Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/4/2021 10:22:38 PM   
Kull

To help clear up the "Ledo Road" confusion, in WitP (the game prior to WitP-AE), there WAS a road from Ledo to China (via Myitkina). I no longer have the original game installed, but you can see the road in the attached WitP map development screenshot from 2004. And in that game, yes, it was an alternative means for keeping the Burma Road open. For whatever reason, the WitP-AE manual still referenced this old WitP feature, but it was never part of WitP-AE.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Here's a screenshot of the latest artwork for the Burma area (including the Burma road to China).

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 61
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/4/2021 10:56:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Hey, Scott!!
Thank you for starting this thread. I am also one returning to game play (after retirement from Ministry) and need some of the same information. I haven't been fully able to return for some time, but have tried (unsuccessfully) to play intermittently. Even trying those attempts succumbed to the time demand. So this feels like starting all over again all over again (EGAD!) GRAZI!

Multiple restarts is part of the learning curve! Just save the first couple of turns so you will not have to redo the entire setup from scratch, and make notes as the turns progress on the changes you will want to make next restart.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 62
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/5/2021 1:23:16 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

To help clear up the "Ledo Road" confusion, in WitP (the game prior to WitP-AE), there WAS a road from Ledo to China (via Myitkina). I no longer have the original game installed, but you can see the road in the attached WitP map development screenshot from 2004. And in that game, yes, it was an alternative means for keeping the Burma Road open. For whatever reason, the WitP-AE manual still referenced this old WitP feature, but it was never part of WitP-AE.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Here's a screenshot of the latest artwork for the Burma area (including the Burma road to China).
,snip for space>

Just to be sure I am understanding your post correctly, are you saying:

(a) You have been reliably informed that in WITP:AE the code was changed, so that only a valid supply path by rail or road (main or secondary) from Rangoon to Tsuyung will open the Burma Road; or

(b) (i) In WITP:AE stock maps, the secondary road between Ledo and Myitkina was removed, so you can no longer trace a a valid supply path by rail or road (main or secondary) from Ledo to Tsuyung which will open the Burma Road in accordance with the code, but the code is still the same under the hood and accordingly,

(c) (ii) If someone makes a map mod and re-inserts the secondary road between Ledo and Myitkyina, it will still function as an alternate route for the Burma Road?

The reason I'm asking is Blackhorse said it was [because] "there is no road from Ledo to China".

quote:

"To Tsuyung from Rangoon -- if there is a clear road/rail path, Tsuyung gets an extra 500 supplies/day.

Page 254 in the manual. The manual (wrongly) states that you can create a path between Ledo and Tsuyung. But there is no road from Ledo to China, so no 'free' supply."

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2896243

I suppose if someone has made a map mod with the Ledo Road in it they could sandbox test it.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 63
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/5/2021 3:14:00 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Just to be sure I am understanding your post correctly, are you saying:

(a) You have been reliably informed that in WITP:AE the code was changed, so that only a valid supply path by rail or road (main or secondary) from Rangoon to Tsuyung will open the Burma Road

Even if a stub of code remained which allows a modded road to provide the "Burma Road" bonus from Ledo, one of the early Betas included this coding change:

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm75au

21/10/12: 1119e - Burma road not open if Rangoon in enemy hands

Assuming the original code still exists, it would only come into play in a situation where the Allied player owns Rangoon but the Japanese have blocked all the roads to Tsuyung except the modded one from Ledo-Myitkyina-Tsuyung

In the early war, if the Japanese have moved that far into Burma the fall of Rangoon is only a matter of time, so even that hypothetical situation wouldn't be of much use for very long. And a similar situation would arise if the Allies capture Rangoon during a late war offensive, because the Japanese resistance elsewhere in Burma will soon be swept aside and reliance on possible "Ledo Road code" would be of very short duration.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 64
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/5/2021 9:26:12 AM   
Ian R

I noticed that when I searched the patch notes. However, Alfred pointed out in the old thread that the valid supply path along rail/road hexes, between the origin and arrival (Tsuyung) hexes requires hexside, not hex, control. Enemy units sitting on the path tend to fatally interfere with that - but not necessarily. The waters are still muddy.

Giving Michaelm's description of the code change its plain and ordinary meaning would, I agree, have the effect you ascribe to that change, but unfortunately the developers tended towards the deliberately vague at times. The description is not inconsistent with a tweak to the 'valid path' code that affects the origin point base - which on a standard map, sans the Ledo Road, can only be Rangoon.

Has anyone got a standard map modded to include the Ledo road? I am not au fait with map modding, but have time to set up and run a test, if one is available.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 65
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/5/2021 9:35:33 AM   
Yaab

RHS Level I mod used to have the Ledo road developed over the course of the war. The road is still present in RHS Level II mod, but this iteration of the mod uses extended map. Twice a year you switch the pwhexe files to account for rail/road development in RHS.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 66
RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol - 12/5/2021 9:46:30 AM   
scottj63

I understand what you are saying HansBolter. I have a ton of AK's running the Capetown/Abadan run for fuel and Colombo to keep the supply up....This game is always "I wish I had more of X" In Sydney I have a full division I just paid the PP's for but not enough fuel there to get the convoy going. Trying to get more to Port Moresby as that is another front now. The AI is brilliant at the raids they are pulling off.....But had a great victory near Guadacanal last night....Sank the Junyo and Akagi (intel was wrong about it being sunk). So glad I built up Tulagi and Rennell Island as rock carriers (laughing) the Hornet was there also and took a torpedo, but repairing it for a month is a small price to pay for the 2 CV's I sank. Rangoon has over 100k supply now as my CAP is keeping the Jap bombers at bay trying to hit the convoy's. But I have a huge army of Brits and Indians in the area who are no doubt using a lot of supply. Kukong pocket is eliminated, but up in the NE of China the IJA has a stack with 139,000 men and I have 80,000 defending the hex. They are doing wave attacks on me but I am winning with a 10 to 1 casualty advantage so far in 3 days of attacks. But I think supply might be an issue. The hex behind it has 3 big Chinese divisions so if I have to retreat they can't just rout me back to India. I still hold a couple islands in the Philippines which is helping me incredibly I think as they have hundreds of bombers in the PI to keep attack them. They won't hold out much more and when they fall those planes will no doubt be moved to the other fronts which will make my life much harder.

RevRick, congrats on the retirement....frees up a ton of game time my friend. I am on May 24, 1942 already and thinking each turn is 20 to 30 minutes, I have put a lot of time into my comeback already and I am absolutely loving it. The guys in the forum have helped me immensely and I am grateful for that.....Advice saved my but as I converted a few ships to AKE's to help with rearming TF's instead of having to run them to bigger ports to do it. I don't understand the AI sometimes....brilliant mostly but a couple moves have me scratching my head....Like TFs of LB's heading to Noumea/Koumeac twice. It is nice to see them be "obliterated" though with hits.

Scott in the Philippines

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Back in the game after 10 years, forgot everything lol Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI