Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank? - 11/5/2021 3:18:50 PM   
Hagar

Back in the day we've tried to add alternate tech team imagery to Hearts of Iron spin-off Arsenal of Democracy based on tech year, so we could support changing industry logos within the timespan of the game. And with we I mean the CORE modding team. We actually were successful in getting the basic coding in place on our request, but never went ahead to actually implementing it within our AoD CORE mod (and as far as I know, no one else did either).

But it actually might be a neat feature for WitE2 too. Probably not for the German imagery, as distinguishing rank for German generals was primarily collar tab color and epaulet driven. But for the Soviet generals this might actually be different. Especially for the 1941-1942/3 timeframe, where the collar tab displays the rank of a Soviet general distinctively. From 1943 onward this changes into rank distinction by epaulet only, as the Soviets switched their uniform style. So the effect will primarily affect only those scenarios with deal with the first few years of the war in the east, only the Soviets, and in most cases will be limited due to lack of decent alternate source imagery anyway. But it would be neat to be able to have the option to have a default leader image as a base, and be able to assign specific images based on leader rank.

So let's presume we have LD0900 as the default image for leader 900. If a LD0900_1 is found, this will be the image for that particular leader when he is of rank #1. LD0900_2 for rank #2 and so on, and if such an alternate rank image isn't defined the game uses LD0900 by default. This way we could have different leader images for some of the higher ranking generals, like Zhukov (who starts out as 'only' a 5-star general), or Rokossovsky (who is only a 3-star general (lieutenant general in game terms) at the start of the grand campaign, and ends up as a marshal in 1944. So that would have the leader imagery evolve as a general rises through the ranks. Provided it is easy to implement, as the usability will be limited (being of interest for the Soviet imagery only, and in most cased will be moot anyway due to lack of source imagery to begin with). But for the top brass, this might actually be different, like Zhukov, Rokossovsky, Konev and some others. No idea how far it will stretch in terms of actual potential, but probably not too far. Still, it will certainly be neat to have.

CORE Minister of Propaganda

Ex-CORE for Arsenal of Democracy developer

COREd War in the East 2 - reworked aircraft, ground and leader imagery
Post #: 1
RE: Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank? - 11/6/2021 12:16:32 AM   
56ajax

I've always thought that it would be fun to change the name of a general or 2 and to include a new photo (of me).

But the question is, how many extra copies of the game will it sell?

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Hagar)
Post #: 2
RE: Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank? - 11/6/2021 6:00:27 AM   
Hagar

Good point... In itself that's hard to tell. Usually things like these might make a difference though, especially when clustered with some other tweaks that are honored, and maybe jointly implemented for efficiency. The concept itself is certainly doable though, the most work will be in finding the imagery, not the mechanics behind it. I already pitched it with Omat privately to find out what his position on it was, and it certainly wasn't a straight out 'no'. As long as everybody is aware of the limitations (limited to the upper tier Soviet generals, provided the source imagery is actually available) the thought certainly is intriguing.

I am more than willing to work together with him on finding source imagery, and thus lighten the workload. We've shared sources multiple times in the past as well, and aren't that different in the quality of our research and taste for imagery. There's certainly mutual respect between us two.

CORE Minister of Propaganda

Ex-CORE for Arsenal of Democracy developer

COREd War in the East 2 - reworked aircraft, ground and leader imagery

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Option for alternate leader imagery based on rank? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI