Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of Buying - But

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Thinking of Buying - But Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of Buying - But - 11/24/2021 9:58:00 PM   
demyansk

I am looking for something different and a little hesitant on what I have read about the time needed to play this game. What do you guys think? Honest opinions

Is a Steam key available?
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/24/2021 11:06:00 PM   
Voker57

It does require a lot of time to learn. To play -- not really, but if you play PBEM be prepared to wait long time between turns. Not sure what do you mean about the Steam key.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 1:35:38 AM   
zgrssd

You have to buy the game seperately on Steam. The Matrix store has no Steam integration.

(in reply to Voker57)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 1:58:26 AM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

You have to buy the game seperately on Steam. The Matrix store has no Steam integration.

Incorrect, if you buy at Matrix you get a Steam Key.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 4:50:53 AM   
Wtface

I found it worth it but I wouldnt be here posting if I didnt. If you have played wargames before you will understand half the concepts already. I had fun just diving in and occasionally consulting the manual when I didnt understand something. The game has a certain logic that when you start to understand everything makes more sense.

< Message edited by Wtface -- 11/25/2021 4:51:20 AM >

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 7:51:01 AM   
deMangler

I found that even though the learning curve is great, it doesn't have to be steep. Even learning quirks of the UI is also a process of learning how they represent how the deeper game works.
It is a lot of fun playing and learning as you go, on the job, so to speak. Also - because of the variety of starting conditions replayability is such that I often wanted to dive straight in again after a loss just to enjoy what I just learned.

There is a lot to learn though - I have over 1000 hours in it now and some things that happen still seem fresh and make me think in different ways.

Something which I found handy was the matrix version (if you buy at Matrix you do get a Steam Key) runs well under wine in linux. I even got it running on my very feeble chromebook (x86 anyway - YMMV here) with some tweaking which means I can play it while travelling.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 11/25/2021 4:30:27 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 10:07:24 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I am looking for something different and a little hesitant on what I have read about the time needed to play this game. What do you guys think? Honest opinions

Is a Steam key available?

I'd say yes.

Invest some watching time up front - it really helps get things clear in your head, but equally simply playing means you work things out.

What I'd call a good game (ie one with a start I am able to cope with) on a reasonably sized planet will take me about 2-3 months to run to either a formal completion or the point I'll just end it (if I know I am going to win but the final game play is a bit tedious).

I'm sure there are shorter options, such as a moon start which tends to be fairly brutal but I like the world building aspect and the sub-plots that can emerge in a longer slower game (all this is SP based)

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/25/2021 4:33:50 PM   
eddieballgame

Buy on Matrix, apply your Steam Key if you want.(no Workshop, atm)
You are in for a treat, imho.
Game play is very deep & rewarding, once you grasp the standard concepts of how to play...like any good/great strategy/4x game.
Multiplayer via 'pbem' is a blast &, depending on your opponent/opponents, can be fairly quick...1 or more turns a day.
I have played 7 games via 'pbem' in the past year; 5 games vs a group of 4 & 2 games vs 1. (which took a combined total of a couple of weeks vs the one opponent)
There is also 'hotseat' the old fashioned way.

Also...watch some DasTactic videos.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 11/25/2021 4:37:45 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/26/2021 7:12:22 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have played Advanced Tactics Gold, 3 Sid Meier's Civilization games (original, IV (with Caveman2Cosmos too), V), SM's Alpha Centauri, Pandora, World of Wonders 3, and some more. I'm on the fence of grabbing Shadow Empire on sale. But before that, I'd like to hear how it compares with the other games I have mentioned so far. Would it be accurate to describe the game as "a child between ATG and Civilization"?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/26/2021 9:35:02 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I have played Advanced Tactics Gold, 3 Sid Meier's Civilization games (original, IV (with Caveman2Cosmos too), V), SM's Alpha Centauri, Pandora, World of Wonders 3, and some more. I'm on the fence of grabbing Shadow Empire on sale. But before that, I'd like to hear how it compares with the other games I have mentioned so far. Would it be accurate to describe the game as "a child between ATG and Civilization"?

Of those I know, Advanced Tactics is the only that comes even close. No wonder, since Vic also made that one as well.

But it has some NPC management that reminds me a lot of Crusader Kings.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 11/26/2021 9:36:24 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/27/2021 6:12:43 AM   
pauls2271

Game is very deep. I'd recommend watching some Youtube vids - like DASTACTICS. You can see all gameplay and decide for yourself.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/27/2021 2:55:10 PM   
Kuokkanen

I just got the game from Steam because sale. To my confusion, game comes with 365 page manual, but Steam store page has a link to 369 page manual. I make a guess the longer manual is newer version.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to pauls2271)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking of Buying - But - 11/27/2021 5:34:57 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I just got the game from Steam because sale. To my confusion, game comes with 365 page manual, but Steam store page has a link to 369 page manual. I make a guess the longer manual is newer version.

The 369 pages one is the online one I use too.

The 365 page count was propably before the Pull Point system was added ot the manual.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Thinking of Buying - But Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI