besides addicting, immersive, captivating, and enthralling WITE2 is in my mind the best historical eastern front war game ever.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 11
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 9:27:04 AM   
Gunnulf

Any news on when WITE3 is coming out?

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 12
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 10:30:58 AM   
vilcum

Fully agree with this post and feel totally represented in the lifetime stealing tricks :) . Since "War in rusia" times and now "war in the East 1 and 2" I have take more hours on this game various representations than in anything out of working (including any other PC, tabletop and miniatures game series... and that is much saying for me), and I plan to going on doing it. My most humble congratulations to Gary and all the hard working team menbers.

P.D. As an old Europa series grognard I only can dream about that "war in europe" rumors being true.

Post #: 13
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 11:58:59 AM   
Miastowy

I rediscover this game every day, just look at these icons and the next day starts on the Eastern Front

(in reply to vilcum)
Post #: 14
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 1:35:25 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: laagamer

It's the best made hex wargame I've ever encountered.

If you're a professional historian of the Eastern Front, this game should be a mandatory part of your graduate level courses.

I could not agree more :)

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 15
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 1:36:04 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Besides addicting, immersive, captivating, and enthralling WITE2 is in my mind the best historical eastern front war game ever.

I will drink to that! /cheers (bottoms up)

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 16
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!! - 10/27/2021 1:40:28 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunnulf

Any news on when WITE3 is coming out?

I have only seen rumors and whispers on the wind but the setup in WITE2 maps looks to be the whole war in Europe next. So my guess is that there won't be a WITE3 but the "War in Europe" totally Grand Scale game. NOW THAT would be totally awesome multi player game to play with many Generals(players) all over the Europe map. That makes me wet myself in anticipation for such a game.

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 17
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 1:42:48 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: vilcum

Fully agree with this post and feel totally represented in the lifetime stealing tricks :) . Since "War in rusia" times and now "war in the East 1 and 2" I have take more hours on this game various representations than in anything out of working (including any other PC, tabletop and miniatures game series... and that is much saying for me), and I plan to going on doing it. My most humble congratulations to Gary and all the hard working team menbers.

P.D. As an old Europa series grognard I only can dream about that "war in europe" rumors being true.

My sentiments exactly, "Congratulations to Gary Grisby, Joel Billings, and the multitude of others behind the scenes" for all the dedication and hard work through the years. We all are grateful.

(in reply to vilcum)
Post #: 18
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 1:44:04 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miastowy

I rediscover this game every day, just look at these icons and the next day starts on the Eastern Front

Something new always comes to light every time you play the game.

(in reply to Miastowy)
Post #: 19
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 2:38:45 PM   
carlkay58

This game always presents challenges. If you feel that it is getting stale or predictable try something out of the box and you suddenly find yourself into new territory that expands the further you go. But this is from a playtester of WitE, WitW, WitE2 and has suddenly realized that this covers about 20+ years of game play . . .

Post #: 20
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 3:16:04 PM   
Zemke

HLYA keep pointing out things that you think will make the game better is all I ask. Having read most of what you post, I do believe you come at this from a point of view of making the game better, more historical, and realistic, and so far I think you have the historical knowledge of the Campaign to know what you are talking about. That others may question your motives is sometimes surprising to me.

Oh, one small piece of advice, I was where you are once. Don't put the game before your family, particularly your children. They only grow up once, and that time can NEVER be gotten back.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 21
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 3:20:17 PM   
GibsonPete

Zemke +1

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 22
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 3:39:14 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke

HLYA keep pointing out things that you think will make the game better is all I ask. Having read most of what you post, I do believe you come at this from a point of view of making the game better, more historical, and realistic, and so far I think you have the historical knowledge of the Campaign to know what you are talking about. That others may question your motives is sometimes surprising to me.

Oh, one small piece of advice, I was where you are once. Don't put the game before your family, particularly your children. They only grow up once, and that time can NEVER be gotten back.

I only want the best for the game that I really enjoy. Thus I try to bring out what I have knowledge of and I always try to be fair. Many that have played me should know the nature of my soul. But I have a bad habit of being upfront and to the point without charismatic writing as others :( A flaw of mine.

My kids have all grown, the youngest 25 and oldest 31 out of 3. Been very very very happily married to my wife for 33 years & would not trade her for anything in this world. Yes, I did forget to pick up the kids from school once but my wife put down the law real quick on that. She is Japanese and carries Ginsu knives ;-P She keeps me in line & is super family orientated. Thus why I was always looking for ways to play the game. But excellent advice.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 23
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 5:28:15 PM   
Zovs

Speaking of Europa like, here is a look at part of my board war game mod lol

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 24
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/27/2021 11:20:09 PM   
Beethoven1

Yes, it is an excellent good game. I've posted 400 messages on the forum here, and would not be doing that if I didn't think that was the case.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 25
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/28/2021 10:06:13 PM   
TallBlondJohn

Amen to all above. WITE2 does two key things: It feels right, and its fun. I've already had hundreds of hours in this thing and barely started. It's not a game, its a way of life.

I think its work in progress state is part of the appeal - we know our feedback will be considered and the game will only get even better. And one day we might have that WIEurope mega-game with 1939, 1940, North Africa etc and an air game that I can safely leave to the AI ;-)

(in reply to Beethoven1)
Post #: 26
RE: WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! - 10/29/2021 2:10:56 AM   
Rosseau

I am chiming in not to dispute the excellence of this game series, but to report on the affects of old age:

WitE2 has not yet given me the pleasure of the previous games, but I haven't practiced a lot lately! My wife would nod knowingly at that comparison after our marriage of 41 years.

It all started for me with digital wargaming's introduction to the Eastern Front - Chris Crawford's Eastern Front 1941 on Atari. It then moved inexorably to a much finer game, War in Russia, and then Second Front: Germany Turns East on the C64.

I can't quite get worked up over the logistical challenges of the current game at my age. Yet...

But when seeing the commitment of the devs, illustrated by a WitE1 change-log that's much longer than the manuals of almost every game I own, and I will buy and try until the end. And the same goes for my wife.

Best wishes to all, and especially 2by3!

(in reply to TallBlondJohn)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> WITE2, GREAT Game!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI