Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 8:22:13 AM   
NotTooBad

The release date of Distant Worlds 2 has been announced.

The next chapter in the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is almost ready.

Players will experience the full depth and detail of this real-time strategy game starting from March 10th, 2022, on PC.

Distant Worlds 2 is available to wishlist, more information about the title can be found on the product page.

< Message edited by NotTooBad -- 12/17/2021 1:00:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 9:00:56 AM   
Galaxy227

Update the release date on Steam!

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 12/17/2021 1:30:52 PM >

(in reply to NotTooBad)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 11:09:16 AM   
Webbco

Opinion alert: With all due respect to the devs, I think a lot of work needs to be done with the marketing team. The above news is a few days old, there's mistakes in the announcement, there's no new dev diaries as promised, people are losing interest and getting frustrated on the Steam forum and, like with its predecessor, DW2 is running the real risk of becoming yet another relatively unknown diamond in the rough (assuming its just as good/better than DW1).

I don't believe that this would be an accurate reflection on the hard work of Erik, Elliot and Co.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 12:12:52 PM   
Bleek

Steam forums can be the wild west, but they certainly shouldn't be ignored (captive audience).

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 12:54:53 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Steam forums can be the wild west, but they certainly shouldn't be ignored (captive audience).

Voicing frustrations on the Steam forums vs near total silence on the Matrix ones, I'm not sure what's better.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 1:16:35 PM   
beyondwudge

Wishlisted it. :)

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 1:48:07 PM   
Cauldyth

Yeah... I have to say, that release date announcement went virtually unnoticed. It was 2 days ago, but I never saw it mentioned on gaming news sites, the official product page still has no release date, nor does the Steam page.

(in reply to beyondwudge)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 5:55:38 PM   
bbenham

I was really hoping to see it by Christmas. Seems like a huge target date, marketing opportunity, and bankroll lost.

It's been so long since DW1 that I've essentially forgotten most of it and have lost a lot of interest in DW2. I hope that the release is so incredibly stellar that it pulls me back, but you know how remakes can be. I felt the same about Master of Orion 3 until I got it. All those 'improvements' really destroyed the feeling of the previous game. Too much focus on the graphics engine and not enough focus on depth of play. Very much hoping the DW3 release has stayed true to the aspects that made DW2 fun.

Cheers.

(in reply to NotTooBad)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/17/2021 6:19:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbenham
Very much hoping the DW3 release has stayed true to the aspects that made DW2 fun.

Well, when we get to DW3, I hope so too!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bbenham)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 2:55:52 AM   
Clux

I would like to know if that release date its for the Matrix/Slitherine version or the "global version" (meaning than the game cames out at the same date in Steam, GoG and Matrix)

Edit: Nvm, I've just seen than they updated the date on the steam page :)

< Message edited by Clux -- 12/18/2021 2:58:23 AM >

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 8:47:20 AM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbenham
I was really hoping to see it by Christmas. Seems like a huge target date, marketing opportunity, and bankroll lost.

The bankroll would indeed be lost... if the game were shipped prematurely.

Exercise a little patience. Enjoy Christmas.

March will be here in the blink of an eye.

(in reply to bbenham)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 1:15:53 PM   
bbenham

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek
The bankroll would indeed be lost... if the game were shipped prematurely.
Exercise a little patience. Enjoy Christmas.
March will be here in the blink of an eye.

hehe. Yes, I meant DW2 and not the mythical DW3. :)

Clux, that sounds like an engineer's opinion :) No release is flawless; not even the delayed ones. Optimizing a release date is every bit as impactful to the overall game's success, if not FAR more. People seldom have more disposable cash and time than at Christmas, and if a game design is a quality one, it will survive a few startup bugs.

Given the very old ancient announcement date for DW2, I'd say we all have been patient. You do not need to defend Matrix or the developers working on DW2 anymore than I needed to tell them what they already knew. Here's hoping that they made the right decision, because I certainly want to see this really take off and do well.
Cheers.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 4:12:45 PM   
Bleek

Are you speaking from experience?

I am no developer. I'm a founder, in that I have both invested in a development company and own a small software company.

Neither are gaming, but even so I understand the logistics of this business. And I'm highly aware of the risks and rewards when balancing user expectations, particularly around roadmaps and release schedules.

Nothing is ever perfect is very different to, it simply isn't ready yet!

*And of course I'm also a nerd looking forward to the release of DW2.

(in reply to bbenham)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 9:09:56 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

The best advertisement for this game is word of mouth to be honest. You need to seek out the core audience first so if you like the game then when it starts to have full gameplay videos you can post them to your social media or online forums and spread the word. Then there are the typical bevy of reviewers that can get the word out. No doubt it will be a headline release on steam or at least a featured item so there is huge chunk of audience there too. If done right they don't need a huge expensive marketing campaign. Just a good solid game people want to play. Whats that old movie line? Build it and they will come?

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/18/2021 10:27:46 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

The best advertisement for this game is word of mouth to be honest. You need to seek out the core audience first so if you like the game then when it starts to have full gameplay videos you can post them to your social media or online forums and spread the word. Then there are the typical bevy of reviewers that can get the word out. No doubt it will be a headline release on steam or at least a featured item so there is huge chunk of audience there too. If done right they don't need a huge expensive marketing campaign. Just a good solid game people want to play. Whats that old movie line? Build it and they will come?

I fundamentally disagree with this. DW1 was of sufficient quality and scope that it got an award from RPS among other mainstream gaming news sites. I'm all for indie developers but that shouldn't mean an excellent game is hampered by incompetent marketing. There's a difference between smaller-scale marketing and insufficient marketing.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/19/2021 7:17:01 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I agree that some traditional marketing is in order but word of mouth and popular streamers showcasing your product is a sure way to reach your target audience. Also the game isn't even finished yet and has at least four more months before release. Why waste precious money putting out marketing now when it could be better used right before it launches so you get peak interest at a time they can buy it? This isn't EA that can spend millions on hyping their games after all. I would seriously doubt they have more than a few thousands or maybe tens of thousands of dollars reserved for ads and such.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/22/2021 8:41:38 AM   
muncuss

well, i think some of us just need another new dev diary. that is of course don't need millions $ ad budget

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/22/2021 11:53:58 AM   
Ranbir

Nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Erik, if you wanna maybe offer me a price so I can get a headstart hit me up.

< Message edited by Ranbir -- 12/22/2021 11:54:10 AM >

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to muncuss)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/22/2021 12:04:50 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: muncuss

well, i think some of us just need another new dev diary. that is of course don't need millions $ ad budget

During a recent start I asked when the NDA's for the Beta will be lifted, allowing Streamers to showcase it.
The only reply was "we are working on it". So hopefully it happens soon-ish. But it might not happen this year

(in reply to muncuss)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/22/2021 11:16:22 PM   
washtana

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: muncuss

During a recent start I asked when the NDA's for the Beta will be lifted, allowing Streamers to showcase it.
The only reply was "we are working on it". So hopefully it happens soon-ish. But it might not happen this year

I hope they do this at least a month or two prior to the game being released. I remember watching Das Tactic while he was beta testing Shadow Empires which I knew nothing about prior to coming across his channel. Once the game was released he had several short tutorial videos which was so helpful to a lot of people.

I want to see this game successful and getting into the hands of talented people like Das is a great way to communicate and educate new players that are interested in this type of game.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/23/2021 10:09:29 AM   
sinbuster

Those Das Tactic videos were essential. Even though DW2 seems a lot more approachable than its predecessor, I agree that he would be a great resource for the game in the early going.

(in reply to washtana)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/23/2021 10:18:12 AM   
Tank Commander_MatrixForum

When can we expect the pricing options, particularly the collectors editions - Thanks

3 write-offs but still a Tank Commander

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 12/23/2021 1:36:09 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: sinbuster

Those Das Tactic videos were essential. Even though DW2 seems a lot more approachable than its predecessor, I agree that he would be a great resource for the game in the early going.

Das is basaically Slitherines House Twitch Streamer.

He has the Beta, he just could not show anything off yet or even talk about it due to the NDA.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed - 1/10/2022 3:01:45 PM   
Tank Commander_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tank Commander_MatrixForum

When can we expect the pricing options, particularly the collectors editions - Thanks

No update on pricing for a launch 2 months away?

3 write-offs but still a Tank Commander
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Distant Worlds 2 - Release Date Revealed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI