Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US ATG/105mm regimental units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> US ATG/105mm regimental units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 5:23:01 PM   
Jagger2002

This is kind of a minor nitpick but I thought I would bring it up anyway. In the Elsenborn scenario, each US regiment has 3 battalions of infantry and then a 4th unit composed of 6 105mm howitzers, 6 57mm anti-tank guns and 17 bazookas.

That 4th regimental unit is a strange mixture of units as the battery of howitzers are long range artillery while the 57mm ATGs and bazookas are frontline troops. Historically the 57mm ATGs would be tactically attached as needed within frontline units requiring the additional ATG assets. And the battery of howitzers would be deployed behind the lines.

In game, the problem is when deploying the unit into the line as a needed ATG asset, it exposes the howitzers to frontline dangers. If placed in the rear, the howitzers are hidden and useable but the ATG assets are wasted. To use both howitzers and the ATG assets actively, they must be in the frontline which exposes howitzers to frontline risks.

Anyway, it was bothering me and I decided I would simply detach the 57mm and bazookas into any frontline infantry battalions that needed extra ATG assets. Also I could shift those 57mm ATGs and bazookas to other units as necessary. Unfortunately, even though infantry battalions have both bazookas and 57mm ATG assets within their TOE, their numbers are capped and will not accept additionally bazookas or 57mm ATG above their TOE. So that solution will not work except as replacements. If the unit has lost bazookas or 57mm ATGs, I can replace them from that How/ATG unit.

So still stuck with a hybrid unit of both frontline and rear troops. I am wondering if the three frontline infantry battalions should have empty TOE slots for adding extra 57mm ATGs and bazookas when necessary from the regimental How/ATG unit?

Post #: 1
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 5:41:17 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

This is kind of a minor nitpick but I thought I would bring it up anyway. In the Elsenborn scenario, each US regiment has 3 battalions of infantry and then a 4th unit composed of 6 105mm howitzers, 6 57mm anti-tank guns and 17 bazookas.

That 4th regimental unit is a strange mixture of units as the battery of howitzers are long range artillery while the 57mm ATGs and bazookas are frontline troops. Historically the 57mm ATGs would be tactically attached as needed within frontline units requiring the additional ATG assets. And the battery of howitzers would be deployed behind the lines.

In game, the problem is when deploying the unit into the line as a needed ATG asset, it exposes the howitzers to frontline dangers. If placed in the rear, the howitzers are hidden and useable but the ATG assets are wasted. To use both howitzers and the ATG assets actively, they must be in the frontline which exposes howitzers to frontline risks.

Anyway, it was bothering me and I decided I would simply detach the 57mm and bazookas into any frontline infantry battalions that needed extra ATG assets. Also I could shift those 57mm ATGs and bazookas to other units as necessary. Unfortunately, even though infantry battalions have both bazookas and 57mm ATG assets within their TOE, their numbers are capped and will not accept additionally bazookas or 57mm ATG above their TOE. So that solution will not work except as replacements. If the unit has lost bazookas or 57mm ATGs, I can replace them from that How/ATG unit.

So still stuck with a hybrid unit of both frontline and rear troops. I am wondering if the three frontline infantry battalions should have empty TOE slots for adding extra 57mm ATGs and bazookas when necessary from the regimental How/ATG unit?

You can distribute the 57mm ATG and the Bazookas from the Regimental Artillery component to the Inf.Btl; because they are already there in the TO&E.

I'd leave the 4 Bazookas with the Rgt.Art though, just in case some Panzers show up.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 2
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 5:42:00 PM   
nikdav

They are 13th and 14th company of the regiment, the 57mm were generally used to protect the artillery and the regimental HQ area !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by nikdav -- 12/3/2021 5:47:05 PM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 3
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 7:27:27 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

You can distribute the 57mm ATG and the Bazookas from the Regimental Artillery component to the Inf.Btl; because they are already there in the TO&E.

I'd leave the 4 Bazookas with the Rgt.Art though, just in case some Panzers show up.

Klink, Oberst

I tried but I was not allowed to transfer 57mm or bazooka's from Reg Art into an infantry batt unless the inf batt had suffered losses. Basically I could replace their losses but total numbers were not allowed to exceed the number set by TOE. So an inf batt which has full strength 57mm and baz would not allow me to transfer more 57mm and baz into unit.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 4
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 7:30:01 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

quote:

Klink, Oberst

I tried but I was not allowed to transfer 57mm or bazooka's from Reg Art into an infantry batt unless the inf batt had suffered losses. Basically I could replace their losses but total numbers were not allowed to exceed the number set by TOE. So an inf batt which has full strength 57mm and baz would not allow me to transfer more 57mm and baz into unit.

Oh, you tried it in-game. I thought you edited the history model file. And no, you can't transfer stuff in-game that exceeds the TO&E.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 5
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 7:50:33 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

They are 13th and 14th company of the regiment, the 57mm were generally used to protect the artillery and the regimental HQ area !

I was curious about this and found this military history site which describes the role of the regimental AT company and is based on the Mar 44 Field Manual 7-35 Regimental AT company. http://militaryhistoryvisualized.com/us-army-anti-tank-company-tactics-organization-world-war-2/

The manual gives the At regimental company function as:

quote:

Function & Mission
Hence, the main function of the anti-tank company was to provide protection against enemy tanks in coordination with the battalion’s anti-tank platoons. To achieve this, the primary missions were reinforcing the front-line battalions to deepen the anti-mechanized defense and to protect the flank or rear of the regiment. Secondary missions were attacking enemy observation posts, fortifications, gun emplacements or other enemy positions. Note that if during a secondary mission a primary mission appeared the anti-tank units should switch without order to the primary mission, meaning engaging enemy armored and mechanized troops. (FM-7-35 March 1944: p.13-14)

I imagine that manual would be interesting reading.

Of course, there can be a big difference between manual and actual field use. Also at least in March 44 before D-day, it lists 3 platoons of 3 guns each in the company. Although I vaguely remember a reduction in AT company size and use of the manpower elsewhere. The 57mm gun is really not cutting edge AT at the time but was still useful in variety of roles and definitely useful against lighter vehicles and flanks. I remember reading Company Commander by Charles MacDonald and his companies fear at the approach of a possible flamethrower halftrack at night. A 57mm ATG would make short work of a halftrack.

Also the last year or so, I have been reading Daglish and Zeulke books about the Brit and Canadians operations in Normandy and Italy. It was clear that doctrine had a heavy emphasis on ATG guns as part of infantry defense. Even on offense, as soon as final objectives were taken, infantry were not considered secure until arrival of the At assets. Priority to get them up. The SOP was that offensive armor would not leave a captured position until the AT assets were up and in position with the assault infantry.

Anyway it is definitely a nitpick. For me, it just felt awkward having a frontline force combined with a rear area force.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 12/3/2021 8:06:27 PM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 6
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 7:57:44 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

Oh, you tried it in-game. I thought you edited the history model file. And no, you can't transfer stuff in-game that exceeds the TO&E.

Klink, Oberst

Yes, I haven't tried any sort of editing at this point. My thoughts were possibly having empty slots available in infantry batt TOEs allowing for temporary transfer of 57mm and maybe bazookas into battalions. Although that might cause a problem with replacements. If so, I suspect the problem would be minor to non-existent. I have never noticed a lot of equipment replacements coming in.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 7
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/3/2021 8:03:16 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

quote:

Klink, Oberst

Yes, I haven't tried any sort of editing at this point. My thoughts were possibly having empty slots available in infantry batt TOEs allowing for temporary transfer of 57mm and maybe bazookas into battalions. Although that might cause a problem with replacements. If so, I suspect the problem would be minor to non-existent. I have never noticed a lot of equipment replacements coming in.

One thing that's on my wish list is, to extend the TO&E to 12 slots.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 8
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/4/2021 1:40:44 PM   
DBeves

Came across this myself - tried same as you - but also you can sub divide the AT Guns out into a separate unit - better then leaving them stuck with the ART.

So they can either go into the line as a critical point or act as a reserve and distribute the gins when the inf units need them - without having to move them about with the artillery

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 9
RE: US ATG/105mm regimental units - 12/4/2021 2:01:29 PM   
Jagger2002

quote:

but also you can sub divide the AT Guns out into a separate unit
That is true but the drawback is it costs 3 PP to create a KG, suffers the hit and attack value KG penalties and it reduces HQ staff/troop levels. The AT company is one of those flexible small units that can be deployed either massed or attached to the various battalions. Difficult to fit into the game structure.

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> US ATG/105mm regimental units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI