Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> After Action Report >> RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 7:43:01 PM   
UP844

Turn 5 - British

In the Fire Segment, the Daimler forces a 22 to Button-Up (big sigh of relief, again!)

The 18-pdr and a couple of squads fire on the two German squads that attempted assaulting the Daimler, but they only manage to pin them both.

Attachment (1)

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 31
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 7:46:30 PM   
UP844

Turn 5 - British

In the Defensive Fire Segment, the German deliver an impressive volume of fire: unfortunately, this huge firework show fails to inflict damage to the British.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 32
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 7:49:41 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - German

In the Fire Segment, the HMG stack finally manages to break the 18-pdr crew. The Daimler takes some other non-penetrating hits, but I am fairly certain I will be able to attack it in CC.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 33
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:01:16 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - German

The Movement Segment starts with Germans moving in the upper part of the map: a C* leader and a squad move into the VP hex and take fire from the squad in the VP hex, which has no effect beside Battle Hardening the leader, which becomes a B*. The stack continues moving and draws fire from the Daimler, which causes no damage and which will be unable to fire on the infantry assaulting it . Finally, the B* and its squad come adjacent to the British squad in the last upper VP hex and are fired with Subsequent First Fire: the squad is killed outright and the just promoted leader is wounded.

The remaining Germans in the upper part of the village move down the river, aiming at the last VP hex. First, a single squad moves downriver and enters the building, but the British squad does not fire. The C* leader and the remaining squad follow the same path, and the British fire... after they have entered the building (I would have fired when they were in the open). FPF has no effect, and the squad fails its MC.

In the center, one of the squads is OOC, so only a single squad Assault Moves forward and comes adjacent to the Daimler.

The BU 222 returns to Crew Exposed status.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 34
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:05:29 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - German

In the Defensive Fire Segment, the British fire only once, but with great effect: the MMG fires on the stone building, breaking the B** leader and two squads. The last squad is pinned. My firebase is neutralized, but it would have been far worse if such result had occurred before: now, it's a nuisance, but it is too late to stop the Germans.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 35
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:08:37 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - German

In the Advance Segment, the German squad enters CC with the Daimler and promptly kills it. The Germans also take the last upper VP hex and in the next turn will force the broken British units to rout in the open...

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 36
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:12:03 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - British

The 18-pdr crew fails to rally.

In the Fire Segment, the British MMG fires again on the stone building, but this time it causes no harm.

The last remaining two British squads fire on the squad that just killed the Daimler and on the last surviving HS, breaking it.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 37
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:16:51 PM   
UP844

Turn 6 - British

In the Defensive Fire segment, the Germans fire like madmen, but the only results they get is breaking a squad, which also fails its ELR check, and keeping the 18-pdr crew at "Broken+" status.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 38
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 8:24:07 PM   
UP844

Turn 7 - German

The British defense crumbles: the only remaining intact units are those in the MMG stack.

The German MMG fires at them in the Fire Segment but causes no damage.

In the Movement Segment, the various German units move so as to kill as many British units as possible for Failure to Rout, taking care to remain outside the LOS of the British MMG.

The German armored cars sprint forward: the 231 moves before the British MMG, so as to provide an hindrance and protect the MMG stack in the stone building. The 222s help the infantry units to surround the scattered and broken British units.

The British MMG fire in the Defensive fire segment has no effect.

In the Rout Segment, several British units are killed for Failure to Route and the game ends with a clear German Major Victory.

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 39
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 9:00:19 PM   
Peter Fisla

Unbelievable, thank you UP844

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 40
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 10:25:14 PM   
UP844

Why "unbelievable"?

I had some luck (the 222 firing nine times in a row ) but other than that single episode it looks like an ordinary game to me.

The scenario is nice, but I think it does not force the German to advance at all costs: on Turn #4 I have already achieved a Major Victory and I could have retreated out of sight, waiting to welcome any counterattacking British with some nice point-blank fires. On the other hand, the British didn't show much desire to retake the VPs they lost, perhaps because their VP tally also indicated a Major Victory , even though the German won because their score was much higher.

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 41
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/20/2021 10:37:17 PM   
Peter Fisla

Unbelievable because of the nice report, It was a pleasure to read To get the best difficulty, you need to play on hard and the scenario needs be balanced.

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 42
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/21/2021 12:32:32 AM   
Big Ivan

Actually gentlemen it was a conversion from an ASL scenario.

The real problem is trying to convert the victory conditions from an ASL scenario to that which is acceptable and balanced in the Tigers on the Hunt system.

True, the victory conditions are balanced for the ASL scenario. But without numerous play throughs in the Tigers on the Hunt system, that may never be found. The A/I in TotH leaves some desire.

The A/I in TotH will never play like a human sitting across the table from you like in ASL. Hence some of UP844's comments about the British and their reactions or lack thereof. However with some tweaking to stack the situation in favor of the A/I it might be a challenge for a human player as the Germans in the TotH system.

UP844 thanks for testing this ASL conversion design of mine! I do appreciate your efforts and AAR!! It was fun reading your definitive detail!!

Peter as always appreciate your comments!!

Kind regards,
John (Big Ivan)

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 43
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/23/2021 1:30:47 PM   
UP844

Hello John,

I greatly appreciated the scenario and the effort you made to convert it from ASL to TOTH. I also understand the difficulty of porting ASL scenarios and victory conditions into TOTH (I tried converting "Bucholz Station" and in my first attempt the AI Americans ran to the Exit VP hexes in their very first turn, providing me with a fine selection of targets).

I'm also very aware about the limitations of the AI (just look at my avatar ): basically, a defending AI uses one of these two options:

a) "stand and die" - the human player can defeat this by focusing on a narrow sector and defeating the AI forces in detail

b) "not a inch back" - the human player must only take a few VP hexes, wait for the counterattacking AI and slaughter its units and, finally, take the remaining VP hexes

So far, the only solution I have found - within the game framework - is to add some (and sometimes many) AI-only units.

I tried - just for the fun of it - to play the scenario with the British, but it is not worth the effort of taking screenshots and making an AAR: basically, I formed two clusters - one above the road, one below - and killed German units as they advanced . I also discovered that the AI can set up two pieces of ordnance in the same hex, even though this is not allowed to human players.

The only remarkable feat was a German B* which took three Defensive Fires (with -2/-3 DRM) and Battle Hardened two times while its squads were wiped out, becoming a B**, then an A**, only to be killed by the last Defensive Fire.

Now I'm a bit busy, but soon I will also inflict you an AAR of the other scenario you posted .

Regards

Carlo "UP844"

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 44
RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) - 11/23/2021 2:47:07 PM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: UP844

Hello John,

I greatly appreciated the scenario and the effort you made to convert it from ASL to TOTH. I also understand the difficulty of porting ASL scenarios and victory conditions into TOTH (I tried converting "Bucholz Station" and in my first attempt the AI Americans ran to the Exit VP hexes in their very first turn, providing me with a fine selection of targets).

I'm also very aware about the limitations of the AI (just look at my avatar ): basically, a defending AI uses one of these two options:

a) "stand and die" - the human player can defeat this by focusing on a narrow sector and defeating the AI forces in detail

b) "not a inch back" - the human player must only take a few VP hexes, wait for the counterattacking AI and slaughter its units and, finally, take the remaining VP hexes

So far, the only solution I have found - within the game framework - is to add some (and sometimes many) AI-only units.

I tried - just for the fun of it - to play the scenario with the British, but it is not worth the effort of taking screenshots and making an AAR: basically, I formed two clusters - one above the road, one below - and killed German units as they advanced . I also discovered that the AI can set up two pieces of ordnance in the same hex, even though this is not allowed to human players.

The only remarkable feat was a German B* which took three Defensive Fires (with -2/-3 DRM) and Battle Hardened two times while its squads were wiped out, becoming a B**, then an A**, only to be killed by the last Defensive Fire.

Now I'm a bit busy, but soon I will also inflict you an AAR of the other scenario you posted .

Regards

Carlo "UP844"

Thanks for your insight, Carlo! Looking forward to your next AAR!

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> After Action Report >> RE: JP040: Ugly Faces (German) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI