Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CoH scenarios, counters and map mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> CoH scenarios, counters and map mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/5/2021 2:51:42 PM   
jcrohio

I have created a mod for this great game and am not sure if 1) anyone cares and 2) how to make it available if anyone does care. I had a lot of free time during COVID and have always liked this game. I had started this project in the past but never really went anywhere with it. Here is the readme I put together for this mod which explains what I have done:

This mod takes and updates all the original Awakening the Bear and Storms of Steel scenarios and updates the counters and map boards. All the map boards have been brought up to high-def version 2 standards of COH. All the counter information has been brought up to version 2 of the board game. In addition ten new scenarios for ATB and eight new scenarios for SOS, all from the Academy Games website, have been added. This includes some scenarios that use ATB map board six The Marsh. Also addressed were various mistakes in the original game. Two of the SOS scenarios crashed when they were played and this was addressed. One of the ATB scenarios accidently doubled the starting Russian forces making the scenario almost unplayable as the Germans and this was addressed. Other smaller errors were fixed. All the preview maps were reworked to match the Academy Games Firefight introductory maps. Lastly, the AI was adjusted in many of the scenarios in an attempt to make it more competitive.

The mod is meant to be played with the following guidelines and suggestions:
1. On the Main Menu, System Preferences, the Boardgame-Style Map option must be "Yes"
2. On the Main Menu, System Preferences, the Use Chit Graphics option must be "Yes"
3. On the Main Menu, Rule Options, I found the best game to be:
Fog of War: No
Variable Action Points: Yes (3D6 High-Low)
Difficulty: See recommendations below for each scenario
Foot Unit Cautious Movement: Yes
Random Quality: No
APS Rule: Persistent APS

Scenario Recommendations:
First a note about Difficulty Levels. Easy is the original board game scenario setup as Academy Games designed them in terms of OOBs, APs and CAP allocations. Each game difficulty above Easy gives the AI a number of material advantages. For every level above Easy the AI gets more CAP, more AP, possibly more units and possibly better units. Specifically:
1. A 22.5% chance of having an additional unit for each starting or reinforcing unit it normally receives. I feel this
increases the higher the difficulty as there are definitely more enemy units on higher difficulties.
2. 25% more CAPs per turn.
3. 1 additional AP per unit above Normal difficulty.
4. Increased chance of higher unit quality according to a non-linear formula.

ATB1. Partisans: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB2. NKVD Defense at Mir: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB3. The Gap: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB4. General Petrov: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB5. Red Ice: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB6. The Monsters: Play as the Germans on either Easy or Normal Difficulty
ATB7. The Bunker: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB8. Breakthrough to the Mzensk Pocket: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB9. KV2: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB10. Bug River: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB11. Assault on Peprez: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB12. The Demolition: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB13. Smolensk Breakout: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB14. Sovkhoz Depot: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB15. Battle for Mogilev: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB16. Belbek Valley: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB17. Dry Ground: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB18. Swamps of Bryansk: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB19. Sandomierez Counter Attack: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
ATB20. Goringstrasse: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS1. Clear and Secure: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS2. The Courier's Satchel: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS3. Wind or Sniper: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS4. State Farm 158: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS5. Pursuit from State Farm 158: Play as the Germans on either Easy or Normal Difficulty
SOS6. Sneak Attack: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS7. Wounded Tiger: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS8. Black Knights of the Steppe: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS9. Blinding the Bear: Play as the Germans on either Easy or Normal Difficulty
SOS10. Tanks: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS11. Rotmistrov Red Dawn: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS12. The Bloody Brothers: Play as either side on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS13. Luchki Part 1: Play as the Germans on either Easy or Normal Difficulty
SOS14. Luchki Part 2: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS15. Luchki: Play as the Germans on either Easy or Normal Difficulty
SOS16. Twilights Last Gleam: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS17. Graveyard: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS18. Fresh Paint: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS19. X Oktybra State Farm: Play as the Soviets on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS20. Dance of the Totenkopfs: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS21. Battle of Cherkasskoye Part 1: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS22. Battle of Cherkasskoye Part 2: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty
SOS23. Battle of Cherkasskoye: Play as the Germans on either Normal or Hard Difficulty

All original scenarios can still be played. To play the mod on the Main Menu, use Play Game and than Additional Firefights. This will bring up all the mod scenarios.

Must have the original COH Awakening the Bear game and the Storms of Steel add on. This mod was never tested on Steam so I am not sure if it would work on the Steam version.

Installation Instructions.
All files that are copied to the main installation folder will not prohibit you from playing any of the original scenarios. Some of the the images and counter values will be changed. But all scenarios will work. If you are worried, make a copy of the original data folder or use the JSGME Generic Mod Enabler (google it).

There are six folders and one file that must be copied.
1. Copy Maps to Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Maps (in the Documents Folder)
2. Copy Scenarios to Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Scenarios (in the Documents Folder)
3. Copy Billboards to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\Billboards (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
4. Copy SOS_Units to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\SOS_Units (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
5. Copy UnitDecals to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\UnitDecals (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
6. Copy Units to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\Units (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
7. Copy the file DamageLibrary.xml to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)

So there it is. The biggest problem, if there is interest, is that because of the map boards the mod is 4 Gigabytes in size even if zipped. Each scenario has its own unique map which makes the upload 4 Gigs. I don't know of any way of dealing with this as it obviously cannot be uploaded to these forums. The other problem might be copyright infringements from Academy Games for the other scenarios not included with the original game. Not sure about this. Eric would have to weigh in on this if there are issues.

Jack

Post #: 1
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/5/2021 4:12:53 PM   
saminurmela

Oh yes, definitely interested as I just bought the game and DLC in current Steam sale after playing through the scenarios in the old demo version (this had been on my hard disk for years waiting for the old WWII tactical board/wargaming bug to bite again - and it did, thanks to current release of the very nice Valor and Victory ).

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 2
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 7:19:48 AM   
terminator

I would also be very interested in your mod.

A screenshot?

(in reply to saminurmela)
Post #: 3
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 9:53:28 AM   
maitrebongo

Hi,

I'm still interrested by this old but good game :)
Very happy to see i'm not the only one ;)
I think that you know about the improvements i've done for this game in this thread : https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4443928
Could you post some pictures to see yours, please ?

Thanks

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 4
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 3:26:24 PM   
jcrohio

Here are some pictures

Attachment (1)

(in reply to maitrebongo)
Post #: 5
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 3:27:14 PM   
jcrohio

More

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 6
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 3:28:03 PM   
jcrohio

More

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 7
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/7/2021 3:29:42 PM   
jcrohio

More

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 8
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/8/2021 8:06:55 AM   
maitrebongo

It is more than interesting...
If you want to host the files, the easiest way is to create a cloud service (like a Google Drive for example), store your files on it and share them publicly.
Anyway, I can't wait to test your mod, which I hope will boost the interest for this game which deserves it.
Good Job

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 9
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/10/2021 1:54:24 PM   
jcrohio

Interesting you should bring this up. I have been contemplating buying a cloud service to store some files that I really would never want to lose.

Do you have any recommendations? I would need about 500 Gig of space (lot of old video of my children). Obviously something reliable and relatively secure. Would not be putting any sensitive documents there but still would not want it hacked.

Thanks
Jack

Post #: 10
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/10/2021 2:05:32 PM   
terminator

I use MediaFire (50GB of free space) :

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terminator -- 7/10/2021 2:18:22 PM >

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 11
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/11/2021 3:55:50 PM   
jcrohio

Thanks Terminator. Really taking a long look at MediaFire, DropBox and Icedrive. Think I might like some of the features on Icedrive. Do you or does anybody have any feelings one way or the other?

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 12
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/12/2021 4:45:56 AM   
terminator

10GB free with Icedrive. Is that enough ?

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 13
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/13/2021 8:41:30 AM   
Alan Sharif

Another interested party here. I still love and play this game. Any more mods and scenarios are always welcome.

A Sharif

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 14
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/14/2021 12:59:31 AM   
jcrohio

Played around with Google Drive tonight. This link should allow you to download the mod. It is over four Gigs. It took me about 20 minutes to download it. Though the files were placed in one folder, Google must have a file limitation of 2 Gig. So the files came in three folders. The Maps folder contain all the map files and is by far the largest part of the download. That folder got split into three zip files.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wMe53rNJUUXKSFKGU4EmELyEc3Ga2Vnr?usp=sharing

Directions:
1. Download the file (which will place 3 zipped files on your drive)
2. The first file should contain all the folders and files except for part of the Map folder - extract the files
3. There are six folders and one file that must be copied.
a. Copy Maps to Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Maps (in the Documents Folder) - this will copy most of the map files to the appropriate folder
b. Copy Scenarios to Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Scenarios (in the Documents Folder)
c. Copy Billboards to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\Billboards (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
d. Copy SOS_Units to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\SOS_Units (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
e. Copy UnitDecals to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\UnitDecals (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
f. Copy Units to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data\Units (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
g. Copy the file DamageLibrary.xml to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)
4. The second file contains more of the Map files - extract and copy into the Map folder
5. The third file contains the rest of the Map files - extract and copy into the Map folder
6. That should do it.

I know this is very convoluted. If someone has a better way please post it.

Jack

< Message edited by jcrohio -- 7/14/2021 1:05:06 AM >

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 15
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/14/2021 10:26:12 AM   
saminurmela

Ooh, downloaded right away and tried a couple of scenarios. Everything seems to work perfectly and the new board and unit graphics are beautiful (I guess these are from the same source as maitrebongos earlier HD mod). Not a convoluted install at all, things just go where they belong.

This is a most wonderful package, I appreciate especially the new scenarios and the fixes to old ones. I used JSGME to install the main game files so the mod is easy to activate/deactivate, but just backuping the original files (all unit folders, billboards and Damagelibrary.xml) is just as simple to do.

Many thanks for your work, Jack. CoH was and still is a very fun and enjoyable game, the best tactical one IMO. Too bad the developers lost faith in it so quickly. Maybe the player base just was too small after all (looking at the number of user scenario downloads here on Matrix forums... less than a hundred )

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 16
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 7/14/2021 1:17:09 PM   
jcrohio

Thanks. Glad it went well. Never uploaded files to be shared before. Got my inspiration from Maitrebongo. I had used scanned mapboards before but they never looked as good as his. Downloaded his and saw how he did it. What resolutions to use etc and went from there.

Jack

(in reply to saminurmela)
Post #: 17
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/13/2021 1:45:00 PM   
rodzilla

Jack, thanks for putting this together.
It works on the Steam version as well, the difference being the folder structure is "\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Conflict of Heroes Awakening the Bear" instead of "\Matrix Games".
As to this step: "g. Copy the file DamageLibrary.xml to Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\Data (Main Game Folder usually C:\Matrix Games)", this is no .xml file in your download.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 18
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/14/2021 12:33:37 PM   
jcrohio

Good to hear about Steam. DamageLibrary.xml should be there now. Thanks for reporting and let me know if it is not there.

Jack

(in reply to rodzilla)
Post #: 19
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/15/2021 1:55:13 AM   
rodzilla

Thanks! I got the file.

On an unrelated note, I get an error when I try to play the Dry Ground mission. After I select the side and start the game, it gives me this error:

"MakePiece Error, MasterName Infantry_Squad_1943 is not registered with Prototype Manager"

UPDATE: I also get a similar error with The Demolition and Assault on Peprez, but it's in reference to Panzer_IVe.

I don't own SoS. I'm assuming that is the problem since I see Panzer IVe listed as one of the units from that expansion. I think I see what's happening. In the AtB board game, there was a Panzer IVe. However, it was not included in the computer version until the SoS expansion. I don't think a lot of these missions will work for me unless I purchase the SoS expansion.

< Message edited by rodzilla -- 12/15/2021 3:19:49 PM >

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 20
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/15/2021 9:10:56 AM   
maitrebongo

Hello to all those who still play this game...

jcrohio, congratulations for your undeniable improvement of this little gem of a tactical computer wargame.
This game has a great potential, I said it in the past and I still think it today even with the appearance of serious competitors like Lock'n'Load Tactical Digital.
CoH has its simplicity of play (even if it doesn't harm the pleasant gameplay) and is the most perfect adaptation of a board game that I know of.
Again, what a shame that it was abandoned by its designers/publishers. This game system could be adapted to other theaters as well as other times, other wars (WW1, WW3, ...).
Now, if a community of enthusiasts, even a small one, wants to give it a second chance by developing free DLCs, I would be enthusiastic to participate. I can easily create all the chits you can imagine, a bit more difficult for the maps... I would need people to work on the data part of the units (I hate the XML format) and on the composition of the scenarios.
Let me know if some of you are interested in such a project.
Remember that this is how Steel Panthers got the best out of itself.

(in reply to rodzilla)
Post #: 21
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/15/2021 2:56:43 PM   
jcrohio

rodzilla

I am going to assume that the fact that you don't own SOS is the problem but don't know for sure. Therefore, I am NOT going to tell you that buying it would solve the problem (though it is probably cheap with the Christmas sale). Those two units are included in the SOS folders and in fact are part of the original SOS release. The addition of SOS allowed the game to mix units from both modules together in one scenario. So, if a unit was included in SOS but not in AWB I could still mix it into an AWB scenario.

Hope this helps

maitrebongo - Thanks!!

Post #: 22
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/15/2021 3:56:06 PM   
rodzilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

rodzilla

I am going to assume that the fact that you don't own SOS is the problem but don't know for sure. Therefore, I am NOT going to tell you that buying it would solve the problem (though it is probably cheap with the Christmas sale). Those two units are included in the SOS folders and in fact are part of the original SOS release. The addition of SOS allowed the game to mix units from both modules together in one scenario. So, if a unit was included in SOS but not in AWB I could still mix it into an AWB scenario.

Hope this helps

maitrebongo - Thanks!!

Yes, I just purchased Storms of Steel and that fixed my problems. Thanks!

< Message edited by rodzilla -- 12/15/2021 4:55:38 PM >

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 23
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/16/2021 11:53:34 AM   
jcrohio

Good to hear!!

(in reply to rodzilla)
Post #: 24
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/16/2021 12:09:29 PM   
maitrebongo

I specify my thought: Do you think it's worth it to make mods for example for the western front, the Pacific, for a hypothetical third world war?
Are there still enough of us playing this game to make it worthwhile?

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 25
RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod - 12/17/2021 1:11:14 PM   
jcrohio

Not sure of the amount of interest. I can't tell if many people have downloaded what I did. There is virtually no activity on this forum. It is ashame as the simplicity of this system makes it very unique. Copies of the AWB and SOS rule books and firefights can be downloaded for free. Following these lets you read minimal pages of rules and proceed to very simple scenarios. I am a play tester for LnL Tactical and love the system but 140 pages of rules and pages of charts makes it much more challenging to get into.

You might start with small and see if there is any interest. Academy Games has a Pacific module and a Poland module. Maybe trying one or two of these scenarios could test the waters and see if anyone is interested. Or maybe trying a western front scenario?

Jack

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> CoH scenarios, counters and map mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI