Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UI question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> UI question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UI question - 11/14/2021 7:30:05 PM   
onomastikon

At present, I am unable to play DW:U because the UI is illegible. I cannot get the resolution to make the UI readable and it cannot be adjusted in-game; attempting to change via editing the startup.ini directly has no effect for me.

Will DW2 have a setting to be able to change the scale, font, and size of the UI elements?
Post #: 1
RE: UI question - 11/14/2021 10:28:44 PM   
zgrssd

This is the Forum for Distant Worlds 2, a game still in development.

Distant Worlds Universe was just "Distant Worlds 1 + all DLC". DW1 has it's own forum.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 11/14/2021 10:29:54 PM >

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 2
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 2:11:41 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: onomastikon
At present, I am unable to play DW:U because the UI is illegible. I cannot get the resolution to make the UI readable and it cannot be adjusted in-game; attempting to change via editing the startup.ini directly has no effect for me.

Will DW2 have a setting to be able to change the scale, font, and size of the UI elements?

Yes, the UI in DW2 is scaleable. You can select how big you want text and buttons, etc.

You need to select a size that works with your screen resolution - obviously the bigger the size, the more room everything takes. The default size is very legible, but you can increase further if you want.

Post #: 3
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 7:53:48 AM   
onomastikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

Yes, the UI in DW2 is scaleable. You can select how big you want text and buttons, etc.

You need to select a size that works with your screen resolution - obviously the bigger the size, the more room everything takes. The default size is very legible, but you can increase further if you want.

Thank you elliotg, that is reassuring information.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 4
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 8:51:45 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

I posted a workaround on the dwu forums for getting the ui to display properly on higher resolutions.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4752207

Post #: 5
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 9:33:14 AM   
onomastikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

I posted a workaround on the dwu forums for getting the ui to display properly on higher resolutions.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4752207

Thank you very, very much. I read your instructions and the thread.
I'm sorry, I'm not very tech savvy. While not a complete idiot otherwise, I am unsure if I can implement this correctly. Can you please let me know if it is ok if I reply here or would you prefer if I reply in the other thread or by PM?
- Do you mean make a shortcut of the game executable, not the launcher (right?), from the folder (I have it on GOG so I should probably find it there, where I have found the startup.ini?
- I make a shortcut and place it where I like. I make sure the exe is executable as admin.
- I go to the "compatibility" tab and check the box "run as admin".

Now I want to check the "override high dpi scaling behavior" box, but it is greyed out. It is already checked btw. I cannot select anything on that drop down menu because it is greyed out. I am not sure why. The greyed out dropdown selector says "application".
Can you advise?
I am playing on Windows 10 19" gaming laptop with "1980x1080 (recommended)" on.

thank you very much!

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 6
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 9:45:39 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Ah well if you are running 1080p then you are already at the games optimal resolution. My fix was for those on 2k or 4k panels and wouldn't do anything for you anyways. As to the greyed out part that seems to be an issue with the gog version and not the steam as per a poster in that thread. He solved it so you could pm him for the instructions.

Post #: 7
RE: UI question - 11/15/2021 10:51:03 AM   
onomastikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Ah well if you are running 1080p then you are already at the games optimal resolution. My fix was for those on 2k or 4k panels and wouldn't do anything for you anyways. As to the greyed out part that seems to be an issue with the gog version and not the steam as per a poster in that thread. He solved it so you could pm him for the instructions.

Thanks for the quick answer. If your workaround will not solve my problem then I will just leave it at that. I think I just have to learn to live with the situation that I cannot play this game, I did get it on sale and so 30 Euros or so is not the end of the world, even if I would like to play it...

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 8
RE: UI question - 12/7/2021 7:24:12 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

Outstanding news.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> UI question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll