Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stepping away...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Stepping away... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stepping away... - 10/25/2021 8:03:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thogode
Here, if you are asking about a certain topic, you mostly get the answer: WitE2 is broken, because ...
Maybe I am wrong or looking at this forum with a bias, but this is my impression about the last weeks here. Or I am simply missing your experience.

We went through stages of this type of feedback on WITE1, WITW, WITP, etc. Not to diminish the specific feedback, which is always read and investigated, but in a complex wargame that aims for history there are just about infinitely variable outcomes so there's almost always something unusual that can be highlighted. The rules are also complex enough that for those who start to dive into the more advanced options in the game, there can be many misunderstandings or corner cases that don't make sense. Again, we read and investigate all such concerns. Some turn out to be on point, others are mistaken, but improving the game over time is different from the game being at any point "broken".

Each player may have their own main concern or issue, but there's nothing I've seen whether issue or not that couldn't be worked around with a house rule if needed and the real issues are already under investigation and being addressed.

I've found WITE2 both pre and post-release to be both playable and fun and I expect it will become more so over time as improvements are made based on player feedback. With all of these games, the size, scope and complexity means that it's inevitable that the more play it gets, the more feedback we get, the more the game improves.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Thogode)
Post #: 61
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 2:38:06 AM   
GibsonPete

Zemke;
Q: "Anyone want to explain all this to a dumb Grunt?"

A: A fellow Grunt rubs the side of his head with his knuckles, slaps his sloped forehead and says, "Magic".

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 62
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 2:46:02 AM   
GibsonPete

I have not see the bias that I observed in WETE 1. The developers and the play testers have my sincere appreciation for the product they have created and continue to perfect. The insight I have received from the players (and Matrix staff) who have shared their knowledge has made me a better player and allowed me to enjoy the game even more.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 63
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 2:49:35 AM   
IslandInland

It always makes laugh when a frequenter of a forum posts they are leaving said forum.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 64
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 6:43:04 AM   
MarkShot

For those who were lost with what I said about implementation:

* I like the game.

* Even if not for the BG legacy, the team chose the only feasible architecture for a game of this scope given current hardware limitations.

The game is not a grotesque aberration or the result of poor engineering skills. It is, in fact, a very well executed development project (a professional opinion).

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 65
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 12:40:34 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

For those who were lost with what I said about implementation:

* I like the game.

* Even if not for the BG legacy, the team chose the only feasible architecture for a game of this scope given current hardware limitations.

The game is not a grotesque aberration or the result of poor engineering skills. It is, in fact, a very well executed development project (a professional opinion).

The people that are posting still are the ones that LOVE the game. Of those people you have two groups, The Soviet Side & the German Side. These are the people that love the game so dearly that post threads will be brought to the forfront in hopes of making this game even better with these posts. See that is the Crux. Some believe these posts are trying to destroy the game into something else when in reality, if we just stop to listen and understand these players, it is the LOVE of this game that makes us want to contribute.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 66
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 2:28:48 PM   
Thogode

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thogode
Here, if you are asking about a certain topic, you mostly get the answer: WitE2 is broken, because ...
Maybe I am wrong or looking at this forum with a bias, but this is my impression about the last weeks here. Or I am simply missing your experience.

Each player may have their own main concern or issue, but there's nothing I've seen whether issue or not that couldn't be worked around with a house rule if needed and the real issues are already under investigation and being addressed.

I've found WITE2 both pre and post-release to be both playable and fun and I expect it will become more so over time as improvements are made based on player feedback. With all of these games, the size, scope and complexity means that it's inevitable that the more play it gets, the more feedback we get, the more the game improves.

Regards,

- Erik

Many thanks for your encouraging reply.

As WitPAE or WitW were "patched" for a long time, I am sure WitE2 will evolve in the future.

Unfortunately some of the most active posters here are not the most helpful.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 67
RE: Stepping away... - 10/26/2021 3:33:39 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

It always makes laugh when a frequenter of a forum posts they are leaving said forum.

But if you don't announce it, you won't get the replies of "Don't leave." :) My usual cynical self.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 68
RE: Stepping away... - 10/27/2021 7:00:46 PM   
wpurdom

The fundamental problems of the game in terms of balance and 'realism' come from its nature and are inherent to its audience's desires and the asymmetric value of hindsight.

The game mechanics eliminate friction on your own side, getting rid of at least 1/3 of the reason no plan survives contact with the enemy. The ability to do repeat testing. You know what the combat value of your force is, and after some experimentation and repetition have an unduly precise idea of how combat operates. The detailed info about the mechanics and the ability to do repeated test games may eliminate another third. Battles have more of in common with a choreographed ballet, or at least a sports game, such as football, than they do of combat. Now the Germans, after two years of combat have a fair idea of what there forces could accomplish tactically and what the abilities of their commanders were. The Soviets, in contrast, don't have a clue except as to Zhukov and Timoshenko. Stalin thinks Voroshilov (sp?) is a great commander, and Rossokovsky has just been released from prison.

In the real world, once of Stalin's biggest concerns is the political collapse of his regime when face3d with defeats. He has no idea that Hitler will not even attempt to build on the wide-spread opposition among the subject nations and plans to starve to death 1/5 of the Soviet population. The game player has no political concerns, the VP system doesn't give a rational basis for standing and fighting. to duplicate the command side, one would have to randomize the command values of Soviet commanders and make their true values unknown except by performance until perhaps gradually unmaking them btween November 41 and June 42. Knowing the worth of commanders along with them having their full competence from the beginning are probably 2 big reasons the 1941 Red army fights more like the 1942 Red Army and the 1942 army fights like 1943.

The strategic insights from hindsight are almost all on the Soviet side. About the only thing the German picks up is go ahead and take Leningrad if you can, rather than relying on starvation (and maybe you can't take Moscow against a competent commander). The Soviet knows from the beginning that you can't form a solid defense before the rains, you should concentrate on avoiding encirclements (Kiev), December 1942 doesn't usually mark a complete turning point (there's a spring recovery coming) and you can't just keep on attacking willy-nilly regardless of losses, and you shouldn't put the cream of your army into a massive counter-attack in the spring (Kharkov) unless you've had remarkable success all through the winter. And to put a topping on the desert, the Soviet player has an exact understanding of the mechanics of creating elite formations, the German is stuck with the historical ones.

I get the impression that the mechanics of combat in this game are very ably modelled, but that does not mean one should expect historical results given the above factors - if the Germans are doing as well as the historical Germans then either the German commander is considerably superior or the mechanics are probably tilted ahistorically in the Axis direction.

But the grognards(sp?) who want this sort of game would, and myself to tell the truth, probably hate building the friction internal within your own army, and it would ruin the feel of authenticity to make the second best Soviet commander be General Slobin rather than a well-known historic commander. If you're going to balance the game while keeping the combat modelling as accurate as possible, then you probably need to look at the VP system or house rules.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 69
RE: Stepping away... - 10/27/2021 7:14:19 PM   
AlbertN

I quite agree with Wpurdom here - but I've sung and preached that around already across the board.

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 70
RE: Stepping away... - 10/27/2021 9:04:23 PM   
panzer51

I would strongly support having dynamic commanders, with their stats improving or not depending on their battle results.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 71
RE: Stepping away... - 10/27/2021 11:19:37 PM   
GibsonPete

Panzer 51 +1 on that. It would assist both sides based on quality of the player managing his leaders.

(in reply to panzer51)
Post #: 72
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 1:31:18 AM   
AlbertN

I believe there is there - the factor that leaders can improve their ratings over time; I do not know how often or what is required but most stats can skill up to 6, and I believe Political and Morale up to 8. It's on the manual anyhow and I may be wrong in numbers.

It is normal it is not a common happening thought, or leaders would skill up pretty quickly in general.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 73
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 12:53:47 PM   
Zemke

quote:

ORIGINAL: wpurdom

The fundamental problems of the game in terms of balance and 'realism' come from its nature and are inherent to its audience's desires and the asymmetric value of hindsight.

The game mechanics eliminate friction on your own side, getting rid of at least 1/3 of the reason no plan survives contact with the enemy. The ability to do repeat testing. You know what the combat value of your force is, and after some experimentation and repetition have an unduly precise idea of how combat operates. The detailed info about the mechanics and the ability to do repeated test games may eliminate another third. Battles have more of in common with a choreographed ballet, or at least a sports game, such as football, than they do of combat. Now the Germans, after two years of combat have a fair idea of what there forces could accomplish tactically and what the abilities of their commanders were. The Soviets, in contrast, don't have a clue except as to Zhukov and Timoshenko. Stalin thinks Voroshilov (sp?) is a great commander, and Rossokovsky has just been released from prison.

In the real world, once of Stalin's biggest concerns is the political collapse of his regime when face3d with defeats. He has no idea that Hitler will not even attempt to build on the wide-spread opposition among the subject nations and plans to starve to death 1/5 of the Soviet population. The game player has no political concerns, the VP system doesn't give a rational basis for standing and fighting. to duplicate the command side, one would have to randomize the command values of Soviet commanders and make their true values unknown except by performance until perhaps gradually unmaking them btween November 41 and June 42. Knowing the worth of commanders along with them having their full competence from the beginning are probably 2 big reasons the 1941 Red army fights more like the 1942 Red Army and the 1942 army fights like 1943.

The strategic insights from hindsight are almost all on the Soviet side. About the only thing the German picks up is go ahead and take Leningrad if you can, rather than relying on starvation (and maybe you can't take Moscow against a competent commander). The Soviet knows from the beginning that you can't form a solid defense before the rains, you should concentrate on avoiding encirclements (Kiev), December 1942 doesn't usually mark a complete turning point (there's a spring recovery coming) and you can't just keep on attacking willy-nilly regardless of losses, and you shouldn't put the cream of your army into a massive counter-attack in the spring (Kharkov) unless you've had remarkable success all through the winter. And to put a topping on the desert, the Soviet player has an exact understanding of the mechanics of creating elite formations, the German is stuck with the historical ones.

I get the impression that the mechanics of combat in this game are very ably modelled, but that does not mean one should expect historical results given the above factors - if the Germans are doing as well as the historical Germans then either the German commander is considerably superior or the mechanics are probably tilted ahistorically in the Axis direction.

But the grognards(sp?) who want this sort of game would, and myself to tell the truth, probably hate building the friction internal within your own army, and it would ruin the feel of authenticity to make the second best Soviet commander be General Slobin rather than a well-known historic commander. If you're going to balance the game while keeping the combat modelling as accurate as possible, then you probably need to look at the VP system or house rules.

I agree with the above. However I don't think leaders are the cause, rather the perfect hindsight both players have on what really happened. I am talking about PvP games NOT AI games. Also, messing with leader ratings kind of ruins the "role-playing" aspect that is a neat feature of the game.

I have said in other posts the VP system is the easiest method to force something different from the Russian human player. Currently, everything wpurdom said is true, there is no reason for Russia to fight for anything and they come out of 41 into 42 much stronger.

I am playing an experimental game with another player where Germany is set to 110 morale, with the thought that this would allow the Germans to get closer to historical advance rates. Frankly, German 110 morale did not have the results thought. The Germans are more effective in 41, and do get slightly further, but not excessively so. In 42 the Germans make up some lost ground and inflict a lot of losses on the Soviets. How this plays out into 43 we are not sure, as we are not into March of 43. Without a German Stalingrad, German manpower is pretty strong, and the 10 points of morale is a huge help.

So in 41 the Soviets don't suffer huge losses, no Keiv, it is only in 42 that the Germans were able to really hurt the Soviet side, forcing them to fight, as now retreating into the depths of Russia is not always going to work.

Anyway, the point is even a 110 morale increase for Germany does not solve the problem. I think one solution is changing the VP / Objectives to force the Russians to fight in 41 more often and perhaps boosting the German ability only in 1941 to get close to historical results. And yes I understand there will never be perfect historical results.

< Message edited by Zemke -- 10/28/2021 12:56:08 PM >

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 74
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 1:10:42 PM   
MarkShot

Is not the meta war an exercise in hind sight with the whole city dates, TBs, and initiative flip?

But to be honest, the game ventures into alternate history enough for me. I want to better understand WWII than a Road to 56.

Still I want balanced game. As already demonstrated that can be built into the scoring system instead of skewing weapons stats, production, or actual numbers.

It's okay when a 20 turn scenario is "best played as", but not a 300 turn campaign.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 75
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 1:32:50 PM   
Joch1955

As others have said, if the issue is that the Russian player does not stand and fight, I would think the easiest way to force that would be by adjusting victory conditions. The Axis player already get higher points if they capture a city faster than the Axis did historically. Perhaps the bonus should be increased so there is an incentive to stay and fight.

< Message edited by Joch1955 -- 10/28/2021 1:34:58 PM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 76
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 3:00:28 PM   
panzer51

Easiest thing - not to relocate industry. So you have a refinery, you don't fight you lose it and fuel production for good. Relocation should also take up some rail capacity, it typically took several hundred railroad cars and several trains to move the equipment and personnel. Now it simply disappears and reappears somewhere else.

(in reply to Joch1955)
Post #: 77
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 4:15:34 PM   
GibsonPete

A simple Request
~ Relocating factories reduce the Soviets rail capacity as it did historically.

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

(in reply to panzer51)
Post #: 78
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 4:17:09 PM   
GibsonPete

Zemke, I believe you should have increased logistics not morale in your 'what if' scenario.

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 79
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 4:34:36 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: GibsonPete

A simple Request

it does, but remember that in WiTE2 you do not have the abstraction in #1 of a global rail cap, its localised to where the entraining takes place

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 80
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 5:17:05 PM   
panzer51

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

A simple Request

it does, but remember that in WiTE2 you do not have the abstraction in #1 of a global rail cap, its localised to where the entraining takes place

quote:

so if I move something from Odessa to Kuybyshev, where exactly do you incur railroad usage?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 81
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 5:35:19 PM   
Aurelian

Nvm

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 10/28/2021 5:36:04 PM >

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 82
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 5:39:43 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joch1955

As others have said, if the issue is that the Russian player does not stand and fight, I would think the easiest way to force that would be by adjusting victory conditions. The Axis player already get higher points if they capture a city faster than the Axis did historically. Perhaps the bonus should be increased so there is an incentive to stay and fight.

No. Just no. Unless in the same time period you're going to force the Axis to act like they did. You know, no Leningrad or Moscow taking for starters. Or attacking no matter how worn out the panzers are.

(in reply to Joch1955)
Post #: 83
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 5:45:00 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzer51

Easiest thing - not to relocate industry. So you have a refinery, you don't fight you lose it and fuel production for good. Relocation should also take up some rail capacity, it typically took several hundred railroad cars and several trains to move the equipment and personnel. Now it simply disappears and reappears somewhere else.

Like it did in actuality. German recon photos showed thousands of railcars sitting at the stations. And they didn't do anything about it.

And remember, they don't resume production for quite awhile after they moved. And wait even more if you move them yourself

(in reply to panzer51)
Post #: 84
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 5:50:09 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzer51

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

A simple Request

quote:

so if I move something from Odessa to Kuybyshev, where exactly do you incur railroad usage?

the same way as any rail move capacity is generated, from what is available at level 2 railyards within 30 hexes.

This concept is utterly fundamental to the logistics model and how units are moved by rail.

Once you have the capacity to make the move, the usage is then placed on the rail hexes you pass over, again in the caes of factory evacuations --- in the logistics phase

(in reply to panzer51)
Post #: 85
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 6:01:11 PM   
Zemke

Maybe so, it is hard to tell really because how I play the Germans may not be the same as you and my Russian opponent may not play like some other Russian players.

As an example, in my other PvP "normal settings" game, my Opponent resigned on May 42 after I encircled a large number of Russians. I tried to tell him this was by no means as bad as it looked, but as he had not really seen anything like that since the beginning of the game, (because he fell back and there were no real encirclement battles), it looked far worse to him than it was IMO. He had a 6 million + man army going into 42. My point is, it is really hard to judge.

I will try your idea.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 86
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 6:50:56 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joch1955

No. Just no. Unless in the same time period you're going to force the Axis to act like they did. You know, no Leningrad or Moscow taking for starters. Or attacking no matter how worn out the panzers are.

I think there is a balance with this. You don't want the victory system 'railroading' players but at the same time I think it is appropriate for it to be used to manage the 'flow' of the campaign to ensure that it is fun for both players.

For me the victory system needs to give meaningful choices in 1941 to both players.

So the Axis player should have the choice of being ambitious with their attacks in late summer/the snow turns and giving themselves the chance of winning the game in 41 or 42, or being more cautious in the expectation of trying to win the game in 43/44.

Similarly the Soviet player should be faced with the choice of either fighting forward, which if done skillfully could potentially win them the game in 41/42 or retreating quicker with the aim of winning in 43/44.

If the game is balanced you then potentially get (balanced in terms of which side wins) outcomes along the lines of
Aggressive Axis vs Aggressive Soviet - games ending in late 41/early 42
Cautious Axis vs Aggressive Soviet - games ending in late 42/early 43
Aggressive Axis vs Defensive Soviet - games ending in late 42/early 43
Cautious Axis vs Defensive Soviet - games ending in late 44.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 87
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 7:01:45 PM   
GibsonPete

Loki's reply that when the factories displace it reduces rail capacity is good enough for me. Nuff said.

Making the Soviets stand and fight is not a solution. Both players need the freedom to create their own strategy. When to attack, defend or retreat is strictly a player decision.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 88
RE: Stepping away... - 10/28/2021 7:25:50 PM   
panzer51

quote:

Making the Soviets stand and fight is not a solution. Both players need the freedom to create their own strategy. When to attack, defend or retreat is strictly a player decision.

yet as an Axis player you have forced unit withdrawals for no apparent reason. Interestingly, very few Soviet units are withdrawn for rebuilding.

The problem is that industry moves no matter what you do so you don't have to worry about it and can walk back. There is no political price to pay.

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 89
RE: Stepping away... - 10/29/2021 1:51:54 AM   
MarkShot

I just wanted to say that I will be stepping away ...

I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up some refills this morning, and will be back this afternoon.

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 10/29/2021 1:52:19 AM >

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to panzer51)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Stepping away... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI