Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Making the last Beta Official

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 12:37:35 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

While I applaud the effort, it's worth noting that the timing couldn't be worse. Alfred is the one person who had a near-comprehensive understanding of this issue....and now he's gone. Absent his input, the "final update" will inevitably be incomplete.

I'm glad someone else said this before me, and it can't be stressed enough. The rest of us collectively can scrape a superficial understanding of what needs addressed. Alfred's knowledge in this runs deep.

I'll bite.

Alfred's knowledge, while vast, also came with assertions that things which were clearly not working as intended or as documented were actually, to his mind and agenda, working as intended (the aforementioned CV reaction bug being one of those cases). He isn't infallible.

Same with some of the other small bugs mentioned here, like those in GA's thread or Kull's example.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 31
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 12:46:40 PM   
Lokasenna

A couple of exploits, if it's possible to fix them (and desirable - unsure if that's the case as they aren't gamebreaking):

-Land units that can't move by a certain mode of strategic transport (namely: they can't move by Grey Road on their own) can be set to follow other units via that road. E.g., you can't have a USN or Chinese unit strategic move over a Grey Road on its own, but if you have a British or US Army unit in the hex that you set to strategic move by that Grey Road first then you can use "Set all to follow" and the USN or Chinese unit(s) will use strategic move over that Grey Road. You can even halt the British/USA unit or separate the units from each other and the "can't use Grey Road" units will continue in this mode/movement as long as they do not get interrupted.

-You can transfer restricted air units to carriers in some cases if the CV is disbanded in port. This then makes the air unit Independent unrestricted. Not sure how big of a deal this is, really, given the other factors at play that would limit their use (it mainly applies to some Japanese units).

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 32
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 12:47:11 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

While I applaud the effort, it's worth noting that the timing couldn't be worse. Alfred is the one person who had a near-comprehensive understanding of this issue....and now he's gone. Absent his input, the "final update" will inevitably be incomplete.

I'm glad someone else said this before me, and it can't be stressed enough. The rest of us collectively can scrape a superficial understanding of what needs addressed. Alfred's knowledge in this runs deep.

I'll bite.

Alfred's knowledge, while vast, also came with assertions that things which were clearly not working as intended or as documented were actually, to his mind and agenda, working as intended (the aforementioned CV reaction bug being one of those cases). He isn't infallible.

Same with some of the other small bugs mentioned here, like those in GA's thread or Kull's example.

How you dare to say this? Guess that could be seen as blasphemy. It really speaks for Matrix and especially Erik to ask the community about any (gamebreaking) bugs before doing one final offical patch release because according to the before mentioned guy everything in the game would be working as intended and nobody but him would understand it correctly, most likely not even the developers.

Frankly, there hasn't been a gamebreaking bug in this game for over a decade IIRC and it's the best supported game I've ever bought. Applause to Matrix games!

The forum software still seems to be going back to the 90s though.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 12/5/2021 12:48:26 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 33
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 12:57:06 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

Agree, definitely not an infallible individual, but certainly the best resource when it came to what the underlying design intention of the developers was. See, for example, the Yamato/AKE issue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Frankly, there hasn't been a gamebreaking bug in this game for over a decade IIRC and it's the best supported game I've ever bought. Applause to Matrix games!

You may want to let however writes your AAR's know this then.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:18:12 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

How you dare to say this? Guess that could be seen as blasphemy. It really speaks for Matrix and especially Erik to ask the community about any (gamebreaking) bugs before doing one final offical patch release because according to the before mentioned guy everything in the game would be working as intended and nobody but him would understand it correctly, most likely not even the developers.

I remember Alfred identifying at least one aspect of ?? the Moose's ?? underway replenishment test that indicated a bug. That was within the last 5 or 6 years, before the final patches. He also showed why many excited assertions of bugs were indeed the product of misunderstandings about how the game exe functioned.

He's not here anymore, and the reason why posters continue sledging him in his absence is elusive.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 35
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:19:17 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

This may be more of a technical thing, but how about for the regular scenarios that have multiple AI files, something about how to move and save the files, swapping them back and forth, so when a player starts a game they can choose which one that the AI will use? There are quite a few of them and then each run through can be different.

The game picks the scripts at random at game start....GP

I understand this but if I could remember where to look, I could move all but one and then the one that was left would be picked. I could then switch the AI files and try the next one and so on. That way, the game against the AI would be different each time, at least initially.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 36
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:26:12 PM   
Ian R

I suspect you will find the answer in Andymac's topic where he provides the downloads.

To expand that a little, I think he identifies all the variation files that need to be removed to get the historical type game. That may be reverse engineer-able, but I would ask him what you need to keep.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 37
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:31:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

I suspect you will find the answer in Andymac's topic where he provides the downloads.

To expand that a little, I think he identifies all the variation files that need to be removed to get the historical type game. That may be reverse engineer-able, but I would ask him what you need to keep.

If I can remember where to look for the information . . .

I have another project that I am working on plus I plan on buying a couple more games. Oh the terrible life when a person does not work . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 38
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:34:02 PM   
pz501

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but who is Alfred? Is there any particular thread where I can read posts from him?

Everyone says he has the most knowledge when it comes to the workings of the game.

I've been away from WITP-AE for a long while, and I'm trying to catch up, so I'll appreciate any help.

Also, some posts say Alfred is "gone". Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Again my apology for sounding uneducated, and I hope you'll forgive my asking about something that appears to be common community knowledge.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 39
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:38:38 PM   
ny59giants

One minor bug I've encountered when playing as Japan is the capture of bases with industry that are empty of enemy LCUs. Whether they are captured by an auto flip at beginning of the turn or deliberate assault, the industry at the base is almost totally destroyed. It has been the most noticeable in the greater Calcutta area.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 12/5/2021 1:39:22 PM >

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 40
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:48:52 PM   
OnWargaming

quote:

ORIGINAL: pz501

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but who is Alfred? Is there any particular thread where I can read posts from him?

Everyone says he has the most knowledge when it comes to the workings of the game.

I've been away from WITP-AE for a long while, and I'm trying to catch up, so I'll appreciate any help.

Also, some posts say Alfred is "gone". Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Again my apology for sounding uneducated, and I hope you'll forgive my asking about something that appears to be common community knowledge.

Alfred

< Message edited by OnWargaming -- 12/5/2021 1:50:17 PM >

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 41
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:57:47 PM   
Ian R

quote:

If you search for answers to any difficult topic questions about the way AE operates, you will likely find a helpful, logical, answer from Alfred. I can't answer the rest of your question because I'm on a yellow card.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 42
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 1:58:29 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Alfred was banned for one week. The time is up and he has not returned.

Alfred's answers were 99.8% accurate. His answers included either the part of the manual, the relevant thread with answers from the developers, or both.

― Julia Child

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 43
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:02:04 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

I remember Alfred identifying at least one aspect of ?? the Moose's ?? underway replenishment test that indicated a bug. That was within the last 5 or 6 years, before the final patches. He also showed why many excited assertions of bugs were indeed the product of misunderstandings about how the game exe functioned.

He's not here anymore, and the reason why posters continue sledging him in his absence is elusive.

So you think the only one on the forum responsible for bug squashing is your AE god? Serious? There were so many bugs and so many people involved in identifying them it's close to ridicoulos to imply it's all dependend one a guy who has yet to show me any evidence of even playing this game. It might be my failure perhaps - and I was looking for it a long time - to see anyone posting on the forum that he was playing against the forum god. Nobody, never.

And just because you don't have noticed it, there was enough misunderstanding (maybe because the forum or the manual doesn't come up with it so the search function fails) on his part as well, always and always again coming up with something just plain wrong.

Latest example, LCU upgrades. No idea how often I have read it wrong but he kept insisting on LCUs only upgrade devices if a) replacements turned on and b) upgrades turned on. And A) is just totally f*cking wrong and he kept insisting on that's the way it works. It just doesn't which reminds me of the question if that guy ever played a single turn or if he's just the forum search function.

It's just as elusive that people praise the AE god in absence as others continue to sledge him perhaps?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 44
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:12:51 PM   
pz501

Thanks guys for the information regarding Alfred.

The responses were to say the least, educational, especially the picture of Michael Caine.

I'll leave everyone alone now, since I don't want to intrude any further into what appears to be a semi-private forum. Please forgive my ignorance. It won't happen again.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 45
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:14:07 PM   
Evoken

Can we stop talking about Alfred and derailing an important thread ? I wish moderators were more active on this forum every thread goes off topic

Post #: 46
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:25:46 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

The responses were to say the least, educational, especially the picture of Michael Caine.

I'll leave everyone alone now, since I don't want to intrude any further into what appears to be a semi-private forum. Please forgive my ignorance. It won't happen again.

You are welcome.

Please, do not leave. You input here is valuable and this is a public forum for anyone to post as long as they are logged in.

― Julia Child

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 47
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:26:46 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

So you think the only one on the forum responsible for bug squashing is your AE god? Serious? There were so many bugs and so many people involved in identifying them it's close to ridicoulos to imply it's all dependend one a guy who has yet to show me any evidence of even playing this game. It might be my failure perhaps - and I was looking for it a long time - to see anyone posting on the forum that he was playing against the forum god. Nobody, never.

And just because you don't have noticed it, there was enough misunderstanding (maybe because the forum or the manual doesn't come up with it so the search function fails) on his part as well, always and always again coming up with something just plain wrong.

Latest example, LCU upgrades. No idea how often I have read it wrong but he kept insisting on LCUs only upgrade devices if a) replacements turned on and b) upgrades turned on. And A) is just totally f*cking wrong and he kept insisting on that's the way it works. It just doesn't which reminds me of the question if that guy ever played a single turn or if he's just the forum search function.

It's just as elusive that people praise the AE god in absence as others continue to sledge him perhaps?

Appears someone needs help dealing with his inferiority complex.

Might want to work on removing that chip from your shoulder.

Maybe now Erik can get rid of me too.

Hans

Post #: 48
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:29:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Can we stop talking about Alfred and derailing an important thread ? I wish moderators were more active on this forum every thread goes off topic

Alfred is the most knowledgeable of those frequently posting recently until he was banned. Alfred was also the individual who was working on a new manual. Just because you did not like his answers, there is no need to become upset.

Others who were also knowledgeable and did testing have not posted for awhile.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 49
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:33:32 PM   
OnWargaming

quote:

Sorry about the picture, just a joke

This is not a semi-private forum and I am the living prove.
As inexperienced player I have tons of doubts about this game, I just started an AAR and I am receiving lot of support from people that dont't know me.

Therefore no need to leave or thinking it is a private affair, obvioulsy lot of players are here since 2009 and some posts have reference to previous things that new player are not able to understand (like me) but I think it is ok.

< Message edited by OnWargaming -- 12/5/2021 2:36:00 PM >

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 50
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:35:14 PM   
Kull

There is a rather unusual bug that causes Base hexes (i.e. those with Ports and Airfields) to shift over to "Airfield" hexes (i.e no Port capability). Three different people have reported this, and while it does not appear to be a common bug, it's certainly a puzzling one. See this thread for screenshots and discussion. I've tried to replicate this using the editor and can offer some hints if/when a programmer decides to pursue it.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 51
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:36:17 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Alfred is the one person who had a near-comprehensive understanding of this issue....and now he's gone.

OMG! What happened? This is quite personally upsetting to me.

I have had quite a few family problems over the last few months and haven't been as active on the board and not seen anything about it.

When did he pass?

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 52
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:37:11 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

As much as you may wish it to be otherwise, knowledge of the game mechanics has absolutely no influence on understanding how those mechanics work under the hood or if an issue exists or not.

As far as I know, the only AE dev to produce an AAR was Andy Mac. Are you implying that JWE, jwilkerson, Don Bowen and others that worked on the game are required to "prove" their competence by demonstrated that they play the game?

quote:

Can you provide an example of that?

quote:

Can you provide a link to where this occured?

quote:

I do get the sense that the appreciation for Alfred's contribution from the wider forum is seriously messing with a select minority within the forum that were revelling in the schadenfreude from Alfred's departure.

That's quite sad, all in all, but alas what could be expected from the usual suspects?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

It's perfectly relevant to the matter at hand, given Alfred's extensive knowledge of the game and historical discussions and commentary provided by the devs on the forum. Particularly the last element is important for anyone who works with code - oft times knowing the intention allows working backwards to understand what the aim is for particular segments of code.

I do note that you joined the forum via this account in late 2019 - Alfred's contributions run a significant number of years before that.

If you are concerned about the progress of an important thread, then you should be concerned about those with important contributions to make to the thread being able to do so.

NB: Do not interpret the above as a judgement on time an account has been live on the forum and the value of opinions expressed. I am highlighting here that there is literally years of discussions, comments and threads that Alfred can draw on that the vast majority of users (be it old-timers or relatively new) will not know of.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 12/5/2021 2:50:01 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:38:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnWargaming

quote:

Sorry about the picture, just a joke

This is not a semi-private forum and I am the living prove.
As inexperienced player I have tons of doubts about this game, I just started an AAR and I am receiving lot of support from people that dont't know me.

Therefore no need to leave or thinking it is a private affair, obvioulsy lot of players are here since 2009 and some post have some reference to previous things that new player are not able to understand.

Joking is a good thing.

Yes, AARs are an excellent way to get advice.

I personally think that pictures like these are better to look at . . .

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to OnWargaming)
Post #: 54
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:39:07 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Alfred is the one person who had a near-comprehensive understanding of this issue....and now he's gone.

I have had quite a few family problems over the last few months and haven't been as active on the board and not seen anything about it.

When did he pass?

Fortunately, Alfred's absence is not of that nature.

Worth revisiting this recent thread.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 55
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 2:53:30 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

When did he pass?

Fortunately, Alfred's absence is not of that nature.

Worth revisiting this recent thread.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Post #: 56
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 3:00:48 PM   
Kull

Although it is discussed in the Bug Compilation thread I linked earlier, the "TRACOM Bug" is very serious and should be looked at. TRACOM is supposed to be a pilot training acceleration mechanism, but unfortunately it can do much more. Several players have reported that when TRACOM contains more than 100 pilots, it also increases the national experience number. When you look at the screenshot below, keep in mind that the IJN pilot national experience number (the highest level of experience a new pilot can graduate with) is supposed to be capped at 34 in 1943. Instead, the bug produces results like this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

... but a player who makes a serious effort to populate TRACOM (with say 100 or more pilots) is going to see some very noticeable improvements.

Oh yeah, improvements you might see. just maybe not what you could've expected

Both are stock 1 scenarios

< Message edited by Kull -- 12/5/2021 3:01:31 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 3:47:10 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll bite.

You seem to have misinterpreted my post.

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 58
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 5:00:11 PM   
Rogue188

I am someone who has always wanted to really get into this game, but have been limited by time and patience. These are my thoughts:

1. I use TOPO's maps. Frankly I can't tell you if they are normal or extended or even the difference between the two.
2. I have my switches set to 1920x1080 with the deep color.
3. Halsey and Brian's updated plane and ship art with the unit insignia.

I can't tell you if there are bugs and I don't know how to use the Tracker. I am aware of a few other external tools to help the player keep track of everything.

If you are taking any requests these are my thoughts:

1. Hyperlink intel reports and the hex number. I have never really figured out the numbering pattern and getting a report of radio traffic in hex 160,87 is impossible for me to find.
2. Better description of damaged vs full strength LCUs. When I see something like Support (24) x56, what does that mean? Does that mean it has 24 less of something? Am I supposed to multiply 24 by 56? I have always been confused by this.
3. Airfield and shipyard abilities at a glance. I know there is some math equation to determine the minimum airfield size vs engine number, but I don't know the formula off the top of my head. Cant the aircraft information page just say minimum AF size 7 or something? Same thing with ship yards, something that says: can reload torpedoes, mines, etc Yes/No.
4. ANYTHING that will cut down on the click fest!
5. The ability to scroll in and out on the map with the mouse wheel.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 59
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/5/2021 5:25:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rogue188

I am someone who has always wanted to really get into this game, but have been limited by time and patience. These are my thoughts:

1. I use TOPO's maps. Frankly I can't tell you if they are normal or extended or even the difference between the two.
2. I have my switches set to 1920x1080 with the deep color.
3. Halsey and Brian's updated plane and ship art with the unit insignia.

I can't tell you if there are bugs and I don't know how to use the Tracker. I am aware of a few other external tools to help the player keep track of everything.

If you are taking any requests these are my thoughts:

1. Hyperlink intel reports and the hex number. I have never really figured out the numbering pattern and getting a report of radio traffic in hex 160,87 is impossible for me to find.
Yes, that can be difficult . . .
2. Better description of damaged vs full strength LCUs. When I see something like Support (24) x56, what does that mean? Does that mean it has 24 less of something? Am I supposed to multiply 24 by 56? I have always been confused by this.
That means that 24 are disabled and 56 are fully working.
3. Airfield and shipyard abilities at a glance. I know there is some math equation to determine the minimum airfield size vs engine number, but I don't know the formula off the top of my head. Cant the aircraft information page just say minimum AF size 7 or something? Same thing with ship yards, something that says: can reload torpedoes, mines, etc Yes/No.
Airfield 1 - only defensive missions
Airfield 2 - offensive missions, 1E bombers fine, all torpedo bombers with attack with torpedoes if available.
Airfield 4 - 2Es
Then the 4E bombers need larger airfields to fly at their maximum capabilities.
The Airfield size also determines how many aircraft that the air bases can handle without running into space problems. This does not include any modifications due to HQs. The aircraft still need air support.

4. ANYTHING that will cut down on the click fest!
Oh no, more micromanagement!
5. The ability to scroll in and out on the map with the mouse wheel.
Windows may have a zoom function that might work . . .

Feel free to ask questions but I suggest that you do search the forum first. That are some forum threads that are highly useful.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rogue188)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI