Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if it matters.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if it matters..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if it ma... - 11/8/2021 3:33:19 PM   
Q-Ball

I recently completed a First-turn as Japan. In order to test my orders and settings, and make sure I didn't screw-up anything, I ran it a few times while I was working on it just to test it. As I did that, I noticed something curious......

The midget sub attacks were ALWAYS exactly the same result. 1 torp hit on USS Tennessee causing Damage to Engines, then another miss followed by the midget sub taking 3 hits from ASW ships in the harbor. 4 times, exact same outcome.

Everything AFTER that was random; different each time. But that midget sub attack was exactly the same!

I know the replay is not set until after the Allied player enters orders, but that Midget-Sub outcome seems to be an exception.

It's not a game changer if it is, but just wondering if others have noticed this?

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 11/8/2021 3:34:12 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/8/2021 3:59:21 PM   
geofflambert

Those minis are probably juiced for that day only. They're of little use the rest of the war. Not sure but that may be mod dependent.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/8/2021 4:22:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I recently completed a First-turn as Japan. In order to test my orders and settings, and make sure I didn't screw-up anything, I ran it a few times while I was working on it just to test it. As I did that, I noticed something curious......

The midget sub attacks were ALWAYS exactly the same result. 1 torp hit on USS Tennessee causing Damage to Engines, then another miss followed by the midget sub taking 3 hits from ASW ships in the harbor. 4 times, exact same outcome.

Everything AFTER that was random; different each time. But that midget sub attack was exactly the same!

I know the replay is not set until after the Allied player enters orders, but that Midget-Sub outcome seems to be an exception.

It's not a game changer if it is, but just wondering if others have noticed this?

I have experimented with Turns 1 to 3 with the Allies many times, trying different things mostly around Luzon, Singapore and PH. Whenever I ran a turn and noted results, I took the same Pre-Turn Save and changed a few things before running the turn again. In every case the turn proceeded identically to the previous version until it got to a point where I had changed something. After that, all the turn could be different.

I am guessing that at the beginning of the turn the die-rolls map out what will happen during the turn and changing the sequence of events means the die-rolls change from that point on. That affects everything from weather, detections and combats/combat results.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 3
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/8/2021 6:59:16 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

Never seen that before. My mini sub results are always different with each replay against the AI...interesting indeed... maybe it is different with PBEM though...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 11/8/2021 7:01:07 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/8/2021 10:05:30 PM   
RangerJoe

It probably keeps the same random number until something changes.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/10/2021 8:16:21 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I have experimented with Turns 1 to 3 with the Allies many times, trying different things mostly around Luzon, Singapore and PH. Whenever I ran a turn and noted results, I took the same Pre-Turn Save and changed a few things before running the turn again. In every case the turn proceeded identically to the previous version until it got to a point where I had changed something. After that, all the turn could be different.

I am guessing that at the beginning of the turn the die-rolls map out what will happen during the turn and changing the sequence of events means the die-rolls change from that point on. That affects everything from weather, detections and combats/combat results.

This is not my experience, but I also have essentially no experience mucking around with changing saves for turns 1-3. It's always been later than that. At least to my recollection.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if i... - 11/10/2021 10:50:56 AM   
Trugrit

Is there a ghost in the machine…..maybe.

I think you need to focus more on playing the game rather than staring into the vast abyss.
……..In that direction there is madness.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.
……..for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Something I noticed on Combat Replay, not sure if it matters..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI