Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/14/2021 6:16:51 PM   
pioneer10sun

I’m struggling to understand the appeal of playing video games on mobile devices. To be honest, I come from an older generation and we used to use PCs for video games, maybe the occasional console like Sony PlayStation. In all fairness, we didn’t have smartphones when I was growing up, so that could have had a lot to do with it.

These days, my kids spend their time staring at their smartphones all day long. Sometimes I even forget they can communicate with words and not merely hum “yes’ and “no.” I don’t consider all technology bad - I’m not a purist in that sense - but I do thing one should limit themselves to how much we use tech.

When I do give them a taste of their own medicine (I go online to gamble in front of them, to all sorts of site like https://www.nodepositdaily.com/mobile/) the little hypocrites have the audacity to criticize me for spending money on it. But it’s perfectly alright for them to buy skins, weapons, and what not for their video games. Is anybody else going through the same situation? Any advice?
Post #: 1
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/14/2021 6:40:01 PM   
z1812

This is how I dealt with the situation you describe.

Limit their online time. <<<<<< very important!!

Offer them real alternatives. I taught them Chess and they love it.

Be involved with them. Dependent upon their age arrange activities for them.

Give them responsibilities to complete around the house and base their allowance on it.

They may not like it.................but as the Adult, your the boss, not them.

(in reply to pioneer10sun)
Post #: 2
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/14/2021 6:43:32 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Our-Disconnect-Teenagers-Technology/dp/1585428558

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 3
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/14/2021 9:23:41 PM   
RangerJoe

Take them camping where there is no internet connection . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 4
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/14/2021 9:42:36 PM   
DD696

SPAMMER!!!

Why are you being lured into replying to such an obvious attempt at trying to get you to go this gambling site?

Look at his previous posts. Normally most of you are much smarter than that, with the obvious exceptions.

Edit: Only the one exception. Sorry about that.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 12/14/2021 9:52:38 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/15/2021 12:21:13 AM   
springel

Grognards are too old to have young children.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 6
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/15/2021 5:53:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

Spammer or not, it's a worthy topic to discuss about. When we were young, there likely were adults (maybe even our parents) who deemed video games in general to be stupid making kids (us) stupid. And here we are (some of us anyway), claiming that playing on the phone is stupid. Well, there are some solutions for that. One is to get kids handheld game consoles. Cheapest ones with a number of built in games cost around 50 €/$. Ones with cartridges (Evercade) go for ~100 €/$ the console and cartridges (can have multiple games) go for ~20 €/$. I don't know if that is a cure for stupidity, but at least those don't have Internet connection nor in game purchases. And as someone else said, limit # of mobile data package and show the kids offline games like Battle of the Bulge and Road to Moscow.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 12/15/2021 5:56:41 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 7
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/15/2021 10:43:39 PM   
demyansk

You should just watch the kids at a school=zombies

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/16/2021 1:15:32 AM   
Eambar

quote:

ORIGINAL: springel

Grognards are too old to have young children.

I'm old enough to have played a sizeable chunk of the Avalon Hill catalogue in the 1970's, and my boys are 11 and 7 (and I still have the AH games too).

My wife however was born in the 1990's so that should explain the children's ages

On topic - it is a real problem - we try to limit screentime, monitor what they are doing while on the screen and provide non-screen alternatives. The camping suggestion is a good one and I get out with the boys totally unplugged as often as I can (it usually takes them about 3 days to de-tox).

One thing we do have is a ScreenTime Covenant where we set rules and agreements about screentime, what they can do (tv, ipad, playstation), when they get it and when they don't (ie not completing chores - lose time). It works OK for the 11 year old but the 7 year old doesn't always understand it...but it is worth persevering with.

The downside is I like to game daily and have a home office with a triple screen set up, so they see Dad on his computers and think they should get it too, even when I am working. They don't make the distinction between work and play. We again try and address it in the covenant.

I think it something that needs to be continually worked on and important enough for my boys that I'm not going to give up.

Cheers

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 9
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/16/2021 6:20:16 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Take them camping where there is no internet connection . . .

There you go, that what my dad did when i spend too much time watching tv or play those console video games back in the mid 80's.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/16/2021 12:47:58 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

SPAMMER!!!

Why are you being lured into replying to such an obvious attempt at trying to get you to go this gambling site?

Look at his previous posts. Normally most of you are much smarter than that, with the obvious exceptions.

Edit: Only the one exception. Sorry about that.

Yeah you may be right. 10 meaningless posts and then he can post his gambling link.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 11
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/16/2021 2:47:26 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eambar

The downside is I like to game daily and have a home office with a triple screen set up, so they see Dad on his computers and think they should get it too, even when I am working. They don't make the distinction between work and play. We again try and address it in the covenant.

Have them watch you at work. You got 3 monitors, right? Mirror one of the screens in another and turn it for your kids to see you type a report or do spreadsheet stuff. Explain in detail what you are doing and why. Then ask how fun does it look for them

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 12
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/18/2021 3:26:42 AM   
jwarrenw13

High quality spammer though. I read through and didn't even think about it being a spammer until DD696 commented. I should have noticed the actual link, but I guess since I had zero interest at all in the link, I just sped right by it. And it is an interesting topic.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots - 12/24/2021 2:09:12 AM   
colorman

Complete and accurate information. I have learned a lot

(in reply to pioneer10sun)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Smartphone games are turning my kids into idiots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI