Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AIM-9 sidewinder usage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> AIM-9 sidewinder usage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AIM-9 sidewinder usage - 11/7/2021 10:15:22 AM   
fulcrum28

if I want to use AIM-9 missile manually,
first I need to assign the weapon to the target with SHIF+F1 key and after that, and because the effective range is 10nm or less,
I should manually move the aircraft to the rear to the target aircraft within 10nm then the missile automatically should ignite and start tracking the heat of the target?
Post #: 1
RE: AIM-9 sidewinder usage - 11/8/2021 8:29:14 AM   
KnightHawk75

Yup to you.
You don't have to manually assign it first, before you move the attacking aircraft where want it for the shot. You certainly could, and if NOT trying to micromanage the shot you can as shift-f1 is a manual attack order (all other things being equal - ie one of many doctrine setting is not otherwise restricting it from engaging). If you do, know however the first moment it's in-range and the dlz check is green it'll fire - no matter if your in the best position yet for the shot or not. Generally if I want to wait for specific location to make the shot from I'll wait till I micro the attacker into position before shift-f1'ing. If however I don't care where the shot is made from and I just want an attack using said weapons asap then I'll shift-f1 and pre-allocate so they go off the rail at the first available opportunity.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 2
RE: AIM-9 sidewinder usage - 11/8/2021 4:37:50 PM   
Schr75

I might also add that newer versions of the AIM-9 are all aspect, meaning that they can be fired at any angle to the target.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 3
RE: AIM-9 sidewinder usage - 11/9/2021 12:27:37 PM   
fulcrum28

thanks for your kind replies. Very useful information!

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> AIM-9 sidewinder usage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI