Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 6th Army Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 6th Army Campaign Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/24/2021 1:10:32 PM   
ernieschwitz

Plans have changed, for the 6th Army's advance. I have been told that one of the finest traditions of the German officer corps, is to allow freedom of action, and to use that freedom to gain tactical advantages.

Here is an example of that.

Instead of going southwards, and then east along the map, towards Dubno, my II Panzer Corps (renamed by me; the pink HQ), they have trashed through Vladimir Volonsk and headed straight for Lutsk.

The I Panzer Corps (again renamed by me; the Grey HQ), has had a fast paced adventure too. They quickly grabbed Kovel, and headed towards Kiversky, but on the way met up with the II Panzer Corps.

This has led to the encirclement of a large Soviet force. Among them is at least parts of one Tank Division, and possibly a whole Motorized Infantry Divsion. The composition of a regiment of a Soviet Tank Regiment (1940-41), is included in the picture below (all the way down).

It's only turn 4, and already the scenario is going great. Well, maybe in historical hindsight I shouldn't be too elated, it is after all Barbarossa's opening stage.

Attachment (1)

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
    Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.

Try this Global WW2 Scenario: GD1938v3

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 31
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/24/2021 4:51:15 PM   
ernieschwitz

Advancing along the road from Kiversky to Rovno was an easy task for the I Panzer Corps (Grey HQ). Much easier than the task that the II Panzer Corps (Pink HQ) stood in front of with Lutsk. The bridges had been blown and there are swamps on either side. So the II Panzer Corps had to sacrifice some troops and materials to bridge the river further down. From there they were able to dislodge the rather strong presence of Soviet forces in Lutsk. Once those had been broken down, however it took only two days to get to Rovno, which is the main objective of the Scenario, with 8 turns to spare...

Perhaps I made this scenario too easy. Play testers will have to tell me.

Here is the final positions as I am about to claim victory (by playing the Victory Card).

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 32
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/24/2021 4:59:36 PM   
ernieschwitz

In the following you can see my losses and the Soviet (AI) losses.

I don't like that I have lost more Pz IIIs amd IVs than Is and IIs. The Soviet Air Force was destroyed while on the ground.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 33
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/26/2021 7:36:57 PM   
ernieschwitz

I've reached the first Intermezzo scenario. In this scenario, which is a sort of campaign screen, you are able to buy new formations and the like, as well as reorganize your troops. Movement of troops on the map costs nothing. So you can move them around all you like and they will be where you place them.

The screen that meets you might however be a bit confusing. It looks something like the picture below (taken from my game). Units scattered all over the map.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 34
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/26/2021 7:40:06 PM   
ernieschwitz

I like to zoom in on the map, to make it more simple to get an overview. Done like that this is what it looks like.

The imagine below the top one (they are both one imagine, but you can clearly see one has units stacked on top of each other), is how I like to organize the troops. Distinct piles of similar types near their own HQs. I like to transfer troops from one regiment to the others and then make an estimate of how many troops I need to buy, if any. I also look at the previous losses for this.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 35
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/26/2021 7:45:44 PM   
ernieschwitz

I decided that I needed to purchase some Engineers for my new Infantry Corps, that I made before the Barbarossa scenario. I had lacked them, at one point during the game, where I wanted to cross a river, to give me an advantage. Other than that, I merge a few units, and end up down 2 infantry regiments. I re-assign infantry regiments so that the total infantry regiments that I have are equally distributed.

Below is a list of my forces as present. I paid a price for having a lot of PPs after Enveloping Paris. I could easily research and expand my forces, but upgrading has been something I needed to pick and choose to do. So far I've upgraded my two mobile corps, and some Artillery in another corps. But as can be seen, I am far from having level II stuff in every formation.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 36
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/27/2021 7:21:44 AM   
ernieschwitz

Next up, Kiev. Our job, capture it.

I tried making a very big map, showing just how much group I need to cover. I do have 20 turns to do it. Also because of the large amounts of PPs I have, I'll concentrate on building supplies, though it does not seem there will be much opportunity for it.

Here is the plan, for my two Panzer Corps.

I have played this scenario once before in a playthough, before I discovered some bugs, and back then I took the same southern route, but I chose a nothern route too, going up to Korosten, and from there just following the railroad all the way to Kiev. I wanted something different this time.

I apologize for the Quality of the image. There is a limit of 500kb for images in this forum.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 37
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/28/2021 7:26:23 AM   
ernieschwitz

So far things have been quiet. Battles have been almost non-existent with those that have taken place really being at a disadvantage to the Soviets. No real losses to German soldiers.

That changed! On turn 3, this is the message I am greeted with as I start the turn:

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 38
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/28/2021 7:34:42 AM   
ernieschwitz

So, sometimes you don't really want to get what you wished for: More resistance. It would seem I got it.

On the map below you can see that the Russians have attacked three places, at least 1 of them with artillery support.

On the map you will see red arrows, indicating Soviet attacks. Orange circles, showing where the units went that were attacked, and either an orange arrow, that indicates that my units fled, or a red stop sign, meaning they held.

The first place was units trying to flank and cut off my armor from supplies. They hit a Panzer Regiment, that lost some tanks, and became very disorganized (lost readiness). They did kill a lot of BT-7 tanks.

The second place, middle of the map, my two infantry regiments held. One of them has lost 1/4 of its combat strength, and the other not as much. I will withdraw them and replace them with others, hoping they will regain readiness and be ready once more when needed (and I am sure it will be a when, not an if).

The third and last place was towards the bottom of the map. Here a single Infantry regiment was pushed aside easily by the Soviets. It also lost about 1/4 its strength. Like the two others, this one will be withdrawn and replaced by other regiments in the line.

As for the deployment in general, those spearheads I was counting on might need to withdraw behind the line, and wait for a hole to exploit. Time for the infantry to do some heavy lifting!

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 39
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/28/2021 11:06:51 AM   
ernieschwitz

A few more turns have passed. Man the Soviets are putting up good resistance. I'd even say they have an offensive going in the area where the fighting is most intense (see picture). Also my losses are really adding up.

I am considering making a change in my plans. The I Panzer Corps had a breakthrough up north and reach Radomysl. My change in plan would be to send them south to pocket this offensive that the Russians are making. My V (Black stripe) and III Infantry Corps (Orange stripe) are really beat up. V is barely functional. I had to put my II Panzer Corps on the line, to stop a breakthrough.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 40
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/28/2021 4:11:21 PM   
ernieschwitz

September 1st, 1941.

Soviet Resistance is gone. This is the 9th turn, and the first turn without any losses on my side. It has been costly. I would have shown a map, but my screen grabber (that makes panoramic shots) is not cooperating. Suffice to say I did divert my free Panzer Corps, and it did help out a bit, but I lost control of Radomsyl. Now all Corpses are moving forward, except in the south, where the city of Korostychev just fell, but troops are still blocking the bridge.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 41
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/29/2021 9:12:57 AM   
ernieschwitz

The 6th Army now stands in Kiev. It's the 5th September 1941. Several enemy units are still on the map, but I tried to eliminate as many as possible. Sometimes they will show up in the next scenario, and also killing them is free experience for my troops.

The plan that I showed, worked mostly as drawn up. Now and then the two mobile Corps had to be diverted to help out an Infantry Corps that had gotten too stuck in with the enemy and needed help. The two Corps that below have reached Kiev are both of my Panzer Corps,as can be seen on the map.

In general the northern forces suffered the least losses, while the infantry Corps in particular, took heavy losses. One I had to pull out entirely of combat (V Corps, Black stripe), to reorganize it. It ended up only fielding 4 regiments that had any combat ability.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 42
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/29/2021 9:16:40 AM   
ernieschwitz

The battle itself, like I said earlier, was a bloodbath. I have had to buy several regiments of infantry, reinforcements, and an infantry division to make up for the Infantry losses. I still haven't completed my purchases of replacement equipment for Panzer Corps. I expect I will buy more tanks for them, and more armored cars. I already bought some more SP Guns.

Here are the final losses, note that while I did get a very bloody nose, the Soviets lost at least 6 times as many infantry than I did. So there is something to brighten my day... A little.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 43
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/29/2021 2:29:08 PM   
ernieschwitz

Going into the 6th Scenario, the 1st Battle of Kharkov, my forces look like below. I tried upgrading as many infantry regiments and artillery regiments as possible. I didn't find all of them, I can see from the overview, but the upgrades I hope will help me against the upgraded Soviet forces.

I chose to merge experienced forces, rather than letting them be mixed with new replacements. So my OOB includes both very raw troops, and highly experienced formations, with high morale. I hope those in particular will be able to fight the main battles, while the others just hold the line, or mop up when needed.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 44
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 11/30/2021 1:46:47 AM   
ernieschwitz

This is how scenario 6 looks, with my plans drawn out on it.

The dotted lines are where I am planning that my Infantry Corps be deployed. The arrows mark out the only real approaches to Kharkov, and which Panzer Corps is taking that route.

Learning from last time, I think there will be some resistance, so I might keep the Panzer Corps behind the Infantry Corps, when I come into contact with the Soviets. Then when there is a hole, smash through it, and exploit. The 17th Army has our flank, and we'll keep out of their operational zone (we can't enter it anyway).

For history buffs, we are going to pass through Poltava.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 45
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/1/2021 1:45:49 PM   
ernieschwitz

The first stage of the Scenario has ended. Resistance is not over, but the 6th Army has pocketed a large force, that was making trouble during the initial stages of the offensive. Resistance on the flanks of the map was low, to non-existent, so I am showing a picture of the central part of the map, where most of the combat occurred.

My losses this time were not as great as before. I think this was because my line was less thinly manned where the Soviets attacked. Two regiments in each hex seems to do the trick. I held back my Panzer Corps just like planned, well one of them. I'll show a map of their routes in the next post. This one, is of the pocket, and main combat area.

If you don't know where this is, just look at the mini-map on the top left.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 46
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/1/2021 2:04:37 PM   
ernieschwitz

The II Panzer Corps started out heading for Lokhvista and Brisi, and then went eastwards. Not really meeting any resistance, and at the time the central forces looked like they needed help. The I Panzer Corps was waiting behind the lines in the center, trying to counter whatever Soviet breakthroughs happened. Two occurred, and were dealt with.

Meanwhile the II Panzer Corps continued east, after having turned southward. Some turned eastwards and made contact with the Soviets a bit west of Lebedin (1). Not wanting to be flanked, those forces were scouted, and turned out to be two Soviet Rifle Regiments. They were dealt with, and the forces here advanced on Lebedin.

The flanking move made by II Panzer corps of what turned into a pocket, found it could head east and let the infantry take care of the side of the pocket. They did so, and after a while, didn't encounter resistance. So they moved south to finish the encirclement (2).

At the same time the I Panzer Corps, seeing that the central Soviet forces were withdrawing, decided to sprint eastwards, toward Poltava, and the bridges near it.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 47
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/2/2021 12:45:23 AM   
ernieschwitz

Bad news and good news. Let us begin with the good news. The pocket that we captured, has been reduced to one hex now. They will surely be destroyed this turn, which is October 10th 1941. Unfortunately that also means bad news. The Russian fall has begun, and it's mud everywhere. Supply lines are somewhat affected, and I need to get my troops closer to roads, as only rail lines and those roads are unaffected.

Here is the message you get from the game:

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 48
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/2/2021 12:47:55 AM   
ernieschwitz

This might be a good time to show off some of the graphics work I did. I quickly had to give up finding real pictures for some of the terrain types that I use. One of those that it was especially hard to find was fields in the winter, as well as during the fall/mud time.

So I came up with a solution, a black and white photo, with a colored symbol on it that signified what kind of weather it was. Here are the pictures I used for fields.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 49
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/2/2021 1:22:52 AM   
ernieschwitz

Akhtyrka is the name of the newest conquest of the German Reich. It is an important city on the Northern part of the map, with, most importantly, a rail line leading to Kharkov. The bridge had not been blown, but the engineers were just one hex away from it (in the center of Akhtyrka). They did not manage to flee the Panzers and Motorized Infantry.

Here is a snapshot of the situation.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 50
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/2/2021 1:25:53 AM   
ernieschwitz

The situation in the South was a bit more precarious. The Panzers and Motorized Infantry of the I Panzer Corps had to get their feet wet, because the bridges had been blown. Once the abandoned (for some reason) hex had been conquered, the engineers of the Panzer Corps, put up bridges and crossings could occur as normal.

Here is a snapshot of Poltava, and areas nearby.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 51
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/2/2021 11:31:15 AM   
ernieschwitz

October 17th, 1941: Kharkov has fallen, with 6 turns left. This gives me a nice PP boost, and I am able to research all the new technologies the are level III (those that would be used in 1942). I also have some 112 PPs to spare, so new formations would be nice, and of course replacements are needed. Now to figure out what to use those PPs for.

Here is a look at the map, kills and losses for the Scenario.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 52
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/4/2021 6:09:58 PM   
ernieschwitz

So the start of a new "real life campaign season" has begun. I need to replace my losses like I wrote about in the above. Mostly I have done that. I am musing buying a bit more troops for each formation, but I think I won't. I can also buy some new stuff, after all I have researched. The cards reflect that too.

Below are my new choices for formations and reinforcement types I simply did not have access to before.

First my Non-Formations, 3x Tiger tanks (or 15), those could come in handy.

Second row are my new Low Level Formation options: Panzer Grenadiers, and Panzer Grenadier SPGs Regiments are the most exciting of those. I included the other two formations Panzer Grenadiers Artillery and Panzer Regiments, so that the next row becomes more legible.

Third row! The new divisions (High Level Formations). The Panzer Divisions (which I cannot afford with my PPs) have changed. 2 Panzer Regiments, 1 Panzer Grenadiers Regiment and 1 Panzer Grenadiers Artillery Regiment. Then there is the whole new formation type the Panzer Grenadiers Division. I'll let you look at that, and find out what it consists of as an exercise for yourself (as the Math books taught me how to say).

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 53
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/6/2021 7:19:37 PM   
ernieschwitz

Some of you might have noticed a slight hesitancy in me not progressing as fast with this campaign at the moment. This is because of two things. First thing is I am making scenario 8 and 9 ready for playtesting... the second thing is that I know this coming scenario (2nd Battle of Kharkov) is going to be hard. So I am trying to figure out what to buy, what to upgrade, and such.

Right now I am wondering, should I get 2 Cavalry divisions (22 PP in total, 4 regiments) or a Panzer Grenadiers Regiment (25 PPs, 1 regiment). The cavalry will be very useful in this next scenario, with its greater speed than the infantry, it will cover more ground quickly, and that is needed in this next scenario. On the other hand, I am not sure they are as useful, in the coming scenarios, beyond that. What would you guys do?

While I mull that, here is how my Panzer Regiments and Light Regiments look now. I have done away with the lighter stuff in the Panzer Regiments, and they do look more or less like the real thing. The Light divisions, not as much...

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 54
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/6/2021 8:06:30 PM   
ernieschwitz

I thought it might be interesting to see the map, before I finished composing my force, and thus the conundrum that I face could better be envisaged.

My Deployment zone is Kharkov, and nothing else. The Soviets gain Victory if they can get their hands on Kharkov. They also have some minor objectives, basically taking the bigger cities at maps edges, which would present the Germans (me) with a problem. The supply lines could be broken. So I need speed to prevent breakthroughs at the edge of the map... Sounds like a job for my mobile forces, and I would agree with that, except that some of the combat will likely happen in the swamps between Krasnograd (the yellow city without a circle around it, to the southwest), and Kolomak (the Minor Victory Area above it).

Tanks don't go into swamps. Cavalry and Infantry do.

I have to take Izyum btw, which is at the Southeastern corner of the map.

(I hope the borders are visible, on this much reduced in size map)

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 55
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/6/2021 11:07:56 PM   
ernieschwitz

I decided to go with the Cavalry. Two divisions, or 4 regiments, to a cost of 22 PPs in total. I still have 28 PPs left, but I will save them for a rainy day. I did decide to improve the cavalry formations a little. I added a mortar section to each. I hope that is going to make them a bit more offensive. At the moment they look very defensive in nature.

Here is a picture of a Cavalry regiment.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 56
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/6/2021 11:50:27 PM   
ernieschwitz

The mad scramble has begun. All my troops began in Kharkov, like I alluded to earlier. Some stacks were 6-7 units high, which may seem daunting.

My sprint towards the edges of the maps can be seen on the map as the arrows. The purple one is my I Panzer Corps. I upgraded everything I could in it, save a few infantry in Artillery units, and a all the Flak. The grey arrow is the II Panzer Corps, and I upgraded it the same way.

The Green Corps, which I've drawn a line to represent where I hope they will have a frontline, is the III Corps. It has my new Cavalry Regiments, as well as a Hungarian Light Division, that became available at the beginning of the turn. Not that I expect them to do great, but anything that can slow down the Soviet offensive will be welcome.

The Blue line, is where I expect to have my IV Corps deployed, it is still marching to that location. The Orange line is my II Corps, and it is very experienced. I hope they will be able to hold back the assault there, on Kharkov. They will be flanked by the I Corps (White Line), and rounding out the defence, is the forces to the north of Kharkov, the not so experienced V Corps. (Black Line).

Now I can only await the onslaught.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 57
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/7/2021 3:40:29 AM   
ernieschwitz

Much like anticipated this battle is a bloodbath. The Soviet Offensive is really strong on the first 5 turns. My losses are bigger than any battle before this. I am 5 turns in out of 20.

Here is the map, and positions of the different Corps that I have.

I Panzer Corps is split. Half of it holding back the Soviet troops trying to advance in the North, the other half is defending the flank of V Corps, that is barely holding the line, north of Kharkov. I Corps has all but shattered. It still has strong units, but some of the units are decimated, one has even lost all it's heavy equipment. The troops are fighting in the suburbs of Kharkov, and have been for the last 3 turns, hastily closing holes that have been punched in the line by Soviet forces.

II Corps is doing well. So well, that I've been able to syphon off units, to block advances into Kharkov. IV Corps has shifted slightly to the east, to cover the shortened line of the II Corps. III Corps is mainly supporting the II Panzer Corps, by moving into positions along with the tanks and mobile units, after they have attacked. On the far east flank, the 4 Cavalry Regiments, of the III Corps, have the assignment to hold back whatever the Soviets might be sending up the flank.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 58
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/7/2021 3:49:37 AM   
ernieschwitz

Here are the losses for each side.

Note that each German Infantry Regiment is 4000 men not including machineguns and so on. With that in mind, I've lost about 2 whole divisions. I've also lost what amounts to 2 Light Panzer Regiments, of the kind shown somewhere above, and 1 whole Panzer Regiment.

Those are losses I can ill afford, but I don't get to choose.

On the other hand, the Soviets have lost huge swaths of troops. That must be good, right? I mean how many more can they have?

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 59
RE: 6th Army Campaign - 12/7/2021 6:18:30 AM   
ernieschwitz

Time flies, and so does time in this game. Meaning, now I stayed up all night to see if I could beat the AI in this scenario. Things were close there for a while. But now, 10 turns in, 21st of May 1942, things look under control.

The I Panzer Corps has taken and cleared resistance in the North East corner of the map, and will now travel southwards, hopefully making good speed. V Corps has now cleared most of their resistance too, and is moving steadily forwards, and helping out I Corps, that are fighting Soviet forces that are caught up in the area before Kharkov. A single unit, of infantry and a mortar section has slipped through the lines in the sector occupied by the II Corps. They will be dealt with this turn, and are no threat.

The supply situation of IV Corps is a bit strained, as there is no bridge over the river they just crossed, but they are making good time, and advancing. III Corps, the one with Cavalry and the Hungarians, is advancing too. The Cavalry is on the extreme left hand side of the map, holding off a Soviet Rifle Regiment, and a Mechanized Brigade. Brave guys, considering they only have "doorknockers" PAK 37mm, and Anti-Tank Rifles. The Mechanized corps has some real armor... T-34s. They must be considered very brave. Their strategy has been to deny the Soviet forces their supplies, slowly causing them readiness loss.

II Panzer Corps is still fighting a moving battle, but mostly they have won. Soon they will need to travel eastwards, to help to Capture Izyum, unless I want a draw... 10 turns left, not a lot of time.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 6th Army Campaign Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI