Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright issues - 12/19/2021 8:42:31 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hello,

I'm working on a project to edit "Sahel Slugfest" to make it PBEM-able with the IKE framework.

2 questions:

a- Will my opponent need to buy the DLC ? My guess is yes. But I'd like to be sure it's the case (and that editing the scenario won't remove the DRM).

b- Can I publish the scenario (Steam workshop, forums, Discord, etc) for others to use it ? Or should I keep it strictly private ?

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/19/2021 5:46:26 PM   
Randomizer

Not a copywrite lawyer and have never played one on TV but: From the End User Agreement:

quote:

3.4. LICENSEE may not lend, distribute, lease, sell, transmit, transfer, publish, edit, copy, create derivative works, rent, sub-license, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise make any unauthorized use of the PRODUCT, PROPERTY or content, in whole or in part and shall not incorporate any portion of PRODUCT, or any part of the resulting software into an alternative Product(s), in any form, whether modified, or unmodified, without the express written permission of PUBLISHER;

Seems pretty clear that the answer is a resounding NO unless you receive permission from Matrix/Slitherine in advance and in writing.

Editing someone else's IP for personal use is generally fine but offering same for distribution without permission demonstrates a lack of respect for the content creators as well as probably violating the EULA.

Full marks for asking first though, well done.

-C

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/19/2021 6:51:06 PM   
nukkxx5058

But in this case the situation is different. Because to play the scenario in PBEM you will still have to buy it and get a proper license to be able to play it, because of the protection. So all involved players would necessarily own the license.
See the difference ? Hence my question.

Now there's the question of modifying the title with the ScenEdit and Lua ...

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/19/2021 7:09:02 PM   
Randomizer

Not at all different in any reasonable sense. You missed the part where any unauthorized edits of the product (CMO) violate the EULA. Presumably this includes all player edits with the aim of redistribution; aka uploading here or elsewhere. Still, wait for the Devs or Matrix staff to chime in.

-C

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 5:43:45 AM   
jannas34

I would be wary of putting any effort into content for this product, the publishers have a bad history with community work

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 5
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 6:01:58 AM   
Kushan04

Oh look we have a troll.

The 500+ scenarios in the community scenario pack plus the ones not in the CSP on Steam beg to differ.

(in reply to jannas34)
Post #: 6
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 6:18:01 AM   
jannas34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kushan04

Oh look we have a troll.

The 500+ scenarios in the community scenario pack plus the ones not in the CSP on Steam beg to differ.

Erm, did Matrix pay for the development of this content?

< Message edited by jannas34 -- 12/21/2021 6:19:04 AM >

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 7
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 7:16:58 AM   
alphali

Why should they? Do other companies pay players when they create mods and scenarios if they provide the tools for them? This is a sandbox, the scenarios are provided by the community like any other game.

(in reply to jannas34)
Post #: 8
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 7:22:24 AM   
jannas34

They sell it, don't they?

(in reply to alphali)
Post #: 9
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 8:18:25 AM   
alphali

The community created scenarios are available for free on steam workshop or community pack, they are not sold nor are they part of the base game. What do they sell ? The dlc's are either created by them or by people from the community and as far as I know they do get compensated for them.

Edit: oh I just saw your other posts... You're just a troll

< Message edited by alphali -- 12/21/2021 8:21:09 AM >

(in reply to jannas34)
Post #: 10
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 11:07:00 AM   
thewood1

If this actually had a clue to what he's talking about he might be dangerous, right Herman?

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to alphali)
Post #: 11
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/21/2021 7:59:31 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

Hello,

I'm working on a project to edit "Sahel Slugfest" to make it PBEM-able with the IKE framework.

2 questions:

a- Will my opponent need to buy the DLC ? My guess is yes. But I'd like to be sure it's the case (and that editing the scenario won't remove the DRM).

b- Can I publish the scenario (Steam workshop, forums, Discord, etc) for others to use it ? Or should I keep it strictly private ?

Thank you.

I would most definitely contact the developers and ask. I'm no legal expert by any means, but Game Devs and publishers vary wildly on how they handle modders (which is what this is).

Those that are mod friendly tend to let such projects go forward as long as it doesn't circumvent needing to buy the product (which your Idea doesn't).

The Command Devs definitely are friendly toward the community, and their reasoning for locking down the DBs makes perfect reasonable sense, as opposed to many other devs who lock down their content for arbitrary or a-hole reasons.

I would like to think they would be fine with it, but if they say no we all must respect that.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 12
RE: Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright i... - 12/22/2021 4:55:09 PM   
nukkxx5058

@HalfLifeExpert: Yes, you're right, technically speaking it's a mod.
I'm not sure how to contact the Command team other than here ... I thought they would answer.
Of course, if they think it's not OK, I will definitely respect it.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question to an admin about Scenedit and copyright issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI