Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The World at War ELO Tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: The World at War ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/22/2021 11:46:40 PM   
oldAHgamer

Looking for a new ELO game, happy to play either side, 1939 start, usual rules.

(in reply to oldAHgamer)
Post #: 721
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/23/2021 5:23:17 AM   
KlasE

I have set up a game, me as axis.
Password: 2021

Can usually do 1-2 turns per day.

No diplo on majors
No diplo on Bulgaria
No DoW against USSR before 1941.

(in reply to oldAHgamer)
Post #: 722
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/24/2021 2:21:29 AM   
oldAHgamer

sounds good - I'll start the game tomorrow - good luck!

(in reply to KlasE)
Post #: 723
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/24/2021 7:46:27 AM   
DmitryN

Passuna (allies) lost to DmitryN (axis) (He just did not appeared for 2 month being in absolutely loosing position March 1942. Start of the game was reported here, so I just inform).

(in reply to oldAHgamer)
Post #: 724
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/24/2021 9:19:51 PM   
EarlyDoors

Game Started: SCOldGamer (Axis) v Earlydoors (Allied)

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to DmitryN)
Post #: 725
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/25/2021 12:30:29 PM   
KlasE

New ELO game started.

KlasE (Axis) vs OldAHgamer (Allies)

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 726
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/26/2021 5:24:58 AM   
DmitryN

Gillesthib (Axis) lost to DmitryN (allied). Axis resigned aug 1941, France is still in game, soviet troops near Berlin

(in reply to KlasE)
Post #: 727
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/26/2021 2:04:42 PM   
EarlyDoors

ELO Rankings November update http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/

Overall
=======
Total Axis 111
Total Allies 116

Players of the Month
--------------------
DmitryN 4 wins out of 5
KlasE 3 out of 3

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 728
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/29/2021 11:57:35 AM   
Taifun

quote:

Overall
=======
Total Axis 111
Total Allies 116

Thanks EarlyDoors!
After playing the new version 12.0 I get the impression that the USSR is stronger (much more historically accurate and realistic) and the Axis task much harder. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total Allies count go up fast. No Axis medium level player will win over a veteran defending with the Allies and will have a hard time against a similarly skilled Allied opponent: time will tell

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/29/2021 11:59:43 AM >

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 729
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 11/30/2021 2:56:44 AM   
redrum68

quote:

ORIGINAL: redrum68
New ELO game started:

Taifun (Axis) vs redrum68 (Allies)

Taifun (Axis) defeats redrum68 (Allies) in June 1942. GG and very well played by Taifun.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun
Thanks EarlyDoors!
After playing the new version 12.0 I get the impression that the USSR is stronger (much more historically accurate and realistic) and the Axis task much harder. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total Allies count go up fast. No Axis medium level player will win over a veteran defending with the Allies and will have a hard time against a similarly skilled Allied opponent: time will tell

This is probably true at lower/intermediate levels but not sure I agree against good Axis players though hopefully better Allied players prove me wrong :)

I decided to concede as it became clear at least Stalingrad, Voronezh, Saratov, and the Caucasus will fall by the end of 1942 with pretty much all of the Axis panzers, paratroopers, and bombers concentrated in the south. This will pretty much cripple the USSR economy and then Moscow, Kuybyshev, and Perm will fall in 1943. Ultimately, I don't really see how the Allies can win against a top Axis player without close to perfect play and a lot of luck.

I'll highlight a few of the mistakes I made as well as some of the interesting events:
- German 1939 invasion of France/Belgium and Italy joining very early made it very costly for the Allies to hold out til Summer even with significant UK investment
- Germany chose not to invade the Netherlands or Denmark to minimize USA/USSR mobilization (USA stayed below 40% for a very long time preventing the convoy route to UK)
- Axis chose to invest very little in Africa which led to the Allies capturing all of north and east Africa very quickly but allowed them to focus all their key forces on the USSR
- This led to my first major mistake which was choosing to reinforce Yugoslavia once they went to war with Germany and I landed something like 15-20 units. While Yugoslavia quickly surrendered to Germany, I was able to hold out along the coast for about a year and eventually capture Albania but at an incredibly high cost where it only distracted around a handful of Axis units and 1 panzer. I didn't know what else to do with all the Allied units sitting in Africa but this was probably not the best idea as supply was terrible and it was difficult to control the seas around it against all the Axis airforces (maritime bombers are insanely strong early game especially in the Med).
- Barbarossa was delayed until summer 1941 due to some combination of France holding out for a while and the Yugoslavia invasion but not really enough to make a difference
- Japan DoW on USSR same turn as Germany and used the strategic bomber tactics that were highlighted in another thread to massively delay the Soviet Far East reinforcements (best units the USSR has in 1941) from operating to the Eastern Front (this is a brutally effective tactic that in any future games will house rule that Japan can't DoW on USSR until its at war with USA)
- Second major mistake was trying to defend aggressively with the USSR losing more units than necessary in the opening turns. While this did especially in the North and Center slow the Axis down (I still comfortably held Pskov and Smolensk in 1942) it made little difference and lost more units than I could afford. I also needed to build more forts in the south and less around Smolensk/Moscow.
- At the end of 1941, things looked ok for the USSR with them holding Riga to Smolensk to Rostov and the Axis splitting their panzers with a few in the north/center and the rest in the south.
- The third major mistake was in spring 1942 when the Axis decided to concentrate all their panzers/bombers in the south and the panzerball is essentially unstoppable crushing any units anywhere near them and around 3000 MP USSR losses over 2 consecutive turns leaving most of the south wide open. I should have probably backed up even further than I did to try to minimize losses and not counter attacked as much (did destroy 2 panzers but wasn't worth it). In the end, not sure this would have mattered much as you can only run for so long before you are giving up too much income to be competitive.
- China held fairly well and still controlled Kunming (hump airlift) and Chungking though this is mostly due to Japan deciding to avoid the USA mobilization hit by limiting their advances. China got IW 2 very late in Spring 1942 causing a lot of extra losses. Japan instead invested a lot into its air and naval capacity and executed a incredible opening DoW against the USA by crushing Pearl Harbor and having pretty much all the south Pacific and southeast Asia nations surrender in early 1942 (including Burma, Malaya, DEI, Philippines, etc). This allowed them to then dominate the Indian Ocean and stop the USA aid to USSR through Persia. The USA/UK moved a good portion of their airforces to combat this but 2 turns in a row of sandstorms in NW India left them incapable of doing anything and being sitting ducks.
- Axis naval gameplay was incredibly efficient and they had lost very few ships so far though hadn't caused very many convoy losses either. Eventually combined UK/USA navies should have been able to contain them but it would take some time especially in the Indian Ocean as its so far away.

A few recommended balance changes (these should have little to no impact on low/intermediate level games):
1. House rule: Japan can't DoW on USSR til its at war with USA
2. Need to shift more of the USSR income to the north/center away from south so Axis can't just go all south (changes to add the USA aid through Persia make this even worse)
3. Soviet Winter should be expanded a bit so its harder for them to avoid in Baltics and Ukraine
4. Should be more penalties for Axis DoW on Vichy France after USA has joined (something like Algiers/Tunisia join Allies and maybe more starting units for Vichy France around Vichy)
5. Should adjust Japan advancing in China causing USA mobilization to include some cities in the south otherwise its too easy for them to avoid
6. Maritime Bombers cost should be increased from 150 to 200-250 MPP as they are really strong for a cheap price especially early game when fighter and AA levels are low
7. Vladivostok should be a primary supply so that it isn't so easy to cut its supply to level 5
8. Should be more deterrents to Germany invading Belgium/France in 1939 like a bit stronger starting forces for France but less income as against a good player they are already crippled by the time they get their 2nd HQ and tank unit
9. USA to UK convoy mobilization should be lower from 40% to 35% so it isn't as easily delayed
10. Weather sucks and getting sandstorms which I think are 10-15% chance 2 turns in a row is just brutal (I doubt anything really changes about weather at this point but it definitely leads to a lot of frustration in many close games)

I'm sure Taifun can add his thoughts and highlight more of my mistakes :)

< Message edited by redrum68 -- 11/30/2021 4:03:03 AM >

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 730
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 5:21:12 AM   
EarlyDoors

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

Game ended with Axis resignation in October 1940
France very bloodied, but un-bowed

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 731
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 8:48:28 AM   
DmitryN

SCOld Gamer (Axis) lost to Dmitry N (allies)
Axis resigned September 1940 with France still in game and all Italian navy lost (both with minimal UK loses)

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 732
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 9:00:53 AM   
Marcinos1985

Marcinos1985(Axis) vs SCOLDGAMER (Allies) game started few days ago.

(in reply to DmitryN)
Post #: 733
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 9:25:30 AM   
Marcinos1985

@redrum
Lots of interesting insight, thank you. There are a lot of interesting points, but I believe recent patches weren't tested enough to jump on the gun. I'd say only the case with JAP STR bombers requires serious attention and should be ruled out by gentlemen's agreement. Rest may be put under discussion, balance threads are always great to participate in.
Still, I'd be cautious with overanalyzing one game. You faced a top player who played a heavy optimized cookie cutter, this requires a play with little mistakes, and you yourself mentioned 2 major ones. What is more, you didn't write about your USSR and US choices, and these are almost always game decisive. In fact, getting RUS on the brink in late 1942 is probably only chance for Axis to win in this game, if they are behind schedule then USA will drop a hammer in 1943.
I am curious what Taifun thinks, because several posts earlier he mentioned Allies may have an advantage now and I think he may be right.

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 734
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 2:38:06 PM   
redrum68

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcinos1985
@redrum
Lots of interesting insight, thank you. There are a lot of interesting points, but I believe recent patches weren't tested enough to jump on the gun. I'd say only the case with JAP STR bombers requires serious attention and should be ruled out by gentlemen's agreement. Rest may be put under discussion, balance threads are always great to participate in.
Still, I'd be cautious with overanalyzing one game. You faced a top player who played a heavy optimized cookie cutter, this requires a play with little mistakes, and you yourself mentioned 2 major ones. What is more, you didn't write about your USSR and US choices, and these are almost always game decisive. In fact, getting RUS on the brink in late 1942 is probably only chance for Axis to win in this game, if they are behind schedule then USA will drop a hammer in 1943.
I am curious what Taifun thinks, because several posts earlier he mentioned Allies may have an advantage now and I think he may be right.

Generally agree that any changes should be based on a number of games and others thoughts just laying out my experience for others to compare to. Though a few of the recommendations are IMO just closing loop holes (soviet winter, japan advance causing USA mobilization, etc).

Not much more to say about USSR beyond I probably defended a bit too aggressively. I went with a pretty standard approach focusing on infantry > AA > AT > tanks and put most of my units in the south (probably should have put even more). Only new purchases were garrisons, AA, and AT as USSR was pretty poor due to Taifun managing mobilization very well. The Japan strategic bomber gambit made any dnepr defense very short lived as really needed those 5 strong units there. I think I got IW2 late 1941 or early 1942 which I think is a bit later than average and upgraded all my infantry during the winter. With IW2 and some AT/tanks I was able to defend Rostov area for a few turns in spring 1942 against 4-5 panzers just conceding a few hexes each turn but once he operated all his panzers from the north/center then it was too much to do anything about.

USA was also really poor due to Taifun managing mobilization very well. I was used to having more MPP to spend on building units but had purchased very few units before the war started. My plan was to first focus on navy/air to contain Japan and ensure Lend Lease and Persia aid would stay open as much as possible (Vlad fell very quickly and I don't think there is really anyway currently to defend it especially if Japan uses strat bombers). Then I was planning to invade either France, Spain, or Italy probably in early 1943 as that is when I'd probably have enough units to make a significant landing. Portugal had joined the Allies due to a lucky roll on the Portugal Timor event (I think its 15%) so I was leaning towards invading Spain through Portugal but depended on where I felt this defenses were the weakest.

If there are other things you are interested in knowing just let me know. I'm still waiting for a top level AAR where Allies actually win :)

< Message edited by redrum68 -- 11/30/2021 2:52:03 PM >

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 735
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 2:54:50 PM   
Taifun

After a short pause I restarted playing WAW last August 2021. I played 5 games: the first 3 as Allies (2 losses) and the last 2 as Axis (2 victories). So the Axis won 4 out of 5 games. This last game against redrum68 has been a very challenging game. He is a first class opponent and will soon climb to the top of the ELO ranking without a doubt. He has a very detailed knowledge of the scripts, plays very meticulously, studying every little detail and makes excellent use of the terrain in defensive positions… I am exhausted and this will be my last game for many months as my wife has threatened to destroy my computer…

I am thinking of making a short AAR of our last game. I have great pics...

A very difficult French campaign. After the French surrendered September 1940 the British refused to leave the continent and General Montgomery stubbornly defended Brest and St Malo until May 1941. The Germans suffered a significant number of losses and it was soon clear that no troops could be spared for Libya and an African adventure. I could not buy a single artillery unit or bomber, just managing to buy and replenish 7 panzerkorps (1 in Yugoslavia until game end).

Yugoslavia was attacked April 1941 but no less than 12 Allied units landed via Split and Dubovnik with 2 HQs, tanks and AT units.

Barbarossa had to be delayed until August 1st 1941. Initially the Japanese were supposed to attack simultaneously the West coast of the USA but progress in China was very slow due to a superb defense by redrum68. The USA attack plan was soon discarded as no troops could be spared for the expedition in time.

With only 2 turns of good weather the progress in the North and Central parts of the Russian front was limited. Only Siauliai near Riga and Minsk were captured.

In the south I noticed that there were no fortifications, only 1 Soviet engineer seems to be available, and had fortified the Smolensk and Moscow regions. Thanks to the Japanese bombers attacking from Siberia, no main USSR reinforcements were available, and we crossed the Dnepr in force across Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk reaching Kharkov as the year ended.

I really thought that I could not win this game. When the USA entered the war in January 1942 the USSR was receiving +800 MMPs per turn and Germany only 600 MPPs. In Yugoslavia the Allies still had around 10 units.

Germany called Japan for help in 1942. The new 12.0 changes had a great effect in the German supply as our troops advanced in the USSR. All cities and towns took many turns to arrive to level 5-6 supply. Japan captured all mayor Asiatic/Pacific objectives in 2 turns and by spring 1942 controlled the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

Making no progress in the North and Central part of the Russian front, all panzerkorps (6) were sent to the south in May. Rostov fell in June, Krasnodar in July. Japan blocked the Persian Gulf and the US MMPs stopped arriving via Persia.

I fell confident that Stalingrad and Baku could be captured before the years end… but the issue was still very much in doubt. The Allies had more units than the Axis (51% vs 49%, only 70 German units vs 50+ Russians) in July 1942 and the German economy was weak with around 680 MPPs only per turn. The Japanese were stretched to the limit from Gulf of Aden, Burma, China and the Pacific with only 60 land units. The Capital Chunking remained to be captured… A great game and a great opponent !

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/30/2021 2:59:35 PM >

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 736
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 3:03:42 PM   
Taifun

As I said before, in this new versions 12.0-13.0, I think that only a skilled Axis player will defeat the Allied forces. WAW is the best WWII game!

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 737
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 11/30/2021 3:29:18 PM   
EarlyDoors

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

After a short pause I restarted playing WAW last August 2021. I played 5 games: the first 3 as Allies (2 losses) and the last 2 as Axis (2 victories). So the Axis won 4 out of 5 games. This last game against redrum68 has been a very challenging game. He is a first class opponent and will soon climb to the top of the ELO ranking without a doubt. He has a very detailed knowledge of the scripts, plays very meticulously, studying every little detail and makes excellent use of the terrain in defensive positions… I am exhausted and this will be my last game for many months as my wife has threatened to destroy my computer…

turn-based war is hell, my friend

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 738
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/1/2021 11:20:59 AM   
petedalby

quote:

I'm sure Taifun can add his thoughts and highlight more of my mistakes :)

Having read Taifun's brief AAR it seems you played an excellent game - well done. The only mistake I think you may have made was in conceding. All the time Russia is in the game I think the Allies have a chance. It's a long game and the Allies just get stronger. Allied invasions of France & Italy will boost USSR morale and help them stay in the game longer.

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 739
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/1/2021 2:23:24 PM   
redrum68

quote:

ORIGINAL: petedalby
Having read Taifun's brief AAR it seems you played an excellent game - well done. The only mistake I think you may have made was in conceding. All the time Russia is in the game I think the Allies have a chance. It's a long game and the Allies just get stronger. Allied invasions of France & Italy will boost USSR morale and help them stay in the game longer.

I think the bigger issue for the USSR is income/capitals less so morale. Losing Caucasus would be something like 250-300 MPP loss given the oil wells, cities, and Persia aid. This would put USSR income down to something like 400-500 while Germany would gain quite a bit from the oil wells and be up around 800-900. While I think I could have a decent Allied invasion in 1943 it would probably grind to a stalemate and only distract a few panzers or distract more and get pushed back into the ocean. As long as Germany kept the majority of its panzers in the USSR then they can capture all 3 USSR capitals in 1943. The timing in the USSR is actually very close to Taifun's most recent AAR against Dimitry. Ultimately I think the game is decided in the Caucasus in 1942 right now, whoever holds that ultimately wins barring some pretty crazy results elsewhere.

(in reply to petedalby)
Post #: 740
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/1/2021 5:39:38 PM   
Old_Shane

New game - Ralaric (Allies) vs Old_Shane (Axis)

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 741
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/2/2021 5:58:47 PM   
DmitryN

DmitryN (Axis) won against LoneRunner (allies)

One of the most interesting games I ever had. Will give quick ARR here.

Easy fast France. Allied did not invest in this campaign and evacuated UK forces fast. However they made huge and smart investments in Strategy bombers and sea blockade. I guess that the whole game Germany received about 100 mpps less each turn. No convoy routes ever worked. All German ports of convoys were constantly under 5 and a lot of factories were constantly bombed. I guess in total even “all in” strategy in France for allies could not make so much damage to Germans as this constant bombing.

Egypt finally fell with significant German loses, but no progress to middle east was made. Don’t know why (and it was defiantly allies mistake) fast no allies troops were send to east Africa and Italians took it all.

Japan was pushing “all in” China buying mobility for vast part of infantry and making very intensive attack all the time on the other hand Chinese defense was not very good planned, some Chinese troops were surrounded near Chungking and China fell summer 1942, which was very strong help for Axis.

Russia (the most interesting part). LoneRunner organized brilliant defense, no Russian units were surrounded and very few were really killed. Russians always withdrawn wounded units with sharp counterattacks. Each time Russian troops retreated on well-prepared defense lines. Strengthenings were on Dniepr, Don Volga, Moscow Ural etc. Russian always had 70+ units. Germans were pushing ahead very costly.
Japan helped with invasion to Russia both from Siberia and middle Asia, sending best infantry and vast part of aviation. And faced one of the most suprising counter attacks ever: all Russian tanks with infantry and mechanized attaked Japanese troops in middle Asia killing HQ, 4 bombers , artillery and 7-8 land units forcing Japan go back to China. It was very good executed and totally surprising to me.
When the last third Russian capital fell to Germans (fall 1943) Russians still had about 60 units. So USSR continued to fight even without any capitals for about 10 turns.

Japan was also trying to invade in India, but because of allies superiority in aviation and help of some UK land troops Japan had heavy loses with no progress at all.

West Europe.

Axis made quite efficient fleet trick. In summer 1941 Italian fleet began to go out of Gibraltar, and allied moved their carriers that direction. In this moment all the german navy with support of maritime bombers went north to arctic convoys. Quite an interesting and intensive sea battle which finally caused loss of all the German-Italian fleet but was also very costly for allies and blocked the convoys for few turns.

First allied landing in France was summer 1942 or so but the units were withdrawn as soon as German panzers came. I guess that here LoneRunners carefulness played with him bad joke. In that moment Germans had very hard fight for Moscow and very little money. Some period I could not even afford investments to next tank/fighters researches. If allied continued to send everything they had to France I doubt that Germans could finally overcome USSR near Moscow and Stalingrad.

Next very strong and well planed landing were made in north Germany and France summer 1943 when Germans were already near Ural on Russian front. And again after some loses and panzer attacks allies withdrown their troops from the continent. This was definitely the mistake. I guess allies had all the chances to stabilize Russian front if sacrificing some USA/UK troops in Europe but they did not.

Shortly after this USA troops invaded Italy and took all south Italy and Libya very fast. Italy was 1 step from surrender with morale 20+. BUT all the Japan navy came to Mediterranean. Having surprise effect of first strikes and some luck in weather with couple of turns when allied aviation had rains an German not, Japan fleet with very hard loses destroyed fast all the allied navy and some transports in Mediterranean and also destroyed American ports and supply in Italy. Italy was saved in war and US troops in Italy were doomed.

As it cleared out soon vast part of US navy was in the pacific with about 20 land units ready to land in Japan Korea. Japan was really weak as had all the fleet in Mediterranean and lost tons of land troops in Russia and India. But I was expecting the attack holding vast part of troops in Japan on the island. So it could not be easy kill.

In that moment USSR finally surrendered, with 50+ units and about 50% morale. I don’t know how it works. But I guess after win on Mediterranean theater I was anyway able to kill another 20 Russian units before Japan surrender.

In this moment allied resigned.

Summing up the story. With such brilliant defense in Russia and constant strategic bombing of Europe Axis should not win at all.
But: (1) some allies mistakes in China allowed early Japan input in Russia;
(2) Allies were too careful and made absolute unreasonable and expensive withdrawals when they could push Germany;
(3) Japan fleet attack was lucky and very well performed;
(4) on the final stage US split both fleet and army on 2 invasions Europe and Japan which was also the mistake. If all US navy and forces were in Europe Japan fleet could not reach such an effect and Italy would be knocked out.

Many thanks to LoneRunner for the game.

< Message edited by DmitryN -- 12/2/2021 6:06:44 PM >

(in reply to Old_Shane)
Post #: 742
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/3/2021 5:22:15 PM   
LoneRunner

Thank you for the game Dmitry. Yes, it was very interesting and a lot of fun, even though I lost.

Dmitry is an excellent opponent. Ferocious on the attack. His panzers repeatedly slammed into my Russian defenses regardless of losses. Everytime I thought he would back off to rebuild, he would attack again, even with half strength units. He rarely allowed me a chance to refit and reorganize, keeping the Russians constantly falling back to the next line. I think he lost about 12 tanks and lots of infantry, but those losses didn't seem to slow him down.

Russia surrendered in April 44, about ten turns after the last capital, Perm, fell. Even though Russia had lost all three capitals, I was surprised by the surrender. Russian morale was just under 50% at the time of the surrender and almost 60 units (land and air) were left within Russian borders. Here's a quote from the manual regarding surrendering nations:

Every turn after a country loses its Capital (or last Capital if it had more than one) there will be a check to see if it carries on fighting. The chance that it will carry on fighting depends on the number of units it has left within its own borders, as follows:
§ Major Country Surrender = 3% * number of remaining units within the home country
§ Minor Country Surrender = 6% * number of remaining units within the home countr
y

I interpret that wording to mean that Russia will not surrender if more than 33 Russian units exist within its borders. But apparently some other factors come into play. Perhaps Hubert or Bill can provide more information on surrender requirements for majors.

Dmitry's Mediterranean attack was awesome. He committed just about the entire Japanese navy to the Med. And he absolutely crushed the combined USA/UK fleet, sinking five carriers and multiple other capital ships, while only losing one carrier and maybe a couple other ships. He surprised me turn after turn with skillful combined strikes from carriers and capital ships, sinking ships that I thought were perfectly safe behind screens. Wow, well done Dmitry.

And he's right, the Japanese attack saved Italy from the brink of surrender. Italy was teetering at 28% morale. One more city surrender and Mussolini would be packing his bags.

Weather did play a major role in the Med battle. When the Japanese fleet sailed into the Med, I saw a perfect opportunity and operated fighters and maritime bombers from around the globe into Italy, Libya, Cyprus, Palestine, and Transjordan. I figured the Med would become a killing ground, finally ending the Japanese threat.

Then the weather turned. For two months my air fleets on land hunkered under a series of rain and dust storms while the weather was clear on the waters of the Med. Without fighter cover and the ability to strike back, Japanese carriers and battleships massacred the Allied fleet. I think I got a total of three attacks with maritime bombers.

In my opinion weather luck is a big problem with WaW. Weather effects are too harsh. Too black and white, especially for air power. Either you can fly or you can't. And rain, snow, dust storms can last for months. Very unrealistic.

However, Dmitry is right, I lost the game, not in the Med, but on the beaches of Northern Europe. My second front started Spring 1943. A massive invasion force simultaneously hit France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. I felt Russia was on the ropes and I had to get Germany's attention.

Initially the invasion went well. I captured Hamburg, Bremen, The Hague, Amsterdam, Lille, Caen, and Le Havre. Within a turn Hamburg and The Hague attained level five supply and reinforcements poured in.

However, I'll bet a lot of experienced players see my problem. The invasion was spread too thin.

Reinforcement to Western Europe was cut off by strategic bombers, so Dmitry responded to the crisis with expert placement of the only units available, anti-air units. And they were tough. Key points like Antwerp and Dusseldorf were tenaciously defended. As a result, Dmitry effectively contained Allied beachheads and the Allies ended up in isolated pockets along the entire north European coast. In retrospect, I should have concentrated the entire assault between The Hague and Hamburg and attempted a breakthrough to Berlin or the West Wall.

Weather played a small role in the invasion, not enough to affect the ultimate outcome. Even though the weather was clear in both England and Northern Europe, I was unable to support the invasion with paratroopers. They just wouldn't land in Europe. I finally figured out that maybe a thin line of rain storms in the English Channel was blocking their flight path. Perhaps someone has some information on that issue.

My last opportunity to turn the tide was in Japan. When the Japanese fleet entered the Med, I was in the midst of preparing a third invasion of Northern Europe. Invasion craft were already sailing across the Atlantic. I recognized an opportunity to knock Japan out of the war and shifted the entire invasion fleet into the Pacific. I figured if Russia could hold out for a few more months and Japan surrendered, then Italy would quickly fall and Germany would stand alone against UK and USA.

But then Russia unexpectedly surrendered. Dang, it would have been glorious.

Our game was probably one of the last pre version 12.0 games. I'm excited to see what Russia can do under the new rules.

Excellent game Dmitry. A well deserved victory. Hope to meet you again over the game board.

< Message edited by LoneRunner -- 12/3/2021 5:31:14 PM >

(in reply to DmitryN)
Post #: 743
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/3/2021 6:18:24 PM   
redrum68

quote:

Weather did play a major role in the Med battle. When the Japanese fleet sailed into the Med, I saw a perfect opportunity and operated fighters and maritime bombers from around the globe into Italy, Libya, Cyprus, Palestine, and Transjordan. I figured the Med would become a killing ground, finally ending the Japanese threat.

Then the weather turned. For two months my air fleets on land hunkered under a series of rain and dust storms while the weather was clear on the waters of the Med. Without fighter cover and the ability to strike back, Japanese carriers and battleships massacred the Allied fleet. I think I got a total of three attacks with maritime bombers.

In my opinion weather luck is a big problem with WaW. Weather effects are too harsh. Too black and white, especially for air power. Either you can fly or you can't. And rain, snow, dust storms can last for months. Very unrealistic.

Yeah, this is more or less what happened to me in my recent game though in the Indian Ocean rather than the Med as all my Allied air forces in India couldn't fly due to sandstorms for 2 months and the Japanese navy/carriers/amphib had free reign.

quote:

Russia surrendered in April 44, about ten turns after the last capital, Perm, fell. Even though Russia had lost all three capitals, I was surprised by the surrender. Russian morale was just under 50% at the time of the surrender and almost 60 units (land and air) were left within Russian borders. Here's a quote from the manual regarding surrendering nations:

Every turn after a country loses its Capital (or last Capital if it had more than one) there will be a check to see if it carries on fighting. The chance that it will carry on fighting depends on the number of units it has left within its own borders, as follows:
§ Major Country Surrender = 3% * number of remaining units within the home country
§ Minor Country Surrender = 6% * number of remaining units within the home country

That was my understanding as well so surprised to see the USSR surrender if you still had 34+ units within its borders and >0 NM.

< Message edited by redrum68 -- 12/3/2021 6:22:43 PM >

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 744
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/5/2021 8:11:33 PM   
DmitryN

Actually 3 games started some time ago

DmitryN (allies) Jackmck (axis)
DmitryN (allies) smckechnie (axis)
DmitryN (axis) boudi (allies)

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 745
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/8/2021 9:46:41 AM   
EarlyDoors

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

Game 2: we go again

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 746
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/12/2021 6:39:01 PM   
calcwerc

new ELO game, standard house rules
Scoldgamer (Axis) vs calcwerc (Allies)

(in reply to EarlyDoors)
Post #: 747
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/12/2021 7:02:53 PM   
ThunderLizard11

ELO completed:

ThunderLizard2(Axis) defeats gpcgarag (Allies) by resignation in Sept '43. Tough fought war with Allies taking back Burma, most of Australia as well as Norway. Greece flipped to allies with diplo and used as launch pad for attacks on Axis southern flanks in Albania and Bulgaria. Key event was defeat of Russians in Aug '43. Axis gearing up for cross channel invasion wth units freed from action on Eastern front. Well played by gpcgarag.

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 748
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/13/2021 5:32:23 PM   
gpcgarag

it was a plessure to loose to a lizard :-)

Axis were a Step ahead all the Time ( and a Tech-LvL ) learned alot. ASW went pretty well in the Atlantic, Pazifik was on scedual, but my udssr was just overrun after 2 Years of constant beating. Germany was well prepared

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 749
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 12/14/2021 6:51:12 AM   
gpcgarag

new ELO game, standard house rules
calcwerc(Axis) vs gpcgarag(Allies)

(in reply to gpcgarag)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: The World at War ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI