Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

crowd funded update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> crowd funded update? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 5:41:53 PM   
jedwardpita

Veronica Mars had a crowd funded movie. It was successful because the fan base was devoted but small Doesn't WITP AE fit that description?

The update features I would include new data base interfaces (WITE2 would be the standard), AI to handle the Chinese, improved auto convoy and standard openings (units set to Kull or other standards which could then be adjusted). What features would you want in an update?
Post #: 1
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 6:08:38 PM   
RangerJoe

Why don't you look at the threads in the forum and just see how many times this has been asked and then read the answers.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jedwardpita)
Post #: 2
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 6:20:39 PM   
Yaab

From the top of my head:

Supply by nationality
Avgas
AKL class (in stock scenarios, all 500 ships)
CAS Mission button for aircraft
Napalm
Friendly fire
Ship crews
Jungle hexes blocking supplies propagation
Glide bombing ( I want it back!)
SPS 0 and naval Support fixed
More bases/LCUs/aircraft/ships (basically, RHS mod ported into stock minus its supply system)
More bomb loadouts for aircraft
Unpaved airstrips decaying due to rain/monsoon

...and million other things I can't remember

< Message edited by Yaab -- 11/17/2021 6:22:50 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 6:37:37 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: jedwardpita

Veronica Mars had a crowd funded movie. It was successful because the fan base was devoted but small Doesn't WITP AE fit that description?

The update features I would include new data base interfaces (WITE2 would be the standard), AI to handle the Chinese, improved auto convoy and standard openings (units set to Kull or other standards which could then be adjusted). What features would you want in an update?

And what do you think the cost of such an update would be?

Hint: whatever you're thinking, it's likely not enough.

As RangerJoe says, this has been done to death.

Also ignores the practicalities of trying to work with a decade old expansion of an even older game. Given the effort and cost involved, it would make considerably more sense to make a fresh start.

(in reply to jedwardpita)
Post #: 4
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 6:45:03 PM   
jedwardpita

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

From the top of my head:

Supply by nationality
Avgas
AKL class (in stock scenarios, all 500 ships)
CAS Mission button for aircraft
Napalm
Friendly fire
Ship crews
Jungle hexes blocking supplies propagation
Glide bombing ( I want it back!)
SPS 0 and naval Support fixed
More bases/LCUs/aircraft/ships (basically, RHS mod ported into stock minus its supply system)
More bomb loadouts for aircraft
Unpaved airstrips decaying due to rain/monsoon

...and million other things I can't remember

Thank you for your helpful comments Yaab.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 5
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 6:46:37 PM   
btd64

It won't happen. You would need access to the game code. And that is just not going to happen. Nice to think about though....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 6
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 7:17:21 PM   
Nomad

As stated it most likely could not be an update, but a completely new program.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 7
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/17/2021 11:47:50 PM   
ggeilman

I doubt you would even get people to agree on the basis for the update. I for one was less than impressed with WITE2. The air war is over complicated and oversimplified both at the same time. I still don't get what is wrong with air units? I didn't like WITW due to its air system but at least with the Strategic Air War it at least made some sense, but not on the eastern front. I would have preferred it to be handled separately and don't get me started on the supply system. I was all excited about the update and bought the deluxe edition with the hardback manual, but by the time it came I was already disillusioned. WITPAE is a grognard's dream.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 12:38:20 AM   
Zovs

I created an Air War document in the War Room thread in WitE2. I think the eastern front air war is pretty good.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 9
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 12:46:01 AM   
RangerJoe

I think that the best thing would be an updated manual . . .

I would pay for that.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 10
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 6:27:50 AM   
Alpha77

First game itself, manual and forum should be fixed then we can talk about such an idea imo

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 11
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 6:32:39 AM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: ggeilman

I doubt you would even get people to agree on the basis for the update. I for one was less than impressed with WITE2. The air war is over complicated and oversimplified both at the same time. I still don't get what is wrong with air units? I didn't like WITW due to its air system but at least with the Strategic Air War it at least made some sense, but not on the eastern front. I would have preferred it to be handled separately and don't get me started on the supply system. I was all excited about the update and bought the deluxe edition with the hardback manual, but by the time it came I was already disillusioned. WITPAE is a grognard's dream.

Ah thanks for the impression on thees games, from my research this seems correct mostly. WITE1 is perhaps still the best from the series, 2 needs some fixing still and WITW has the air issue. I do not have the game but watched some reviews and lets plays at YT and decided to give this a pass for now... but I will buy WITE1 if on sale perhaps

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/18/2021 6:33:56 AM >

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 12
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 8:59:32 AM   
LeeChard

My biggest desire would be an overhaul to an adaptive AI.
Probably an enormous task.
Next would be a windows based format which I believe would require a whole new game.
I can't say what that would cost but I doubt there are enough of us to fund that.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 13
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 1:20:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

First game itself, manual and forum should be fixed then we can talk about such an idea imo

The game is fine but that does not mean that you can't make a new one, the forum is fine if people ask the proper questions and be polite.

After all of the updates, a new manual would be nice.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 14
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/18/2021 11:09:18 PM   
Moltrey

Just to play devil's advocate here... while details are virtually non-existent and it doesn't SEEM likely, we had the CEO himself not rule it out just the other day:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnWargaming
Do you think it will be ever possible to have an updated manual like WitE?

It's certainly possible, but only likely if WITP:AE were to be updated or re-developed, or if a community member were interested in doing this as a volunteer project.

quote:

Commercial proposal: what about a WitP:AE for Dummies?
You have to spend lot of time finding useful informations about the game spread over thousands thread and not all of them are accurate. Also tons of infos are included in the AAR (I have skimmed some of them and there are pretty good advices about strategy and production).
If you can "hire" a veteran with several games under his belt that can produce a meaningfull guide could be an instant buy for lot of people.

I'd be willing to compensate for this if a community veteran is willing to step forward and take on such a project, to have a consolidated and up to date guide for beginners for WITP-AE.

Regards,

- Erik

Granted the discussion is more about a manual update, but Eric appears to be open to a possible remake. I also very clearly recall Alfred saying much the same in our last big "WITP 2" thread.
Of course the elephant in the room is just what would it take money-wise to entice them to go through all the trouble to gather a team and resources, decide how to fund it, etc.

Still doesn't seem likely, but if you had told me a decade ago the United States would have as many operating steam locomotives as we do today, I would have called you a nutjob.
So... yeah.

P.S. Not to mention I am certain is isn't lost on Erik that WITP:AE has 33k+ threads and over 919k posts, far and away the highest interest group of gamers that play Matrix games.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 11/18/2021 11:16:53 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 5:42:47 AM   
ninyure

A "star citizen" kind crowdfunding campaign where more generous donators would get a pilot or capitan named after them, would be very succesful, since many of us are willing to give much more than the nominal price of the game to see its development going. Give us the chance to spend our money ;)

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 16
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 7:50:43 AM   
Maallon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Just to play devil's advocate here... while details are virtually non-existent and it doesn't SEEM likely, we had the CEO himself not rule it out just the other day:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnWargaming
Do you think it will be ever possible to have an updated manual like WitE?

It's certainly possible, but only likely if WITP:AE were to be updated or re-developed, or if a community member were interested in doing this as a volunteer project.

quote:

Commercial proposal: what about a WitP:AE for Dummies?
You have to spend lot of time finding useful informations about the game spread over thousands thread and not all of them are accurate. Also tons of infos are included in the AAR (I have skimmed some of them and there are pretty good advices about strategy and production).
If you can "hire" a veteran with several games under his belt that can produce a meaningfull guide could be an instant buy for lot of people.

I'd be willing to compensate for this if a community veteran is willing to step forward and take on such a project, to have a consolidated and up to date guide for beginners for WITP-AE.

Regards,

- Erik

Granted the discussion is more about a manual update, but Eric appears to be open to a possible remake. I also very clearly recall Alfred saying much the same in our last big "WITP 2" thread.
Of course the elephant in the room is just what would it take money-wise to entice them to go through all the trouble to gather a team and resources, decide how to fund it, etc.

Still doesn't seem likely, but if you had told me a decade ago the United States would have as many operating steam locomotives as we do today, I would have called you a nutjob.
So... yeah.

P.S. Not to mention I am certain is isn't lost on Erik that WITP:AE has 33k+ threads and over 919k posts, far and away the highest interest group of gamers that play Matrix games.

I think the problem is still in the room that the engine is at it's limits, all in all the problems that were discussed in previous threads, that an update would face, haven't really gone away.
Also the fact that Erik likely saw this thread already and didn't respond to it in any way until now does also tell it's own story, me thinks.

Of course you are right that crazier things might have happened.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 17
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 7:54:41 AM   
Maallon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ninyure

A "star citizen" kind crowdfunding campaign where more generous donators would get a pilot or capitan named after them, would be very succesful, since many of us are willing to give much more than the nominal price of the game to see its development going. Give us the chance to spend our money ;)

Will I meet a captain ninyure saluting and ready for duty when I open up WITPAE the next time?
I get your idea, but I think in such a historical setting such as WITPAE this isn't really possible without destroying the immersion of the game. Star Citizen is a fantasy game after all so they can pull through with something like that.

(in reply to ninyure)
Post #: 18
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 10:30:10 AM   
Yaab

Waiting for a crowdfunded flashmob.

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 19
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 7:23:24 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
The game is fine but that does not mean that you can't make a new one, the forum is fine if people ask the proper questions and be polite.

After all of the updates, a new manual would be nice.

Manual needs update yes, or make a 2nd one which has all the new info and corrections which are now spread around severall text files. Game has still some issues that should be fixed. Forum is now better but was kind of "wild west" at times and it seemed no mod cared much about this... and I agree common courtesy should apply to everyone (also admins/mods or even more so for them as it will portay how much the company values the customers/fans)

If these issues are solved then I would think it over to participate in a crowd funding for potential AE2.

Edit, forum search STILL broken here does it work for others?? Does not work for months at least now, I wonder if MG is looking into all the issues

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/19/2021 8:37:29 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 8:16:15 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

I think the problem is still in the room that the engine is at it's limits, all in all the problems that were discussed in previous threads, that an update would face, haven't really gone away.
Also the fact that Erik likely saw this thread already and didn't respond to it in any way until now does also tell it's own story, me thinks.

Of course you are right that crazier things might have happened.

You know, the funny thing is that after all the roundy-round of activity in the last great WITP2 thread with Alfred taking part and more or less minimizing the chances of a follow-up and giving almost zero chance of a improvement of the existing game's code - he then went on to say (I am paraphrasing here): But if anyone is willing to come forward with the money Matrix will listen.

Uhhh... say what?! He spent all that time playing down the chance and then did a 180 at the end. I was flabbergasted to say the least. (This is where I got the Alfred input from my original post above).

So frankly, I don't know who or what to believe (or not) anymore when it comes to what circumstances it will take to make a new version of WITP happen.

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 21
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/19/2021 9:24:37 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

But if anyone is willing to come forward with the money Matrix will listen.

Uhhh... say what?! He spent all that time playing down the chance and then did a 180 at the end. I was flabbergasted to say the least. (This is where I got the Alfred input from my original post above).

So frankly, I don't know who or what to believe (or not) anymore when it comes to what circumstances it will take to make a new version of WITP happen.

Alfred always stated that he has some kind of good connection / relationship with the "devs". Which is one of the reasons he often gave so good (but also more theoretical) advise. So if Alred says something then there must be a chance that it can happen, I guess. These are good news imho Can you link to the thread you mean?

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/19/2021 9:28:47 PM >

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 22
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 12:07:08 AM   
Moltrey

I couldn't find it on this blasted forum. As a aside, I loathe the old software Matrix uses for our forum, it seriously needs an upgrade. The functions are so unintuitive it makes an etch-a-sketch look advanced.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 23
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 12:19:55 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

quote:

But if anyone is willing to come forward with the money Matrix will listen.

Alfred always stated that he has some kind of good connection / relationship with the "devs". Which is one of the reasons he often gave so good (but also more theoretical) advise. So if Alred says something then there must be a chance that it can happen, I guess. These are good news imho Can you link to the thread you mean?

Can someone please explain who Alfred is? Yes I know he knows a lot about the game but how is he connected to the game? Was he a part of the WITP to AE project? A Dev? How is he connected to the Devs? How does he speak for the game? I don't see him listed on the Dev team list? Not trying to start anything at all I just have no idea what his connection is or who he is? Just a smart player?

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 24
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 12:30:17 AM   
Alpha77

Tanaka you need to ask him or the devs/admin, I only know what he said so he seems "connected" in some way. I certainly remember he mentioned the "devs" often, but I never asked which devs he meant tbh Otherwise he is the best to make forum searches, manual references and has a big bunch of saved threads / bookmarks etc. I guess.

He is also one of the more polite members of the forum

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/20/2021 12:41:54 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 25
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 12:54:33 AM   
Nomad

I don't know the reason, but there was a time that Alfred had access to the private developers forum. I am quite sure he was not on the developer team.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 11/20/2021 12:55:00 AM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 26
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 1:45:33 AM   
BBfanboy

He mentioned being on the conference calls with the developers. I think he had the task to write the manual and needed to follow the details of how the developers programmed various things to try and describe it in the manual. Just my guess, but it offers a possible clue to Alfred's vehemence about using the manual.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 27
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 2:41:27 AM   
Alpha77

Interesting, but only speculation... he can explain it when he comes back.

Also perhaps a definitive statement by an admin would be good, to clear up IF there is a chance for AE2 and/or perhaps last update to AE1. Otherwise all this is a waste of time imo..

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 28
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 2:55:44 AM   
Nomad

I have a feeling that he will not be coming back.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 29
RE: crowd funded update? - 11/20/2021 11:55:03 AM   
RangerJoe

If I remember correctly, he was in some of the discussions and/or allowed to see them so he always refers to the manual or what the developers stated in a thread. That way, there is no violation of any non-disclosure or other leaking of information.

I do wish that he will return. I also wish that people would not antagonize him. A discussion is one thing, but personal attacks are another thing. If you do not want to take his advice, just leave it at that.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> crowd funded update? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI