Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan - 12/12/2021 9:39:15 AM   
caohailiang

i try to make this scenario pack as close to reality as possible, but i would fail unless i can get your valuable input, especially on the US/Japan side. appreciate!
----------------
This campaign is designed to simulate a conflict between China and US/Japan over Taiwan. It contains 2 scenarios, namely "God of War" and "Breaking PLA IADS", which are to simulate 2 air-sea battles taking place simultaneously in West Pacific.

In the first scenario "Breaking PLA IADS", it is assumed that PLA has successfully suppressed Taiwan air and naval defense, and now are transporting ground forces across the strait. US & Japan decide to intervene militarily by launching offensive air operation around Taiwan, so that a corridor can be opened for anti-ship missile salvo to come through to sink PLA convoy.

In the second scenario "God of War", in order to disrupt US/Japan's offensive around Taiwan, PLA launches an counter-offensive of their own against US/JP targets on first&second island chains.

Design considerations of this campaign:

1, PLA Northern Theater Command (NTC) is excluded from the scenario. Correspondingly, ROKAF, USFK are excluded from the scenario. JASDF units in Chitose, Misawa and Hyakuri are also excluded.

2,All twelve PLAAF brigades operate JH-7A & Su-30MK are assumed to be occupied with strike mission over Taiwan island, thus excluded from this campaign. Five J-10 & Flanker brigades from PLA Western/Southern Theater Command (WTC/STC) are re-enforced to airbases along east Chinese coast, mainly for air superiority missions.

3, 5 USAF units are forward deployed from Alaska/Hawaii/CONUS/Guam. At the meantime, INDOPACOM and JSDF have evacuated Kadena/Naha and redeployed those units to rear airbases in Japanese main islands, as a precaution to PLA missile strike.

4, In each one of the 2 scenarios, you will only find part of the full ORBAT.

5, In "Breaking PLA IADS", player can control US/Japan side and PLA is designed to conduct defensive operation only. Vice versa, in "God of War", player can control PLA side and US/Japan side is designed to conduct defensive operation only.

------------------Breaking PLA IADS----------------

Commander,

Your mission is to disable PLA air defense around Taiwan strait and sink as many PLA transport ships as possible in the next 24 hours.

Your forces:

INDOPACOM:

44th FS, 67th FS in Hamamatsu AB (F-15C/D)

355th FS, 356th FS in Kanoya AB (F-35A)

525th FS, 90th FS in Iwo Jima Airport (F-22A)

VMFA-121, VMFA-242 in Iwakuni MCAS (F-35B)

9th BS in Anderson AB (B-1B)

CSG Ronald Regan & CSG Theodore Roosevelt

USS Ohio & USS Michigan

JSDF:

204 Hikotai, 304 Hikotai in Nagoya AB (F-15J)

23 Hikotai, 305 Hikotai in Nyutabaru AB (F-15J)

6 Hikotai, 8 Hikotai in Tsuiki AB (F-2A/B)

Known enemy forces:

12th Air Brigade in Luqiao (J-10A/J-10C)

5th Air Brigade in Longtian (J-10A/J-10C) from Guilin

131st Air Brigade in Huian (J-10A/J-10C) from Luliang

124th Air Brigade in Zhangzhou (J-10A/J-10C) from Baise

25th Air Brigade in Shantou (J-10A/J-10C)

40th Air Brigade in Nanchang (J-16)

41st Air Regiment in Wuyishan (J-11B)

26th Air Brigade in Huiyang (J-16)

Also our satallites have been tracking PLAN fleets, up to 20 destroyers (055/052D/052C) and 15 frigates (054A) patroling in the strait, providing air defense to the ongoing sea lift operation.

------------------------------------------------------
------------------God of war----------------
Commander,

Your mission is to strike enemy targets on the first/second island chain to disrupt their ongoing aggression over Taiwan. You should destroy as many enemy aircrafts as possible in the following locations: Kanoya AB, MCAS Iwakuni, Nyutabaru AB, Tsuiki AB, Iwo Jima AB, Anderson AB, Komatsu AB, Nagoya AB, Hamamatsu AB

Units at your disposal

9th Air Brigade in Wuhu (J-20)

7th Air Brigade in Wuhu (J-16)

98th Air Brigade (J-16) from Chongqing to Suzhou,

6th Air Brigade (Su-35) from Suixi to Rugao

95th Air Brigade at Lianyungang (J-11B)

24th Air Regiment at Leiyang (H-6K)

22nd Air Regiment at Shaodong (H-6K)

28th Air Regiment at Anqing (H-6K)

29th Air Regiment at Luhe (H-6H)

30th Air Regiment at Luhe (H-6M)

106th Air Brigade at Dengzhou (H-6K)

108th Air Regiment at Wugong (H-6K)

107th Air Regiment at Lintong (H-6H)

Several PLARF missile brigades with DF-21C/DF-26C/DF-10 are also part your strike force.

Known Enemy Forces

44th FS, 67th FS in Hamamatsu AB (F-15C/D)

355th FS, 356th FS in Kanoya AB (F-35A)

525th FS, 90th FS in Iwo Jima Airport (F-22A)

VMFA-121, VMFA-242 in Iwakuni MCAS (F-35B)

204 Hikotai, 304 Hikotai in Nagoya AB (F-15J)

23 Hikotai, 305 Hikotai in Nyutabaru AB (F-15J)

6 Hikotai, 8 Hikotai in Tsuiki AB (F-2A/B)

Numorous Patriot missile batteries are deployed around important targets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by caohailiang -- 12/12/2021 9:42:45 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan - 12/12/2021 10:32:25 PM   
Fido81

I looked at the Breaking the PLA IADS scenario, and here are some quick thoughts.

1 The total US inventory is 4x Ohio-class SSGNs, with 2 on each coast. My uninformed opinion is that it's unlikely PACFLT would allocate both of its boats to the same combat operations (assuming their deployment schedules permit it at all). I think it's more likely they'd fill a requirement for that number of long-range cruise missiles in other ways (the player's already got 2 CSGs worth, which is a lot, and they could just fly strategic bombers with cruise missiles non-stop from CONUS like they did in Iraq in '91 if they needed even more). Given the use of so many PLAN vessels, if you really want that many Tomahawks, I think you should consider replacing one of the Ohios with a couple Virginias in/around the Taiwan Strait so they can engage in ASuW too.
2 The PRC OOB does not have any SHORAD or medium-range SAMs, which are an important part of an IADS.
3 I can't kill the airfields because they're all single-unit, so I can't kill any PRC aircraft on the ground. I personally prefer to kill aircraft on the ground, so this is going to make life complicated in ways I'm not excited about.
4 Are you sure the player has enough tanker support to put major strikes from 2x CVW and aircraft from Japan on target?
5 I recommend setting up at least some CSG with more traditional ARM loadouts and buddy stores. Alternatively, you could add 6 more hours to the scenario and let the player pick their own weapons.
6 If Kadena has been evacuated and not yet destroyed, I recommend having it as a base without hosted aircraft in the scenario, so the player can use it as a divert airfield.
7 If a unit is forward-deployed but has not yet experienced combat, they wouldn't have taken any busted aircraft with them, so I imagine its aircraft availability rate would be nearly 100% of forward-deployed aircraft (aircraft not capable of flying into combat would likely not deploy, so unless a plane broke during the deployment flight or was damaged during post-flight maintenance, it should be good to go).

This pack draft is very ambitious and looks interesting, so I'm excited to see where you take it. Have you considered whether these events might be a good fit for a PBEM scenario if they're supposed to play out at the same time?

(in reply to caohailiang)
Post #: 2
RE: new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan - 12/19/2021 4:25:05 AM   
nogravity

The distance is a problem for the US-Japan side. I did make two changes:
1 - The tanker at Guam are set to ready
2 - F-2 at Tsuiki are armed with ASM

The result is a minor victory but with huge cost to both sides. PLA DDG screen suffer heavy lost but my LRASM cannot get through the final SAM layer put up by 054A/056. 4 landing ships were sunk in the end. However, if the time is extended with US bomber/striker for second wave attack, the PLAN fleet can be wiped out.

Minor Victory

SIDE: US/Japan
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x E-3B Sentry
1x E-3C Sentry
2x E-767 Sentinel
26x F/A-18E Super Hornet
6x F/A-18F Super Hornet
18x F-15C Eagle
12x F-15DJ Eagle J-MSIP
24x F-15J Eagle J-MSIP
10x F-22A Raptor
14x F-2A
8x F-2B
7x F-35B Lightning II

SIDE: China

LOSSES:
21x BZK-005 Sea Eagle UAV
1x Il-78M Midas
39x J-10A Vigorous Dragon
24x J-10C Vigorous Dragon
35x J-10C Vigorous Dragon
9x J-11BS Flanker C [Su-27UBK Copy]
31x J-16 Flying Shark [Su-30MKK Copy]
3x KJ-200 Cub [GX5]
2x KJ-2000 Mainring [A-50]
21x KJ-500 Cub [GX9]
3x Y-8G Cub [GX4]
12x Y-9G Cub [GX11]
8x Type 052D Luyang III [173 Changsha]
7x Type 054A Jiangkai II [530 Xuzhou]
1x Type 055 Nanchang [101 Nanchang, Zheng He]
4x Type 056A Jiangdao [593 Sanmenxia]
4x Type 072-III Yuting IIA [911 Tianzhushan]

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 3
RE: new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan - 12/20/2021 5:22:54 AM   
caohailiang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fido81

I looked at the Breaking the PLA IADS scenario, and here are some quick thoughts.

1 The total US inventory is 4x Ohio-class SSGNs, with 2 on each coast. My uninformed opinion is that it's unlikely PACFLT would allocate both of its boats to the same combat operations (assuming their deployment schedules permit it at all). I think it's more likely they'd fill a requirement for that number of long-range cruise missiles in other ways (the player's already got 2 CSGs worth, which is a lot, and they could just fly strategic bombers with cruise missiles non-stop from CONUS like they did in Iraq in '91 if they needed even more). Given the use of so many PLAN vessels, if you really want that many Tomahawks, I think you should consider replacing one of the Ohios with a couple Virginias in/around the Taiwan Strait so they can engage in ASuW too.

yeah, people told me both SSGN appear at the same battle not quite possible. but I guess the point is the total deliverable fire power in that 12 hours (in current setup is minimum 800 long range cruise missiles, plus other munitions), no matter which platform it is from. Although to me personally the second SSGN is no less feasible than CONUS bomber sortie

quote:

2 The PRC OOB does not have any SHORAD or medium-range SAMs, which are an important part of an IADS.

i think this will worth the effort if i change the frontline airbases to multi-unit. but then i guess the bottleneck is delivery capacity of munitions in 12 hours, if you direct the strike to land targets, then less strike for the ships? does this make sense?

quote:

3 I can't kill the airfields because they're all single-unit, so I can't kill any PRC aircraft on the ground. I personally prefer to kill aircraft on the ground, so this is going to make life complicated in ways I'm not excited about.

see above

quote:

4 Are you sure the player has enough tanker support to put major strikes from 2x CVW and aircraft from Japan on target?

i remember we have 2 dozen kc135 and 10 kc767, no? let me check

quote:

5 I recommend setting up at least some CSG with more traditional ARM loadouts and buddy stores. Alternatively, you could add 6 more hours to the scenario and let the player pick their own weapons.

same to the other fellows comment. it is almost certain PLA fleet will be wiped out, given enough time, simple reason is the ship wont get SAM reload, so i wont extend the hour

ARM loadout, yeah, why not, will do

quote:

6 If Kadena has been evacuated and not yet destroyed, I recommend having it as a base without hosted aircraft in the scenario, so the player can use it as a divert airfield.

notice there are no DF-16 SLBM units in the scenario at all? intention is those units are to prevent opponent from using that airfield in any meaningful way

quote:

7 If a unit is forward-deployed but has not yet experienced combat, they wouldn't have taken any busted aircraft with them, so I imagine its aircraft availability rate would be nearly 100% of forward-deployed aircraft (aircraft not capable of flying into combat would likely not deploy, so unless a plane broke during the deployment flight or was damaged during post-flight maintenance, it should be good to go).

This pack draft is very ambitious and looks interesting, so I'm excited to see where you take it. Have you considered whether these events might be a good fit for a PBEM scenario if they're supposed to play out at the same time?

i dont know actual situation in forward deployment, but i guess that can be adjusted

thank you very much

< Message edited by caohailiang -- 12/20/2021 8:08:03 AM >

(in reply to Fido81)
Post #: 4
RE: new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan - 12/21/2021 3:18:51 AM   
caohailiang

thank you for the play out! there was actually similar result when i tried

in reality the key is how long US side can sustain that level of offensive operation.
If we look at PLAAAF/PLANAF ORBAT, their combat coded units include 15 J-10 brigades, 16 modernized Flanker brigades (J-16/J-11B), and 2 J-20 brigades, in total 33, you have wiped out 6 of them already, maybe they will be able to replenish the frontline for 2 more times before they are stretched too thin on other fronts
i dont have much knowledge on US/Japan side though

quote:

ORIGINAL: nogravity

The distance is a problem for the US-Japan side. I did make two changes:
1 - The tanker at Guam are set to ready
2 - F-2 at Tsuiki are armed with ASM

The result is a minor victory but with huge cost to both sides. PLA DDG screen suffer heavy lost but my LRASM cannot get through the final SAM layer put up by 054A/056. 4 landing ships were sunk in the end. However, if the time is extended with US bomber/striker for second wave attack, the PLAN fleet can be wiped out.

Minor Victory

SIDE: US/Japan

LOSSES:
1x E-3B Sentry
1x E-3C Sentry
2x E-767 Sentinel
26x F/A-18E Super Hornet
6x F/A-18F Super Hornet
18x F-15C Eagle
12x F-15DJ Eagle J-MSIP
24x F-15J Eagle J-MSIP
10x F-22A Raptor
14x F-2A
8x F-2B
7x F-35B Lightning II

SIDE: China

LOSSES:
21x BZK-005 Sea Eagle UAV
1x Il-78M Midas
39x J-10A Vigorous Dragon
24x J-10C Vigorous Dragon
35x J-10C Vigorous Dragon
9x J-11BS Flanker C [Su-27UBK Copy]
31x J-16 Flying Shark [Su-30MKK Copy]
3x KJ-200 Cub [GX5]
2x KJ-2000 Mainring [A-50]
21x KJ-500 Cub [GX9]
3x Y-8G Cub [GX4]
12x Y-9G Cub [GX11]
8x Type 052D Luyang III [173 Changsha]
7x Type 054A Jiangkai II [530 Xuzhou]
1x Type 055 Nanchang [101 Nanchang, Zheng He]
4x Type 056A Jiangdao [593 Sanmenxia]
4x Type 072-III Yuting IIA [911 Tianzhushan]

(in reply to nogravity)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> new scenario pack: China vs. US/Japan Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI