Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Odd odds...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Odd odds... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Odd odds... - 12/18/2021 8:27:17 AM   
Octavian

I am still struggling heavily with the odds display before battle starts.

Two things irritate me:
1. It is not unusual for me to add combat units and get worse odds. This also happens if they attack from a different angle and is not due to overstacking or the like. I HAVE read the manual and played lots of DC games before, but something as odd as these odds hasnīt crossed my gaming life before.

2. As a result and since the odds are tangling around madly if I add this or that unit - which often enough I canīt make any sense of it tactically - I end up by just randomly adding or leaving out this or that unit, until I get the odds I want to see. This is so ridiculous and frustrating for me, that I am on the edge of stopping to play the game.

Any help appreciated...
Post #: 1
RE: Odd odds... - 12/18/2021 10:32:18 AM   
Khanti

Read carefully all the stats before battle. Yes, carefully. It answers questions. This is not as easy as attacking from different hexes.

https://zippyimage.com/image/kill.HuGxn

Cumulative modifier shows at glance whether attack is easy one, or not.
In the end there is modified offensive power. Which is the only one that matters. The rest shows why that matters ;-)

< Message edited by Khanti -- 12/18/2021 10:36:23 AM >

(in reply to Octavian)
Post #: 2
RE: Odd odds... - 12/18/2021 1:47:32 PM   
carll11

Khanti, is that the Sigma symbol?

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 3
RE: Odd odds... - 12/18/2021 1:50:00 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Octavian

I am still struggling heavily with the odds display before battle starts.

Two things irritate me:
1. It is not unusual for me to add combat units and get worse odds. This also happens if they attack from a different angle and is not due to overstacking or the like. I HAVE read the manual and played lots of DC games before, but something as odd as these odds hasnīt crossed my gaming life before.

2. As a result and since the odds are tangling around madly if I add this or that unit - which often enough I canīt make any sense of it tactically - I end up by just randomly adding or leaving out this or that unit, until I get the odds I want to see. This is so ridiculous and frustrating for me, that I am on the edge of stopping to play the game.

Any help appreciated...

I have the same issue, for some reason when I reselect the order of which units attack first second third etc., the odds change as well.

(in reply to Octavian)
Post #: 4
RE: Odd odds... - 12/18/2021 3:15:25 PM   
Jagger2002

When I am looking at an attack, I am often looking more at the defenders readiness, morale and occupied terrain more than odds. I see the odds as a ballpark and the higher the better but the stamina of the defender is very important as well. Low stamina defenders often won't hold vs even low odds. High stamina defenders are dangerous.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 5
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 7:31:33 AM   
Octavian

I know the importance of the Sigma-Result and all that. Still I encounter very strange odd-changes if you add this or that unit to an attack. I canīt make any sense of the fact, that even a very bad unit, letīs say a battered panzer battailion attacking into heavy forest, why not being very effective, should indeed lead to a drastic reduction in Sigma-Result. Wouldnīt they make at least a little contribution to an attack???

Sorry, I donīt get it and even thorough reading of all the dozen factors doesnīt make me more clever. This game is over-convoluted with figures, the player canīt make sense of in a practical matter. Please donīt get me wrong. I am a strong supporter of DC-series and Vic and I still carve out major victories against challenging AI, cause I know what to look for, but it is stupid for me to just guess and play around with the battle odds instead of making informed decisions when I play a strategy game.
Any help still appreciated.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 6
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 7:32:16 AM   
Octavian

I know the importance of the Sigma-Result and all that. Still I encounter very strange odd-changes if you add this or that unit to an attack. I canīt make any sense of the fact, that even a very bad unit, letīs say a battered panzer battailion attacking into heavy forest, although for sure not being very effective, should indeed lead to a drastic reduction in Sigma-Result. Wouldnīt they make at least a little contribution to an attack??? Sometimes adding (!) a single (!) unit can lead to a reduction of say 3241 attack to 1490 or something the like in the Sigma-result.

Sorry, I donīt get it and even thorough reading of all the dozen factors doesnīt make me more clever. This game is over-convoluted with figures, the player canīt make sense of in a practical matter. And I also suspect there is a bug in the way the odds are calculated before the battle starts. See also the other comment here, that sometimes you get different results depending on the order in which you add units to a battle. That is definitely not working as intended.

Please donīt get me wrong. I am a strong supporter of DC-series and Vic and I still carve out major victories against challenging AI, cause I know what to look for, but it is stupid for me to just guess and play around with the battle odds instead of making informed decisions when I play a strategy game.
Any help still appreciated, I would hate giving up on that game.

< Message edited by Octavian -- 12/19/2021 7:50:57 AM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 7
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 8:03:19 AM   
pedro0930

My guess on why adding unit sometimes reduce the predicted odds is because for example, adding tanks into a attack into heavy forest lower your predicted terrain bonus/penalty. The predictor doesn't weigh the unit size correctly/accurately, so it lowers your overall sigma.

You can always just ignore the predictor and use your intuition and develop your own heuristic. The predictor is only introduced in Shadow Empire. Before, there is literally no tool that tells the player how a battle will go. You figure out some rule of thumb. Look at the enemy entrenchment, readiness, terrain, and decides if you like the odds. And sometimes the outcome is still unexpected, then I'll go into the detailed combat report and quickly click through some rounds to see maybe the enemy just got some lucky rolls or a factor I didn't consider played a role.

< Message edited by pedro0930 -- 12/19/2021 8:04:26 AM >

(in reply to Octavian)
Post #: 8
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 8:22:32 AM   
Octavian

Thanks Pedro. But in sum what you are saying is, the predictor doesnīt work correctly.
And that is my point, too. And that is meant far away from the prespective of liking to have a predictor that is a 100 percent guarantee of the outcome. I am very aware of the fact of necessary dice rolling and thatīs a good thing, since I donīt like to play chess, when I play a wargame.
But the predictor should at least in itself make some sort of sense and not force me to click around madly until I see odds with which I like to take the risk of an attack.
So, still I hope, I am overlooking something in my experiences of the odds-calculator or: I hope for a patch in that regard.

(in reply to pedro0930)
Post #: 9
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 9:05:01 AM   
Khanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

Khanti, is that the Sigma symbol?

Yes. Sigma, uppercase Σ, in general mathematics is used as an operator for summation.

About the odds.
In Vic's games you can have an individual result of attack 1000 versus defense of 1 and result is a miss and defender won.
Or you can have your defending unit result of 1000 and attacker had 50, but result was KILL.

I always say it's not sensible, although mathematically correct. This way you get strange individual (soldier to soldier) results which translates into the final line.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 10
RE: Odd odds... - 12/19/2021 9:40:57 PM   
warnevada

The current version of the odds calculation is not working correctly which leads to some very strange results.

But there is one combat factor in Vic's games which even when working correctly can yield unexpected results. That is the Max Attack factor. It simulates so many attackers that they get in each other's way leading to poor results. There is a Max Attack parameter in the game; I believe it's set to five. So when an element is attacked the first five times it's at full effect, but every attack after that is less effective. This why adding a unit may decrease the odds because you're actually adding ineffective fire. This is mostly encountered when attacking a small defender. When I say small it's in terms of number of elements not strength. So for example if you're attacking a unit with three Tiger tanks with units having 50 elements in them, only 15 shots will be fully effective and 35 will be penalized each combat round.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 11
RE: Odd odds... - 12/20/2021 1:26:57 PM   
Octavian

Having a calculation that doesnīt work at all, doesnīt seem to help. Wild guessing and testing is a serious drawback
in having fun with the game. Hope Vic notices and has some remedy for this.

(in reply to warnevada)
Post #: 12
RE: Odd odds... - 12/20/2021 2:39:21 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedro0930

My guess on why adding unit sometimes reduce the predicted odds is because for example, adding tanks into a attack into heavy forest lower your predicted terrain bonus/penalty. The predictor doesn't weigh the unit size correctly/accurately, so it lowers your overall sigma.

You can always just ignore the predictor and use your intuition and develop your own heuristic. The predictor is only introduced in Shadow Empire. Before, there is literally no tool that tells the player how a battle will go. You figure out some rule of thumb. Look at the enemy entrenchment, readiness, terrain, and decides if you like the odds. And sometimes the outcome is still unexpected, then I'll go into the detailed combat report and quickly click through some rounds to see maybe the enemy just got some lucky rolls or a factor I didn't consider played a role.

Also there are just so many rounds units fight in a 'combat phase', so that batted old pzr unit taeks up rounds that could be utilized by another unit already committed thats more cohesive, higher vigor, better suited to terrain etc..

(in reply to pedro0930)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Odd odds... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI