Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher and What Isn't?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher and What Isn't? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher and Wh... - 10/27/2021 9:15:18 PM   
Q-Ball

I realize this question is purely a matter of opinion and flavor, but I am wondering what others think is "Fair" when it comes to first-turn landings?

IRL, the Japanese landed early morning on Dec 8th (Dec 7th in GAME time) at Khota Bharu, 6 hexes from the Vietnamese coast. They were spotted the day before by RAAF Hudson, IIRC....British were on alert, but weren't going to fire first.

Based on that I think it's reasonable that invasion shipping go up to 8 hexes from Japanese-held territory on Dec 7th, but never "THROUGH" Allied territory. For example:

What I think is OK to land Dec 7th:

Khota Bharu
Apparri, Vigan, Laong (Northern Luzon)

What I think is OK to land Dec 8th (positioning convoys 4-5 hexes offshore Dec 7th)

Mersing (BUT NOT ON DEC 7th!)
Miri/Brunei
Lingayen Gulf
Legaspi
Davao

That's it basically in the SRA for me

This came up because my opponent is objecting to a landing on game Dec 8th at Mersing. Convoys were positioned 4 hexes away by nightfall on Dec 7th, and landed on Dec 8th. I feel like this is totally OK, but maybe I am wrong on this.

I've seen others land on Aleutians and whatnot which I suppose MAY have been possible based on lack of air search and commercial traffic on those waters, but I'm on the fence on this one

Thoughts?

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/27/2021 9:16:40 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/27/2021 9:40:06 PM   
Maallon

I would agree that a landing on Mersing on Dec 8th is definitely okay.
It isn't called the Mersing gambit for no reason, landing so close to Singapore that early is risky.
Torpedo Bombers and Force Z is a large threat to any landing there.

I would also agree with the rest of the bases you mentioned.
Palembang is a base I would consider as maybe too much for a Dec 7th or 8th landing, but landing there this early is also fairly risky, especially if Force Z is intact, so I personally wouldn't complain.

Never heard of someone landing in the Aleutians on Dec 7th until now. As an allied player I would actually welcome that, because there is literally nothing there that Japan urgently needs.
So the more troops my potential opponent diverges away from the SRE the better, at least in my book.

If I may ask, what are the arguments of your opponent for objecting this?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/27/2021 10:08:52 PM   
btd64

Mersing is fine. It just messed up his plans....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/27/2021 10:59:31 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Mersing is fine. It just messed up his plans....GP

No, his opponent has very sound real world military praxis considerations to object to a Mersing landing on day 2 of the war commencing.

Time after time, posters with zero relevant military experience or with real understanding of the military considerations which applied at the time, treat the historical leaders as nincompoops who should have done what the AE player, who is gaming the code, can get away with.

Japan very carefully prepared for its opening moves. If it was so simple as landing at Mersing on Day 2 (or for that matter Palembang within week 1), why didn't they do it. The answer is because it made no military sense. One does not send in an invasion force where the enemy has complete air superiority.

At the start of the war every major Japanese landing (which was not intended as a coup de main) was conducted within range of Japanese air cover, and with the intention of gaining developed airfields to support the next move forward. Why do you think Japanese forces landed at Kuantan. Because it was within range of their fighter cover based in Indo-China and it gave them airfields to move down the Malay peninsula towards Singapore. Why did they choose the specific Luzon landing sites. Again for the very same reasons; they were within fighter range of their Formosa airfields and allowed them to move towards Manila.

Add the presence of Force Z, which would have had much better air cover had it only been required to intercept a Mersing landing and no sane military planner would, at any stage, have considered landing there on Day 2, or Day 3, or Day 4 before friendly air cover could be provided.

Real military leaders have to take into account the survivability of their assets, the logistical difficulties of maintaining a combat effective force. They don't have the luxury of ordering 0s and 1s without regard, knowing they can always return to an earlier saved position or simply start the scenario again.

Alfred

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/27/2021 11:24:47 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred
No, his opponent has very sound real world military praxis considerations to object to a Mersing landing on day 2 of the war commencing.

Time after time, posters with zero relevant military experience or with real understanding of the military considerations which applied at the time, treat the historical leaders as nincompoops who should have done what the AE player, who is gaming the code, can get away with.

Japan very carefully prepared for its opening moves. If it was so simple as landing at Mersing on Day 2 (or for that matter Palembang within week 1), why didn't they do it. The answer is because it made no military sense. One does not send in an invasion force where the enemy has complete air superiority.

At the start of the war every major Japanese landing (which was not intended as a coup de main) was conducted within range of Japanese air cover, and with the intention of gaining developed airfields to support the next move forward. Why do you think Japanese forces landed at Kuantan. Because it was within range of their fighter cover based in Indo-China and it gave them airfields to move down the Malay peninsula towards Singapore. Why did they choose the specific Luzon landing sites. Again for the very same reasons; they were within fighter range of their Formosa airfields and allowed them to move towards Manila.

Add the presence of Force Z, which would have had much better air cover had it only been required to intercept a Mersing landing and no sane military planner would, at any stage, have considered landing there on Day 2, or Day 3, or Day 4 before friendly air cover could be provided.

Real military leaders have to take into account the survivability of their assets, the logistical difficulties of maintaining a combat effective force. They don't have the luxury of ordering 0s and 1s without regard, knowing they can always return to an earlier saved position or simply start the scenario again.

Alfred

Alfred you are absolutely right, air cover is key and certainly the Brits had local air superiority in and around Singapore. However if we are going to play the "variables" game, I've long considered the attack on Pearl to be a dangerous gamble (Yamamoto agrees with me, much to his credit!!!!). So let me posit another view trying to combine realism with gaming. Let's say that the KB hits Manila instead, believing that getting rid of the US Asiatic Fleet (especially it's subs) was a much more immediate concern (not knowing the state of US torpedoes) than the distant BBs or even CVs. This would "cripple" the local American fleet, would also leave the KB in local waters, AND, finally, hopefully not so enrage the American people (the P.I. being "over there") thus allowing for a more promising negotiated peace later down the line. Given this move, I would content that a Mersing landing on Day 2 is possible as the KB could hit the P.I. and then move down to establish local control of the area around Singapore and much needed aircover for a landing. Yes there are risks, and certainly the KB could have been "found" by US patoling AC but I would submit that the outcome would be the same (clearly the US would not conduct a preemptive strike on the KB), a surprise hit on the US fleet and then local control allowing the ability to land further down the Malaysian coast. Thoughts? But baring the abandonment of the hit on Pearl, you're right, I don't think a landing close to Singapore is anything but suicidal for the Japanese on day 2 or anytime soon thereafter. Hal

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 12:16:23 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

Alfred you are absolutely right, air cover is key and certainly the Brits had local air superiority in and around Singapore. However if we are going to play the "variables" game, I've long considered the attack on Pearl to be a dangerous gamble (Yamamoto agrees with me, much to his credit!!!!). So let me posit another view trying to combine realism with gaming. Let's say that the KB hits Manila instead, believing that getting rid of the US Asiatic Fleet (especially it's subs) was a much more immediate concern (not knowing the state of US torpedoes) than the distant BBs or even CVs. This would "cripple" the local American fleet, would also leave the KB in local waters, AND, finally, hopefully not so enrage the American people (the P.I. being "over there") thus allowing for a more promising negotiated peace later down the line. Given this move, I would content that a Mersing landing on Day 2 is possible as the KB could hit the P.I. and then move down to establish local control of the area around Singapore and much needed aircover for a landing. Yes there are risks, and certainly the KB could have been "found" by US patoling AC but I would submit that the outcome would be the same (clearly the US would not conduct a preemptive strike on the KB), a surprise hit on the US fleet and then local control allowing the ability to land further down the Malaysian coast. Thoughts? But baring the abandonment of the hit on Pearl, you're right, I don't think a landing close to Singapore is anything but suicidal for the Japanese on day 2 or anytime soon thereafter. Hal

AE is a game. Therefore players can try unrealistic real world military moves. Just as long as players understand the difference between the two.

As to your hypothetical scenario, I have the following general observations.

Yes, if the KB were present in the area, an early amphibious landing at Mersing was theoretically possible. Doing so would have cut off the bulk of the Allied forces which were up the Malay peninsula, specifically guarding the Allied airfields, which pre-1939 the RAF had assured 10 Downing Street, would be used to house the RAF assets which would defeat the Japanese well before they could threaten Singapore.

However, in 1941 no one viewed aircraft carriers as mobile airfields to support land operations. Aircraft carriers were primarily seen as scouts for the main battle line which of course was comprised of Battleships. USN carriers did not operate on mass, they were scouts. Ditto for the IJN, the difference being that Taranto had shown a surprise attack on docked ships could knock out the enemy battleline. In early C19th warfare, one could use ship of the line (the equivalent of dreadnought battleships) to smash the Danish battle line at Copenhagen. That option was no longer available in 1941. PBYs would have detected the IJN battleships well before they they got to Pearl Harbor. But aircraft carriers, which could launch well out to sea, and even if they were sighted by PBYs, their strike packages would arrive before the docked ships, on a Sunday, could get out to the open sea, that was a different issue.

Next, a KB strike on Day 1 against Manila would not see the KB in position to support a Mersing landing on Day 2. The alternative is to have the KB accompany the Mersing fleet ab initio. We know the Kuantan and Singkang invasion fleets were spotted by Allied naval search before hostilities commenced. An accompanying KB would have also been discovered, and that would have left absolutely no doubt what was about to happen, a troop convoy ferrying IJA units to Bangkok did not need to be screened by the KB. That would have given more time for Operation Matador to take place, and that would have been very, very bad news indeed for Japan.

Yet the main problem with your hypothetical is that it runs counter to Clausewitz, and Mahan. Everyone, and this most definitely applied to Yamamoto, believed that the correct military operational endeavour (whether it was on land or at sea) was to seek and destroy the main enemy force. For the IJN, this was the American battle line, located at Pearl Harbor. It was the underlying rationale for the subsequent 1942 Midway operation. It was embodied in the Decisive Battle Doctrine. It was once again seen in the 1944 Philippine naval planning.

Remember that in December 1941, the Yamato (let alone the Musashi) which was expected to provide the IJN with the capability to stand off and defeat the American battleline, was not available. If they didn't sink them in one stroke at Pearl Harbor, they would be dependent on subs thining out the American fleet as it moved west to sever the Japanese SLOC and confront the Combined Fleet. Battleship against battleship, an intact 1941 USN was superior to the combined Fleet reliant upon "modernised" Battlecruisers and no Yamato class Battleships.

It is not until the Essex class came online that the Americans could dispose of sufficient mobile airpower to invent the new doctrine of carriers supporting long distance invasions, away from land based aircover.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 1:11:10 AM   
dr.hal

[/quote]

AE is a game. Therefore players can try unrealistic real world military moves. Just as long as players understand the difference between the two.

As to your hypothetical scenario, I have the following general observations.

Yes, if the KB were present in the area, an early amphibious landing at Mersing was theoretically possible. Doing so would have cut off the bulk of the Allied forces which were up the Malay peninsula, specifically guarding the Allied airfields, which pre-1939 the RAF had assured 10 Downing Street, would be used to house the RAF assets which would defeat the Japanese well before they could threaten Singapore.

However, in 1941 no one viewed aircraft carriers as mobile airfields to support land operations. Aircraft carriers were primarily seen as scouts for the main battle line which of course was comprised of Battleships. USN carriers did not operate on mass, they were scouts. Ditto for the IJN, the difference being that Taranto had shown a surprise attack on docked ships could knock out the enemy battleline. In early C19th warfare, one could use ship of the line (the equivalent of dreadnought battleships) to smash the Danish battle line at Copenhagen. That option was no longer available in 1941. PBYs would have detected the IJN battleships well before they they got to Pearl Harbor. But aircraft carriers, which could launch well out to sea, and even if they were sighted by PBYs, their strike packages would arrive before the docked ships, on a Sunday, could get out to the open sea, that was a different issue.

Next, a KB strike on Day 1 against Manila would not see the KB in position to support a Mersing landing on Day 2. The alternative is to have the KB accompany the Mersing fleet ab initio. We know the Kuantan and Singkang invasion fleets were spotted by Allied naval search before hostilities commenced. An accompanying KB would have also been discovered, and that would have left absolutely no doubt what was about to happen, a troop convoy ferrying IJA units to Bangkok did not need to be screened by the KB. That would have given more time for Operation Matador to take place, and that would have been very, very bad news indeed for Japan.

Yet the main problem with your hypothetical is that it runs counter to Clausewitz, and Mahan. Everyone, and this most definitely applied to Yamamoto, believed that the correct military operational endeavour (whether it was on land or at sea) was to seek and destroy the main enemy force. For the IJN, this was the American battle line, located at Pearl Harbor. It was the underlying rationale for the subsequent 1942 Midway operation. It was embodied in the Decisive Battle Doctrine. It was once again seen in the 1944 Philippine naval planning.

Remember that in December 1941, the Yamato (let alone the Musashi) which was expected to provide the IJN with the capability to stand off and defeat the American battleline, was not available. If they didn't sink them in one stroke at Pearl Harbor, they would be dependent on subs thining out the American fleet as it moved west to sever the Japanese SLOC and confront the Combined Fleet. Battleship against battleship, an intact 1941 USN was superior to the combined Fleet reliant upon "modernised" Battlecruisers and no Yamato class Battleships.

It is not until the Essex class came online that the Americans could dispose of sufficient mobile airpower to invent the new doctrine of carriers supporting long distance invasions, away from land based aircover.

Alfred
[/quote]

Some very good points Alfred, but within them exists the seeds of interesting discussion. Clearly the Japanese higher naval command was hampered by "tradition" (line of battleships and the "decisive battle"). YET, they were certainly capable of thinking outside "the box" (witness the Pearl attack). Serious consideration was give to NOT attacking Pearl (indeed it was not really an option until after the Toronto affair) for the very reasons that attacking it proved to be a bad idea, getting caught, not sinking all the BBs and CVs and enraging the US population (to name the most obvious). It was also an obvious fact known to the Japanese at the time that for amphibious landings to have a chance of success local air superiority had to be established. This, as you noted, was "traditionally" done through overrunning local airfields. However, thinking outside the box, it could be done through a concentration of CV airpower. Now you are right, Alfred, to point out that the standing doctrine for naval airpower in late 1941 was to be the eyes of the battleline, HOWEVER the Japanese were also the first to concentrate their striking power in terms of multiple CV operations and coordinated strikes. This was certainly outside the box in 1941 as Toronto had nothing to do with coordination (despite the British TRYING to do so, which proved how difficult it was!). So if they seriously considered trying to cut the British line of retreat into fortress Singapore by landing in south Malaysia, they would have considered establishing air superiority via the only available option to them, that of the KB. Of course you're right to point out the chances of "discovery" were high as the northern passage and historically bad weather was not possible BUT again, what could the Allies do? Strike first?

Finally, as to the timeline, you state the KB would not be in a position the following day to attempt air superiority in and around Mersing. If the KB struck Manila from a line south of that port and left after the first and only strike, given the range of their aircraft, they could be in a position the following AM to support a landing if they were willing to "make all possible speed" in that direction.

All this of course ignores the ritual rivalry between the IJN and the IJA, and begs the question, does the navy WANT to support the army in the IJA's quest for glory, which is a whole other ballgame.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 3:15:48 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Some very good points Alfred, but within them exists the seeds of interesting discussion. Clearly the Japanese higher naval command was hampered by "tradition" (line of battleships and the "decisive battle"). YET, they were certainly capable of thinking outside "the box" (witness the Pearl attack). Serious consideration was give to NOT attacking Pearl (indeed it was not really an option until after the Toronto affair) for the very reasons that attacking it proved to be a bad idea, getting caught, not sinking all the BBs and CVs and enraging the US population (to name the most obvious). It was also an obvious fact known to the Japanese at the time that for amphibious landings to have a chance of success local air superiority had to be established. This, as you noted, was "traditionally" done through overrunning local airfields. However, thinking outside the box, it could be done through a concentration of CV airpower. Now you are right, Alfred, to point out that the standing doctrine for naval airpower in late 1941 was to be the eyes of the battleline, HOWEVER the Japanese were also the first to concentrate their striking power in terms of multiple CV operations and coordinated strikes. This was certainly outside the box in 1941 as Toronto had nothing to do with coordination (despite the British TRYING to do so, which proved how difficult it was!). So if they seriously considered trying to cut the British line of retreat into fortress Singapore by landing in south Malaysia, they would have considered establishing air superiority via the only available option to them, that of the KB. Of course you're right to point out the chances of "discovery" were high as the northern passage and historically bad weather was not possible BUT again, what could the Allies do? Strike first?

Finally, as to the timeline, you state the KB would not be in a position the following day to attempt air superiority in and around Mersing. If the KB struck Manila from a line south of that port and left after the first and only strike, given the range of their aircraft, they could be in a position the following AM to support a landing if they were willing to "make all possible speed" in that direction.

All this of course ignores the ritual rivalry between the IJN and the IJA, and begs the question, does the navy WANT to support the army in the IJA's quest for glory, which is a whole other ballgame.

I'll see your argument and raise the stakes even higher.

1. It wasn't just Taranto that made the Pearl Harbor strike possible. It was the almost contemporaneous decision to move the Pacific Fleet to Pearl Harbor that was critical. No way the KB could have approached San Diego in stealth, far too many busy commercial sea lanes. Whereas the approach taken to Pearl Harbor was not through busy commercial sea traffic.

2. There was Japanese precedent for the Pearl Harbor strike. Japan had done exactly the same thing in 1904 at Port Arthur to open the Russo-Japanese war. No airpower nor radar, thus the Japanese battleline could still do a Copenhagen in 1904. And then wait for the inevitable arrival of a new Russian fleet along a very limited approach route, with a very restricted Japanese SLOC to protect. Nothing comparable to defending the much more complex SRA SLOC to protect in 1942 from an untouched, superior American fleet. Not to mention an American fleet which could be augmented by Force Z. There was never any certainty that Force Z would be destroyed so early in the campaign.

3. As to positioning the KB south of Manila. Well, even without the island building of Xi in the area, we are still talking about busy commercial sealanes. Fairly high chance that Filipino fishermen working their traditional grounds at Scarborough Reef would have noticed the KB. Ultimately it comes down to this; how willing was Japan to risk having the KB "discovered" getting into position to strike. I vote that they always had foremost the idea that surprise was the sine qua non for the opening operations, it being part of their "traditional" thinking (here we can add 1894 to 1904).

4. Admiral Hart's submarines (let alone motley surface assets) were simply not viewed as a significant threat. Had enemy submarines been considered a real threat, there would have been much more pre-war attention devoted to ASW training and asset acquisition. Besides which, in real life, especially under 1941 conditions, it is a lot harder to sink enemy subs in port than it is in AE. When they did send their Formosa bombers to attack the American subs at Manila, the subs simply dived to the bottom before the bombers arrived and thereby largely avoided damage.

5. As to the concentration of carriers, well they were divided into carrier divisions, each one providing only a little more air power than the single American carrier task force deployment. In fact I would argue that the KB was only an ad hoc instrument, brought together for only 3 missions; December 1941 Pearl Harbor, February 1942 Darwin, and April 1942 Trincomalee. The latter two operations resulting from the success of the novelty Pearl Harbor operation. In all other instances, including Midway, Coral Sea, the Solomons, I detect the lingering hand of the carrier division doctrine in play. Even Midway (not forgetting the "subsidiary" Aleutians asset deployment) with its deployment of two carrier divisions, was seen as bait to lure the remaining American assets to destruction at the hands of the the trailing battleline. And this was after the learned experience from Coral Sea and the Indian Ocean raid, of the power of carrier operations. That learned experience didn't exist in October 1941 when detailed planning for the opening moves was being finalised.

6. Finally, I do believe you are greatly underestimating the impact of Operation Matador. With it the British would have effectively cut off any Japanese Malay peninsula landings from any terrestrial LOC back to their supply depots in Indo-China. The landed Japanese forces would have been a beached whale, deep in "Injun" country, completely ringed by enemy airfields, and totally reliant upon the KB staying in situ to safeguard the SLOC back to Indo-China. Their enemy would retain intact their LOCs and could concentrate their dispersed forces on to the beachhead.

It would require a very imaginative Japanese command to take these "courageous" decision. I see evidence of only incremental advances on their traditional military mindset.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 3:34:08 AM   
dr.hal

Well thanks Alfred, I see that we are going to have to agree to disagree!

I suggest that you too might be overestimating, in this case the abilities of the British Far East command and its capacity to respond to a fluid tactical situation. History seems to suggest the British leadership at the time didn't really have a good grasp of what was going on. And in response to Japan and its lack of courageous decision makers, I would argue that the simple fact that they pulled off the Pearl attack demonstrated incredibly courageous decision making (which was NOT evident throughout the war, as history also suggests, that I'll give you!). But your points are valid. Thanks for the discussion.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 3:54:52 PM   
SuluSea

Well said as always Alfred.

To each their own but I was never a fan of the Mersing Gambit. I believe it so far out of the IJA/N Air Umbrella that it stretches the capabilities of the IJA especially being on a road network with Singapore this idea takes advantage of what is known capabilities of the Allied side. I do believe that if this maneuver is used than the POW/Repulse should be left alone as a fair trade off. The Japanese would have never loaded shipping intended for the southern end of the peninsula without knowing those ships were neutralized.

I may differ with others on Luzon but believe anything is fair game as the Japanese easily could have diverted shipping to attack anywhere on the island without alarm save of course passing Bataan.

Sorry if I upset anyone but just offering an opinion.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 5:44:02 PM   
Q-Ball

One thing is sure, there is a difference of opinion, and probably each game you have to figure out what is "OK" and what is "NOT OK" with both sides. Mersing seems to be a divisive one. I see multiple AARs going right now that use a Mersing landing, including Desert Wolf and Mike Solli.

I agree on Northern Luzon....that's fully in aircover range, and at any rate the Japanese did have an advantage in that the Allies were determined not to fire first and give Japan a "Causus Belli".

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 11
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 5:58:07 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

One thing is sure, there is a difference of opinion, and probably each game you have to figure out what is "OK" and what is "NOT OK" with both sides. Mersing seems to be a divisive one. I see multiple AARs going right now that use a Mersing landing, including Desert Wolf and Mike Solli.

I agree on Northern Luzon....that's fully in aircover range, and at any rate the Japanese did have an advantage in that the Allies were determined not to fire first and give Japan a "Causus Belli".

A question. Northern Luzon in in fighter range but how many Japanese players put LRCAP over their amphibious TFs? I venture than most do not put any at all, using them for sweeps over Clark Field and Manilla. If you are going to allow the Japanese to land in Northern Luzon on turn one, then the Allies should be free to give orders to their air, land and Naval units. Same would go for Malaya.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 12
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 7:47:32 PM   
rustysi

Aw, just play an historical start and forget about it.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 13
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 8:35:18 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

A question. Northern Luzon in in fighter range but how many Japanese players put LRCAP over their amphibious TFs? I venture than most do not put any at all, using them for sweeps over Clark Field and Manilla. If you are going to allow the Japanese to land in Northern Luzon on turn one, then the Allies should be free to give orders to their air, land and Naval units. Same would go for Malaya.

I haven't seen anyone implement that House Rule, but I can see the value in it. Honestly if I am Japan and Allies are allowed to do that, I would rather land Dec 8th, devoting all airpower to raiding the airfields on Luzon

P-40Es on Low-N can do decent work on transports, even if they are not trained.....

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 14
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/28/2021 11:12:16 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

This is a good point - sailing force Z up to Mersing and back, or even just cobbling together a scout cruiser & old DD force to interfere with any TF's there, along with a Vilderbeeste torpedo strike in the morning, generally sees off any attempted landing. Even if there is carrier cover, the "scrap iron" flotilla still get one night of fun & sport - just make sure they are set to withdraw all the way to Sabang by morning.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 15
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 12:11:17 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

quote:

This is a good point - sailing force Z up to Mersing and back, or even just cobbling together a scout cruiser & old DD force to interfere with any TF's there, along with a Vilderbeeste torpedo strike in the morning, generally sees off any attempted landing. Even if there is carrier cover, the "scrap iron" flotilla still get one night of fun & sport - just make sure they are set to withdraw all the way to Sabang by morning.

One problem with that is that there is only one naval movement phase on Dec 7. So your TFs will go to Mersing and stay there.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 16
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 12:30:25 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

quote:

One problem with that is that there is only one naval movement phase on Dec 7. So your TFs will go to Mersing and stay there.

and die as intended to Betty/Nells strikes from Saigon

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 17
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 12:38:58 PM   
madflava13

[/quote]

3. As to positioning the KB south of Manila. Well, even without the island building of Xi in the area, we are still talking about busy commercial sealanes. Fairly high chance that Filipino fishermen working their traditional grounds at Scarborough Reef would have noticed the KB. Ultimately it comes down to this; how willing was Japan to risk having the KB "discovered" getting into position to strike. I vote that they always had foremost the idea that surprise was the sine qua non for the opening operations, it being part of their "traditional" thinking (here we can add 1894 to 1904).

[/quote]

I take issue with this point. The Allies lost track of KB (changed codes, they stopped transmitting so no radio DF either) prior to war breaking out. Even though its busy (less so in 1941 than now), the S. China Sea is still very large. Plenty of room for KB to hide. And even if the "Filipino fishermen" working the reef saw KB (why would KB be that close to such an obvious occupied piece of seascape?), how would they notify anyone? Did the average Filipino fisherman in 1941 have radio? And even if they did, who would they call? And even if they called someone, would it matter? Remember, MacArthur had notice of the attack on Pearl Harbor and was still caught by surprise. I think your point here assumes too much.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 1:31:58 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

quote:

I take issue with this point. The Allies lost track of KB (changed codes, they stopped transmitting so no radio DF either) prior to war breaking out. Even though its busy (less so in 1941 than now), the S. China Sea is still very large. Plenty of room for KB to hide. And even if the "Filipino fishermen" working the reef saw KB (why would KB be that close to such an obvious occupied piece of seascape?), how would they notify anyone? Did the average Filipino fisherman in 1941 have radio? And even if they did, who would they call? And even if they called someone, would it matter? Remember, MacArthur had notice of the attack on Pearl Harbor and was still caught by surprise. I think your point here assumes too much.

I agree,

Surprise was certainly what they wanted for the Pearl Harbor operation, but did the IJN Admirals actually think the Malaya invasion forces were unnoticed? I can't see that being the case.

Not doing 'magic move' 1st turn invasions of places like Mersing because the Allies could and would have struck at them is one thing, but a KB strike is a different kettle of fish. I suppose if an opponent really objects you could consider having CAP up in the area as compensation.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 19
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 4:38:19 PM   
Sardaukar

Adm. Yamamoto, knowing USA since been posted there and studied there, advocated attacking only British and Dutch colonies.
That'd have been a dilemma for Roosevelt, since in USA there was strong isolationist movement.

Roosevelt would have had difficulties to convince declaration of war against Japan, considering also anti-colonialism sentiment in USA.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher an... - 10/29/2021 11:22:34 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

And yet the Mark I eyeball of an Australian discovered the troopships heading to Malaya.

How much smaller a footprint do you think the KB would have presented compared to the troop convoy?

How far away from the troop convoy would the KB be positioned?

Would the KB also sail with their supporting ships? How big is their footprint to be added to the various other "ship columns"?

Unlike the sea approach to Pearl Harbor, there are numerous shallow areas which act as funnels for large "ship columns".

No one on this forum knows for certain how willing Yamamoto was to risk prior discovery. What we can say with certainty is that maintaining total surprise was a significant element in the actual plan he developed and had executed. An approach consistent with modern Japanese naval planning for the previous 50 years.

Alfred

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on First-Turn Landings: What is Kosher and What Isn't? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI