Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warplan 2 wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Warplan 2 wishlist Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/24/2021 12:36:15 AM   
stjeand

105 Advancements to a file so they can be modified. Sorry I HATE that 39 is the same for all. Should be different for each.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 61
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/25/2021 12:16:44 PM   
CrackingShow

106 - game saves in PBEM on exit, so you can't do some moves, and then exit and 'restart' the turn if things don't go your way
107 - fighters have a bonus for using less of their range to reach the combat hex
108 - partisan hexes in Iraq and Persia so the UK has to leave a couple of divisions there. Right now you can take Iraq/Persia and leave it empty as all the partisans do is damage rail.
109 - limits on how many of each type of unit you can build. Strategic Command hard limits the number of tanks GER can buy and that helps with the balance. Right now, I'm building a bazillion tanks as USA/GER/USSR (if she is alive) and few if any planes.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 62
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/25/2021 12:58:21 PM   
AlvaroSousa

106 - Players can just task manager close program to get around it.... restart.
107 - I was thinking more the opposite. Longer the range less effective. A stuka can fly 20x a day in a close battle field. A bombing run on Berlin what once a week?
108 - I'd have to add some partisan hex conditions which I just thought of as I read this. Might be possible in v1. I have to think about it.
109 - yea that is an issue. But I can't do it with this version. I am looking into different ways to get around that with supply and logistics.

< Message edited by AlvaroSousa -- 10/26/2021 8:27:32 PM >

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to CrackingShow)
Post #: 63
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/25/2021 3:27:53 PM   
stjeand

110 - A way for a player whose turn it is not to be able to load the game and see the current state which would be the end of their turn. I am a person who loves to stare at maps while my opponent is busy with RL and doing their turn.
Sadly I have to try to remember the current state or take lots of screen shots, which I dislike and can't see what state my units are in.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 64
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/26/2021 8:08:21 PM   
CrackingShow

106 - good point, sadly you are right
107 - that is what I meant, sorry my comment was unclear
108 - that could be cool, I don't know if its possible to copy Strategic Commands system, but I think its simple to understand and works reasonably well.
109 - happy that you are thinking about this issue

Post #: 65
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/26/2021 10:37:15 PM   
sveint

The only way to get around 106 would be a fully online game.

(in reply to CrackingShow)
Post #: 66
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/30/2021 11:58:09 PM   
TrogusP96

I like

Ncc1701e
I think NCC identifies often overlooked elements from the paper games because they are not practical yet the computer offers the chance to show how important these were in actual campaigns 10, 13, 16, 17 in similar vein his 49 and 50 are intriguing on fogo f war for naval and other losses as an option I suppose
10. Weather forecast for both sides
11. Ability to split, merge armor corps. I want to see armor division (French, Hungary, ...). French won't be allow to merge armor divisions into armor corps.
12. Ability to merge armor corps and mechanized corps into tank armies for the Soviets only
13. Radar stations to build to improve interception chance of enemy bombers
14. Sub pens (as requested by Flaviusx in the other thread)
15. Soviet artillery corps (as requested by Flaviusx)
16. Ability to build and place false units on the map (maskirovka) or to prevent the enemy to see which unit type is there or to display a tank corps for the enemy whereas the unit is just an infantry corps (radio deception)
17. Ability for air unit to have a recon mission to discover enemy unit types 105 Advancements to a file so they can be modified.
37. Rework advancements because some of them seem never used ;
Be able to mod the specializations by nation.
107 - fighters have a bonus for using less of their range to reach the combat hex - proxy for sortie rate; yet the US day fighters beat the Luftwaffe during Big Week despite the proximity of their airfields and how long the US fighter pilots had been in the air

NAVAL BUILDS
Be able to partially or start building naval units even if do not have the full cost otherwise have to save up up. Naval units were not built like that. In fact just before Torch I believe many warships were stopped to make room for landing ships.

And I agree with whoever said screw the black SS pieces unless wargames on the Eastern Front (where the Wermacht was arguably just as guilty) are going to be realistic about Barbarossa's purpose and the manner it was carried out instead of the perpetual sanitized version that paper games have spewed for decades with the eulogizing of the technical and operational feats of the Germans in a vaccuum and with the apologies that well that's not what my game or that game is about. I have not bought an East Front game since the original Russian Campaign and I dont know if I will ever buy another except or because we owe the Soviet's untold Western lives.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 67
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 10/31/2021 11:01:24 PM   
generalfdog

1 More effective partisans especially in China, Poland, and Yugoslavia
2 Stronger USSR after 42 but I think there should be a chance (a small chance) to seriously damage or force a surrender in 41
3 midget subs to attack ports
4 more winter effects for Germany especially in 41
5 ski troopers for winterized nations
6 banzai attack option for Japan
7 Stilwell option like world in flames or something similar where some us units can work with nationalists China
8 something to simulate increased pilot attrition over enemy territory
9 a more interesting boa planes especially need to be more useful
10 OPTION to have researchable nukes for everyone
11 ability to have more then 2 players
12 OPTION to have more then 2 sides ie ussr is its own side.
13 SS units for Germany and Guard Banner units USSR
14 force pools so you can't build infinite amount of everything

hey a as long as we doing wish lists! I'm sure how ever it turns out it will be good as long as Alvaro is running the show

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 68
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/1/2021 4:20:43 PM   
generalfdog

V weapons, Admirals and actual free French would be sweet also

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 69
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/1/2021 6:39:32 PM   
sveint

On the more technical side: Better scaling of text on higher resolutions

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 70
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/2/2021 1:07:17 PM   
AlvaroSousa

In the new engine I am trying to use larger buttons overall so players don't have to scale as much.

Most players are at 1920x1080 (like 94% of them) so the normal resolution should work well.
A few have 1366x768
A few more have 2560x1440
I also increased the font size from 14 to 15 in game.
Higher resolutions only need to bump it up once to 1.25x of they have eye troubles.

Now if you have 8000x4000 sorry I can't help you. You can increase but it doesn't mean the graphics are going to turn into 8k 3d with smell-o-vision.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 71
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/2/2021 7:42:33 PM   
sveint

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa
Most players are at 1920x1080 (like 94% of them) so the normal resolution should work well.

I play at 1920x1080 because I cannot read the text at 3840x2160.

What players use and what they want to use may be different.

Also tech moves fast, in a few years more people will use higher resolutions.

Post #: 72
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/3/2021 2:04:17 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Another thing I am doing is making sure the UI is in squares. Meaning the number can easily be multiplied by .25, .5, or .75.

So it should scale well with the higher rez. I have 2560x1440.

3840x2160 are less than 2% of my users. I have to target the most common.

If I see a trend shifting in the Steam reports of users then I shift the graphics.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 73
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/7/2021 8:55:30 AM   
NJ

Ability to build Fortified Lines/areas (sorry if previously mentioned). Built very roughly on same time/PP cost of coastal defences. If possible, less benefit than longstanding fortifications like Maginot etc. Therefore, two levels of fortification in the game.

Post #: 74
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/25/2021 3:55:32 PM   
generalfdog

Madagascar and Italian east Africa

(in reply to NJ)
Post #: 75
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/26/2021 1:11:53 PM   
FirstPappy

My addition to the wishlist:

Wishlisters must promise to take one of these courses before making a wish:

https://hackr.io/blog/best-unity-courses

Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
RX580 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 76
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/26/2021 3:10:21 PM   
Duck Doc

Regarding OP's items # 1 & 2, I was reading in Snow and Steel about the Ardennes Offensive that allied bombing on the Reichsbahn railways, trains, and infrastructure had no significant effect and did not result in any reduction in the contribution of that element to the war effort within the Reich itself at least up until December 1944. So, the idea of directing my 8th Air Force to take out the marshaling yards east of Cologne begs credulity. Likewise with a number of micromanagement devices suggested or employed in a game of this scale. One of my frustrations with Warplan is the implementation of a submarine offensive against merchant shipping. Placing individual counters in certain specific geographic locations on sea lanes of communication doesn't quite capture it. Zones make much more sense. The submarine offensive in the Atlantic needs a more generic mechanic. Having boxes to deal with large, strategic air offensives against, for example, aircraft production or synthetic oil production, or even terror bombing would work better for me. I am not against a corps or army-level ground game and I am very happy Warplan left out artillery units at this scale. The integration of the air and ground war works very well. The use of strategic bombers as automatic, on-call, naval strike forces also is well implemented. I would encourage more automated, large chunk-type game devices rather than micromanagement of individual counters.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 77
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/28/2021 10:19:13 AM   
AstroBlues

I beg to differ. In a book called Wages of Destruction, about the Germany economy starting in 36, the Author concluded that Strategic Bombing destroyed Germany's capacity to wage war. The Bombing destroyed all the railways. The Germans would make one part in one factory, then another part in another factory, and ship them to another factory to put together. When was Snow and Steel published? I try and read new books about WWII because a lot of information is coming out.

Also in 1942 Germany was experiencing Manpower shortages. The Cream of the young, motivated men were being killed off. And the less motivated men were being concsripted.

Besides, I have decided not to whine and cry anymore about things. Especially about games. AlvaroSousa has done a nice job with this game. If you want a better game,, design one yourself. I look forward to each turn in Warplan. I have an excellent opponent.

Ron

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 78
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/29/2021 1:04:22 PM   
AstroBlues

I apologize about the rant in the above post. I realize you guys are trying to improve the game. Again my apologies.

Ron

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 79
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/29/2021 3:43:20 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Wages of Destruction was an excellent book... thanks AstroBlues.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 80
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/29/2021 10:48:00 PM   
AstroBlues

You are welcome.

Ron

Post #: 81
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/30/2021 6:31:40 AM   
sveint

A better scoring system.

Instead of just winning or losing, we could get a score at the end, for example if I barely win my score might be something like +100. Or barely lose, -135. Bigger victories/losses, bigger numbers. Would give use a reason to give more effort/complete games even after vicotry or loss is certain.

And while it's not my thing, it would help those that want some sort of ranked play or tournaments.

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 82
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/30/2021 11:40:59 AM   
AstroBlues

How about a Sudden Death victory condition? Like if Germany takes, for example,, Stalingrad, Moscow, and Leningrad,,London, Cairo. Something like that. Your idea of points is good, it would turn the game into a bloodfest. It is something to thhink about.

Ron

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 83
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 11/30/2021 2:44:15 PM   
Numdydar

An option for weekly turns built into the game would be nice

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 84
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/1/2021 2:22:28 PM   
stjeand

Weekly turns would mess up production and movement...though possible you would need to halve everything.

Could be done in a scenario...so maybe a scenario that had weekly turns.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 85
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/1/2021 3:09:32 PM   
Duck Doc

quote:

ORIGINAL: AstroBlues

I apologize about the rant in the above post. I realize you guys are trying to improve the game. Again my apologies.

Ron

No worries. I apologize as well. I happen to think Warplan is the finest design of a strategic WW2 game available and I am very happy to be able to play. I did not intend at all to make reference to the entire strategic air war but only to point something out about how much detail a game on this scale chooses to use. I didn't want to get into a debate about how effective the strategic air campaign and terror bombing were overall.

I agree that Wages of Destruction is an important book about the failure of the Third Reich's war economy and I read it as well. I have read about the strategic air war some also.

I realize now that my comments are not welcome by others on the forum and the designer so, I will stop. I was not trying to pick a fight. All games have strengths and weaknesses. All games get better over time if the designer chooses to improve them and Warplan continues to get better and better.

My input was well-intentioned, really.

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 86
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/1/2021 5:00:21 PM   
stjeand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duck Doc
I realize now that my comments are not welcome by others on the forum and the designer so, I will stop. I was not trying to pick a fight. All games have strengths and weaknesses. All games get better over time if the designer chooses to improve them and Warplan continues to get better and better.

Do not stop commenting...all have merit, good and bad.

Without the comments people could miss things and the game would never get improved without people stating what they feel are important or potential issues.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 87
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/1/2021 7:13:53 PM   
Nirosi

quote:

Without the comments people could miss things and the game would never get improved without people stating what they feel are important or potential issues.

+1

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 88
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/2/2021 9:35:51 PM   
AstroBlues

Please keep commenting. I would like to know more about what you read about the Strategic Warfare books you are reading.

< Message edited by AstroBlues -- 12/2/2021 9:38:09 PM >

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 89
RE: Warplan 2 wishlist - 12/4/2021 2:28:00 AM   
generalfdog

Maybe not possible and pure fantasy on my part, but I always thought it would be neat to be able to take a more detailed scenario North Africa for example and take the results of that and transfer them over to the main game. Say you captured Egypt in 41 as Axis in NA scenario you could play 41 campaign starting with axis controlling Egypt

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Warplan 2 wishlist Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI