Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

.37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on surface/periscope at full speed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on surface/periscope at full speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
.37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on surfac... - 12/19/2021 2:17:28 PM   
BDukes

Hi All

Noticed that diesel submarines are losing battery power while on the surface or periscope at full speed. Is this correct? Cruise and below they recharge.

Load scenario and take a look at FS Sirene. If you create a scenario and add a Kilo you'll see the same so not specific to type.

Attachment (1)

Don't call it a comeback...
Post #: 1
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 4:12:20 PM   
Schr75

Hi BDukes

This is correct. Modern subs are diesel/electric, not diesel or electric, meaning that they are powered only by an electric engine,
The diesel is only used to charge the batteries, not directly powering the sub.
When you are traveling at full speed, the electric engine uses more power than the diesel generator can supply, so your batteries are discharging, although at a slower rate than if the diesel generator wasn´t running.

Søren

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 2
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 4:41:11 PM   
stww2

LOL I think BDukes just outed himself as Captain Krueger from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!"

But seriously, as someone whose main familiarity with submarines prior to CMO came from the Silent Hunter series, this has caused confusion for me in the past too.

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 3
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 4:56:07 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schr75

Hi BDukes

This is correct. Modern subs are diesel/electric, not diesel or electric, meaning that they are powered only by an electric engine,
The diesel is only used to charge the batteries, not directly powering the sub.
When you are traveling at full speed, the electric engine uses more power than the diesel generator can supply, so your batteries are discharging, although at a slower rate than if the diesel generator wasn´t running.

Søren

Ok. So why does it happen only at full speed and not cruise or creep? Does charge rate exceed discharge?

Mike

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 4
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 5:02:35 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: stww2

LOL I think BDukes just outed himself as Captain Krueger from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!"

But seriously, as someone whose main familiarity with submarines prior to CMO came from the Silent Hunter series, this has caused confusion for me in the past too.

More like Captain Crunch with some of you guys

Be nice to your elders. Particulary those that offered you a free DLC at some point.

Mike

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 5
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 7:41:51 PM   
thewood1

Does charge rate exceed discharge?

Thats exactly it. At full speed, the diesels can't recharge fast enough. The diesels on modern diesels electric aren't part of the power train. They are only to recharge the batteries, from my limited knowledge. There have been several threads over the years on this and thats been the answer each time.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 8:56:52 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Does charge rate exceed discharge?

Thats exactly it. At full speed, the diesels can't recharge fast enough. The diesels on modern diesels electric aren't part of the power train. They are only to recharge the batteries, from my limited knowledge. There have been several threads over the years on this and thats been the answer each time.

Ok. Got to pick battles and ok if this is the consensus. If the devs think there is something up they will look.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 9:55:46 PM   
thewood1

I don't think its a battle to pick either way. I'm sure there is some combination of search terms that will bring up one of the multiple threads on it from both the CMNAO and CMO days.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 8
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 10:08:26 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I don't think its a battle to pick either way. I'm sure there is some combination of search terms that will bring up one of the multiple threads on it from both the CMNAO and CMO days.

Its not your fault. You're just trying to help

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/19/2021 11:51:01 PM   
thewood1

You're welcome.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 10
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 12:12:36 AM   
Randomizer

Except that there are several examples (see Blair's Silent Service) of WW2 Fleet Boats running for prolonged stretches at "Four-Engine Speed", presumably flank, ~20 knots and yet no mention of flat batteries at the end of the run. In fact, long surface runs at fleet speed, 21-knots, was a design requirement for the fleet boats before the War. If it is the case than did this characteristic extend to the GUPPY conversions? Anecdotally I questioned a friend who served as a stoker on the GUPPY HMCS Rainbow and as he recalls, once the batteries were fully charged, the boat could run at full speed for days, as long as the diesel fuel held out. He did mention that on high-speed runs they would run the fifth, small "donkey" engine a couple of hours a day just to keep the batteries fully charged.

The battery drain at speed also happens with the German Type VII, IX and XXI boats in the CWDB and yet these all had the diesels drive the prop shafts directly and so one would think capable of maximum speed without affecting the battery charge. It seems probable that the Soviet Type XXI derivatives also used direct drives at least as far as the Foxtrots if the anecdotes in Peter Hutchhausen's October Fury are to be believed. I suspect that the battery characteristic in CMO may be more a function of modern boats, which are not intended to operate on the surface for long transits at all.

I suspect that there is wiggle room to finesse this aspect of the CMO diesel-electric submarine modelling and am not sure that propulsion differentiation would be worth the actual developmental efforts necessary to change the current situation. It may be as simple as adding a drain-batteries yes/no flag to the DB's but then everything becomes simple if you don't actually have to do it. Certainly scenarios like The Enemy Below from the Silent Service DLC become easier if the Player's boat can run at speed on the surface.

-C

< Message edited by Randomizer -- 12/20/2021 12:29:27 AM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 11
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 12:34:17 AM   
thewood1

I could only find the threads in the updated Matrix forums that are not completely functional. The current matrix forum's search function is pretty crappy.

And I agree that almost all modern diesel-electric are not direct diesel drive power trains, but electro-mechanical. And I also agree that a general blanket solution was most likely put in place. Not sure if its worth the development time to change that. After WW2, the expectation was that the primary drive for subs would be electric, with diesel being focused on keeping batteries charged. It was a weight/space design decision. The change was also driven by improved battery tech and the tactical shift for subs to spend more time submerged than surfaced.

https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?p=4354841#p4354841

https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?p=3917925#p3917925

btw, German XXI boats had diesel generators that had less shp than the electric motor. They were called Elektro boats because the shaft was connected only to the electric drive. I have found the key to figuring out the drive design is if the diesel is listed as a generator vs an engine (btw, that's anecdotal...just looked like a pattern).

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 12/20/2021 1:26:22 AM >

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 12
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 6:19:14 AM   
Randomizer

quote:

btw, German XXI boats had diesel generators that had less shp than the electric motor. They were called Elektro boats because the shaft was connected only to the electric drive. I have found the key to figuring out the drive design is if the diesel is listed as a generator vs an engine (btw, that's anecdotal...just looked like a pattern).

Well, Norman Polmar in Cold War Submarines writes otherwise regarding the Type XXI, specifically that "Its huge battery capacity gave rise to the term 'electro' U-Boat". Also, he remarks on the four electric motors, two low-speed "silent" motors (~5-knots max) mounted on rubber-sprung platforms and the main motors, which gave the maximum 16-knot submerged speed. He makes no mention of separate generators, which leads to the conclusion that direct drive between the diesels and the props was fitted. Turbo generators mounted directly to the diesels was an advanced feature found pretty much only in American Fleet Boats of the time and would likely have drawn greater commentary if present in the German boats.

Hopefully someone has better sources on the propulsion of the Type XXI but when it comes to submarines, Polmar is generally a pretty solid reference.

-C

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 10:57:21 AM   
thewood1

u might be right. I think the Elektro boat got the designation because it was the first sub that had as much hp available in its battery drive train as in its diesel.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 14
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 11:19:18 AM   
thewood1

Post war USN evaluation of the Type XX!.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/Design/DesignStudiesTypeXXI.htm (Had the wrong link)

Section 40 (S40), pg 2-3. (paraphrasing) Discussion of the limitation of output of the diesel generators not enough to both run at speed on the surface and charge the batteries in a reasonable time.

There is also a point made that the batteries through the main motor were needed to supplement the diesels to attain 18 knots on the surface. It does appear that a gearbox and clutch system were designed to allow both diesels, through a generator, and batteries to drive the main motor and shaft. Correction: Both the diesel and battery drive trains appear to have seperate gearboxes with clutching systems to connect to the shaft.

As I mentioned before, it was the first sub designed around the battery and then a diesel was designed in at whatever weight was left over. The USN thought it was a significant weakness that the diesels couldn't drive the boat at full surface speed without also discharging the batteries. And that the diesels couldn't give a timely recharge at speed on the surface. But the conclusion was that this was offset by the speed and endurance submerged.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 12/20/2021 6:10:01 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 4:23:58 PM   
BDukes

Thanks guys!

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/20/2021 8:07:58 PM   
thewood1

Just a final comment on post-ww2 Diesel-Electric subs. Almost all D-E subs designed after the XXI used the same power design approach. Design the electric part starting with the weight of the batteries needed to drive underwater speed requirement. Then add the generator weight. Only then is the diesel added in to get the largest one the remaining weight budget allows. Its still a balance, but battery technology advancement allowed a lot of diesel hp to be sacrificed. I went through most of the post-war US, French, Russian, and German subs and found that the battery power generated was either equal or exceeded the diesel generation capacity. The further you got from the war, the greater the difference seemed to be between power from batteries and power from diesel power. Example, a German post-war 205/6 design had twice as much battery power capacity vs its diesel capacity. A WW2 Type VII had almost three-times the diesel power as its battery power. Sources are Janes, wikipedia, World Submarines (Covert Shores pub.), Submarines (Chartwell Books pub.)

PS...there are a few exceptions on the power ratios right after the war in France. But it looks like those designs were pre-war and just carried over post-war as new designs.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 17
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/21/2021 5:23:02 AM   
boogabooga

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Except that there are several examples (see Blair's Silent Service) of WW2 Fleet Boats running for prolonged stretches at "Four-Engine Speed", presumably flank, ~20 knots and yet no mention of flat batteries at the end of the run. In fact, long surface runs at fleet speed, 21-knots, was a design requirement for the fleet boats before the War. If it is the case than did this characteristic extend to the GUPPY conversions? Anecdotally I questioned a friend who served as a stoker on the GUPPY HMCS Rainbow and as he recalls, once the batteries were fully charged, the boat could run at full speed for days, as long as the diesel fuel held out. He did mention that on high-speed runs they would run the fifth, small "donkey" engine a couple of hours a day just to keep the batteries fully charged.

The battery drain at speed also happens with the German Type VII, IX and XXI boats in the CWDB and yet these all had the diesels drive the prop shafts directly and so one would think capable of maximum speed without affecting the battery charge. It seems probable that the Soviet Type XXI derivatives also used direct drives at least as far as the Foxtrots if the anecdotes in Peter Hutchhausen's October Fury are to be believed. I suspect that the battery characteristic in CMO may be more a function of modern boats, which are not intended to operate on the surface for long transits at all.

I suspect that there is wiggle room to finesse this aspect of the CMO diesel-electric submarine modelling and am not sure that propulsion differentiation would be worth the actual developmental efforts necessary to change the current situation. It may be as simple as adding a drain-batteries yes/no flag to the DB's but then everything becomes simple if you don't actually have to do it. Certainly scenarios like The Enemy Below from the Silent Service DLC become easier if the Player's boat can run at speed on the surface.

-C

Just going to drop this here for the fleet boats, but if you have an engine hooked up to a DC generator, then you theoretically SHOULD have the capability to run the electric motor 'directly' off of that current OR use that current to charge the batteries (or some combination of both). I consider the direct drive shaft argument to be a red herring; that saft is not a requirement for-let's say- propulsion without using batteries. That seems to be the fleet boat approach: https://usscod.org/forwardengine.html

I get that "modern" DE submarines usually have relatively anemic diesel engines relative to what the electric motor is capable of putting out, but one could think of more general/flexible CMO modeling approaches, for those of us that spend most of our time in the CWDB. ;)

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 18
RE: .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on su... - 12/21/2021 7:24:42 AM   
jannas34

this is ****ed its ruining my game

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> .37 Diesel Submarines Expending Battery while on surface/periscope at full speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI