Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

recommended new computers - not looking to spend a lot of money

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> recommended new computers - not looking to spend a lot of money Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
recommended new computers - not looking to spend a lot ... - 11/19/2021 10:55:15 PM   
spence

My present laptop is on its last legs so what would The Community recommend for a replacement. I don't need an especially fast computer since I don't play 1st person shooters or anything of that ilk. Be nice if it had an optical drive since I play movies sometimes when the wife watches "The Bachelor" or whatever but I guess external optical drives aren't that expensive.
Post #: 1
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/19/2021 10:57:03 PM   
RangerJoe

If you are eligible for an discounts then look at those first. If you are a US Military veteran, then there are other options as well.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/20/2021 12:02:34 AM   
Voltreffer

I would recommend watching Slickdeals like a hawk over the next week as we approach "Black Friday" on the 26th and "Cyber Monday" on the 29th. It's one of the best sources out there for catching a good deal, and the next week or so is one of the best times of the year to do so.

Some other miscellania:
* Consider a desktop unless you really need the portability of a laptop
* Installing Linux or a stripped-down version of Windows on your laptop can give it a life extension
* There are external USB optical drives available; if your best option for a computer lacks the optical drive, you can easily plug one in when you need it

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/20/2021 1:27:12 AM   
Alpha77

Second the desktop - you can use a big monitor then also. And desktops can be easier upgraded and repaired.

You do not need a top pc for games like AE and also not expensive graphics. But get a SSD this helps a lot, and a HD for storage

(in reply to Voltreffer)
Post #: 4
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/20/2021 4:02:32 AM   
Nomad

Third the desktop versus the laptop computer.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 5
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/20/2021 7:38:23 AM   
Maallon

Fourth for the desktop, it is almost always more value for your money.
Also upgrading it later is far easier.

But if you want for example move your PC regularly between your desk and your TV to watch a movie, then a laptop might still be the better choice.

Also definitely +1 on SSD, it is probably the single most meaningful upgrade you can get for your PC nowadays.
The HDD is the only component in a PC that still works mechanically as opposed to electrically, this forms a bottleneck in almost every modern computer system as the rest of the PC is much faster than the HDD and constantly needs to wait for it's inputs and outputs.

Something I would also recommend is to go for minimum 6-8GB of RAM. While WITPAE doesn't need all that much RAM, in the last years Windows has started to use much more RAM for it's own operation, especially since Windows 10. Also most browsers currently tend to grab 1-2GB of RAM on average, so there will be not that much left if you go for just 4GB RAM.

Lastly if you find yourself a good deal, go to the internet and read some reviews about the machine and take the negative points seriously, there is sometimes a very good reason why a particular machine is so cheap....

< Message edited by Maallon -- 11/20/2021 7:39:08 AM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 6
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/20/2021 9:22:31 AM   
Sardaukar

+1 on SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

This game is not very hard on graphics drivers, so you could get on with pretty basic one.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 7
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/21/2021 2:16:21 AM   
Dili

One for Laptop, unless you are static. Even at home i prefer laptop, go to balcony etc. Also if you got an holiday, see family etc.

I don't think anyone still sells laptops with HDD's in case you run into one just avoid like the plague. For SSD prefer those with NVMe standard.
Screen try to get at least 300 nits and 72% NTSC or 100% sRGB color.
8 GB RAM minimum.
Most laptops do not come with optical drives any more and do not forget the optical disks will stop working. If you did not have made yet a backup of your collection it is time to start. Put that in a NAS with a backup elsewhere and see them trough your home network.

Since you did not say you use any specific application get a laptop without a dedicated GPU, it will be cheaper. Today the AMD/Intel laptop motherboards already came with a weak GPU in the board. But if they are current models they are competent enough for what you said you need.

Final: any model that ends in your possible buy list put that specific model in Google or other engine search and find reviews and opinions. Do not buy without doing that.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 8
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/21/2021 11:26:06 AM   
Denniss

Avoid OEM computers like Dell or HP, they often use non-standard components that can't be upgraded later except for their own versions
optical drives ar best used as external verison nowadays

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 9
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/21/2021 2:14:25 PM   
DonH58

I recently upgraded from a AMD AM3 FX-Series FX-8350, 16gb ram Socket AM3 Gigabyte MB, using an old hard drive to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, ASUS AM4 motherboard, 32gb ram, and a SSD card for roughly $600 a little over my budget but worth it.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus MB
Radeon Rx 570 8GB Graphics Card
T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB RAM
SSD 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2
Win 10

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 10
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/21/2021 2:17:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Avoid OEM computers like Dell or HP, they often use non-standard components that can't be upgraded later except for their own versions
optical drives ar best used as external verison nowadays

This has not been my experience. Big brand name computer makers know that upgradeability is part of what users look for when buying. Since the PC came out around 1985, my Federal Government workplaces used Dell as their standard and had no problems upgrading them when needed (bigger hard drives mostly, more RAM for AutoCAD, etc.). I also have had Dells at home and had no problems upgrading them with additional Ram, video cards and recently an SSD.

I did get an acquaintance a locally assembled computer years back because it had a good price and a warranty. But the components were cheap and failed after a year and a half and the company was no longer in business - so much for warranty. I buy brand name now, not being willing to research all the components for a self-build.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 11
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/22/2021 2:01:31 AM   
Dili

What is the ballpark you trying to spend spence?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/22/2021 8:58:04 PM   
Greybriar

Fifth for the desktop. I had only used desktops prior to the purchase of a tablet a number of years ago and my laptop a few years ago. I rarely use the latter two and hate every moment I spend on the laptop.

You can get a lot of money wrapped up in a computer. Unless you are sticking to older PC games, I would go with the most up-to-date build I could afford. Otherwise your new PC will become out of date long before you've saved up enough money to buy another one.

On the other hand, if you're going to be playing older computer games whose system requirements are comparatively minimal, buying a decent PC on sale from a reputable source will save you a lot of money.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 1:38:51 AM   
Sardaukar

I travel a lot, so laptop is the only option for me.

I have Ryzen 7 5800H, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 3700 (8GB) and 1 Tb SSD.

Really over the top for WitP-AE, but got quite sweet discount on it (1700€ -> 1400), though it is still quite expensive. But just wanted good gaming laptop for other games...that I have way too many and have no time to play.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 14
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 1:39:53 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Really over the top for WitP-AE, but got quite sweet discount on it (1700€ -> 1400), though it is still quite expensive. But just wanted good gaming laptop for other games...that I have way too many and have no time to play.

Then quit traveling!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 1:46:29 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Then quit traveling!

One day when I retire. But unfortunately (or fortunately), that is still few years away.

But must say, this is pretty good gear for my purposes.

I just checked that I own 66 games on GOG...30 on Steam and quite a few others like from Matrix and Battlefront...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 6:41:49 AM   
Yaab

You can win this war with a Dell laptop with a low-power i3 CPU.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 11/23/2021 6:54:50 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 6:50:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

You don't need a high-power computer to play this game, but I've had two new computers since I started playing the game and turn processing has been noticeably quicker each time.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 18
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/23/2021 8:28:56 AM   
Tailspintommy

Much like Sardaukar, I work away from home so the laptop option makes sense.
Had this one 3 years now and no complaints.
As a confirmed Luddite, I need a step by step to do pretty much anything beyond switching on and logging in. I'm not far past the level of thinking a website is that dark corner of the shed, where the spiders live. This lack of knowledge makes me easy prey for any salesman wanting to shift a lemon.
Knowing enough to know you know nothing isn't such a bad base to work from. Building my own system was a non-starter but with the help of Google and asking lots of questions, I figured out which bits were the most important and where the money needed to be spent.
I wanted a high spec, functional machine, capable of running a sim like Rise of Flight and IL2, a RPG like Skyrim, or any of the Silent Hunter series plus mods, with everything maxed out.. What I DIDN'T want, was all the flashing lights and "Bling" which normally come with gaming machines and make them look like a fairground ride.
In the end, I commissioned a company to custom build my laptop with top end parts, shoehorned into a regular case. Their advice was invaluable, like not to skimp on the cooling.. I can tell when this thing is working hard by the way it sucks air.
No, it won't last long playing games on battery power so being able to keep it plugged in is a consideration and it certainly wasn't a cheap option but it does what I wanted without showing signs of struggle so I'm happy and would go the same route in future, if/when I need to upgrade.

"Never fire a shot before coffee"

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 19
RE: recommended new computers - not looking to spend a ... - 11/25/2021 7:47:35 PM   
Dili

Lenovo Legion series, Clevos and Tongfang chassis(that appearing under several brands) are gaming laptops that are not conspicuous. Some other like Asus, Acer, MSI also have models.

(in reply to Tailspintommy)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> recommended new computers - not looking to spend a lot of money Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI